The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have You ever been in this Indecisiveness situation?

Anything related to matters of the mind

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
Hi people and entrepreneurs!

I'm a new member here, from Spain.

And would like to ask you an advice because I'm 23 and I need some advice from older entrepreneurs on here.

Just telling you my short story.

I did high school as a technician and started working part-time while in school at age of 16 in a company as technician.

Then after high school, at age of 18 while I was really excited, I got into computer engineering college.

I was excited as I always played with computers security, electronics (but not advanced programming).

Then after one year of computer engineering college I was stuck, depressed and dropped out.

So for like 7-8 months I did random jobs like waiter, pizza delivery man and so on.

All those jobs were S**t and with really low pay with insane working hours.

Then I decided to get back to college at age of 20 and got back studying computer engineering again from start.

While in college again, I've discovered internet marketing, affiliate marketing, how Funnel works and started reading so much stuff and also the Millionaire fastlane and other business/sales/marketing books.

It was like I've discovered Gold lol.

Also I've discovered how to make money with craiglist flipping or reselling and it's not difficult, I got some money doing that.

So now I'm still in college at age of 23 (should already had finished) and I'm quite confused.

I see I can learn so much stuff on my own reading books of great people.

I'm bored going to classes, also If all goes well, I should finish college in one year (or worst case two years left).

Also I don't know why I don't use neither 30 minutes of my time to focus studying for exams.

Yesterday I was building a sales funnel on clickfunnel for a client I've pitched in Spain instead of studying for my exams..

It really makes me happy and excited to know more and do more.

And I've realized I HATE the computer/electronics engineering field (cannot keep doing computer programming) because I want to become a great business/sales mans (maybe I should have studied business degree don't know).

In this case asking you an advice on here entrepreneurs:

should I stick engineering college or just dropout and learn on my own?

I feel like I've wasted 5 YEARS OF MY LIFE because of my "indecision" mentality. I have this indecision since one year and I've told myself that it's enough: it's time to make a decision and commit to it.

I write my goal every day and it's to become a great marketer and sales/business man having multiple businesses (online and offline) while travelling the world and have freedom.

College seems so different from my long term goals.

So I'm sorry if my message is quite long but I'd like to ask you:

what would you do at 23 years old in this case?

Thanks for your help fellow entrepreneurs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi people and entrepreneurs!
what would you do at 23 years old in this case?
Thanks for your help fellow entrepreneurs.
I didn't think I'd ever use my education -- and I have 4 college degrees plus thousands of hours of professional training and 40+ years of experience. I have used all of it at the most usual moments and in unexpected situations. You're almost there. Finish you're college -- since you can, and do your business stuff on the side. You have a whole lifetime in front of you to set the world on fire with your brilliance.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Agreed. I was getting these feeling a few months ago. School was getting in the way of setting up a business. But, I was graduating so I focused on finishing. It's nice to use a job to build money up for your business plans.

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
I didn't think I'd ever use my education -- and I have 4 college degrees plus thousands of hours of professional training and 40+ years of experience. I have used all of it at the most usual moments and in unexpected situations. You're almost there. Finish you're college -- since you can, and do your business stuff on the side. You have a whole lifetime in front of you to set the world on fire with your brilliance.

Congrats! Wow 4 degrees!

Btw only problem is I feel like I wasted 5 years of my life studying from college something that I could learn on my own.

I don't want to waste more of my time. At this time I could have run multiple businessess in 5 years time frame or not ?

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
Agreed. I was getting these feeling a few months ago. School was getting in the way of setting up a business. But, I was graduating so I focused on finishing. It's nice to use a job to build money up for your business plans.

Ok so you advice to get a "good" job to save up and invest into my own business?

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
Whats the downside to finishing and doing business on the side?

The only problem apart that I feel I wasted 5 years it that I've realized I don't want to work in the programming Field, I've realized I HATE IT and that's what I'm studying in college and that's why my GPA is low now...

I'm really excited when I build sales funnels, apply marketing strategies and so on and it's more about sales/marketing/advertising stuff and not tech stuff.

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
It's silly to say you don't care about programming but you care about marketing and advertising and sales funnels. All of these things you care about are enhanced by programming skills because the market is digitizing them. Programming skills mixed with your interests could lead to many fastlane business opportunities.

As a programmer by trade (computer science), in my opinion, you're studying the perfect subject to follow your dreams but maybe you're too immature to see it at this point?

Last edited:

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Ok so you advice to get a "good" job to save up and invest into my own business?
Any job really. If you already invested a few years into college and are close to finishing then just finish it. I like the field I am in and it gives me income while I work on my business plans. Use college for other things too such as networking and listening to people's pain points. Since reading MJ's books I have been listening to people more and hearing them talk about problems.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
The only problem apart that I feel I wasted 5 years it that I've realized I don't want to work in the programming Field, I've realized I HATE IT and that's what I'm studying in college and that's why my GPA is low now...

I'm really excited when I build sales funnels, apply marketing strategies and so on and it's more about sales/marketing/advertising stuff and not tech stuff.
Muscle through, finish it for F*cks sake. Stop being a quitter.

Are you really going to let it defeat you?

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I agree with most of the others here: finish what you've started and mostly completed. Almost finishing is sometimes worse than never starting.

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
It's silly to say you don't care about programming but you care about marketing and advertising and sales funnels. All of these things you care about are enhanced by programming skills because the market is digitizing them. Programming skills mixed with your interests could lead to many fastlane business opportunities.

As a programmer by trade (computer science), in my opinion, you're studying the perfect subject to follow your dreams but maybe you're too immature to see it at this point?

I know sorry for the misleading part.

I know programming and how to use that for building websites and online funnels and know a bit of copywriting.

But really I don't see myself in the future of doing only computer engineering/programming I don't like it but I'd prefer to kick a$$ in the business side as well for sales and marketing.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
What stopping you from being an 'expert' in the IT industry, building a company (software, consulting...) and being the manager instead of the technician.

Be the guy at the top, doing all the marketing/consulting/calling/prospecting..and let your employees doing the programming work.
Because at the end, if you know a lot about IT technologies, nobody would screw you with their story.

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
What stopping you from being an 'expert' in the IT industry, building a company (software, consulting...) and being the manager instead of the technician.

Be the guy at the top, doing all the marketing/consulting/calling/prospecting..and let your employees doing the programming work.
Because at the end, if you know a lot about IT technologies, nobody would screw you with their story.

Thanks that is also true I know.

Better be at the top and be an expert of marketing and sales while having a knowledge of IT.

Btw if I hate this sector now, I was thinking in the worst case scenario I could switch to economics or communications studies instead of dropping out.
What do you think?

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Thanks that is also true I know.

Better be at the top and be an expert of marketing and sales while having a knowledge of IT.

Btw if I hate this sector now, I was thinking in the worst case scenario I could switch to economics or communications studies instead of dropping out.
What do you think?
My parents always thaught me that you can have the choice, but sometime the choice is not the right thing.
By that i mean, even if you don't like IT because of X reasons, deep down you know the money is there and the opportunities too, if you're good enough, but your soul is not there.

Exemple : I'm in the Coffee industry, but my soul is where the Automobile Racing / Cars is, but i'm here managing a Coffee Business, because it's the right thing.

So even if you don't like it anymore, it could actually be the right choice.
Notice that i could kill to be a Racecar driver, it's my absolute soul fullfillment, i could drive/race all day long, but it's not the time, i don't have the money to educate myself to Racing school, but hope one day i will be able to.
Or even better, drive my own sportcars on a racecar, privately reserved by myself.

As MJ always say, people can't make your choices, aswell as the forum.
Make the decisions for yourself, even if it's difficult.
The great life is not easy to obtain, it's a difficult path, all the bullshit about easy thing on the internet is a pure scam, it's hard.

Drop out only if you see an opportunity elsewhere, or switch for the studies you want.
See IT as an opportunity, we will always need skilled programmer.
For the communication/marketing, it's our thing now, people like myself already know how to market online, be aware of that.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
It's easy to get distracted by the heroics of the likes of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates on quitting school etc but you sound like you're really close to finishing, and realize that school isn't just about getting that degree.

I have an engineering degree and now my business has absolutely NOTHING to do with engineering but..
1. Going through hell in school trained my work ethics; my grades were shit but I learnt how to juggle school, play (I was active in school activities) and work (I interned for a tiny little company which is now a juggernaut now and I've always felt proud of that
2. I met my girlfriend (now wife, and mother of my child) in school
3. I learnt how to work with people; people who were really kind and fun, and people who were geeks and downright weird - it is a great protected environment to learn these things
4. Heck, my parents were happy I made it through

Why not take this as a challenge and hustle your way through work and school?

It could be super fun and challenging. While you are juggling, keep thinking of "how great it would be when the day comes when you graduate and don't NEED to look for a job" and when that day comes you'd probably already have a good bankroll saved up if you hustled hard enough and the world is your oyster.

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
My parents always thaught me that you can have the choice, but sometime the choice is not the right thing.
By that i mean, even if you don't like IT because of X reasons, deep down you know the money is there and the opportunities too, if you're good enough, but your soul is not there.

Exemple : I'm in the Coffee industry, but my soul is where the Automobile Racing / Cars is, but i'm here managing a Coffee Business, because it's the right thing.

So even if you don't like it anymore, it could actually be the right choice.
Notice that i could kill to be a Racecar driver, it's my absolute soul fullfillment, i could drive/race all day long, but it's not the time, i don't have the money to educate myself to Racing school, but hope one day i will be able to.
Or even better, drive my own sportcars on a racecar, privately reserved by myself.

As MJ always say, people can't make your choices, aswell as the forum.
Make the decisions for yourself, even if it's difficult.
The great life is not easy to obtain, it's a difficult path, all the bullshit about easy thing on the internet is a pure scam, it's hard.

Drop out only if you see an opportunity elsewhere, or switch for the studies you want.
See IT as an opportunity, we will always need skilled programmer.
For the communication/marketing, it's our thing now, people like myself already know how to market online, be aware of that.

What do you mean the "right thing?

Isn't the right thing following your gut ?

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
It's easy to get distracted by the heroics of the likes of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates on quitting school etc but you sound like you're really close to finishing, and realize that school isn't just about getting that degree.

I have an engineering degree and now my business has absolutely NOTHING to do with engineering but..
1. Going through hell in school trained my work ethics; my grades were shit but I learnt how to juggle school, play (I was active in school activities) and work (I interned for a tiny little company which is now a juggernaut now and I've always felt proud of that
2. I met my girlfriend (now wife, and mother of my child) in school
3. I learnt how to work with people; people who were really kind and fun, and people who were geeks and downright weird - it is a great protected environment to learn these things
4. Heck, my parents were happy I made it through

Why not take this as a challenge and hustle your way through work and school?

It could be super fun and challenging. While you are juggling, keep thinking of "how great it would be when the day comes when you graduate and don't NEED to look for a job" and when that day comes you'd probably already have a good bankroll saved up if you hustled hard enough and the world is your oyster.

Thanks for your advice man.

I was thinking in worst case scenario to change the degree instead of dropping out but if I'm closing to finish is better to finish the degree maybe.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
If you drop out, do you keep the credits you've earned? If so, just drop out, follow what your gut is telling you, and worse comes to worst, tuck your tail between your legs and get back into school. You live one life, the safe bet is to just finish college since you're one year away, but it's obviously burning at you and even one year of your life can ultimately turn out to be a waste. If you're anything like me, you'll learn more about yourself in the next year after dropping out than you ever would in your next year of structured bullshit.

Is there anything crucial or life-changing that you think you'll learn in that final year? Will having that degree at this point in time change anything for the goal you want to accomplish? If not, then take a chance, and if you fail just go back and finish. Especially in the computer programming field where degrees matter less and less every day.

I'm comfortable giving this type of advice, because if I mess your life up, it's a lesson that you shouldn't trust strangers with life decisions. I skipped my last year of high school and got my GED, tried college for a few weeks, multiple times, and dropped it each time. I'm better off now than I ever would have been. You, on the other hand, may end up homeless. Who knows, but when that fire inside is burning, it's time to go for it.

D

Deleted52409

Watch this video immediately:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ysis6vC8SI

You've got to find something and stick to it. I myself need to break the habit as well. One day I am going to make a thread about this topic. I am only 18 yet I still have an embarrassingly long laundry list of things I quit or never finished. At least the both of us are young.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Thanks for your advice man.

I was thinking in worst case scenario to change the degree instead of dropping out but if I'm closing to finish is better to finish the degree maybe.

I did consider to switch to getting a business degree during my second year but kind of figured that school is school, I'm not gonna love it from the bottom of my heart anyway lol.

Not saying pushing through was the right decision by any means, the final decision still depends on your situation; your desire, your motivation, your dependencies etc.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
What do you mean the "right thing?

Isn't the right thing following your gut ?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Obviously you never know and that's why i'm telling you we can't make the decision for you.

The right thing is sometime not the path you would like to take, but instead the path you want to run away from. (if that make sense)

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
For me its finish the school.

The reason for that is it seems that you don't have alternative. The billionaires dropouts had some validated business before they dropped out.

And two more things to think about:
You don't have to love computer programming, just use it as tool.
and
Elon Musk was a kind of programmer in the beginning (when created Zip2). Now he is famous business man.

Last edited:

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
I did consider to switch to getting a business degree during my second year but kind of figured that school is school, I'm not gonna love it from the bottom of my heart anyway lol.

Not saying pushing through was the right decision by any means, the final decision still depends on your situation; your desire, your motivation, your dependencies etc.

I was thinking of doing the same once but really I think I just need to study a lot and finish my degree and then do whatever the f**k I want lol

College just seems a prison for me.

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Obviously you never know and that's why i'm telling you we can't make the decision for you.

The right thing is sometime not the path you would like to take, but instead the path you want to run away from. (if that make sense)

What do you mean ? You mean that this way can help me with work ethic and learning how to grind?

jamesdran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 13, 2017
Spain
For me its finish the school.

The reason for that is it seems that you don't have alternative. The billionaires dropouts had some validated business.

And two more things to think about:
You don't have to love computer programming, just use it as tool.
and
Elon Musk was a kind of programmer in the beginning (when created Zip2). Now he is famous business man.

Elon Musk rocks lol

He's an inspiration for me but really he's a genius and started learning tech since he was 10 years old I think.

I think education is really important but college is like a prison nowdays for me, it kills creativity and feel to me I wasted lots of time while in that time I could have started a business or travelled the world.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
What do you mean ? You mean that this way can help me with work ethic and learning how to grind?
yes, i mean that changing for economic field instead of IT fields because you don't love what you're doing anymore is not a great idea, unless you have a valid reason for it.

An entrepreneur does not choose if he love what is doing or not, he see the opportunity in a field and go for it.

Grant Cardone is in R.E but was in cars before and he stills says that he don't particularly love what he's doing, but as he say "Gotta do what you gotta do" "get your money right".
See my point here, he don't love what he's doing, but he's great at it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.