The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Market validation and product mock-up

Marketing, social media, advertising

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

So, I don't have my product quite yet. I was in the stage of contacting manufacturers but I think I need to pull back a little bit. I would like to do some market validation first. I found a website called launchpad where you can create a page of a product that does not exist yet and see if others show interest. Is there other ways to gain market validation? Any other ways to create a mock-up website? The other thing, I don't have a prototype of the product yet. What is the way to get around this? Do I just make up a similar product and throw up pictures? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
I think that's a good move. You should really get some sort of feedback from the market first.

The best feedback would be to get sales. But having people sign-up for your mailing list is OK.

I use Unbounce.com at the moment. It's really expensive, but they have a great editor to make landing pages and you can easily integrate MailCheat(Chimp) etc.

I have no experience from Launchpad.

As for the product mock-up: you should get some 3D renderings made. Do you have a a CAD-model of your product?

Feel free to PM me if you want a CAD-model or renderings made

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I think that's a good move. You should really get some sort of feedback from the market first.

The best feedback would be to get sales. But having people sign-up for your mailing list is OK.

I use Unbounce.com at the moment. It's really expensive, but they have a great editor to make landing pages and you can easily integrate MailCheat(Chimp) etc.

I have no experience from Launchpad.

As for the product mock-up: you should get some 3D renderings made. Do you have a a CAD-model of your product?

Feel free to PM me if you want a CAD-model or renderings made
Hi,
No I am still new to this I don't even know what CAD-models are. BTW, my product I am thinking about is a food item in a diet niche.

DavidK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
May 23, 2017
Hurricane, UT
@NewManRising
Why not start with something simple like a GoFundMe page and see what sort of traction you get, try to get involved in the niche community and present the concept to them?

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
Hi,
No I am still new to this I don't even know what CAD-models are. BTW, my product I am thinking about is a food item in a diet niche.

Yeah, and I'm an idiot with a pretty fixed mindset for not understanding that there are other products than just hard goods :D

CAD-models are 3D-models of your product made with computer, hence the name Computer Assisted Design.
You can certainly use them later to present your product packaging, but at this point you are better off by presenting your idea to possible customers in your niche. Think Facebook groups and such.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I made a post on a health forum and about a dozen people liked the idea and even through out other suggestions for products. But this is just about a dozen people and this doesn't mean they will buy. I am also worried about revealing too much and having someone steal my idea/recipe.

iizu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 23, 2016
Finland
I made a post on a health forum and about a dozen people liked the idea and even through out other suggestions for products. But this is just about a dozen people and this doesn't mean they will buy. I am also worried about revealing too much and having someone steal my idea/recipe.

Well now you have to decide if that's enough feedback for you to move on.

I mean it would be nice to have 100% certainty that your product turns out to be a success. That any money you invest in it now will come back to you 100x.

That would be so nice, safe and comfortable..

But that's not how this works. You have to take a risk and invest. That could mean time, money or both.

Nobody is going to buy your idea of a product. You need to have something tangible. Is this product something you can manufacture yourself in small quantities? Maybe you need to buy some special euipment, so be it. You can sell it later.

Make multiple batches until you get it right. When you got it figured out go to your local supermarket and negotiate a deal with the manager to arrange a tasting.

See what people think of your product and try to sell it.

wherethesunis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 14, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Just some thoughts:
Don't be too scared about being robbed. Be more scared about loosing/wasting your time on something that isn't requested by the market.

... says someone, who just spend 1 year programming his first saas WITHOUT doing a validation on the local market!

Right now I kind of wish that I would have picked up that phone earlier in order to try sell the idea to potential customers. I might have spent my time on some other idea/concept which is easier to sell.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.