The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you store and backup data?

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
IBM expert warns of short life span for burned CDs

"Unlike pressed original CDs, burned CDs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD"

I think he's talking about the worst-case, but worst-cases are what we're talking about avoiding. If something is really important, you should probably re-create your backups every few years. The simple fact is that no one's ever tried to use a 100 year old cd. We can project their lifespans, but that's based on a stack of assumptions which may or may not hold true, as the CD rot shows.

I mean, practically speaking, your media is going to outlive the usefulness of most of your data, but there are probably some things that people don't ever want to lose, important photos for example. There should probably be a distinction between "backups" and "archives". When I go to visit family, they can pull out photos and documents from around 100 years ago. I think the current generation may have trouble doing that. Pretty much everything mentioned in this thread is good short-term, say for the next couple of years, but for 10-20? or 100? Even the prints made by most modern printers aren't going to hold up for that long.
By predictability I meant error scanning.
And I had no CD failing in my life so far. I have 20 year old working discs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
Entrepreneurs can afford it.
drives are like less then $40 anyone in a developed county can afford it, entrepreneur or not. Drives have moving parts so it can fail, just because it is from a desktop makes no difference.

Last edited:

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I push it to a git repo in Bitbucket. Working good for now but will probably need another solution soon

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
From my Database Administrator days:

“You’re only as good as your last restore, NOT your last backup.”

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
......How do you archive large 4K videos? (or even 8K, because entrepreneurs can afford it).....
Entrepreneurs also have no budget limit imposed when buying data storage devices.
Im confused. Are you asking how I currently archive or how would I archive if I didnt have a budget limit because both are two totally different things. :rofl:

Currently: I have a file server I built myself that stores it all. Every month I backup the entire server to an external hard drive that stays disconnected when not in use.

If I had an unlimited budget:
I would have an optical OC-768 40Gbps connection at 3 locations each with a file server running multiple hard drives in a raid configuration. And then have each server backed up to 100GB BD-XL M-Disks which are rated for 1,000 years.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
How do you organize files? What folder structures?

How do you archive large 4K videos? (or even 8K, because entrepreneurs can afford it).

In what way do you utilize HDD,SSD,USB,SD,DVD,BD,CD,LTO and etc.?

I need some advice because I feel unorganised when managing data.

Entrepreneurs also have no budget limit imposed when buying data storage devices.

What data do you have to store as there are so many different options.

You mentioned 4 and 8k videos, are you in that area?

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
moving parts so it can fail,
Anything can fail.
Flash storage can have power surges and transistor failure.
Cloud storage can have ceasing internet (temporary failure) or some of their technical problems can cause permanent data loss.
HDDs can wear out and also have head crashes (uncommon for new drives due to protection mechanism).

The failure probability increases for aging devices (10+ years), but is very, very unlikely in the first 5 years, if there are no manufacturing errors. And manufacturing errors from trusted brands such as SanDisk are also very rare.

But if an optical drive fails, the disc inside can easily be recovered.
And the only failure I ever had on an optical drive is an occasionally stuck tray from a drive (to be precise: TSSTcorp SH-S162).

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
moving parts so it can fail,
Anything can fail.
Flash storage can have power surges.
Cloud storage can have ceasing internet (temporary failure) or some of their technical problems can cause data loss.
HDDs can wear out and also have head crashes (uncommon for new drives due to protection mechanism).

But if an optical drive fails, the disc inside can easily be recovered.
And the only failure I ever had on an optical drive is an occasionally stuck tray from a drive (to be precise: TSSTcorp SH-S162).
What data do you have to store as there are so many different options.

You mentioned 4 and 8k videos, are you in that area?

I often record in 4K due to futureproofness.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I often record in 4K due to futureproofness.

OK, if you're editing those videos as well that's a lot of terrabytes you're storing up there.

I guess your storage solutions will very much depend on how long you tell your clients their videos will be around for. When I used to that I used to say 18 months, maybe some clients would get a longer (paid) extension.

As far as completed videos go, I would opt for a paid external storage solution, there are companies out there who will keep your data for as long as you pay them, and they are geared towards video production.

The RAW files I would keep on local HDD and external drives, just remember to plug in the drives every 6 months or so to make sure that they have up to date drivers to keep 'em going.

I'm sure there are plenty of render farms out there that also offer video data storage.

I feel you though, back in my day I was working off 2GB per minute of 1080p. I shudder to think what your per minute rates are with 4 and 8k.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
OK, if you're editing those videos as well that's a lot of terrabytes you're storing up there.

I guess your storage solutions will very much depend on how long you tell your clients their videos will be around for. When I used to that I used to say 18 months, maybe some clients would get a longer (paid) extension.

As far as completed videos go, I would opt for a paid external storage solution, there are companies out there who will keep your data for as long as you pay them, and they are geared towards video production.

The RAW files I would keep on local HDD and external drives, just remember to plug in the drives every 6 months or so to make sure that they have up to date drivers to keep 'em going.

I'm sure there are plenty of render farms out there that also offer video data storage.

I feel you though, back in my day I was working off 2GB per minute of 1080p. I shudder to think what your per minute rates are with 4 and 8k.
I do not need to edit anything.
I just watch the raw footage.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.