The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you had 1 hour with MJ, or someone similar...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
How is it supposed to make people more successful?
Some people get things so locked in their heads. I had one cigar in 30 years time. Not much of a chance that will hurt me. I sat there and puffed it in a large group of people that were mostly doing the same. We talked until late in the evening about business and other nonsense.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Some people get things so locked in their heads. I had one cigar in 30 years time. Not much of a chance that will hurt me. I sat there and puffed it in a large group of people that were mostly doing the same. We talked until late in the evening about business and other nonsense.
It was a joke, that's all.

I was at the Fastlane summit (the meet-up for this forum) sitting around a table with folks I highly respect. We happened to be smoking cigars.

Yes - you are correct. Cigars aren't exactly a health food. Don't smoke if you don't want to. In fact most folks at the event didn't (including some at our table in the smoking lounge). Make your own decisions.

I see. I was just confused.
Alright, smoking once is probably not so harmful.

Actually, Patrick BetDavid from Valuetainment smoked once for the production of a short movie called "Good vs bad voice".

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
The thing is, I know what to do more or less, I know success is about the process rather than the event. I know the mindset required(don't chase money, help others, be you-oriented, create value for others).

The problem is getting myself to do it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The problem is getting myself to do it.

The simple reality is that if you could find a way to get folks who "know what to do" to actually go ahead and "just do it" - you'd be an overnight billionaire.

Lose weight - eat less.
Be fitter - exercise more.
Make money - work more.
Be a better parent - spend more time with your kids.
Be a better entrepreneur - take more action.
Get smarter - read more.
Make more friends - talk to more people.

The depressing reality is that the most beneficial things we can do in life aren't even remotely complicated and yet we still struggle to actually do them.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
The simple reality is that if you could find a way to get folks who "know what to do" to actually go ahead and "just do it" - you'd be an overnight billionaire.

Lose weight - eat less.
Be fitter - exercise more.
Make money - work more.
Be a better parent - spend more time with your kids.
Be a better entrepreneur - take more action.
Get smarter - read more.
Make more friends - talk to more people.

The depressing reality is that the most beneficial things we can do in life aren't even remotely complicated and yet we still struggle to actually do them.
That is so true, I've pondered this for a long time and after much reading found it's because humans are emotional creatures first and rational second. On a rational level it's all laid out for us but our emotions/subconcious gets in the way.

I guess I would ask @MJ DeMarco where he got his motivation from.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but id ask how to stay relevant,

Stay valuable in a changing world.

Value attracts. And value's perception changes over time. Leg warmers might have been valuable in the 80's, but not today.

I would ask they help me believe at a deep real level that it's possible.

Read up on the cancer-corollary in Unscripted . For the most part, humans are color blind when it comes to their selfish needs, wants, and desires. Belief starts with understanding the system.

Maybe just ask how is it really like to be super rich lol.

LOL, I'm not "super-rich" -- I'm only super-rich in terms of freedom while living in comfortable luxury, free from debt, bills, and mortgages.

what kind of beer he wanted and get him one.

Oak Creek Canyon Ale
Killians Red
4 Peaks Kiltlifter
Sam Adams

:)

The best conversations were the ones that established a relationship and not the ones that were mainly shop talk.

The GF wished your wife lived next door. She was a breath of fresh air among the cigar smoke.

Smoking cigars? Is that not unhealthy and dangerous?

Yes, if you do it all day, everyday.

I don't think one every so often would be harmful.

StartToday

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Sep 22, 2017
Between Goku's strong thighs
1) I wouldn't put them on a pedestal even though I admire them.

2) Just have a nice and casual conversation about life in general. I feel there's much more for me to learn by having a genuine conversation with successful people than discussing business.

3) I would avoid showing any signs of loserdom and instead absorb all the positive energy they irradiate.

Did I just put them on a pedestal?

Last edited:

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I think most of the gold nuggets that can help anyone succeed are already in this forum and MJs books. His books are culmination of his life and business experience, not only that but he's always present on this forum too - dropping wisdom bombs everywhere without any mercy.

What I am trying to say is that I wouldn't want to waste MJs time. He has provided more than enough. He has showed the path. The only thing that we have to do now is to follow that path and learn along the way.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
id try to make an app for him and split the profits.

Dave Daily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Feb 22, 2018
Chico, CA
After reading this thread, this is me at the next Fastlane Summit. LOL!

"@JAJT, I would give anything to hear you sing tonight, but I know you won't." :rofl:

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I had this chance. Here’s what I did:

I made sure going into it that it was not a question and answer session about me. The goal was to use this hour to establish a relationship and make a friend. Find things you have in common, and steer the conversation tactfully through these things. Be light and humorous. I engaged him on what he was working on, and complimented him on one of his recent projects that came to market (it was a hell of a feat), I asked questions about the makings of it with genuine interest, he was excited to explain it to someone who was doing similar things. We vented about obstacles together, and in all of this, he shared priceless advice he learned along the way without me ever asking.

Listened when I was supposed to, and talked when I needed to. It’s an art to engaging in two-way conversation. Chances will come in the conversation for you to compare paths and ask questions, but you have to be tactful, and if the conversation doesn’t steer toward learning, so be it. MAKE A FRIEND.

If you make a friend, they’ll want to see you succeed, and they’ll share their experiences with you.

The main thing I took away, as expected, was the inspiration to keep driving. Actively successful people have this crazy motivation to succeed all the time. You can see it in them when they talk, and it’s inspiring. Try to turn that inspiration into your daily mode of operation at all costs. That simple MO is what drives you to figure things out, to learn, to work harder and smarter. If you can harness it toward action, you’ll create your own inspiration with each small success, just like they do. This will take you to the moon.

Last edited:

Tharus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Mar 4, 2018
Jamaica
MJ would end up like ole Gary here if asked me.:cool:

"Anyway, Joe has paid me (a ridiculously small amount) to come visit him three times this year and, every time I go he sucks my mind so dry... that... by the time I get on the plane to fly back to Miami, I sit there in my seat like some kind of zombie who yearns to get back to the peace of his coffin."

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I love to hang out with successful people. Most have had interesting lives and experiences, that translate into wonderful stories. My favorite stories have to do with their evolution through their personal journey. What were their ahha moments that changed their whole direction? What do they wish they could have changed? Now they've climbed the success mountain, where do they go from here? Was it worth the price?

I'd ask questions like that.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I helped him setup his sketchy backdrop for pictures (a.k.a. read the instructions for him). Then took grief from him for my hapless fantasy football team. Then thanked him for this awesome community and the opportunities it has provided my kids.

@AgainstAllOdds nailed it. create a friend.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Then took grief from him for my hapless fantasy football team. Then thanked him for this awesome community and the opportunities it has provided my kids.

LOL, you're a reliable donor.

Maybe some day

I'll probably end up in Sedona, FYI. Not sure if that is on your desired places to live. ;)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
LOL, you're a reliable donor.

I'll probably end up in Sedona, FYI. Not sure if that is on your desired places to live. ;)

Coldest Easter in Chicago in 22 years. I bet you don't miss it! The thought of leaving is getting more and more appealing.

@Kristin R cough cough.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.