The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Post your product opportunities at Amazon

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Have a product idea that can be sold on Amazon, but you have no intention on selling it?

Post it here.

Perhaps an aspiring entrepreneur can look into it, or someone who already operates at Amazon.

Every so often when I'm at Amazon I find products that I speculate are good opportunities to pursue. Yes, maybe these opportunities are not "Fastlane" per se, but they're good enough to get your feet wet and into the door of the Amazon channel.

My basis for determining a "good product" is based on # of reviews (which shows demand) and a price that "seems" too high, hence it has a good margin.

For instance, just a quick look in the Desktop Organizers category...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006A30NI/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

81Q0IIBaEvL._SX522_.jpg

This product sells for $65 and has 200+ reviews.

I can tell you without a doubt that this BOX (at its current price) is probably at a 50% margin. Heck, I bought one of these at Home Goods (TJMaxx) for $19.99.

Here's another one for $40...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K9DPVEM/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Another one, just a box with slats...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AORJNTW/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

What products have you come across that you *think* are ripe for opportunity?

Please post it here and help someone get started!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=stevia+gum&rh=i:aps,k:stevia+gum

I noticed there are no good chewing gums with just stevia as a sweetener. They all contain other additives such as "natural flavors" (aka MSG or whatever else they can sneak in there o_O), sugar alcohols like xylitol (which apparently raise blood sugar anyway, so what's the point?) and vegetable oils (which are inflammatory)...With stevia being the ~5th ingredient on the label.

From reviews, people want something actually natural with just stevia, maybe vanilla extract/cinnamon and other real ingredients. And the ones that claim to be 'stevia gum' apparently don't last long in flavor and turn chalky after a few chews. I wonder if this is an actual opportunity or not...if it's even possible to make a truly natural gum given the fact that chewing gum isn't natural to begin with. Gonna chew on this one...

Reviews"

"Why does the ingredients list prominently feature sorbitol and xylitol? With the stevia, that's 3 sweeteners!!! And sorbitol causes painful gas and bloating. Want a gum sweetened ONLY with stevia. Does that product exist?"

"Millions of us like to chew gum and not one of us wants to experience The Big C, so come on folks, put your heads together and make us something safe, non-gassy and flavorful for more than three minutes. We pay big bucks for good products and here is an untapped market, a missed and golden opportunity."

Last edited:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Spear fishing slingshots or professional hunting slingshots should have some margin in them. Lasers, lights, could make for a good video display off-Amazon

WechatIMG64.jpeg

G

Guest92dX

Underwear.

This is fastlane too.

The whole underwear idea is super marketing heavy.

Brand name products and even "off brand" products in underwear sell for like $20+ for a 5 pack.

I can tell you three things right now:

1. They shouldn't cost that much
2. They're pure marketing with no substance
3. There a people who want cheaper

I would personally be a customer.

Spandex costs like $1 for large men's size at scale.

Cotton costs like $2 for large men's size at scale.

Production is probably almost automated so it would cost like $1 tops at scale.

1. Watch an episode of "how it's made" about underwear and jeans to get a feel for the process and reverse engineer pricing. I guarantee you will be surprised.

Why? Jeans and yoga pants have tons more elastic and cotton and cost roughly the same amount.

2. I recently read that underwear cost because of engineering requirements. Hog spittle. The design of underwear hasn't changed since the 90s.

3. Any real odor engineering for silver ions or other oleophobic sources starts at the thread. Why are small companies able to still patent then? Furthermore, they're getting scale by buying large quantities of thread.

4. You can create a real brand around sub box or something else for high quality boxers or briefs. There really hasn't been any innovation.

5. Look at 2009 - 2014 top commercials for underwear. Innovation was called taking the tag off for under shirts and possibly even underwear.

6. There is definitely like 70%+ margin on these products. You can knock your price down to 30% margin and focus on sensible underwear.

7. If there's a sub box for socks then you can definitely do one for underwear and equip the underwear with the latest innovations in clothing.

P.S. if you PM me, I will be your first customer.

P.P.S. ink is cheap for dying clothes too. Remember, jeans vs. underwear.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Underwear.

Good point.

Just the other day I was looking at some Nike compression shorts and they wanted $36 for them. I laughed and threw 'em back on the rack. I'll let the 30K millionaire buy those.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I punched your first product into Amazon's fulfillment fee calculator and at $65 you would get $50 from Amazon for each sale.

Here is how I think this product pencils out. It's construction looks pretty good, my guess is about $15 to make in China. Given it's size and weight, about $5 to ship from China to FBA warehouse and about $1/month to store. So all in about $21. Makes a decent $29 profit per sale.

Most reviews started in 2011, so product has been around a while. I don't see any other competitor with a product closely resembling this one.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Here's what I like about this thread:

Many have asked for product ideas on this forum.
Some have now given product ideas in this thread.
People are asking for a handout. Handouts have been given.

If you are one of the people who have asked for product ideas, or are waiting for the perfect product idea to come to you, and you still don't do anything with the ideas posted in this thread, you are the problem. I know this because I was once this person.

While the product matters to a degree, the thing that really matters is execution. Someone is making money selling desktop organizers, chewing gum, hunting slingshots and underwear. It's not due to the product. It's due to how they execute: manufacturing, buying, marketing, partnering, selling, etc. This is why MJ says execution is king.

So, if you're looking for an idea for a product to sell, but you don't act on any of these ideas (or ideas sprung from them), I've got news for you. You're not actually looking for a product to sell - you're looking for a sugar daddy.

Here, try this:

Pretend for a moment that you're sick of "action faking" and you decide RIGHT NOW that you're going to sell underwear.

Great, congratulations!

But this is the easy part (that many of you think is the hard part).

Now...fast forward.

Pretend UPS just knocked on your door and dropped off 10,000 pairs of your brand new underwear.

Now what? How are you going to reach your customers?
  • Put it on Amazon and spend 80% of your profit on advertising?
  • Learn to code, create a website and hope if you build it they will come?
  • Pay Instagram models to wear them in some photos?
  • Partner with Disney or NASCAR and license it to Hanes?
  • Start a blog and become an industry expert?
  • Join underwear groups on Facebook and do giveaways?
  • Spam twitter with the same 140-character post for three months?
What value are you going to provide that will make someone buy your underwear instead of the underwear they already buy?
  • Lower prices?
  • Better comfort?
  • Streak-resistant fabric?
  • Irresistible designs?
  • Made from 100% recycled ocean plastic?
  • Made specifically for women who weigh 300 pounds?
You might find that you're unsure what you'd do if 10,000 pairs of underwear arrived at your doorstep. Now you can see why execution is king. It doesn't matter that the product is underwear. What matters is how you execute your underwear idea.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
I wonder if this is an actual opportunity or not...if it's even possible to make a truly natural gum given the fact that chewing gum isn't natural to begin with. Gonna chew on this one...

With today's manufacturing methods, almost any product you imagine can be created.

The questions we need to be asking are
  1. Should we build this new product or service?
  2. How can we increase our odds of success with this product or service?
When you know those answers, you can reduce unnecessary failure and instead focus your time and money on ideas that have promise.

This idea you posted could be a whole lot more than just a "dipping my toes into Amazon", it could be a full fledged money tree if executed properly.

2016 Sales for major sugarless gumupload_2018-3-22_2-14-23.png

Parker fields

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2017
Tulsa, OK
It's not a single product and I didn't see it posted on Amazon. But I saw a limited supply and some market for Allergic reaction kits. As for the market, I know a group of 15k people who suffer a rare disease and have multiple support groups. Yet no one sell's a generic allergic reaction kit readily.
Allergy-Kit-Packed.png

Epi-pens are expensive and aren't exactly required (but is listed as #1 for anaphylaxis emergencies), Benadryl being #2 (liquid best for an emergency kit for fast acting).

Generic contents: Glass roller bottle (for scented oils), Saltsticks, Tums, Pen, pen flashlight, 6 10ml Vials (for your liquid medications), Dye free Benadryl,1 dropper, Emergency Card, Allergic List, Pedialyte packs, sanitizing wipes, etc.
Could use small hard cases/ small Molle bags.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I punched your first product into Amazon's fulfillment fee calculator and at $65 you would get $50 from Amazon for each sale.

Here is how I think this product pencils out. It's construction looks pretty good, my guess is about $15 to make in China. Given it's size and weight, about $5 to ship from China to FBA warehouse and about $1/month to store. So all in about $21. Makes a decent $29 profit per sale.

Most reviews started in 2011, so product has been around a while. I don't see any other competitor with a product closely resembling this one.

Wow, those numbers are actually better than I expected. The only problem is this is not a REPEAT product, so there's no lifetime value other than the first sale.

Thanks for sharing.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012

If you are one of the people who have asked for product ideas, or are waiting for the perfect product idea to come to you, and you still don't do anything with the ideas posted in this thread, you are the problem. I know this because I was once this person.

While the product matters to a degree, the thing that really matters is execution. Someone is making money selling desktop organizers, chewing gum, hunting slingshots and underwear. It's not due to the product. It's due to how they execute: manufacturing, buying, marketing, partnering, selling, etc. This is why MJ says execution is king.

So, if you're looking for an idea for a product to sell, but you don't act on any of these ideas (or ideas sprung from them), I've got news for you. You're not actually looking for a product to sell - you're looking for a sugar daddy.

Here, try this:

Pretend for a moment that you're sick of "action faking" and you decide RIGHT NOW that you're going to sell underwear.

Great, congratulations!

Now...fast forward.

Pretend UPS just knocked on your door and dropped off 10,000 pairs of your brand new underwear.

What value are you going to provide that will make someone buy your underwear instead of the underwear they already buy?
  • Lower prices?
  • Better comfort?
  • Irresistible designs?
You might find that you're unsure what you'd do if 10,000 pairs of underwear arrived at your doorstep. Now you can see why execution is king. It doesn't matter that the product is underwear. What matters is how you execute your underwear idea.

This 100%

Whenever I hear the conversation of idea vs. Execution I think of the Millionaire Fastlane as well as the following post from Derek Sivers.

Ideas are just a multiplier of execution
2005-08-16

It’s so funny when I hear people being so protective of ideas. People who want me to sign an NDA to tell me the simplest idea.

To me, ideas are worth nothing unless executed. They are just a multiplier. Execution is worth millions.
"
Explanation:

AWFUL IDEA = -1
WEAK IDEA = 1
SO-SO IDEA = 5
GOOD IDEA = 10
GREAT IDEA = 15
BRILLIANT IDEA = 20
-------- ---------
NO EXECUTION = $1
WEAK EXECUTION = $1000
SO-SO EXECUTION = $10,000
GOOD EXECUTION = $100,000
GREAT EXECUTION = $1,000,000
BRILLIANT EXECUTION = $10,000,000
To make a business, you need to multiply the two.

The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20.

The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000.

That’s why I don’t want to hear people’s ideas.

I’m not interested until I see their execution."

Source: Ideas are just a multiplier of execution | Derek Sivers

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
BUMP.

I highly suggest those looking to get into the private label/ecommerce scene to look at the party niche on amazon.com. Look at unicorn themed party supplies, dinosaur themed party supplies, etc. You can build a whole brand around party supplies for a specific niche like Unicorns (by the way, the unicorn niche is very high volume).

Authentic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 21, 2018
Have a product idea that can be sold on Amazon, but you have no intention on selling it?

Post it here.

Perhaps an aspiring entrepreneur can look into it, or someone who already operates at Amazon.

Every so often when I'm at Amazon I find products that I speculate are good opportunities to pursue. Yes, maybe these opportunities are not "Fastlane" per se, but they're good enough to get your feet wet and into the door of the Amazon channel.

My basis for determining a "good product" is based on # of reviews (which shows demand) and a price that "seems" too high, hence it has a good margin.

For instance, just a quick look in the Desktop Organizers category...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006A30NI/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

81Q0IIBaEvL._SX522_.jpg

This product sells for $65 and has 200+ reviews.

I can tell you without a doubt that this BOX (at its current price) is probably at a 50% margin. Heck, I bought one of these at Home Goods (TJMaxx) for $19.99.

Here's another one for $40...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K9DPVEM/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Another one, just a box with slats...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AORJNTW/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

What products have you come across that you *think* are ripe for opportunity?

Please post it here and help someone get started!

In Unscripted , Chapter 33, you mentioned that Amazon violates the Commandment of Control. Do you feel that it is safe to continue with Amazon FBA or Associates?

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
This 100%

Whenever I hear the conversation of idea vs. Execution I think of the Millionaire Fastlane as well as the following post from Derek Sivers.

Ideas are just a multiplier of execution
2005-08-16

It’s so funny when I hear people being so protective of ideas. People who want me to sign an NDA to tell me the simplest idea.

To me, ideas are worth nothing unless executed. They are just a multiplier. Execution is worth millions.
"
Explanation:

AWFUL IDEA = -1
WEAK IDEA = 1
SO-SO IDEA = 5
GOOD IDEA = 10
GREAT IDEA = 15
BRILLIANT IDEA = 20
-------- ---------
NO EXECUTION = $1
WEAK EXECUTION = $1000
SO-SO EXECUTION = $10,000
GOOD EXECUTION = $100,000
GREAT EXECUTION = $1,000,000
BRILLIANT EXECUTION = $10,000,000
To make a business, you need to multiply the two.

The most brilliant idea, with no execution, is worth $20.

The most brilliant idea takes great execution to be worth $20,000,000.

That’s why I don’t want to hear people’s ideas.

I’m not interested until I see their execution."

Source: Ideas are just a multiplier of execution | Derek Sivers

Thanks for sharing the Derek Sivers link, @vinylawesome. I've been reading his essays there. Gold.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Here, try this:

Great, congratulations!

Now...fast forward.

• Lower prices?
  • Better comfort?
  • Irresistible designs?
THIS

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In Unscripted , Chapter 33, you mentioned that Amazon violates the Commandment of Control. Do you feel that it is safe to continue with Amazon FBA or Associates?

Yes, if it's your sole source of income, your only channel.

Amazon is supposed to be a CHANNEL, not a BUSINESS.

Nonetheless, you can still make $$$ from it. Control outlines risk factors, not necessarily, "You can't make money doing that!" If Walmart pays you $10M to stock a product and they're your only customer, the $10M doesn't really care if it came from 1 source, or 1000. The money spends the same.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
someone make me a god dam shoe that doesnt rip, i will have all of my friends buy it

(skateboarding/longboarding)

Authentic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 21, 2018
Yes, if it's your sole source of income, your only channel.

Amazon is supposed to be a CHANNEL, not a BUSINESS.

Nonetheless, you can still make $$$ from it. Control outlines risk factors, not necessarily, "You can't make money doing that!" If Walmart pays you $10M to stock a product and they're your only customer, the $10M doesn't really care if it came from 1 source, or 1000. The money spends the same.
Thank you for the clarification. Have a wonderful day.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
also me and a couple friends will also buy a boosted board knockoff, they are priced at $2k-3k so to much money for us atm,

make one that is a bit cheaper and not chinese junk you got my money

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Bump.

Here are my tips regarding products research:

1) Find products which you can build a brand around.
Can you find products that relate to each other? (5 or more)

2) Can you teach / build content around your products? Make sure market is not only buying products, but also consuming content related to them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.