The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Valet Trash Business - Seeking Advice

stedex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 25, 2017
Florida
Hi FastLane,

I am an entrepreneur my last business fell apart 2 years ago but I am now ready to move on to my next adventure. I am hoping to create a Valet Trash Business. Targeting specifically large apartment complexes. I believe the business can be extremely lucrative and can cash flow exceptionally well in a relatively short amount of time.

Unfortunately, those in the business are very tight knit and don't typically give out tips and tricks. So while surfing the internet I have come across this "course" for a Valet Trash Business. The National Valet Trash Business. I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with this, has anyone purchased it and is it worth the $497?

Lastly, if nothing else has anyone started there own Valet Trash Business? How is it going for you?

Thanks in advance to the forum and keep up the good work!

Best Regards,

stedex

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

stedex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 25, 2017
Florida
Here's a search I found about your particular question:

Trash Pick Up Service For Apartments

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply! I already went through that thread as well, but no one has even mentioned "National Valet Trash Business" which is why I created this new thread. I'm sure someone must have ventured farther than just the forum. Just looking to find new answers.

Thanks again!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I mean, really, what is there to know? Are you wanting to know how it's done or are you wanting to do this on a very large level and you want to know how to structure it all?

stedex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 25, 2017
Florida
I mean, really, what is there to know? Are you wanting to know how it's done or are you wanting to do this on a very large level and you want to know how to structure it all?

Hi thanks for the response!

I would like to build a company. I would like to focus on large apartment complexes in my area complexes with 250+ units. I believe with a few of these complexes on board, I can live a very comfortable lifestyle for me and my family.

I would also like to build it even bigger than that Valet Trash (the largest company in the business) services 990,000 units nationwide. My end goal would be 1,000,000 units. But for now my 10 year plan is to acquire 100,000 units. I don't believe that's unreasonable. I would also like to have 1,000 units within two years. And hopefully 10,000 units within 5 years.

For me to quit my job and focus on the business I would need at least 1,000 units to cover the company and my personal expenses. So any tips would be great.

My biggest question is when servicing do I take the garbage to the compactor or dump on site or am I actually taking the garbage to a landfill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
So let's think this out.... how on earth could you carry trash off the property and make near enough profit? Get you a small pickup (going to need as good mpg as possible). The Valet people furnish the special trash cans so I guess you would need those....? Personally I think if you just give a mat to set out by the door and people put their bags on the mat. Once a month you trade mats and wash the mats. Collect the trash, go put it in the apartment trash can. I've heard that people don't really care for the green cans the big service uses. Also, I've heard that the residence must pay for the service no matter if they use it or not.

Tomorrow I have to go deliver a washer to this lady (Wow is she HOT!!) and they have valet service. I'll ask her a few questions about it.... if she knows anything at all.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
My biggest question is when servicing do I take the garbage to the compactor or dump on site or am I actually taking the garbage to a landfill?

Why did you think you'd need to service 1,000 units to leave your job if you don't even know the answer to this very basic question? You can't project what margins will be without knowing the basics. No wonder why your last business failed. If you need to buy an ebook because you can't figure anything out then you're not cut out to be an entrepreneur.

I would first try to calculate how much everything would be to try and project margins. Then figure out how hard acquisition is.

stedex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 25, 2017
Florida
First off, minivan man the trash cans are not big and bulky as you think, at least they shouldn't be. They are made to match the decor of the apartment complex. Second good luck with the hot girl and thanks.

Third, at fhs8 I need 1,000 units because that's what the numbers show. You realistically only profit $1.00 to $3.00 per unit per month after expenses. I would consider that I need maybe 2,000 units. I know the mechanics of the business but some companies do it differently. And I wanted to see what people thought was better. And you have no right to call out my previously failed business, you don't know me. I am currently partnered in over a dozen companies which are healthy and doing well. I simply seek to have my own ship as I don't like to rely on others success for my own. And it was my very first business which has allowed to invest in those companies. I work because I want to, not because I have too.

Finally had you been intelligent enough to read my initial post you would see that I did in fact ask about a course. None the less, your ignorance is for a different conversation but with that I've already put you beneath me and deemed your comment irrelevant.
Thank you for your comment and maybe post about something other than business partnerships that don't work and hating on those who are learning from there mistakes. Maybe you should do the same.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I know what they look like, I saw one about 4 hours ago on a delivery. It's a skinny 13 gallon can. But by what I hear, people want to use their own trash can.

If you are charging $15 per apartment per month and only making $1-$3 profit per apartment there is a problem in Denmark. I do not believe the big guys are losing that much profit... they are smarter than that.

As for an e-book that costs anything over like $50..... no. I'd have a hard time paying over $2.99 for it.

Here is one for you, how about cleaning trash cans? A lady and myself had an idea like this almost 20 years ago but we never acted on it. She was in Tennessee and I was in Nebraska and we both owned residential cleaning businesses at the time. It would have been an easy add on but neither of us did it. She ended up owning an antique mall after she retired from cleaning.

North Texas Sanitation

stedex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 25, 2017
Florida
Thanks Minivanman, yeah I'm sure the numbers could be better but the big guys also own all of there equipment I would have equipment cost they don't have like trucks and stuff so with out that I could maybe get $4-$5 but if I'm taking it to the landfill I can't see it much higher than that.

Now if I'm just taking it to the compactor on site then yeah I can easily keep $6-$7 on $15 but again what would be in the point in that for the residents.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Rule 1: If people are selling courses on how to start a business, then that business has a low barrier to entry.

Rule 2: If the business has a low barrier to entry, then you won't make money.

Based off of those two rules. I would start a valet trash business that is different than what the course sells AND has a business model that raises the barrier to entry to stop the money chasers.

Property managers of large apartments hear pitches everyday for Valet Trash Businesses. You gotta come up with something that separates you from everyone else that has bought the course.

Maybe target apartments that are in more rural areas? The big companies probably only target apartments in the big city. You might be able to get a bunch of rural accounts and sell out to a national competitor idk. Just a shot in the dark on that one.

I'd personally trash this idea. This business model seemed to be hot a few years ago and has fizzled out once the money chasers came in. It also is a commodity service.

stedex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 25, 2017
Florida
Hey Spyt,

Thanks for the response. And that's why I was considering taking the trash to a landfill to stand out. I saw you live in Florida too and I've driven around to complexes and I have seen a ton of them without the service it makes me question why?

So I still believe there's a market for it especially with so many new constructions happening. I just think it's something I can scale quickly to say maybe 10,000 units then sell it to a big guy with either a big buy out or maybe get a residual off of the accounts. That's an exit strategy for me.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
In all of the apartment complexes that I know of that have this service it is not an option. You pay $x amount per month along with your rent. Now the resident doesn't have to USE the service but they have the option.

What is the point for the residents? A) They don't have to walk all the way to the trash can on the other side of the complex. B) People are lazy. C) Depending on the complex it makes them look nicer (Do you realize that a LOT of places make the residents put their trash out by the curb on Sunday or Tuesday or what ever-day night and it stays there until the maintenance guy loads it in his little hauler and puts it in the trash can the next morning?) D) The residents don't have a choice.

There is still PLENTY of room in the city for this business.

Equipment costs? Per resident the trash can or mat would cost what.... maybe $20-$30 with your name on it? 2-3 months and that's paid for. $2000 pick up so within 6 months you are breaking even. Am I missing something? Oh wait, I sure am, how about something the big guys don't offer.... selling the residents trash bags. Order through your website and you will drop off the next time you pick up their trash. It might not be a huge seller but it's extra profit. I'm a nickel and dimer type of guy.

Am I saying I'd do this business, well, I had the early chance several years ago and I decided not to so probably not and I'm really not sure why. But I do love businesses like this. Sub it out and you could make some dough.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Here is what will make you stand out, forget about taking the trash to a landfill (not really a bonus at all because they still need a trash can), go in to an apartment office prepared and talk to the manager about what you want to do. That makes you stand out. If you are a good salesperson you will succeed, if you aren't, this is not a business for you.

stedex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 25, 2017
Florida
Thanks minivanman for all of your posts. I was thinking about reaching out to some property managers soon.

CEO@22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 23, 2018
With this being my first post on TFLF take this as 100% complete lie's or 100% facts your choice. In order to maintain anonymity and not disclose my own path in this field for a decade. I would like to help the OP and anyone else looking to enter into this space.

1. OP you mentioned you want to enter into this space just to provide a good life for your family...you also mentioned you wanted to eventually grow it to 1,000,000+ units. - Please understand I am in no way discouraging you from attempting to achieve this however 1 million units is a massive amount of units in this industry. One in which the largest company to-date of this posting has not accomplished with millions of dollars in marketing and funding behind them. As a mentor, investor and up to you to decide "expert in the field" I encourage you to focus on a smaller goal which is more attainable.

2. Don't take the trash to the landfill, unless the price of fuel drastically decreases or you have a high startup investment in which case you may want to look into similar waste services like dumpster hauling and junk removal.

3. OP you mentioned this business is tight knit. I would say this industry is beyond tight knit and unless you are willing to put in the time to gain a potential customers trust this industry wont work for you. In the past 10 years there have been hundreds of new companies attempt to come into this space with only perhaps 15 actually being well-known with million dollar earnings.

4. The name of the company is Valet Waste not Valet Trash. Valet Trash is the name of the service and also Valet Living rebranded due to a poor (terrible) reputation and is now called Valet Living. - This makes no sense as the overall reputation of Valet Living has not improved nor has the service.

5. @minivanman - Yes people are lazy and so is your dog. The purpose is so residents of a community dont have to struggle with taking their waste down 3 flights of stairs in the middle of the night while holding their 2 year old baby in 1 arm and the trash bag in the other. "Convenience" - I've heard everything imaginable about complaints for this service however it is an amenity, if done right is helps with the cleanliness of a property and its "Convenient". If you don't believe the 1000 words I wrote here please believe its not going anywhere.

6. Using a mat or rug is a bad idea, people have tried it. Doesn't work = Pets, pests and bags fall over making spills in hallways.

7. @SquatchMan few things I agree with you mentioned a few I don't. Just because a business has a low barrier to entry it does not mean it will not make money. There are many business's who do just that. Setup in 1 week and are profitable the next day. Also if a company has a how to video it does not mean you also cant make money in it. Bad advice. You are right to make a differentiator any individually looking to enter this space must have a USP. (Unique Selling Point) or you will fail like so many others.

8. Im summary this is a great business to start if you are willing to put in the work like the majority of all business's. There is room for success here and it does not require much more than hard-work to make a "good living" for yourself and family. We will see what the next economic down turn does to everyone but good luck and I wish you success. - Sorry for typos or bad grammar.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.