The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This is what 60 Pounds (27 KGS) Looks Like

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Where is @Vigilante ?

I want the feedback from the 5K. Did he take a wrong turn and is still traveling? Did he decide to do the Forest Gump thing and just keep going across the country?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Plasma

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 4, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
I HIGHLY recommend watching this (or listening to it) -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1jXS6Ue3GM

It's full of incredible information regarding "diet".

Mark and Tom are both awesome guys. In fact, Impact Theory happens to be my favorite thing to listen to/watch. I've gotten at least one "golden nugget" of potentially life-changing advice in each and every video.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Way to go Vig!!!

I put myself in Ketosis last week just to see what it felt like. Crazy what the body does when you switch fuel sources.

I admire all of you guys and gals for taking this on!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Well Vig I truly thank you, you have gotten me to look at food labels again. I had not done it in a while.

BBQ sauce. It is more than 50% sugar. WTF? I want a BBQ Flavor, not a candy flavor. What a joke. Guess I am going to start making my own BBQ sauce now!

I tried a no sugar added bar-b-que sauce this past Sunday night on some 96% lean ground steak (no bun). Passable. Not great, not terrible. Homemade would be way better.

G Hughes brand. Suclarose was the only ingredient that I could have done without.

Home

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Im going to add my shit here because it is relevant. I was at wegmans yesterday with my brother and found this.....

FpSeRpG.jpg

They do have "power meals" which are far more healthy options, but for anyone out there that is so tuned in to work that eating is more of a burden than an experience, this seems like an easy way to at least start eating decent food. Yes the green beans are probably cooked in butter, sugar, salt, and pepper. But it is better than fast food at the same cost. Each of these meals was roughly 1lb i think, 800 calories or something, and about $8-$9.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Im going to add my sh*t here because it is relevant. I was at wegmans yesterday with my brother and found this.....

FpSeRpG.jpg

They do have "power meals" which are far more healthy options, but for anyone out there that is so tuned in to work that eating is more of a burden than an experience, this seems like an easy way to at least start eating decent food. Yes the green beans are probably cooked in butter, sugar, salt, and pepper. But it is better than fast food at the same cost. Each of these meals was roughly 1lb i think, 800 calories or something, and about $8-$9.

Wegmans is the bomb. Wish there was one in this area, but your point is valid. This is out there almost everywhere if you change the cycle. Change the pattern. My wife and I last week were in a store similar to whole foods. Guess what... it's been here the whole time. We just never darkened their doorstep.

So we have a choice at lunch today. We can run down to Publix and grab a pub sub... or we can decide (for the first time ever) that we're done with that shit and plan to engage on a totally different level.

My breakfast this morning was a South Beach shake. It wasn't great, but it's just...fuel. I've been on "diets" before but I have never been intentional about a radical, rest of my life fix.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
It wasn't great, but it's just...fuel.

I guess it'd be good to mention that key here. I am always about simple keys you anchor in your mind that mean much more to you that help you mold your thought process. Almost like a chapter title.

"You wouldn't put shit gas in a Ferrari and expect it to perform, so why load your body with junk food and complain about feeling bad/tired/unfocused/labored/foggy/lazy/unmotivated/{insert your excuse here}/etc"

You make the choice every time you eat, to be exactly where you are at right now. Nothing else in the world determines what you shovel in your mouth unless you are a baby, in prison, or geriatric/hospice. So there is literally no one to blame but yourself.

The good thing is.... all you have to do is make a choice to do something different. The rest is 'easy'.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I guess it'd be good to mention that key here. I am always about simple keys you anchor in your mind that mean much more to you that help you mold your thought process. Almost like a chapter title.

"You wouldn't put sh*t gas in a Ferrari and expect it to perform, so why load your body with junk food and complain about feeling bad/tired/unfocused/labored/foggy/lazy/unmotivated/{insert your excuse here}/etc"

You make the choice every time you eat, to be exactly where you are at right now. Nothing else in the world determines what you shovel in your mouth unless you are a baby, in prison, or geriatric/hospice. So there is literally no one to blame but yourself.

The good thing is.... all you have to do is make a choice to do something different. The rest is 'easy'.

I read something that said that at night your body cleans up your blood (as much as it can based on where you're at heading into the evening and overall health). So, in the morning, you start with a relatively clean slate, and your job for that day is to just not f*** it up.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
I tried a no sugar added bar-b-que sauce this past Sunday night on some 96% lean ground steak (no bun). Passable. Not great, not terrible. Homemade would be way better.

G Hughes brand. Suclarose was the only ingredient that I could have done without.
Paging @Scot... When you get your bottling plant up and running, here's your next product line.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Paging @Scot... When you get your bottling plant up and running, here's your next product line.

Sugar is actually fine on our diet surprisingly, so if I do a BBQ I’m gonna sugar it up. Artificial sugars are a big trigger for my diet too. So, sorry @Vigilante can’t help you there. Maybe look into paleo BBQ sauces?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Totally right as this was an average product, not great, and literally the ONLY THING ON THE SHELF.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Try a North or South Carolina style BBQ sauce. Mustard and/or vinegar base. Done right, they are good and very low to no sugar.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Im going to add my sh*t here because it is relevant. I was at wegmans yesterday with my brother and found this.....

FpSeRpG.jpg

I see mashed potatoes and small potatoes in there. CARBS! Run!

As I mentioned on an earlier post, we grind cauliflower in a blender to substitute for mashed potatoes.

I've noticed "lean cuisine" frozen meals always have about half carbs. I asked a health fanatic that I know why that is? He said they are counting calories - not carbs.

Of course. Now it is all becoming clear. Low calories is not a good diet - low carbs is much more effective. That, I see, is finally starting to come out.

Whenever I see carbs I turn around and run fast the other way. Well, not fast exactly - but I'm getting there ~

funny-gif-lizard-running.gif

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am going to rock some Jennie 'O turkey pepper jack burgers this evening.

In a McDonalds quarter pounder, there are 450 calories and 38 grams of carbs.

In the pepper jack turkey burgers, there are 250 calories and 1g carb.

Here's hoping they're edible. They smell awesome while they are on the grill.

Last edited:

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado

Your choice of course, but I would take sugar over sucralose any day. Google "sucralose toxin" and you'll find plenty of natural-foodie-fanatic sites saying it's poison. BUT you'll also find some scientific studies that raise serious questions about whether you want to put the stuff in your body. I've decided I don't.

There is also some evidence that sucralose and similar sweeteners may confuse your body and actually cause you to GAIN weight.

I believe sugar isn't good for you, but I think it's safer than the artificial alternatives.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado

Thank YOU Vig for this post.

My wife and I have radically changed our diet. I lost my first 20 pounds. 17 days. That's not so much credit on my work, but rather how damn fat I was. I'm at 300 now. That's still 30 more than where you started, right @Vigilante? I have a long ways to go, no doubt.

Tip that might help. Read LABELS on everything! Got some protein shakes. You have to look at the labels even on those. They may be low in calories, but NOT in carbs. The ones I got made by GNC taste the best of any I've had (Chocolate) and have only 3 g carbs I believe (Sams Club). Most had 15-20, or more. I aiming for a max of 20 or less a day, which I am surprised is not hard to do.

Feel great.

Owe it all to you big guy - I don't know how long anyone can call you big guy - hopefully not too long! Macho man has a nice ring to it. [cue Village People background music]

YOUR turn. I check this post every day. We need more good news from you!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thank YOU Vig for this post.

My wife and I have radically changed our diet. I lost my first 20 pounds. 17 days. That's not so much credit on my work, but rather how damn fat I was. I'm at 300 now. That's still 30 more than where you started, right @Vigilante? I have a long ways to go, no doubt.

Tip that might help. Read LABELS on everything! Got some protein shakes. You have to look at the labels even on those. They may be low in calories, but NOT in carbs. The ones I got made by GNC taste the best of any I've had (Chocolate) and have only 3 g carbs I believe (Sams Club). Most had 15-20, or more. I aiming for a max of 20 or less a day, which I am surprised is not hard to do.

Feel great.

Owe it all to you big guy - I don't know how long anyone can call you big guy - hopefully not too long! Macho man has a nice ring to it. [cue Village People background music]

YOUR turn. I check this post every day. We need more good news from you!

Congrats on your early success.

Things are about to get tougher. Here's what I mean :
  • The weight loss is going to slow down
  • The compromise positions will create a slippery slope
  • Old habits can be allowed to creep back in
  • The honeymoon period is over
  • Now it has to settle in as a lifestyle vs. a diet
For me, there is no turning back. This wasn't a phase. This wasn't a strategy. This was a life change. I will spend the next year grinding down what I spent two decades building up.

Don't compromise. The things that brought you this far will continue to work. Don't get discouraged when things slow down, as I am telling you right now they WILL slow down. You might go through days (or a week) without a significant drop. It happens. Don't stop. Don't compromise. Don't go back. Not even one piece at a time.

I had two craft beers at a friends birthday party over the weekend. They tasted great, but I felt like SHIT the next morning, both physically and mentally. I should have only had ONE. So... I'll fix it. I don't want that any more. The silver lining is the old me would have had 6 and not thought twice about it. The new me doesn't want that. I want who I am becoming MORE than I want the temporary fun of a great craft beer.

Don't compromise what you want the most for what you want right now. Hold the course.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
IMG_20180624_150336.jpg So Saturday night my better half made a shrimp and kale salad with pistachios. There's a whole other world out there waiting to be discovered. It kicked a$$.

bporiss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 25, 2018
Weight loss is the biggest issue of the current generation as people find it difficult to lose weight due to many reasons. I think with the advancement of technology, the usage of body muscles have become very less as every work is done by the machines. So, you need to reduce the usage of machines in order to stay fit as far as I think.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
This was a life change. I will spend the next year grinding down what I spent two decades building up.

I remember hearing long ago "It took 10 years to get this way, it doesn't change over night" It was related to relationship problems, but it holds true for most things. People get frustrated with progress except they don't have the full perspective to see what they built took years, and they are changing it in months. Don't expect it to change in just days, no one is superhuman.

AKA.... PATIENCE (to simplify)

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana

I bet they tasted better than a McDonalds quarter pounder too.

Personally, I've found turkey burgers to taste just as good as half of the beef burgers I've had. Sometimes even better, since the leanness makes the burger feel a bit 'lighter' (if that makes sense).

Also, you can make a fantastic kale salad by slicing sweet potatoes real thin and roasting them in the oven. Then put your kale in a big bowl, throw in olive or Grapeseed oil, and a sliced up avocado. Toss heavily, let it marinate (at least ten minutes), then toss in the potatoes.

If you're a fan of avocados, the salad is A+. The oil mixes with and breaks down the avocado to form a delicious dressing.

Add in protein to make it your entree.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Vigilante and anyone else starting a weight loss journey -- you might consider trying healthywage.com. You can make a bet -- for example, say that you will lose 20+ pounds in the next 6 months. You pay each month and win $$$ at the end if you hit your goal. This might be a way to use sunk costs to your own benefit, "forcing" you to lose the weight to avoid the financial loss of not hitting your goal.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Final update for a while.

::May 16, 2018 : 275 pounds.::

::May 24, 2018 : 266 pounds.::

::June 17, 2018 : 259.9 pounds.::

::June 29, 2019 : 255 pounds.::

I am at a month and a half since I started South Beach/low carb and a new life. I am down 20 pounds since my first post on the topic and since the meetup in Scottsdale. I feel great, sleep better, eat healthy, drink zero sodas, drink crazy amounts of water, still enjoy sugar free rock stars (but maybe 1 a day).

Your encouragement to me was extremely valuable. I've been on "diets" before but never changed my life. Just the concept of a diet gives people an out, because there's always an end. People convince themselves that it's just short term. That's the trap. The things that creeped into my life as a reward/relaxation/enjoyment system ended up harming me. So they had to go.

I am happy to report to you that there is no turning back. The people that come to the summit next year will see a different person. While I am no triathlete (yet?) nothing is off the table. I'll get to the soccer health I mentioned earlier, and I'll get up on that paddleboard. I will revisit this thread now for milestones and post a few pictures, but it's time to bring the regular updates to a close as I am bored with them.

I've maintained an almost perfect change of life for six(?) weeks, with no intention of that being a fad or a phase. So the grind down from here will be consistent, slow and steady. Next milestone is breaking into the 240's, which will happen late summer. Since I have fixed the way that I look at food, the way I consume food, and the way I treat my body, health is returning. Measurable in more aspects than I even realized.

Interesting to me that the things that once attracted me now repulse me. That guy is dead. As @LightHouse said, now I am just waiting for my body to catch up, and it will.

At some point, I will increase my physical activity to accelerate the reshaping of my body, and for my cardio vascular health. And guess what, kids. Next year in Scottsdale you'll be taking me on the hiking tours. That's the life I am heading towards.

In golf terms, I am definitely on the back 9 of life, but I have much life left to live. To those of you here who have encouraged me directly, or even indirectly through your own lifestyles, thank you.

A note to the fatties (hey, I am one of you so I can address my fellow club members) : Making the decision was hard. Really hard. Starting a diet is EASY. Changing your life is hard. But I can tell you that once I resolved in my mind that I had to break myself and remake myself... after the decision was made, the food choices are NOT HARD. We all know what to do. And for me, I can tell you that the tradeoff was and will remain 100% worthwhile. No regrets. No cravings. No desire to be that guy.

I wrote this thread first for me, to put it out there as a catalyst and public declaration of independence from fatville. I left myself no choice but to win. And win I will continue. I did this for me, and a distant second for my wife and kids. My youngest deserves and old but soccer playing Dad, and that's what she will get.

And I journaled this for you. I am with you, and have been in your shoes. And I wrote this so that you know that if this older (and probably fatter) guy can radically move in a different direction, you can too. Start today. For real this time. Don't diet. Fix. Change. Start. I'll be looking for YOUR progress thread, and will be cheering you on the whole way. Start. If you have taken anything from this thread, it should be this. Don't diet. Implement a wholescale radical all in change. Once you get there, the littler decisions like what to have for lunch aren't even really decisions. There's a natural balance your body will find if you let it. So let it. My body wasn't supposed to be 275 lbs. It will never be again. I need to improve my score on the back 9, and I hope within the words of this thread you have found the courage to start on your own path towards better health.

Updates from here forward from me will be major milestones, and perhaps a better picture of me at the next Scottsdale summit.

Thank you.

- Dave

Last edited:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

::May 16, 2018 : 275 pounds.::

::May 24, 2018 : 266 pounds.::

::June 17, 2018 : 259.9 pounds.::

::June 29, 2019 : 255 pounds.::

I am at a month and a half since I started South Beach/low carb and a new life. I am down 20 pounds since my first post on the topic and since the meetup in Scottsdale. I feel great, sleep better, eat healthy, drink zero sodas, drink crazy amounts of water, still enjoy sugar free rock stars (but maybe 1 a day).

Your encouragement to me was extremely valuable. I've been on "diets" before but never changed my life. Just the concept of a diet gives people an out, because there's always an end. People convince themselves that it's just short term. That's the trap. The things that creeped into my life as a reward/relaxation/enjoyment system ended up harming me. So they had to go.

I am happy to report to you that there is no turning back. The people that come to the summit next year will see a different person. While I am no triathlete (yet?) nothing is off the table. I'll get to the soccer health I mentioned earlier, and I'll get up on that paddleboard. I will revisit this thread now for milestones and post a few pictures, but it's time to bring the regular updates to a close as I am bored with them.

I've maintained an almost perfect change of life for six(?) weeks, with no intention of that being a fad or a phase. So the grind down from here will be consistent, slow and steady. Next milestone is breaking into the 240's, which will happen late summer. Since I have fixed the way that I look at food, the way I consume food, and the way I treat my body, health is returning. Measurable in more aspects than I even realized.

Interesting to me that the things that once attracted me now repulse me. That guy is dead. As @LightHouse said, now I am just waiting for my body to catch up, and it will.

At some point, I will increase my physical activity to accelerate the reshaping of my body, and for my cardio vascular health. And guess what, kids. Next year in Scottsdale you'll be taking me on the hiking tours. That's the life I am heading towards.

In golf terms, I am definitely on the back 9 of life, but I have much life left to live. To those of you here who have encouraged me directly, or even indirectly through your own lifestyles, thank you.

A note to the fatties (hey, I am one of you so I can address my fellow club members) : Making the decision was hard. Really hard. Starting a diet is EASY. Changing your life is hard. But I can tell you that once I resolved in my mind that I had to break myself and remake myself... after the decision was made, the food choices are NOT HARD. We all know what to do. And for me, I can tell you that the tradeoff was and will remain 100% worthwhile. No regrets. No cravings. No desire to be that guy.

I wrote this thread first for me, to put it out there as a catalyst and public declaration of independence from fatville. I left myself no choice but to win. And win I will continue. I did this for me, and a distant second for my wife and kids. My youngest deserves and old but soccer playing Dad, and that's what she will get.

And I journaled this for you. I am with you, and have been in your shoes. And I wrote this so that you know that if this older (and probably fatter) guy can radically move in a different direction, you can too. Start today. For real this time. Don't diet. Fix. Change. Start. I'll be looking for YOUR progress thread, and will be cheering you on the whole way. Start. If you have taken anything from this thread, it should be this. Don't diet. Implement a wholescale radical all in change. Once you get there, the littler decisions like what to have for lunch aren't even really decisions. There's a natural balance your body will find if you let it. So let it. My body wasn't supposed to be 275 lbs. It will never be again. I need to improve my score on the back 9, and I hope within the words of this thread you have found the courage to start on your own path towards better health.

Updates from here forward from me will be major milestones, and perhaps a better picture of me at the next Scottsdale summit.

Thank you.

- Dave

Absolutely Love this! I am so damn proud of you.

Just to close the feedback loop, you remember when we talked last week and you said something to the effect of " people like you (me) that eat well and are in tune with their bodies and health..." really stuck with me. So i decided this week to embody the person that people may think I am. I get, "do you work out?" all the time lately despite eating a taco bell burrito while this conversation is going on.... LOL. [PROTIP: Just buy smaller black fitted shirts, no need for the gym]

So this week on my accountability call, I set in no more fast food, 6am wake up w/ 20 min workout and a full bottle of water, last week i restarted fasting in the mornings as well. All I had to do was decide to no longer put trash in my body along with the good. I changed two other unmentionables this week as well that have had a large psychological impact.

One of the funny things you notice, and I've noticed every time I make a life change, is that you will identify poor words and phrases people say that were the old you....

"I want to eat better"
"It'd be nice to lose weight"
"I'll try to cut out fast food this week..." Thanks for checking me on this one @GlobalWealth

They are right, it is nice, you will do it, and there is no need to 'try' to do shit. Just need to make a decision and be a person of your own word. The psychological part is 80% of the equation and something you have 100% control over.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Come on @Vigilante back 9 of life? Don't even let that enter your mind. Some of the most amazing things in the world were created by those in that stage of life.

My Grandfather who recently passed away, dabbled in wood work throughout his life. When he hit his mid 70's he started to take it a bit more seriously. By the time he was 80 he started to take it very seriously. The pieces of work that he created in his 80's were absolutely mind blowing. He would find the most beautiful pieces of wood and glue literally hundreds of them together in particular patterns and then turn them on a lathe to make fantastic works of art. I should find a picture of them and show you. He started this at a time when the average north american does nothing more than eat toast and coffee every morning, and sit down to read a paper for the day, and that is all that they have planned.

If you read about myelin wraps at all, I believe that his intricate work is what kept him so sharp until the end. The only thing to stop him was a brain tumor that literally pushed the thoughts out of his head. Before that stage, he could out-think anyone I know. Keep using it, it lasts forever.

Staying fit and healthy extends the usable age of our bodies, and increases our quality of life almost immeasurably. It is almost an unfair advantage when comparing it to what sedentary lifestyle produces.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Come on @Vigilante back 9 of life? Don't even let that enter your mind. Some of the most amazing things in the world were created by those in that stage of life.

My Grandfather who recently passed away, dabbled in wood work throughout his life. When he hit his mid 70's he started to take it a bit more seriously. By the time he was 80 he started to take it very seriously. The pieces of work that he created in his 80's were absolutely mind blowing. He would find the most beautiful pieces of wood and glue literally hundreds of them together in particular patterns and then turn them on a lathe to make fantastic works of art. I should find a picture of them and show you. He started this at a time when the average north american does nothing more than eat toast and coffee every morning, and sit down to read a paper for the day, and that is all that they have planned.

If you read about myelin wraps at all, I believe that his intricate work is what kept him so sharp until the end. The only thing to stop him was a brain tumor that literally pushed the thoughts out of his head. Before that stage, he could out-think anyone I know. Keep using it, it lasts forever.

Staying fit and healthy extends the usable age of our bodies, and increases our quality of life almost immeasurably. It is almost an unfair advantage when comparing it to what sedentary lifestyle produces.

Don't you worry. My best days are clearly in front of me. Working on some amazing things.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013

If you have taken anything from this thread, it should be this. Don't diet. Implement a wholescale radical all in change. Once you get there, the littler decisions like what to have for lunch aren't even really decisions. There's a natural balance your body will find if you let it. So let it.

- Dave

I am convinced that this is exactly the mindset that works not just for dieting, but for everything.

Need to break a nicotine habit? Struggle with alcoholism? Wasting your life playing video games and living like a sluggard? On anxiety meds and living in a constant state of overwhelm?

You have to get to the point where the alcohol or the cigarettes or the meds or the video gaming repulses you. That guy, as you said, has to die. And then, as you wrote, it's essentially over, although it can take some time for your body and your life to catch up to the mindset shift.

I think the real billion dollar question is this -- what causes a person to have the sort of epiphany that Vigilante had? And can those sorts of transformations of the mind be created intentionally? If so, how?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I think the real billion dollar question is this -- what causes a person to have the sort of epiphany that Vigilante had? And can those sorts of transformations of the mind be created intentionally? If so, how?

Yes, I've done it what seems like 10 times this year. So much in fact, it's getting easier.

Part of what @Kung Fu Steve is teaching in his group. Once you understand the situation and what it means to you, you can create that kind of change everyday.

But like @Vigilante said, changing your life is hard... So why bother ;)

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado

Excellent thought. @msufan please start a thread on this topic. Your thunder, so I don't want to get in the way.

With the super-achievers we have here, this could be the crown jewel of the gold threads!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.