The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Calling All Brainstormers..

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
A good friend of mine spent the past handful of years as an emerging markets equity portfolio manager. His returns were very good. He worked at one firm that tanked due to other strategies (not his). His former boss has made a lot of enemies in the business, and he has paid the price; no one wants to hire him.

Since then, I bought him a copy of Unscripted and he loves it. Now we're trying to figure out some way he can use his background to actually become unscripted , and enter the fastlane.

Any ideas? To get the process started, I've asked him to think about problems he has faced in his business, and how there might be solutions there but nothing yet.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
people have no easy access to cryptocurrencies(whats a wallet, whats a blockchain, what is crypto, why crypot etc...), make a website with cryptofunds or something simillar and let people invest into this! You friend has the right background for this kind of business

Cheers

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
people have no easy access to cryptocurrencies(whats a wallet, whats a blockchain, what is crypto, why crypot etc...), make a website with cryptofunds or something simillar and let people invest into this! You friend has the right background for this kind of business

Cheers
Thanks for the quick response!

His background was finance and picking stocks. I think someone who would create needs the technology background more than the investment background.

Paul Schuyler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Aug 7, 2016
The Woodlands, TX
A good friend of mine spent the past handful of years as an emerging markets equity portfolio manager. His returns were very good. He worked at one firm that tanked due to other strategies (not his). His former boss has made a lot of enemies in the business, and he has paid the price; no one wants to hire him.

Since then, I bought him a copy of Unscripted and he loves it. Now we're trying to figure out some way he can use his background to actually become unscripted , and enter the fastlane.

Any ideas? To get the process started, I've asked him to think about problems he has faced in his business, and how there might be solutions there but nothing yet.

Thanks!
Here's an idea I had a few weeks ago while I was in Costa Rica. I lived in the 3rd world for about 7 years in the early 2000's. While I was down there on this recent trip I stayed with a number of Expats in different areas, mostly really nice tropical pads. It can be beautiful to live there but there are some caveats. Mainly, property crime is rampant. No matter how nice your place is or how well guarded it is, you will be robbed when it is vacated, period. The thieves are generally non-violent there, but they're so good that if your place is left empty for 2-3 days its not uncommon to return to a place with no fridge, electronics, furniture, even safes etc. The expats have all kinds of entertaining painful stories of being robbed. I mean they just clean the place out without a whisper. If your friend has done equity management in the 3rd world then he knows this property crime situation is a basic reality outside any 1st world country. Sure, you can get fancy alarms, guard dogs, and whatever. But they don't work. The cops and judges are inept, even with evidence in hand. But the real reason property crime thrives in places like Costa Rica is that there is a thriving black market for goods. As a police inspector informed me when I was robbed years ago, every 'regular' store also has a 'back door' where they buy illicit goods no questions asked. Its the black market where innovation can bring change.

Anyway, my idea: simply create a blockchain ledger (probably using Ethereum), to register all your personal stuff. They've moving toward this in a number of areas anyway. Diamonds and properties are the current primary ledger targets. But if you had a versatile blockchain ledger applied to all your goods, you might be able to kill major black markets...putting thieves out of work and creating a chain of ownership for everything in the country. Not a revolutionary idea per se, but sorely needed.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
His returns were very good. He worked at one firm that tanked due to other strategies (not his). His former boss has made a lot of enemies in the business, and he has paid the price; no one wants to hire him.

I’m going to sort of call BS on this one. If he can pick stocks get good returns other companies would like to hire him.

I don’t believe that it is because of his boss that nobody wants to hire him.

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
I’m going to sort of call BS on this one. If he can pick stocks get good returns other companies would like to hire him.

I don’t believe that it is because of his boss that nobody wants to hire him.

Not sure what to tell you ‍♂️. I’ve seen the audited returns. They’re very good. Maybe it’s something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
And that’s not really the point here....

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Not sure what to tell you ‍♂️. I’ve seen the audited returns. They’re very good. Maybe it’s something else.

In my experience, when a good employee gets let go due to mergers, layoffs, etc... they usually have a handful of job offers from other companies. There's something else going on.

But as for him going fastlane, it's hard to say without knowing his skills. You say he's good at picking stocks, does this mean he's good at reviewing company financials or predicting future trends? Can he start a newsletter?

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
In my experience, when a good employee gets let go due to mergers, layoffs, etc... they usually have a handful of job offers from other companies. There's something else going on.

But as for him going fastlane, it's hard to say without knowing his skills. You say he's good at picking stocks, does this mean he's good at reviewing company financials or predicting future trends? Can he start a newsletter?

Reviewing financials. He’s a bottom up fundamental stock picker. Not a macro guy.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Here's an idea I had a few weeks ago while I was in Costa Rica. I lived in the 3rd world for about 7 years in the early 2000's. While I was down there on this recent trip I stayed with a number of Expats in different areas, mostly really nice tropical pads. It can be beautiful to live there but there are some caveats. Mainly, property crime is rampant. No matter how nice your place is or how well guarded it is, you will be robbed when it is vacated, period. The thieves are generally non-violent there, but they're so good that if your place is left empty for 2-3 days its not uncommon to return to a place with no fridge, electronics, furniture, even safes etc. The expats have all kinds of entertaining painful stories of being robbed. I mean they just clean the place out without a whisper. If your friend has done equity management in the 3rd world then he knows this property crime situation is a basic reality outside any 1st world country. Sure, you can get fancy alarms, guard dogs, and whatever. But they don't work. The cops and judges are inept, even with evidence in hand. But the real reason property crime thrives in places like Costa Rica is that there is a thriving black market for goods. As a police inspector informed me when I was robbed years ago, every 'regular' store also has a 'back door' where they buy illicit goods no questions asked. Its the black market where innovation can bring change.

Anyway, my idea: simply create a blockchain ledger (probably using Ethereum), to register all your personal stuff. They've moving toward this in a number of areas anyway. Diamonds and properties are the current primary ledger targets. But if you had a versatile blockchain ledger applied to all your goods, you might be able to kill major black markets...putting thieves out of work and creating a chain of ownership for everything in the country. Not a revolutionary idea per se, but sorely needed.

The Diamond Industry Is Obsessed With the Blockchain

D

Deleted50669

What problems can he solve? If he’s not solving a problem, I don’t care if he’s coding a moderated regression in R, it won’t be fastlane.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would tell him not to get upset if he can't find something that matches his skill set exactly.

The best opportunities rarely fall EXACTLY in line with your skills. That's where a growth mindset and a willingness to learn new stuff comes into play.

In this case, "old skills" rarely matches a new opportunity.

[GALLERY=media, 94]Education by MJ DeMarco posted Dec 6, 2017 at 8:45 AM[/GALLERY]

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Why does he need to be an employee? If he is so good at picking stock... then raise some capital from friends and family (and wealthy connections) and use that + his own money to do what he was doing before. Problem solved.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Thanks!

Emerging markets hedge fund or get your own ETF with a low overhead and therefore expense ratio.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Reviewing financials. He’s a bottom up fundamental stock picker. Not a macro guy.

Yes it doesn't make sense that he can't find a job simply because his firm's owner was sketchy. His audited track record of results should have employers knocking down his door. Just because the coach of the football team was caught cheating, doesn't mean the star quarterback can't sign onto another team. In other words, one bad apple shouldn't spoil the orchard.

Analyticz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2016
Maybe the underlying issue is that he doesnt want to work in that industry anymore.
Why cant he start investing his own money? Surely he has made some being in financial industry and amounts that they make?

Why cant he start buying a business (brick and mortar)? Something to get him moving in the right direction. If he knows that ins and the outs of finances and is a whiz on financial statements maybe he can spot some companies that he can buy cheap and turn around?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes it doesn't make sense that he can't find a job simply because his firm's owner was sketchy. His audited track record of results should have employers knocking down his door. Just because the coach of the football team was caught cheating, doesn't mean the star quarterback can't sign onto another team. In other words, one bad apple shouldn't spoil the orchard.

When the company I worked for got merged, everyone in the Chicago office was laid off. The good employees had plenty of offers from competing companies. The bad employees did not. Once I learned this lesson I was never worried about getting another job.

Here is what happened.

As employees in the same division you know who the good ones are, and who the bad ones are as you work closely with each other every day.

So let's say you have a company of 100 engineers. 1 engineer gets hired by Motorola, the hiring guy at Motorola says, we have 3 more spots to fill, who do you recommend? The engineer who knows that he needs to work with competent people will only recommend people that he gets along with and do good work. So he brings 3 of his coworkers to Motorola. Repeat this scenario with 20 other firms and everyone competent and likeable gets a job, unless NONE of his coworkers recommended him at any of the 20 firms.

And it was not just people hiring buddies, in fact people recommend guys that they did not like, but were good performers.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I've recently got to be pretty good and very passionate about the crypto space as I have been immersed in it for a couple months. So many ideas I'm currently exploring and executing; info product, newsletter, SaaS.

The crypto space is exploding and since your friend is good with a parallel industry I would suggest he look into the space, immerse himself in it and ideas will come flooding.

The opportunity to build businesses in the space is mind-boggling.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.