The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Many Years in Corporate to Completely "Unscripted"

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Hello,

I spent many years working full time while attending college at night (took 7 years) and then moved on to a corporate career. I moved up the ladder pretty quickly at a $100MM company with 250 or so employees. I spent over 16 years there (managing IT and Finance) and left for a multitude of reasons. It was like that movie Groundhog Day and I was just so sick of it all. I was earning about $200K when I left and it made my friends and colleagues uncomfortable watching me do it. They seemed certain I was making a mistake to go out on my own and that I would eventually fail. I said to myself "F them, they don't have the guts to break away." OK, I'll admit I did have a very good friend trying to convince me to give it a try. She saw the hours I was devoting to this company that had been struggling for years and wouldn't listen to my suggestions for changing the business strategy so we could be more competitive. She was about to give up on me, and then she told me this story. She said, "That's alright, you're scared. You think you have a good job and have reached the top in that company so it can't get any better. You're like a little frog down in the bottom of a well and you're looking up at this bright blue circle and saying: Look, the sky! There's the sky, isn't this great!" Then she went on, and she said "I'm trying to tell you the sky is much, much bigger than what you're seeing. I'm trying to get you to climb up out of that well you've been in for 16 years, no wait, 23 years with your working full time while attending college, and see that there's a huge blue sky out here. Set yourself free. Don't spend so many of your best years down in the bottom of that well even though you get to see a little bit of the sky." That conversation did it. The next day I was sitting in my office looking out this one window where I could see planes flying into LAX and I thought "my god, there's the well...she's right, I'm stuck in here." I worked at least 11 or 12 hours a day at that company for 16 years. I saved what most people would consider a lot of money. That turned out to be my ticket to get this little frog up out of the well. That was about four years ago.

I moved quickly into a real estate career as an investor. I formed a relationship with a good partner (yes, the one who called me a little frog) even though I found myself doing most of the "heavy lifting." We began running vacation rental properties through sites like Airbnb, HomeAway, etc. We aquired about 10 locations scattered across the U.S. (mostly Los Angeles and NYC). The business was a success from the beginning even though some months were quite slow and you had to work hard just to cover your costs. In the good months we had gross margins of 60 - 70%. It was very lucrative for a few years. Then the municipalities came in with task forces and enforced new rules that prevented us from continuing. We had "hosted" over 1200 reservations with stays from one night to three weeks and we maintained a 4.5 star out of 5 rating at all our properties. We were good at it and made a lot of money but like they say, all good things must come to an end.

In addition to the vacation rentals I also bought a somewhat run down 14 unit apartment building. I immediately began renovating every unit. I have a lot of information to share about commercial multifamily investing if any of you are interested. I think it's one of the best investments out there but you have to be involved. If you think landlords just sit back and collect money every month you're mistaken. You won't do well in the business with that attitude. I've finished renovating all 14 units which were complete tear-outs, in other words, new everything right down to the light switches and receptacles. I increased my rents by almost 40% in three years which almost doubled the market value of my building. My real estate broker tells other clients about me. He says "Yeah, this guy in two years did what it takes my other clients 10 years to figure out, usually because the bank forces them to do it for refinancing purposes." They ask him how I knew to do that and he jokes that I was new to commercial real estate so I didn't know any better. In a way he's right.

So that's where I'm at. I'm just about to finish Unscripted and Millionaire Fastlane is next in my queue. I'll admit this, I've gotten to a point where I have too much freedom. The vacation rentals are all shut down, 80% of the building renovation is done and paid for, and in 6 months or so it will be 100%. I'm here to learn, to share, and to get motivated. I need to find something new that contributes value and has meaning and purpose. I'm not looking for a get rich quick scheme or anything easy. I get that the "difficulty is the opportunity." I'm not the absolute smartest guy but I'm pretty sharp. The thing that separates me from most people is my work ethic and that I never give up. I'm looking forward to participating in the forums. I hope my introduction wasn't too long or boring. Thank you for taking a few minutes to read it.

- Judicious

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Excellent story and thank you for posting. You may want to pay attention @SteveO 's stuff; he did well in apartments and sold most of his holdings. Now he owns a golf course and is turning it around.

Insofar as your rentals, question: Can't you just comply with the rules and continue the AirBnb operation? Or, sell those properties and get into compliance with new properties?

Again, thanks for the intro and welcome aboard.

Arthur Redline

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
540%
Dec 14, 2017
The Netherlands
Hello,

I spent many years working full time while attending college at night (took 7 years) and then moved on to a corporate career. I moved up the ladder pretty quickly at a $100MM company with 250 or so employees. I spent over 16 years there (managing IT and Finance) and left for a multitude of reasons. It was like that movie Groundhog Day and I was just so sick of it all. I was earning about $200K when I left and it made my friends and colleagues uncomfortable watching me do it. They seemed certain I was making a mistake to go out on my own and that I would eventually fail. I said to myself "F them, they don't have the guts to break away." OK, I'll admit I did have a very good friend trying to convince me to give it a try. She saw the hours I was devoting to this company that had been struggling for years and wouldn't listen to my suggestions for changing the business strategy so we could be more competitive. She was about to give up on me, and then she told me this story. She said, "That's alright, you're scared. You think you have a good job and have reached the top in that company so it can't get any better. You're like a little frog down in the bottom of a well and you're looking up at this bright blue circle and saying: Look, the sky! There's the sky, isn't this great!" Then she went on, and she said "I'm trying to tell you the sky is much, much bigger than what you're seeing. I'm trying to get you to climb up out of that well you've been in for 16 years, no wait, 23 years with your working full time while attending college, and see that there's a huge blue sky out here. Set yourself free. Don't spend so many of your best years down in the bottom of that well even though you get to see a little bit of the sky." That conversation did it. The next day I was sitting in my office looking out this one window where I could see planes flying into LAX and I thought "my god, there's the well...she's right, I'm stuck in here." I worked at least 11 or 12 hours a day at that company for 16 years. I saved what most people would consider a lot of money. That turned out to be my ticket to get this little frog up out of the well. That was about four years ago.

I moved quickly into a real estate career as an investor. I formed a relationship with a good partner (yes, the one who called me a little frog) even though I found myself doing most of the "heavy lifting." We began running vacation rental properties through sites like Airbnb, HomeAway, etc. We aquired about 10 locations scattered across the U.S. (mostly Los Angeles and NYC). The business was a success from the beginning even though some months were quite slow and you had to work hard just to cover your costs. In the good months we had gross margins of 60 - 70%. It was very lucrative for a few years. Then the municipalities came in with task forces and enforced new rules that prevented us from continuing. We had "hosted" over 1200 reservations with stays from one night to three weeks and we maintained a 4.5 star out of 5 rating at all our properties. We were good at it and made a lot of money but like they say, all good things must come to an end.

In addition to the vacation rentals I also bought a somewhat run down 14 unit apartment building. I immediately began renovating every unit. I have a lot of information to share about commercial multifamily investing if any of you are interested. I think it's one of the best investments out there but you have to be involved. If you think landlords just sit back and collect money every month you're mistaken. You won't do well in the business with that attitude. I've finished renovating all 14 units which were complete tear-outs, in other words, new everything right down to the light switches and receptacles. I increased my rents by almost 40% in three years which almost doubled the market value of my building. My real estate broker tells other clients about me. He says "Yeah, this guy in two years did what it takes my other clients 10 years to figure out, usually because the bank forces them to do it for refinancing purposes." They ask him how I knew to do that and he jokes that I was new to commercial real estate so I didn't know any better. In a way he's right.

So that's where I'm at. I'm just about to finish Unscripted and Millionaire Fastlane is next in my queue. I'll admit this, I've gotten to a point where I have too much freedom. The vacation rentals are all shut down, 80% of the building renovation is done and paid for, and in 6 months or so it will be 100%. I'm here to learn, to share, and to get motivated. I need to find something new that contributes value and has meaning and purpose. I'm not looking for a get rich quick scheme or anything easy. I get that the "difficulty is the opportunity." I'm not the absolute smartest guy but I'm pretty sharp. The thing that separates me from most people is my work ethic and that I never give up. I'm looking forward to participating in the forums. I hope my introduction wasn't too long or boring. Thank you for taking a few minutes to read it.

- Judicious

Welcome at the fastlane forum. Sounds like you are a hard worker. That will get you far with a little bit of saviness.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Your process on the 14 units is very much in line with the process that I like with many businesses.

That 40% increase in rents does not equal 40% increase in value. As you know using the cap rate approach, this gives you a much higher value on sale. NOI is the key number in the equation. Couple that with the cost of acquisition and improvements, gives you the recipe for real estate gains.

I have applied this to many apartments, retail strip center, and golf course. This is where the money is made! Great job!

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Excellent story and thank you for posting. You may want to pay attention @SteveO 's stuff; he did well in apartments and sold most of his holdings. Now he owns a golf course and is turning it around.

Insofar as your rentals, question: Can't you just comply with the rules and continue the AirBnb operation? Or, sell those properties and get into compliance with new properties?

Again, thanks for the intro and welcome aboard.

Thank you for the tip Mr. DeMarco. In regards to retaining the vacation rentals, the cities we were in started requiring hosts to be present during the guest's stay. In other words, you can rent out a spare bedroom but not the entire place. Their goal was to get rid of people doing this as a scaled up business. The hotel industry lobbied the cities for this as it was hurting them. It was very profitable but it could get crazy sometimes. I met people from all over the world which was a part of it that I enjoyed. Now I'm searching for my next "thing" which is why I'm here and also why I'm reading your excellent books. Thank you for putting so much time into them. Most self help books leave me with a "sugar high" that doesn't last but not yours.

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Your process on the 14 units is very much in line with the process that I like with many businesses.

That 40% increase in rents does not equal 40% increase in value. As you know using the cap rate approach, this gives you a much higher value on sale. NOI is the key number in the equation. Couple that with the cost of acquisition and improvements, gives you the recipe for real estate gains.

I have applied this to many apartments, retail strip center, and golf course. This is where the money is made! Great job!

Thank you SteveO. Yes, one of the formulas I used in addition to those you mentioned was GRM, or Gross Rent Multiplier. Once I realized a $100 per month increase on one unit in my area (where market values are at a GRM of 15 ) translated into an $18,000 increase in market value ($100 x 12 months x 15 GRM), well, this fueled the fire for following through on the project. Thanks again and I'll check out some of your relevant posts.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Thank you SteveO. Yes, one of the formulas I used in addition to those you mentioned was GRM, or Gross Rent Multiplier. Once I realized a $100 per month increase on one unit in my area (where market values are at a GRM of 15 ) translated into an $18,000 increase in market value ($100 x 12 months x 15 GRM), well, this fueled the fire for following through on the project. Thanks again and I'll check out some of your relevant posts.
The grm does not give you the same sense of acceleration that the cap rate will give you. I don't really buy into any of the formulas in all honesty. But the ratio of leverage coupled with the cap rate showed me how to proceed. I don't get excited about anything less than 100% return annually. Of course that will falter with time and the projects need to be in continuous renewal. Difficult to maintain but will give an excellent jump start.

I like the idea of building 1M in capital and then placing that into a passive NNN commercial deal. Here you will get true cash flow numbers that would resemble 100K per year per asset with rent bumps built in for years. Then keep that other process going to build more. Of course you could keep going with larger and larger deals but eventually you end up competing with very deep pockets.

As for looking at past posts. I used to present a lot more information on real estate deals many years ago. The information did not seem to help people here much so I stopped posting them. Look WAYYYYY back to find useful information.

Gwenqou

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Aug 10, 2016
Welcome Judicious,

I'm quite intrigued by your story, mind sharing greater detail about the process with those of us who are interested in the Real Estate Business?
(i.e. how did you get started with your first property, how did you eventually get to the point of buying the multifamily commercial properties.)

I have a lot of information to share about commercial multifamily investing if any of you are interested
Would love to hear about it

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Welcome Judicious,

I'm quite intrigued by your story, mind sharing greater detail about the process with those of us who are interested in the Real Estate Business?
(i.e. how did you get started with your first property, how did you eventually get to the point of buying the multifamily commercial properties.)

Would love to hear about it

Hello Gwenqou,

Sure, I would love to share more detail about this. After I left my corporate career I began attending real estate networking events (seminars, mixers) in the Los Angeles area. I made some friends with people into multifamily investing and found myself intrigued. I began researching the market at night while working on my vacation rental business. I was a complete novice. One of the brokers I met at an event reached out regarding a property he was representing both the buyer and seller on. In other words, his commission was covered at double the rate it would have been if he were only representing the seller. It became a complicated deal as there were legal issues that needed to be settled with the building. I had made an offer that was accepted before this came to light, and because I wanted the legal issues straightened out before proceeding the broker went and found a second buyer who immediately put the property into escrow. Then I had to get a real estate lawyer involved and it became a mess. At the advice of my attorney I threatened to tie the whole thing up in court for 6 months to a year, but it was only a formal threat. My attorney told me that if it actually went to court we would probably lose. The "posturing" worked because they backed down and I was able to buy the building. To be honest, I wasn't even sure if it was a great deal but in hindsight it was. Buying commercial is very different than residential because lenders want to make sure you're going to be a good "operator" or business owner. They're lending you up to 70% of the purchase price so that's understandable. You also have to have "cash reserves" beyond your cash down payment which I thought was nuts. For example, if you put down $700K on a $2MM property they want you to have another $500K in cash reserves. You don't really need to have it but you need to be able to go borrow it from other sources to show you can come up with it. They won't tell you it's OK to temporarily borrow these reserves from third party sources but it's known although never discussed. Anyway, I'm probably giving you more detail than you expected. It can be a complicated process but as MJ points out "the difficulty is the opportunity." Once you get in this world and prove yourself you become part of a sort of club. If you renovate and realize the the upside potential of your property brokers label you a "good operator" and want to work with you because they know you're likely to get through the financing process. So that was my first experience in multifamily. Most people start out with a single family rental or maybe a duplex. It just worked out differently for me. These days I'm pushing to get the exterior done before the bank's appraiser comes out for the refinancing inspection. The building looks newer on the inside than it does on the outside. Please let me know if you have any questions I didn't answer for you and good luck in your pursuit of multifamily real estate. It really is a great business.

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
The grm does not give you the same sense of acceleration that the cap rate will give you. I don't really buy into any of the formulas in all honesty. But the ratio of leverage coupled with the cap rate showed me how to proceed. I don't get excited about anything less than 100% return annually. Of course that will falter with time and the projects need to be in continuous renewal. Difficult to maintain but will give an excellent jump start.

I like the idea of building 1M in capital and then placing that into a passive NNN commercial deal. Here you will get true cash flow numbers that would resemble 100K per year per asset with rent bumps built in for years. Then keep that other process going to build more. Of course you could keep going with larger and larger deals but eventually you end up competing with very deep pockets.

As for looking at past posts. I used to present a lot more information on real estate deals many years ago. The information did not seem to help people here much so I stopped posting them. Look WAYYYYY back to find useful information.

Thank you SteveO. I don't have any experience with Triple Net lease opportunities. My initial thought is having a single tenant would be riskier than a multifamily building. Thoughts? I do however like the return you're suggesting on $1M in capital. Now I'm intrigued about what you're doing with those golf courses! Yes, I understand that you start competing with large corporations when you pursue larger (50+ units) multifamily deals. I have some of those properties all around my 14 unit building and I'm envious. I never thought I would drool over a 200 unit apartment complex but I do. Thanks again SteveO!

Last edited:

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Welcome at the fastlane forum. Sounds like you are a hard worker. That will get you far with a little bit of saviness.

Thank you Arthur. I'm here to learn and get motivated but also to contribute wherever I can. I find it very rewarding to help others achieve their goals even if it's as simple as sharing my past experiences. You're right about hard work. Show me a worthwhile achievement that didn't have hard work as its foundation. It simply doesn't exist.

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Thanks to all of you for being very welcoming and even sending me some direct emails. Now I am even more motivated to finish my apartment building exterior renovation along with reading TMF . I hope it makes sense to read TMF after reading Unscripted . Have any of you read them out of order? If so, does it make sense or is it repetitive?

The hardest part of all this lately is being entirely solo. It can be very challenging. Now I have to come up with something new and I've had *many* ideas but not very many really good ones. It's like a form of writer's block. I once heard a famous musician/song writer (John Rzeznik) talk about having writer's block in his earlier song writing days. He said, "the thing about writer's block is people think that means you can't write anything. It's almost the complete opposite. You write all the time, the only problem is everything you write sucks." I can relate.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Thank you SteveO. I don't have any experience with Triple Net lease opportunities. My initial thought is having a single tenant would be riskier than a multifamily building. Thoughts?
Usually a NNN property owner looks for credit tenants. Places like Chipotle, Wendy's, CVS pharmacy, etc... Your returns will not be as high with these but should be pretty stable. Sometimes you can get 20 year leases. There is always a risk that a company can go under.

Mine is a strip center with four tenants. 7-11, restaurant, optometrist, and high end tobacco shop. It is in a very strong and upscale location which helps keep it leased.

Multi-family is less risky but very time intensive.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I never thought I would drool over a 200 unit apartment complex but I do.
Been there. You lose the excitement with the workload. I had a 320 unit building that I worked my a$$ off for five years to maintain and keep running. Did not make a penny on that one. I had a 21 unit that I made half a million on in two years. It was not the only deal that I was working on. Others were giving similar returns at the same time.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
What a great intro post! Pretty sure you'd get things figured out with that attitude.

I only have the property I bought here in Singapore, and am focused on crypto right now as an investment.

When crypto stops being so lucrative I'm definitely looking forward to exploring property; the perennial investment of the rich.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...