The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi, I'm Zack and I build robots

Bitwise

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Dec 12, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Hi everyone! I'm happy to be here. Like most of you I've read both of MJ's books and found them to be the best books on business and self-actualization I've ever read. As an added benefit, I recently moved to Chandler, Arizona from Mississippi and so the books being written against the backdrop of Phoenix made them feel especially immediate and familiar.

I'm 37 and my background is in software development, engineering, and robotics. I've been interested in entrepreneurship for years but haven't been committed to participating in the process - at least not for myself. In retrospect I've worked very, very hard for both startups and established companies and I have contributed greatly to their success. Part of me is proud of that but now I fully realize the folly of pouring so much time and energy into something that was not and could never have been mine.

The theme in MJ's work that resonated the most with me was the elimination of gatekeepers in the entrepreneurial process. Imagining that a VC firm has to invest capitol for an idea to become a real product or that it needs the backing and distribution system of a large company is a great excuse for inaction. For me it was worse - I actually believed it. It seems silly now but I didn't realize it was possible to develop and launch a physical product without getting the approval of a gatekeeper first. MJ's books and the many posts on this forum (I've been lurking for a while) have convinced me otherwise and what I imagine to be possible has been completely transformed.

My focus is on developing physical products that incorporate robotics technology to solve real problems. There have been a proliferation of software applications that help all of us with informational tasks. There will be a similar proliferation of robotics applications that help us with physical tasks. I have deep expertise in software development and electronics and am happy to help other forum members however I can.

On the other hand, I'm a complete and total novice with respect to advertising and selling on the Internet. I'm consuming every book I can find on the nuts and bolts of setting up stores and ad campaigns. Again, many of your posts have been invaluable and have pointed me in the right direction - thank you. I'd love any suggestions you have for good books and articles on advertising and selling on the Internet.

I'm developing my first product now (a robotics product aimed at the education & STEM market) and will have an MVP ready in January. I'm very fortunate in that I possess all the skills needed to build the MVP so I can move quickly. I'm planning on giving away several of the MVPs to kids who would be part of the target market and then getting feedback from them and their parents. I'll make changes and then put up a product landing page and start marketing campaigns. I'm working out the details of manufacturing and packaging but it's looking very likely that I'll be able to fund an initial product run of 500 units myself.

It's great to be here and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and to share in this experience together.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Hey welcome, thats definitely a intresting background !! i shoot a question right away: can you please explain what kind of Robotic business are you building and do you manufacture this stuff in asia?

Bitwise

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Dec 12, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Hey welcome, thats definitely a intresting background !! i shoot a question right away: can you please explain what kind of Robotic business are you building and do you manufacture this stuff in asia?

Hi Vanderbilt, thanks for the question.

The first product I'm focused on is around STEM - so, think a low-cost kit which teaches kids the fundamentals of robotics and coding. This is a pretty common theme and I think I've determined some ways to add value where competing products aren't. The market will decide. All of my other focus is on non-industrial robotics. When you think "business robot" you might immediately think of factories and welding robots. I'm not currently interested in targeting that market. "Non-industrial" robotics applies to everything else - from robots that vacuum the floor to telepresence robots used in offices. The market size of non-industrial robotics is expected to absolutely dwarf industrial robotics over the next several years (Non-industrial robots overtake industrial robots in market size for the first time)

Regarding Asia - maybe. For practical non-toy applications at the scale I'm considering I don't see a way around directly controlling final assembly. A robot basically consists of: motors, sensors, circuit boards, and mechanical parts. The motors and circuit boards will almost certainly be sourced from China. The sensors come from all over, but Europe and the US are very well represented in high-end sensors. The mechanical parts - either injection molded from China, commodity parts sourced from where ever makes the most sense, or custom machined parts sourced from the US probably at great expense. The cost of assembly is a function of the robot design, but the stuff I have in mind would require minimal assembly.

The bigger problem/cost sink that worries me are support costs and the infrastructure it will require.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome neighbor! I living in Chandler much of my time in Arizona. We're having a forum Summit in February (at TSR) you should come on by in the evening hours to hob-nob.

I'm developing my first product now (a robotics product aimed at the education & STEM market) and will have an MVP ready in January. I'm very fortunate in that I possess all the skills needed to build the MVP so I can move quickly. I'm planning on giving away several of the MVPs to kids who would be part of the target market and then getting feedback from them and their parents. I'll make changes and then put up a product landing page and start marketing campaigns. I'm working out the details of manufacturing and packaging but it's looking very likely that I'll be able to fund an initial product run of 500 units myself.

Wow, impressive. Sounds incredibly promising, wish you could say more!

Bitwise

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Dec 12, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Welcome neighbor! I living in Chandler much of my time in Arizona. We're having a forum Summit in February (at TSR) you should come on by in the evening hours to hob-nob.

Thanks MJ - I've subscribed to the summit thread to keep an eye on it. If tickets are still available and it works out schedule-wise I'd love to attend the whole thing.

Last edited:

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
Hi everyone! I'm happy to be here. Like most of you I've read both of MJ's books and found them to be the best books on business and self-actualization I've ever read. As an added benefit, I recently moved to Chandler, Arizona from Mississippi and so the books being written against the backdrop of Phoenix made them feel especially immediate and familiar.

I'm 37 and my background is in software development, engineering, and robotics. I've been interested in entrepreneurship for years but haven't been committed to participating in the process - at least not for myself. In retrospect I've worked very, very hard for both startups and established companies and I have contributed greatly to their success. Part of me is proud of that but now I fully realize the folly of pouring so much time and energy into something that was not and could never have been mine.

The theme in MJ's work that resonated the most with me was the elimination of gatekeepers in the entrepreneurial process. Imagining that a VC firm has to invest capitol for an idea to become a real product or that it needs the backing and distribution system of a large company is a great excuse for inaction. For me it was worse - I actually believed it. It seems silly now but I didn't realize it was possible to develop and launch a physical product without getting the approval of a gatekeeper first. MJ's books and the many posts on this forum (I've been lurking for a while) have convinced me otherwise and what I imagine to be possible has been completely transformed.

My focus is on developing physical products that incorporate robotics technology to solve real problems. There have been a proliferation of software applications that help all of us with informational tasks. There will be a similar proliferation of robotics applications that help us with physical tasks. I have deep expertise in software development and electronics and am happy to help other forum members however I can.

On the other hand, I'm a complete and total novice with respect to advertising and selling on the Internet. I'm consuming every book I can find on the nuts and bolts of setting up stores and ad campaigns. Again, many of your posts have been invaluable and have pointed me in the right direction - thank you. I'd love any suggestions you have for good books and articles on advertising and selling on the Internet.

It's great to be here and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and to share in this experience together.

That is a seriously cool niche! Two of my close friends run a company that makes STEM education materials for kids; they frequently review STEM toys/educational products/books and I bet they would be happy to review yours if you want to contact someone with a bit of a platform for your initial product giveaway. Just reach out to me when it's ready if that would be of any help to you! :) And welcome to the forum!

Bitwise

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Dec 12, 2017
Chandler, AZ
That is a seriously cool niche! Two of my close friends run a company that makes STEM education materials for kids; they frequently review STEM toys/educational products/books and I bet they would be happy to review yours if you want to contact someone with a bit of a platform for your initial product giveaway. Just reach out to me when it's ready if that would be of any help to you! :) And welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I'd really appreciate that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...