The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10 Life Lessons From A Navy Seal

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Love this thread, and the speech. I've had experiences that were slightly different, which are mirrored by the comments below. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

It's how you handle the mundane things that create the person you are so you can handle the big things. I *really* like the circus analogy. Been there way too many times. I've never looked at it that way, though. This insight is particularly helpful. Wish I would have heard it a long long time ago though - I could have used it way back when when I was wondering "why is this sheet happening?"

I learned of a whole new world in the first 3 months of service. It would have been nice to have a role model and mentor like @jon.a found. Or to have found the teamwork and camaraderie from the article. What I found was that it was me against a world of people that wanted to intimidate me into submission. Although not an innocent teenager when the training commenced, I came out with a new found and jaded view of the world that served me well in my life.

That supervisor that calls you out in front of a group, expecting to intimidate you like he does the others-look at him dead in the eyes and respond with an even calmer voice than you normally have. Works wonders

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
"you are moments away from graduating. Moments away from beginning your journey through life. "

And ain't this quite the farce.

People beginning their journey through life at 23. I wonder how he felt when he said that, knowing full well that men were carrying rifles at 16 back in WW2. Hell, there were even 17 year old lieutenants.

Interpreting this speech as inspirational is nice. But really his speach is mocking them. He's probably gone through 10 times more hardening and preparation for life, for free, in those 4 months, than those students have in their 4 years.

Niko Bellic

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 5, 2017
FL
1979, I had re-enlisted in the Navy after a 2 year break, to clear my head. I had a goal to retire at a certain level. I had been given an opportunity that would put me on that track. I was going through Aircrew School in Pensacola FL. It was mostly physical, heavy on swimming. Really heavy on swimming. I was a "non-swimmer" and there were 11 intense swimming tests. I failed the first 4 and was set back to the next class starting 2 weeks later.

The Chief that ran the school called me into his office and explained that because I was a Vet and he didn't want me to just quit, he was providing me with 1 on 1 training to improve my swimming. The next morning I met my instructor. A SEAL, Chief Petty Officer. He was built like a fire plug. Nothing but muscles. Calm and soft spoken. The most intimidating person that I have ever met.

Lesson one was, "what can you do?"

"I can float and tread water some"

"Show me"

I did, it was okay.

Lesson two, he threw a 10 pound weight into the deep end.

"Go get it"

"sh*t, okay chief"

"don't get out of the pool"
"get back in the middle and tread water with it"

"sh*t, okay chief"

I struggled, floundered and dropped the weight.

"you're trying to kill me"

"I'm not authorized to kill you"
"go get your weight"
"if you die or get out of the pool, you fail"
"relax, the fear is all in your mind"
"if you don't quit on me, I won't let you fail"

8 years later, I was a Chief. Later a Senior Chief, my original goal.
I owed my career to that SEAL.

lol - "if you die or get out of the pool, you fail" - nice to see failure was not an option ;)

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
Great speech, especially for those aspiring to or are already on their journey towards entrepreneurship.

Thank you for sharing @Vigilante!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.