The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I liable as a 5% shareholder?

A post of a ranting nature...

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hello All,

I'm curious - what are the liabilities of being a shareholder in an organization? There seems to be conflicting advice online. A friend of mine who I was helping to get a business started randomly said one day, "You're going to be a 5% shareholder!". I didn't address it at the time or even make comments, brushed it off, as I didn't know when he was going to incorporate immediately, however I received a text this morning saying - "I've incorporated, you're a 5% shareholder!".

So I'm curious - is there any chance whatsoever of liabilities for being listed as a 5% shareholder on incorporation documents?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
My first thought is that no, you are not liable. People who own stock in companies are not liable for the activities of the companies, right?

Further, you're not an officer in the company and have absolutely no control over the decisions of the company, correct?

Still, talk to a lawyer.

AF77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 8, 2019
My first thought is that no, you are not liable. People who own stock in companies are not liable for the activities of the companies, right?

Further, you're not an officer in the company and have absolutely no control over the decisions of the company, correct?

Still, talk to a lawyer.

Not an officer is the key there.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If you're an employee or board member the company's general liability insurance will cover you just like it covers the company - for example if someone slips and falls, or if your product harms someone. So that's just a matter of having appropriate limits.

If you're a director or officer, you can cover your risk for suits regarding the governance of the organization using Directors and Officer's liability insurance. Likewise, if you are acting in a professional capacity (financial services, engineering, etc), you can get coverage under Errors and Omissions insurance.

Whether you can realistically be held liable depends on your position with the company. If there's any chance of being named in a lawsuit and needing defense, you can always make sure you have the appropriate types of liability insurance in place. That will transfer your risk to an insurance company that can afford it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.