The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

24 Year Old PharmD graduate looking to switch lanes

giovanni93

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jan 19, 2018
California
Hi everybody,

My name is Giovanni and I recently graduated a 6 year Doctor of Pharmacy program (straight out of high school program) in May 2017. When I originally entered pharmacy school, I thought healthcare was an area I wanted to enter along with the thought of appeasing my parents, so that they did not have to worry about my career/future. By the time I was entering the difficult chunk of my college career (4th year), I began to realize pharmacy (especially retail pharmacy) was something I could not see myself doing for the rest of my life. Perplexed like many in college nowadays, I knew what I did not want to do, but I had absolutely zero idea about what I actually wanted to do...

Finally, I thought to myself as I began to approach my 5th year, I want to join the pharmaceutical industry! I've always had an interest in business (however vague that is), plus I'll be able to use the knowledge I earned during my university. Alternatively, as a safety net in my sixth year, I was hired by a renown retail pharmacy chain to become a pharmacist once I graduated and passed my board exams, but I thought to myself, there's no way I'm going to actually end up here when I graduate. I made it my duty to get into the pharmaceutical industry. Unfortunately, after applying to multiple fellowships and jobs, not one offer... So, I ended up having to officially join the retail business as a pharmacy graduate intern (until I pass my boards) and I've been here since then.

It wasn't until November that I decided to read "The Millionaire Fastlane ." I had remembered the book at an event my friend was hosting for his business. He was giving out free books and I remember him saying "This is a book you will all read sooner or later," unfortunately I had no interest in reading about entrepreneurship at the time and was vying for "Modern Romance" by Aziz Ansari lol. Anyways, to get back on track, after reading it, it was completely eye opening, I always knew I wanted to create my own business, but I had no idea how to focus my efforts or even where to start. "The Millionaire Fastlane " was the answer for me, that not only opened up entrepreneurship as an option, but made me realize the value of books.

At the moment, I'm still with the retail pharmacy as a graduate intern. Unhappily, I did not pass one of my boards the first time I took it and had to wait three months to register again (basically in limbo). On the other hand, since November, I've been slowly working on my business, trying my best to figure out what I need to do to actually get it fully executed and that is what led me to this forum as I'm trying to see all of the insight others have to share with me!

Every piece of me wants to be able to fully commit to my business, but I have very little capital, so I feel like I have to stick through studying for my exam and becoming a retail pharmacist for an extended period of time until I'm able to fuel my business. It's just part of the journey I suppose, although sometimes I feel a bit disingenuous seeing that as a healthcare professional, I should have 100% of my heart and focus in it when it's all about patient health.

Thank you everyone in advance for the welcome though! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Word of caution, comfort and complacency will be your worst enemy. As soon as you get that job and nice salary, your willingness to work outside of your job scope will be scant. Not that that's your fault -- it's how the trap works.

Thanks for the intro, check out Unscripted as I feel it has more relevance for someone much less inclined to be an entrepreneur. TMF is "Here's why you SHOULD be an entrepreneur." Unscripted is "Here's why you NEED to be an entrepreneur."

giovanni93

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jan 19, 2018
California
Word of caution, comfort and complacency will be your worst enemy. As soon as you get that job and nice salary, your willingness to work outside of your job scope will be scant. Not that that's your fault -- it's how the trap works.

Thanks for the intro, check out Unscripted as I feel it has more relevance for someone much less inclined to be an entrepreneur. TMF is "Here's why you SHOULD be an entrepreneur." Unscripted is "Here's why you NEED to be an entrepreneur."
Thank you, absolutely, that's been my actual worry, but I think what drives me to be an entrepreneur (a few, but not all) is being able to retire my parents, being my own boss, and providing meaningful value to customers/clients through what I create. So, I know being a pharmacist won't fulfill any of those motives, besides possibly a bit of the last one.

I actually did not realize that you had published another book, so I actually got my butt on my Amazon yesterday night and purchased it already! Amazon primed it, will be coming on Saturday! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...