The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

D

Deleted52409

Something that cannot be stressed enough on the Fastlane forum is that people would be better off pursuing businesses in UNSEXY industries. Industries that FEW people are talking about because they are boring, unpopular, or possibly even unlikely to be discussed among the general public, and etc..

This is a good thing.

Many entrepeneurs don't want to run an UNSEXY business!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to run a fish cannery in the middle of the alaskan wilderness. Most aspiring entrepreneurs don't dream about collecting debt from strangers over the phone. And they definitely don't want to become chimney cleaners.

Again... this is actually a very very good thing. For the chimney cleaner, the cannery owner, and the debt collector who ignored every other entrepreneurs advise and did the exact opposite of Amazon FBA, Dropshipping, and Upwork Freelancing. Not everything has to be an online business you guys!

Why spend thousands of dollars marketing your oversaturated supplement in an extremely difficult market where every other personal trainer is selling the same thing that nobody will remember in 10 years? Especially if you can just open up a slaughterhouse and master the process and have customers come to you after barely even marketing your business in the last 5 years.

It may be gross and disgusting to witness animals being butchered up into pieces. But it's not your fault that the majority of people like eating animals. It's also not difficult to persuade someone to buy something if he already knows he needs it.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT UNSEXY BUSINESSES MORE OFTEN. BY CREATING THIS THREAD WHAT I AM DOING IS BUILDING AN ECHO CHAMBER WHERE WE CAN BRAINSTORM AND DISCUSS AS MANY UNSEXY BUSINESS IDEAS AS WE CAN POSSIBLY THINK OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have a business idea yet I want you to be mumbling the words, "think UNSEXY" until you find it.

In fact, I'll even give you a list of 100 random UNSEXY business ideas that may or may not interest you:

- Agricultural/Fish&Livestock related:
1. Bamboo Nursery
2. Mushroom Cultivation ( this is my current niche. In january I started a small farm in my basement. there is little competition but a very high barrier of entry)
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
15. Exotic Animal Breeding/Trading
16. Pineapple Plantation
17. Truffle Tree Planting
18. Agricultural Vehicles (such as Tractors )
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
25. Sugar Cane Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
29. Livestock Feed Production
30. Flour Milling

-Blue Collar Trades, Manual Labor & Manufacturing:
31. Construction Business
32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
37. Manure/Fertilizer manufacturing plant
38. Auto Glass Repair Shop
39. Auto Body Repair Shop
40. Laundry detergent/Cleaning chemical manufacturing
41. Medical Equipment (wheel chairs, hospital beds...)
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
52. Any other type of natural resource extraction
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
56. Aluminum Door Window Fabrication
57. Candle Making
58. Ginger Oil Manufacturing
59. Iodized Salt Manufacturing
60. Noodles Manufacturing
61. Rubber Band Manufacturing
62. Bread Making
63. Disposable paper plates/plastic cups manufacturing
64. Baking Powder Manufacturing
65. Woodworking
66. Granite Counter-top Installation Business
67. Cabinet Manufacturing

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
70. Blood/Sperm/Hair/Sperm other legal body part donation center
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
75. Acne Reduction Creams
76. Security Guard Service
77. English Teaching Abroad Agency
78. Drivers Ed School
79. Pawn Shop?? Maybe Payday Lending??
80. Pet food; not necessarily for dogs but also other pets such as Parrots, Turtles, and Hamsters...
81. Foreskin Restoration Devices; I dare you to google this
82. Porta-Potty Rental
83. Sex Doll Brothel; I threw up in my mouth a little bit but there are a lot of lonely guys out there.
84. Airplane Repossession
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
88. Caring for the elderly; people are getting older.
89. Wholesale Distributor
90. Medical Transcription Services
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
93. Other types of cleaning business/janitorial services
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry
98. Anything I didn't already mention that was on Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs"
99. If you are in a business with high barrier of entry you could offer consultation for a big price!
100. Selling "shovels" (accessories, equipment, add-ons, extensions, necessary components) to any industry that's ever existed including the ones I just listed.

Don't you understand...??? An UNSEXY business idea is not necessarily an ugly duckling. It doesn't matter what people think about her right now. She could become a beautiful swan if you feed and nurture her properly!!!! Don't be ashamed if people find out you own a slaughterhouse!!!!!!

Disclaimer: I am not saying that each and every single business idea will work for you. It's going to depend on multiple factors such as your personality, work ethic, the individual niche you are choosing and etc..Maybe none of them are for you and that's fine. I am also not an expert on most of these ideas. So you might want to do some research if you find one of these ideas worth executing. But that's not the point of this thread. My aim is to encourage other aspiring entrepreneurs to pursue UNSEXY business ideas!

So what are some of your UNSEXY business ideas??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Something that cannot be stressed enough on the Fastlane forum is that people would be better off pursuing businesses in UNSEXY industries. Industries that FEW people are talking about because they are boring, unpopular, or possibly even unlikely to be discussed among the general public, and etc..

This is a good thing.

Nobody wants to run a fish cannery in the middle of the alaskan wilderness. Most aspiring entrepreneurs don't dream about collecting debt from strangers over the phone. And they definitely don't want to become chimney cleaners.

Again... this is actually a very very good thing. For the chimney cleaner, the cannery owner, and the debt collector who ignored every other entrepreneurs advise and did the exact opposite of Amazon FBA, Dropshipping, and Upwork Freelancing. Not everything has to be an online business you guys!

Why spend thousands of dollars marketing your oversaturated supplement in an extremely difficult market where every other personal trainer is selling the same thing that nobody will remember in 10 years? Especially if you can just open up a slaughterhouse and master the process and have customers come to you after barely even marketing your business in the last 5 years.

It may be gross and disgusting to witness animals being butchered up into pieces. But it's not your fault that the majority of people like eating animals. It's also not difficult to persuade someone to buy something if he already knows he needs it.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT UNSEXY BUSINESSES MORE OFTEN. BY CREATING THIS THREAD WHAT I AM DOING IS BUILDING AN ECHO CHAMBER WHERE WE CAN BRAINSTORM AND DISCUSS AS MANY UNSEXY BUSINESS IDEAS AS WE CAN POSSIBLY THINK OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have a business idea yet I want you to be mumbling the words, "think UNSEXY" until you find it.

In fact, I'll even give you a list of 100 random UNSEXY business ideas that may or may not interest you:

1. Bamboo Nursery
2. Mushroom Cultivation ( this is my current niche. In january I started a small farm in my basement. there is little competition but a very high barrier of entry)
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
16. Pineapple Plantation
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
30. Flour Milling

32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
57. Candle Making
62. Noodle Making
65. Woodworking

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
78. Drivers Ed School
80. Pet food; not necessarily for dogs but also other pets such as Parrots, Turtles, and Hamsters...
82. Porta-Potty Rental
83. Sex Doll Brothel; I threw up in my mouth a little bit but there are a lot of lonely guys out there.
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry
99. If you are in a business with high barrier of entry you could offer consultation for a big price!
100. Selling "shovels" (accessories, equipment, add-ons, extensions, necessary components) to any industry that's ever existed including the ones I just listed.

Don't you understand...??? An UNSEXY business idea is not necessarily an ugly duckling. It doesn't matter what people think about her right now. She could become a beautiful swan if you feed and nurture her properly!!!! Don't be ashamed if people find out you own a slaughterhouse!!!!!!

Disclaimer: I am not saying that each and every single business idea will work for you. That will depend on multiple factors such as your personality, work ethic, the individual niche you are choosing and etc.. I am also not an expert on most of these ideas. So you might want to do some research if you find one of these ideas worth executing. But that's not the point of this thread. My aim is to encourage other aspiring entrepreneurs to pursue UNSEXY business ideas!

That's just how I've been thinking lately Johnny. I've looked into Hemp farming too but my proprty was too close to a school for NZ regulations. You've put out some great food for thought. How about selling "to" China instead?
The highest valued spices are jasmin and vanilla and there's a good reason for that,Google it and see the high entry.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012

This is a good thing.

1. Bamboo Nursery
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
16. Pineapple Plantation
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
30. Flour Milling

32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
57. Candle Making
62. Noodle Making
65. Woodworking

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
78. Drivers Ed School
82. Porta-Potty Rental
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry

Disclaimer: I am not saying that each and every single business idea will work for you. That will depend on multiple factors such as your personality, work ethic, the individual niche you are choosing and etc.. I am also not an expert on most of these ideas. So you might want to do some research if you find one of these ideas worth executing. But that's not the point of this thread. My aim is to encourage other aspiring entrepreneurs to pursue UNSEXY business ideas!

Oven cleaning business (have recently hired a oven cleaning service myself)

its a dirty job no one wants to do, very unglamorous, low skilled quick and simple so easy to train unskilled workers, every house has one, needs doing regularly so good repeat business. Quite a lot of existing competition/ franchises but like I said every house has an oven and people cant be bothered!

Also to add; commercial kitchen cleaning business. A friend works for such a business and apparently their is big demand for industrial deep cleaning of commercial kitchens on a one off and recurring basis.

Last edited:

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
I've been contemplating ideas for the elderly care space for a while now. And every idea I come up with ends with the same conclusion, Where the hell does the money come from?

For example: Dementia and Alzheimer caregivers give over 470 billion dollars a year in unpaid aid to loved ones who remain at home due to the outrageous costs of nursing homes and care centers.

• At $470 billion in 2013, the value of unpaid caregiving exceeded the value of paid home care and total Medicaid spending in the same year, and nearly matched the value of the sales of the world’s largest company, Wal-Mart ($477 billion). [AARP Public Policy Institute. (2015). Valuing the Invaluable: 2015 Update.]

If you really would like to change the world this is one way to do it. I was thinking of a way that medicaid/care could be subsidized and used to pay your friends and family for taking care of you, Or a home-care app that allows you to find trained "freelance" caregivers(but that comes with many problems of course, Especially vetting).

If anyone would has any ideas HMU, Or take this idea, but you better use it and change the world because a lot of people need help and with humans living longer alzheimers care is really going to begin taking an unprecedented toll on productivity and QOL in about 30 years.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Good thread idea.

But of course, the most important factor isn't "sexyness", it's "will it pay".

Two that jump out are clinical waste disposal and hazmat diving. Anyone involved in that stuff is getting solidly paid, because (1) it's unbelievably disgusting and (2) it has high barriers to entry.

High barrier to entry + no-one wants entry + people need it done whatever the cost = $$$$

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho

This is a good thing.

1. Bamboo Nursery
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
16. Pineapple Plantation
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
30. Flour Milling

32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
57. Candle Making
62. Noodle Making
65. Woodworking

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
78. Drivers Ed School
82. Porta-Potty Rental
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry

Doesn't matter if it's sexy or not. Most of them are like a regular job exchanging your time for money.

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017

This is a good thing.

1. Bamboo Nursery
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
16. Pineapple Plantation
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
30. Flour Milling

32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
57. Candle Making
62. Noodle Making
65. Woodworking

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
78. Drivers Ed School
82. Porta-Potty Rental
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry

I actually sold some sheep to a person a couple hours away who slaughters sheep/goats/chickens mostly for immigrants in the Midwestern U.S. This is something I have contemplated doing with lambs for the past several years as I have the facilities to do it and live near a fairly large city with sizable ethnic populations.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Doesn't matter if it's sexy or not. Most of them are like a regular job exchanging your time for money.

No sir. I know people that have started businesses on that list that are now rich and never work in the business.

It wasn't seafood cannery but it was seafood sales. They sell and deliver seafood all over the midwest. Now he visits the shop but he has a few cafe's around town he likes to play in. They are swingers so they travel all over 'swinging'. :)

I know a couple of guys that own scrap yards that are huge. Both guys go to the yards sometimes but they are mostly working on their race cars every day. Although, there is a guy in Dallas that owns a scrap yard that works just as hard as any of his employees every single day.

Ray owns a vending business, goes in every morning to read the newspaper then heads over to the other side of the building to work on his racecar. Then heads to the Smoke Pit to eat lunch and then home to take a nap.

While there are a lot of small plumbing and carpet cleaning businesses, I know a guy in each that never does any of the work. One of the guys, Howard, owns a window cleaning business too. They say there is a lot of money in the window cleaning business. Back when I first started Howard told me he could make me a millionaire if I started a window cleaning business. Not sure why I never did.....

I'm sure if I really thought about it I could find more. I stayed active in my cleaning business only because I loved it but there was 1 year I showed up 1 day. Granted I did go racing 5 days a week back then so when I did show up it wasn't like I stayed the whole day. I went from working 24/7 to basically answering my phone 24/7, even at the race track. For that business I'd still be answering the phone if I owned it. That was a part I really liked in that business. In my little home business now, I don't answer the phone. I get hundreds of texts a week so texts is the only way to keep track of them all. We now have a google number so I can look at the texts but my sales lady mostly keeps track.

Lots of the people that start these businesses could quit working IN the business but like me, they like to work in the business. There is a guy named Jonathan Pototschnik that started a mowing only business here in the Dallas area.... struck it rich.... now he sells software for the mowing industry and is still actively involved in the software business but he doesn't HAVE to be. I don't know if he is still active in his mowing business or not, I haven't talked to him in a 5-7 years. Last I heard he had bought a condo in Downtown Dallas.

Some of us just like to work. The difference is that if I wake up and choose to do nothing..... I can.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL

Everything is a regular job in the beginning, regardless of what it is. You have to put the work in it and once it's grown into a decent sized company that's stable and profitable, you hire people to run it for you and then you can do whatever the hell you want. You only have to check in on it periodically to make sure your managers are doing their jobs properly and everything is flowing smoothly.

I have one of those unsexy businesses and the first two years in business I worked 12 hour days consistently. Now some weeks i work 80 hours, but most weeks I work less than 10 hours, just depends on what I'm doing. The important part is that regardless of what I'm doing, the money still comes in.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I needed new leads and had troubles finding new boring industries to look into. Your list came at the exact right moment, man.

You've been repped. :clap::

D

Deleted52409

Good thread idea.

But of course, the most important factor isn't "sexyness", it's "will it pay".

Two that jump out are clinical waste disposal and hazmat diving. Anyone involved in that stuff is getting solidly paid, because (1) it's unbelievably disgusting and (2) it has high barriers to entry.

High barrier to entry + no-one wants entry + people need it done whatever the cost = $$$$

Absolutely! That's why I put a disclaimer at the end. The good news is that many of these ideas DO fit that equation you just created. But only as long as someone is willing to put in the time to expand it!

The thing about calling something a "regular job" is that this is exactly what can make it profitable! Because if a job is normal than people probably need it!

And yeah in the beginning you might have to trade time for money. That doesn't mean you can't keep expanding. You can automate the entire process by hiring employees, training them properly and then just managing them. Or even better.... you can hire a manager and then go hang out on the golf course.

True, there are tons of people that got successful doing what's sexy. There are a lot of successful musicians, fashion designers, restaurant owners, entertainers, pornographers, digital nomads lounging on a beach in Thailand, amazon arbitrage guru's and personal trainers.

I'd rather just do something boring nobody wants to do and/or has a high barrier of entry that isn't over-saturated with annoying "everyone should buy my course guru's" and is still in high demand.

D

Deleted52409

I have one of those unsexy businesses and the first two years in business I worked 12 hour days consistently. Now some weeks i work 80 hours, but most weeks I work less than 10 hours, just depends on what I'm doing. The important part is that regardless of what I'm doing, the money still comes in.

One of my mentors similarly talked about how he spent 2 years straight working 12 hours days selling mushrooms commercially barely breaking even before he could afford to hire a single employee. It's going to suck but the reward as people like you have described it is worth everything to me.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

This is a good thing.

1. Bamboo Nursery
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
16. Pineapple Plantation
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
30. Flour Milling

32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
57. Candle Making
62. Bread Making
65. Woodworking

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
78. Drivers Ed School
82. Porta-Potty Rental
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry

Great post... These ideas used to be inside the box thinking. Now Amazon being the box, ideas like this are low hanging fruit with major multi-million dollar opportunity. I’m a big fan of Mike Rowe by the way.

Now I’m not suggesting you pick from this list. The ultimate would be something totally off of everyone’s radar.

3 of my 4 businesses have almost no web presence at all. Wrap your head around that one. The difference is, I find my businesses incredibly sexy.

Last edited:

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

This is a good thing.

1. Bamboo Nursery
3. Garlic Farming
4. Beekeeping
5. Spice Production
6. Deep Sea Crab Fishing
7. Worm Farming
8. Lavender Farming
9. Tree Seed Supply
10. Seafood Cannery
11. Wool Production
12. Fish Farming
13. Cricket Farming
14. Nut Processing
16. Pineapple Plantation
19. Rubber Plantation
20. Pig Farming
21. Carrot Cultivation
22. Cattle Ranch
23. Slaughterhouse
24. Palm Oil Plantation
26. Dairy Farm
27. Onion Farming
28. Florist Business
30. Flour Milling

32. Plumbing Business
33. Electrician Business
34. HVAC Business
35. Waste Management
36. Garbarge Collection
42. Recycling Industry
43. Scrap yard
44. Pest Control
45. Painting Company
46. Landscaping
47. Chimney Cleaning
48. Carpet Cleaning
49. Crime Scene Cleanup
50. Graffiti Removal
51. Mining Industry
53. Lawn Care
54. The RV Industry
55. Machine Shop
57. Candle Making
62. Bread Making
65. Woodworking

- RANDOM MISCELLANEOUS:
68. Debt Collection
69. Vending Machines
71. Self Storage Units
72. Hair Wig making
73. Head Lice Removal
74. The Funeral Industry
78. Drivers Ed School
82. Porta-Potty Rental
85. Accounting Firm
86. Insurance Agency
87. Power Washing
91. Biotechnology Lab
92. Personal Assistant
94. Concrete Pouring
95. Bricklaying
96. Franchising
97. Healthcare Industry

Disclaimer: I am not saying that each and every single business idea will work for you. It's going to depend on multiple factors such as your personality, work ethic, the individual niche you are choosing and etc..Maybe none of them are for you and that's fine. I am also not an expert on most of these ideas. So you might want to do some research if you find one of these ideas worth executing. But that's not the point of this thread. My aim is to encourage other aspiring entrepreneurs to pursue UNSEXY business ideas!

Hydroponic saffron farming

Own a half way house for addicts (youd be AMAZED at how lucrative this is)

Private label an overpriced vacuum and start your own door to door "kirby vacuum" knockoff sales company (I managed one for a while)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
My main passive income stream is sure not sexy. I own a mobile home park where I rent my mobile homes to low to moderate income tenants. I own the private community of affordable housing in my town, along with the only self-service Laundromat. No, affordable housing and dirty clothes are not glamorous. But, my rentals are a dependable cash cow that comes with all the tax benefits of passive income. No, we don't live the "beautiful people's life" -- we actually chose to work -- hands-on, dirty work! But, we're very comfortable in our life, and basically recession proof. Everyone has to have a place to live and my Laundromat customers have to wash their clothes someday.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I have a friend that owns a self-serve car wash, laundromat, and liquor store.

They all make decent money.

The car wash is the easiest, the laundromat is vandalized on a regular basis and is a pita, and the liquor store makes the most money.

I have another friend that was in the property management business and was making HUGE money, but he sold it because it was constant baby sitting. Not his style. I kicked hit butt for not contacting me when he sold it.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
My post earlier, should have been Saffron not Jasmin, my apologies. Imagine the harvesting of thousands of crocuses to eke out a tiny amount of saffron, labour intensive work indeed.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can also suggest looking at government as a customer. The government is literally swallowing up 40 percent of our GDP annually. Where does all that money go? Some obviously to wages of government workers, but the rest (and then some) to businesses and contractors that serve the government.

As you drive around, as you go through life today, I encourage you guys to look at everything you see in common public areas that the government, local, state or federal probably pays for. Roads, grass, lawn services, street lights, government buildings, sewers, water, signs, cop car equipment, police body cams(saw one yesterday when he wrote me a speeding ticket), fire station equipment... that was just me spit balling. You hopefully get the picture. The government is literally the worlds biggest customer, and while everyone from here to China has been fighting over the eyeballs of Amazon customers, very few fight for the business of the government.

Think it sounds harder? My question is: Harder than what? Effectively adjusting strategy every 6 weeks to stay relevant to search, kissing customers asses on social media and managing inevitable bad reviews that can put you out of business isn’t easy. Quite frankly, if you’re looking for easy, keep your day job.

Last edited:

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
I thought about this thread when I was ankle deep in the mud feeding my sheep this morning in the dark. When my wife complains of the smell on nasty days, I always tell her that's the smell of money.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Sherman.jpg

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
My main passive income stream is sure not sexy. I own a mobile home park where I rent my mobile homes to low to moderate income tenants. I own the private community of affordable housing in my town, along with the only self-service Laundromat. No, affordable housing and dirty clothes are not glamorous. But, my rentals are a dependable cash cow that comes with all the tax benefits of passive income. No, we don't live the "beautiful people's life" -- we actually chose to work -- hands-on, dirty work! But, we're very comfortable in our life, and basically recession proof. Everyone has to have a place to live and my Laundromat customers have to wash their clothes someday.

The "icky" factor is what allows higher returns on mobile home parks than regular multi units , hats off to you!

D

Deleted52409

I can also suggest looking at government as a customer. The government is literally swallowing up 40 percent of our GDP annually. Where does all that money go? Some obviously to wages of government workers, but the rest, to businesses and contractors that serve the government.

As you drive around, as you go through life today, I encourage you guys to look at everything you see in common public areas that the government, local, state or federal probably pays for. Roads, grass, lawn services, street lights, government buildings, signs, cop car equipment, police body cams(saw one yesterday when he wrote me a speeding ticket), fire station equipment... that was just me spit balling. You hopefully get the picture. The government is literally the worlds biggest customer, and while everyone from here to China has been fighting over the eyeballs of Amazon customers, very few fight for the business of the government.

Think it sounds harder? My question would be harder than what? Effectively adjusting strategy every 6 weeks to stay relevant to search, kissing customers asses on social media and managing inevitable bad reviews that can put you out of business isn’t easy. Quite frankly, if you’re looking for easy, keep your day job.

As young people struggle to find decent jobs, the demographics of my generation seem to favor a more socialist "Bernie Sanders" style system which will probably turn the country into an anglo-saxon Brazilian "paradise". So this one will definitely make a ton of sense as the government expands; it's already way too large.

Maybe producing something military related could also be interesting?? Hmmmm... you're definitely on to something...

EDIT: Something that just came to mind: Weren't a lot of today's Russian oligarchs formerly active members of the communist party?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
As young people struggle to find decent jobs, the demographics of my generation seem to favor a more socialist "Bernie Sanders" style system which will probably turn the country into an anglo-saxon Brazilian "paradise". So this one will definitely make a ton of sense as the government expands; it's already way too large.

Maybe producing something military related could also be interesting?? Hmmmm... you're definitely on to something...
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 10.15.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 10.18.46 AM.png

160 Billion dollars worth of value right here... Literally created out of government contracts and not much else. That is 160,000 Millions.

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
My son is finishing up high school next month having spent the last 2 years in a vocational program to be a diesel mechanic. He will have no shortage of job options right out of the gate, with no debt and a solid skill set I hope he leverages into Fastlane opportunities.

He has been a mediocre to terrible traditional high school student depending on the day, but has excelled at being a mechanic. Not a lot of people out there who don't mind getting dirty.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

EDIT: Something that just came to mind: Weren't a lot of today's Russian oligarchs formerly active members of the communist party?

according to Walter Hay getting government contracts is next to impossible, big players with money can price you out by taking a loss (also nepotism), worth a shot though, hell sales is a people business - maybe you can get in on the nepotism with a little facetime. Military related you're up against big big big fish with deep pockets, military is too sexy

in that vein...what about...who rents portapotties to FEMA? , where do they get the hygiene goods that go in the MRE's? , they have enlisted personal as medical on bases but who supplies the tongue depressors and the paper to cover examination tables?

or to avoid the nepotism and big deep pocket government contract whales, whos the decision maker on your local government? that might be worth looking into, when a stop sign gets knocked over wheres a new one come from? who supplies the asphalt to fill local potholes?

as an aside I was thinking about the nepotism recently with that situation in puerto rico

this deal FEMA Contract Called for 30 Million Meals for Puerto Ricans. 50,000 Were Delivered.

back of the napkin, 156 million dollars for 30 million meals,

I went to the site for that meal in a bottle "soylent" , buying 144 bottles 2.83 a bottle, even assuming no discount for bulk thats 83 million dollars for the 30 million meals (and soylent has a number of competitors to fill in production gaps, including nestle),

price to have them packed into crates with parachutes attached and air dropped by a fleet of rented c130'sC-130/L-382 Hercules Aircraft Charter Capabilities | Lynden Air Cargo ... well no idea but I think less than the remaining 73 million?

that all took me 3 minutes to google , they should have awarded me the contract!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I know a guy that makes a ton of money... He owns 10 trucks, tools and employs 10 HVAC guys... He also owns a ferrari, a million dollar home, plays golf at the nicest club in the area and it definitely isn't a stretch.

D

Deleted52409

My son is finishing up high school next month having spent the last 2 years in a vocational program to be a diesel mechanic. He will have no shortage of job options right out of the gate, with no debt and a solid skill set I hope he leverages into Fastlane opportunities.

He has been a mediocre to terrible traditional high school student depending on the day, but has excelled at being a mechanic. Not a lot of people out there who don't mind getting dirty.

My biggest regret of highschool was that I never took the HVAC program at the career center. It's unfortunate that people would rather major in underwater basket weaving and then join Antifa but it is what it is. Mike Rowe was in an amazing video based on this topic:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
My biggest regret of highschool was that I never took the HVAC program at the career center. It's unfortunate that people would rather major in underwater basket weaving and then join Antifa but it is what it is. Mike Rowe was in an amazing video based on this topic:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
My son and I were having a conversation a couple months ago and I asked him how he liked his class and working on diesel engines. He said he didn't really like it and would rather be working on his car or other hot rods, but that's where the money was. No idea where the kid got that mindset from, lol.

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
I love this. This is just what I needed. Like everyone else, I've been chasing the next big tech/online trend and trying to capitalize while the iron is hot (see my 3D printing thread). I also have a year-long Amazon FBA progress thread that can almost be deemed a failure. I've been all over the place with ideas. But now I think I need to chase the best opportunity instead of the next big thing.

I live in a resort/beach area that has to have plenty of unsexy opportunities. Grocery delivery, luggage service (I really like this one), Italian ice/ ice cream cart (can cater to the health-conscious crowd), boat/yacht cleaning, and RV cleaning are just a few things I can think of right now.

Thanks for posting. Rep+

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.