The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What books do i read

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
I noticed that you write in lowercase, don't punctuate and you keep doing it even though people called your attention on that.

People that are into graphology would say that this is a clear sign of low self-steem or carelessness.

I don't know if this is your case but if it is, you should do something about it ASAP. And the best way is to start writing some goals and completing the easiest ones to get some quick wins and start gaining momentum.

Managing 1$ million is not learnt by reading books but by mastering how to manage 1 dollar , and then 2 dollars, then 3, then 4, 5, 6, and so on.

You'll learn financial literacy the right way, by practice.

I HIGHLY encourage you to read "The ONE thing" and DO what it says.

My suggestion for a goal you can start implementing right now: To pay attention to how you write.

Or you'll miss many opportunities because some people won't take you seriously.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
i was hoping someone would know exactly what books or exactly what I'm supposed to read but i guess i do have to search for information i need on my own

Before you work on financial literacy, you should go ahead and work on literacy.

Might I suggest this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C46AKKS/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

It has GREAT mistake ridden reviews like: "Our child went from non verbal to talking over 50 words with the help of This!!"

Last edited:

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Before you work on financial literacy, you should go ahead and work on literacy.

Might I suggest this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C46AKKS/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

200w.gif

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY

It has GREAT mistake ridden reviews like: "Our child went from non verbal to talking over 50 words with the help of This!!"
I can clearly see the lowercase I's and the fact that i didn't put periods where i needed to. But I'm used to my computer and writer app doing it for me. So yes that was carelessness. I'll do better now!

ADR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami, FL
To increase my financial literacy. If I have financial literacy then I can buy houses and cars without getting scammed

Correct but that is just part of it. Buying houses and cars are two very specialized trades. Which car are you going to buy (at a fair price) that will hold its value while making you money and maybe a return when you sell it. When is it the best time to obtain these assets? A bunch of other questions will arise.

A buddy Pejman knows the car and watch markets pretty well.

I recommend build a business thats adds value and solves a problem in a niche and then worry about what to do with the profits after. Thats where I'm at now (Intro Thread).

Let me know what you think.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
I can clearly see the lowercase I's and the fact that i didn't put periods where i needed to. But I'm used to my computer and writer app doing it for me. So yes that was carelessness. I'll do better now!

If you are being serious, try typing your posts out in Word or another word processor and then spell check/auto correct before copying and pasting into the post.

But are you being serious? You keep mentioning buying a car or house without being scammed and financial literacy. Those are two entirely different things. Are you wanting to buy a car or a house for personal or business purposes?

All I see are excuses as to why you cannot accomplish something and wanting the secret formula or book that will give you the answers. If you really read Fastlane you wouldn't be asking any of those questions.

You remind me of the example that MJ used where the fitness instructor came to the forum asking for help but turned down every idea because "it wouldn't work in her industry". Dude...GOOGLE is a powerful tool. If you are really after financial literacy use it. If you are wanting to start a business take action, make mistakes, learn from the mistakes, correct the mistakes, move forward.

G

Guest92dX

Harsh words are abundant in this thread.

Here's a different perspective: focus on one thing at a time.

1. Make money

That's it.

The books you need to read relate to the process you want to undertake.

If I want to build software, I should read books on coding.

If I want to build software without coding, I should read books about marketing, copywriting, and sales.

My bookshelf should be different from your bookshelf because we both want to do different things.

Kak is right that you need to work on your writing. Autocorrect is not a substitute for knowing the basic mechanics of English as a native speaker.

Do you need to know sheltered words? Maybe. Just learn what is necessary.

The Grammar Girl podcast will help you immensely. I dislike grammar hawks as the English language is an inconsistent mishmash of every language under the sun. On any given day, unless you write for The New Yorker or Times, you can count on yourself having made multiple grammatical and spelling mistakes.

In fact, high school English programs teach incorrect grammatical theory. They add insult to injury by teaching it in an unwieldy way too.

Don't feel bad.

I read 20,000 leagues under the sea in middle school as well as many of Dicken's works. I even had half a mind to take a stab at War and Peace. Long story short, I was completely lost in high school grammar classes.

I even went to a ranked college. I still admit I know little about proper grammar.

Please also read The Elements of Style: the book is not a complete grammar anthology. It is approachable though and will help you reach basic proficiency.

Best,

This post has many grammatical errors. We're not academics though so being mean is unnecessary. Business writing is not meant to be academic. Business writing is meant to convey the information clearly.

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Understand: Everyone here on this thread is attempting to help you, but you are the one that keeps not seeing things that way.

We could easily give you the false sense of helping you by suggesting to read this or that book, or that you should speak with Y person, but that won't make any difference unless you show that you are taking responsibility for the results you have in your life and that you are now willing to make things different.

You are not yet convinced that you want to do that because your actions don't show it.

Fortunately for you, we are not like most people that if you told them your situation they would just comply and show empathy and tell you how hard it is and how things are wrong, etc.

EVERYTHING starts with your intention of changing for better. And in order for that happen, YOU GOTTA WORK AND STOP GIVING JUSTIFICATIONS WHY THINGS ARE THE WAY THEY ARE.

We get it. It's though...
So, forget the past. Envision the future, and focus on the present.

We will be glad to see your progress.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hey @shelton! Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too.

I see you're from Brooklyn. BK in da house. I lived in Queens for 11 years. Spent much time in BK. If I wasn't on a diet, I'd ask you to mail me some Junior's cheesecake.

My first suggestion to you is to take 100% responsibility for your life and your actions from this moment on.

If you don't have a job, then you should have plenty of time. Time is your most valuable asset. Now how are you going to leverage your time into money?

If there aren't any jobs in NYC, then you should start planning to move.

You don't have a degree. Great! I have three. They're overrated.

Do you have any marketable skills? Yes. How can you turn those skills into cash? How can you strengthen those skills? What other skills could you learn in order to strengthen those?

Do you have any marketable skills? No. Then how are you going to get them? The internet is free. Tons of free coding courses. The NYC public library system is the best in the world. Free books in physical, electronic, and audio forms.

While you're learning these skills, how are you going to make money? You can do unskilled labour. Fast-food joints, UPS, Starbucks, Costco, etc.

Here are some companies that offer benefits to part time workers: 10 Companies That Offer Health Insurance For Part-Time Workers

Don't want to work for a company? Cool. Got a car? Do Uber/Lyft. Got a bike? Become a courier.

No ride? Cool. Buy stuff at the Dollar Store or Goodwill and sell it on eBay/Amazon. Get a wagon and go to garage sales in the suburbs. Take the stuff there and sell it on eBay/Amazon.

Don't want to sell stuff. Cool. You say in your intro that you work as a janitor. That means you're good with your hands. Get on TaskRabbit. Get on Handy.

Sell some blood. Do whatever you have to do legally to make money. But, don't spend it all. Save up so that you can start your business. Save so that you can stop trading time for money.

While you're saving, build up your skill set, stack your skills, and become the best at what you do.

Keep finding ways to make more money per hour until you can work for yourself.

Stay the hell away from debt.

While you're doing all of that become a great listener. Ask everyone you meet about their problems. Ask your friends and family members. People love to talk, especially about themselves. Ask them about their pain points. While you're on the subway, keep your eyes and ears open. Look and listen for people struggling and suffering. While you're working, think of ways to make your job easier. Type all of your ideas, problems, and pain points into your phone. This is your list of opportunities.

The world is your oyster. You just gotta do the work. No one will do it for you.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Understand: Everyone here on this thread is attempting to help you, but you are the one that keeps not seeing things that way.

We could easily give you the false sense of helping you by suggesting to read this or that book, or that you should speak with Y person, but that won't make any difference unless you show that you are taking responsibility for the results you have in your life and that you are now willing to make things different.

You are not yet convinced that you want to do that because your actions don't show it.

Fortunately for you, we are not like most people that if you told them your situation they would just comply and show empathy and tell you how hard it is and how things are wrong, etc.

EVERYTHING starts with your intention of changing for better. And in order for that happen, YOU GOTTA WORK AND STOP GIVING JUSTIFICATIONS WHY THINGS ARE THE WAY THEY ARE.

You are right. I'm going to delete this thread now and I'm taking what you said with me.
Hey @shelton! Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too.

I see you're from Brooklyn. BK in da house. I lived in Queens for 11 years. Spent much time in BK. If I wasn't on a diet, I'd ask you to mail me some Junior's cheesecake.

My first suggestion to you is to take 100% responsibility for your life and your actions from this moment on.

If you don't have a job, then you should have plenty of time. Time is your most valuable asset. Now how are you going to leverage your time into money?

If there aren't any jobs in NYC, then you should start planning to move.

You don't have a degree. Great! I have three. They're overrated.

Do you have any marketable skills? Yes. How can you turn those skills into cash? How can you strengthen those skills? What other skills could you learn in order to strengthen those?

Do you have any marketable skills? No. Then how are you going to get them? The internet is free. Tons of free coding courses. The NYC public library system is the best in the world. Free books in physical, electronic, and audio forms.

While you're learning these skills, how are you going to make money? You can do unskilled labour. Fast-food joints, UPS, Starbucks, Costco, etc.

Here are some companies that offer benefits to part time workers: 10 Companies That Offer Health Insurance For Part-Time Workers

Don't want to work for a company? Cool. Got a car? Do Uber/Lyft. Got a bike? Become a courier.

No ride? Cool. Buy stuff at the Dollar Store or Goodwill and sell it on eBay/Amazon. Get a wagon and go to garage sales in the suburbs. Take the stuff there and sell it on eBay/Amazon.

Don't want to sell stuff. Cool. You say in your intro that you work as a janitor. That means you're good with your hands. Get on TaskRabbit. Get on Handy.

Sell some blood. Do whatever you have to do legally to make money. But, don't spend it all. Save up so that you can start your business. Save so that you can stop trading time for money.

While you're saving, build up your skill set, stack your skills, and become the best at what you do.

Keep finding ways to make more money per hour until you can work for yourself.

Stay the hell away from debt.

While you're doing all of that become a great listener. Ask everyone you meet about their problems. Ask your friends and family members. People love to talk, especially about themselves. Ask them about their pain points. While you're on the subway, keep your eyes and ears open. Look and listen for people struggling and suffering. While you're working, think of ways to make your job easier. Type all of your ideas, problems, and pain points into your phone. This is your list of opportunities.

The world is your oyster. You just gotta do the work. No one will do it for you.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY

] You are right. I'm going to delete this thread now and I'm taking what you said with me.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
If you are being serious, try typing your posts out in Word or another word processor and then spell check/auto correct before copying and pasting into the post.

But are you being serious? You keep mentioning buying a car or house without being scammed and financial literacy. Those are two entirely different things. Are you wanting to buy a car or a house for personal or business purposes?

All I see are excuses as to why you cannot accomplish something and wanting the secret formula or book that will give you the answers. If you really read Fastlane you wouldn't be asking any of those questions.

You remind me of the example that MJ used where the fitness instructor came to the forum asking for help but turned down every idea because "it wouldn't work in her industry". Dude...GOOGLE is a powerful tool. If you are really after financial literacy use it. If you are wanting to start a business take action, make mistakes, learn from the mistakes, correct the mistakes, move forward.
] You are right. I'm going to delete this thread now and I'm taking what you said with me.

Correct but that is just part of it. Buying houses and cars are two very specialized trades. Which car are you going to buy (at a fair price) that will hold its value while making you money and maybe a return when you sell it. When is it the best time to obtain these assets? A bunch of other questions will arise.

A buddy Pejman knows the car and watch markets pretty well.

I recommend build a business thats adds value and solves a problem in a niche and then worry about what to do with the profits after. Thats where I'm at now (Intro Thread).

Let me know what you think.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I can clearly see the lowercase I's and the fact that i didn't put periods where i needed to. But I'm used to my computer and writer app doing it for me. So yes that was carelessness.
Sometimes the issue with the self-help books is they get you so amped up to start running that you forget how to walk first.

Reading is pointless if you aren't spending the time to fully understand what it is that you are reading. Every time you are curious about something, Google it and read. It doesn't have to be a book. Google is more helpful to my life than any book I've ever read. There are plenty of forums on personal finance and thousands of free and quick eBooks.
Thanks. How do i delete this thread

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
You don't need to delete it.

Leave it here so others can learn from this experience, and so that we can direct some new people that are going through a similar situation like yours.

And it would be good for you to leave it in the forum, so you can look back in two years time and see "where you were at the moment" conscious wise.

Good luck.

Ghera B

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 15, 2018
Columbia, MD
i was hoping someone would know exactly what books or exactly what I'm supposed to read but i guess i do have to search for information i need on my own
Like MJ says process not events. It seems to me that you are looking for a few books that are going to open the road map. They won't. You need to get information and put it into action. You will get good information and you will get bad information. But you won't know which is which until you try it and see how it works. (I used to think the same thing, just point me to a book! But after reading the first half of Unscripted , I realize it is a process like anything else. Funny thing is, I know it exactly in the athletic world, haven't transferred it to the business world, but its the same. Process over events!)

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Assuming you're looking to "read" for the purposes of advancing financially, my advice would be to instead define a goal, and then work backwards until you achieve it. If you are unable to do x, then you find a book that tells you how to do x, do x, continue and repeat as required. As soon as you don't know something, google it, and if you can't get the answers for free, pay for the answers. Most of the time the answers you need are free.

Over time you will accumulate knowledge, contacts and experience and be able to piece it all together to make a profit or achieve an outcome. Take it from somebody who reads a hell of a lot and probably doesn't do as much as he should. Like others are always saying, knowledge alone is useless without execution.

Just set some goals, and learn as you go along. Good luck!

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
everyone starts with the technical stuff

but there is something interesting about many authors

let's take a look at this guy : stuart Goldsmith from Britain

View attachment 18439

he is a self made multi millionaire

is the guy talking about economics ?

no, he is talking about believing in yourself

in fact, in his Midas method , he talks about his formula for wealth

this is very surprising :

25 % knowing exactly what we want

25 % belief " i really deserve to be rich " ( most people don't really believe this is possible )

25 % belief " i can become rich " ( learning the skills )

and only 25 % doing the technical stuff, action and so on !!

at first, i was skeptical and thought this is another guru' scam

but he really did follow this formula to retire with 10 millions pounds in 2003.

after studying the guy, i came to the conclusion that he really followed his written stuff

his innercircle program and others materials he created.

he really started with the right innergame in order to push through adversity and beat the odds .
I think self belief is often overlooked as a key component to success in business. Many entrepreneurs seem to be born with it, believing from the moment they start that they'll eventually be successful. However many others, like myself, first need to train ourselves to believe that we can actually become one of those "other people" who obtain great wealth.

I credit a lot of books with helping me along the way. The one that started it for me though, was think and grow rich. It seemed to plant a seed early on in my entrepreneurial adventures that helped me keep going when otherwise I may have given up due to a lack of belief.

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
i read the millionaire fastlane last year and you told me to read about finance and economics. i read a personal finance book for dummies and a economics books for dummies. but i didn't get the most out of those books. i still don't know what taxable and non-taxable yields are and i still don't know how to balance a check book or even do my own taxes. Do you know anyone or have any book recommendations for finance and economics
Shelton... Kind of went through the same thing... I recommend reading the" The 10 pillars of wealth by Alex becker(sounds cliche right?)... Not exactly...A wonderful book and please it's not really one of those boring finance books that reminds you of your time in school..i can't say much... Just give a try.. It has really impacted my life.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Thanks. How do i delete this thread

You don't.

shelton was last seen: Today at 8:55 AM

Good for you. You've passed the first 'test': a ribbing from other people on the forum. Because you came back to face the people who were criticizing you, you seem to have a thick skin. If you had left on Friday, I wouldn't be writing this right now.

Kak already gave you some advice. Work on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Get Grammarly for your web browser. It'll help you out a lot. Let it correct your spelling mistakes.

I'm gonna give you some more advice. But I'm not 'millionaire' rich. So I'm not going to give you 'how to get rich' advice. MJ's already done that.

Get rich advice isn't going to help you right now.

You need to get out of a hole. An intellectual hole, a financial hole, and a social hole.

If you don't have a job, or any source of income, you absolutely need to get one. I don't care if you make $8.50 an hour. I assume you're living with your parents or some family member, otherwise you're not going to be surviving in Brooklyn on a 0 income.

You have a lot of questions about things like taxes or bond yields... those things dont matter right now. (OK taxes do matter right now... for those who actually earned money last year. If you earned nothing, then don't worry about them).

What matters for you right now is what's in front of you. You have no money and you have dreams. Start by making some money: any money. Even if it's not very good money. $8.50 an hour doing thankless work beats making $0/hr doing nothing.

The intellectual hole... you're reading books that MJ told you to read. It's good that you want to read more books. But you need to read books that are applicable to you right now. Here's one: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. It'll help you understand why you're in this social hole.

The social hole, honestly, won't be hard to get out of. I'm not talking about in real life, I'm talking about here.

First, apologize for wasting people's time. I'm a busy guy, so is Kak, so is MJ, so is pretty much everyone else here.

Second, go right now and apply for jobs on Craigslist, Indeed, Monster, whatever. Take it seriously.

Third, read How to Win Friends. Then read more of the forum's GOLD threads.

We love success stories and we want to see you succeed. But you're at a place where you're just not ready to start a business. You will be soon. But right now, you're not. It's not really the books that are keeping you there, it's the way you approach people.

Don't PM me with more questions. You need some income, you need some social learning, and you need some discipline. Once you've done that, come back with your next question.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Like MJ says process not events. It seems to me that you are looking for a few books that are going to open the road map. They won't. You need to get information and put it into action. You will get good information and you will get bad information. But you won't know which is which until you try it and see how it works. (I used to think the same thing, just point me to a book! But after reading the first half of Unscripted , I realize it is a process like anything else. Funny thing is, I know it exactly in the athletic world, haven't transferred it to the business world, but its the same. Process over events!)
I wanted to find a book that would help learn basic finance and economics terms that people use. I have no idea why and how they affect my life. But it seems like nobody wants me to learn these concepts until later in my life. I want to move out and not have to pay anyone to do my taxes or help me with my financial problems. I wanted to be prepared ahead of time. But I'll focus on my current problem instead.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Shelton... Kind of went through the same thing... I recommend reading the" The 10 pillars of wealth by Alex becker(sounds cliche right?)... Not exactly...A wonderful book and please it's not really one of those boring finance books that reminds you of your time in school..i can't say much... Just give a try.. It has really impacted my life.
Thanks for the advice

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I think self belief is often overlooked as a key component to success in business. Many entrepreneurs seem to be born with it, believing from the moment they start that they'll eventually be successful. However many others, like myself, first need to train ourselves to believe that we can actually become one of those "other people" who obtain great wealth.

I credit a lot of books with helping me along the way. The one that started it for me though, was think and grow rich. It seemed to plant a seed early on in my entrepreneurial adventures that helped me keep going when otherwise I may have given up due to a lack of belief.
Thanks for the advice

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
You don't.

shelton was last seen: Today at 8:55 AM

Good for you. You've passed the first 'test': a ribbing from other people on the forum. Because you came back to face the people who were criticizing you, you seem to have a thick skin. If you had left on Friday, I wouldn't be writing this right now.

Kak already gave you some advice. Work on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Get Grammarly for your web browser. It'll help you out a lot. Let it correct your spelling mistakes.

I'm gonna give you some more advice. But I'm not 'millionaire' rich. So I'm not going to give you 'how to get rich' advice. MJ's already done that.

Get rich advice isn't going to help you right now.

You need to get out of a hole. An intellectual hole, a financial hole, and a social hole.

If you don't have a job, or any source of income, you absolutely need to get one. I don't care if you make $8.50 an hour. I assume you're living with your parents or some family member, otherwise you're not going to be surviving in Brooklyn on a 0 income.

You have a lot of questions about things like taxes or bond yields... those things dont matter right now. (OK taxes do matter right now... for those who actually earned money last year. If you earned nothing, then don't worry about them).

What matters for you right now is what's in front of you. You have no money and you have dreams. Start by making some money: any money. Even if it's not very good money. $8.50 an hour doing thankless work beats making $0/hr doing nothing.

The intellectual hole... you're reading books that MJ told you to read. It's good that you want to read more books. But you need to read books that are applicable to you right now. Here's one: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. It'll help you understand why you're in this social hole.

The social hole, honestly, won't be hard to get out of. I'm not talking about in real life, I'm talking about here.

First, apologize for wasting people's time. I'm a busy guy, so is Kak, so is MJ, so is pretty much everyone else here.

Second, go right now and apply for jobs on Craigslist, Indeed, Monster, whatever. Take it seriously.

Third, read How to Win Friends. Then read more of the forum's GOLD threads.

We love success stories and we want to see you succeed. But you're at a place where you're just not ready to start a business. You will be soon. But right now, you're not. It's not really the books that are keeping you there, it's the way you approach people.

Don't PM me with more questions. You need some income, you need some social learning, and you need some discipline. Once you've done that, come back with your next question.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
You are right I do suck at approaching people. In fact I don't think I even know how to do it right. I'm so naturally straightforward and right to the point that I never learned how to do a basic human approach. I'm sorry I just wanted to find a book to read while I try to find a job.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
To increase my financial literacy. If I have financial literacy then I can buy houses and cars without getting scammed
@shelton,

You don't need financial literacy as much as you need common sense. I am far from a financial genius but I know what I don't know. If I have an important financial question in front of me I search through my network and find the most qualified person among the group and reach out to them for help.

There are enough threads in this forum that can give you guidance about buying houses and cars without losing your shirt. As for books, forum member @J Scott has an excellent tome on real estate negotiation. Also, check out his real estate investment blog for tips, tactics and strategies that will help you understand purchasing invest assets.

I hope that helps and all the best.

PS - I do know this...most economists know jack shit about business. They can quote chapter and verse about economic cycles this and reversion to the mean that but in terms of helping you put cold hard greenbacks in your pockets, they couldn't tell you when to get in or out of an opportunity. The big dog Gold threads in this forum are the way to go if you need a great push in that direction.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'm sorry I just wanted to find a book to read while I try to find a job.

That's quite alright. One more thing: remove 'try' from your vocabulary.

You're not gonna 'try' to find a job. You're GOING to find a job. And you're going to work it, hard. Finding a job is a process, just like business.

You're also GOING to learn to budget. This is a cornerstone of financial literacy: understanding what you can and cannot afford.

If this stuff sounds Slowlane... it's because it is. Certain Slowlane ideas and concepts fit well into a Fastlane life plan. The Slowlane as a life plan is untrustworthy and risky, whereas some individual Slowlane concepts and ideas are rooted in financial discipline.

One step at a time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.