The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the BEST "value" you ever paid for?

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Speaking of mud. Best $25 you will ever spend. I guarantee it!

View attachment 17122
I was just going to post this. Once you have it, hard to go back. $25 is hard to beat, it takes 10 minutes to tap into your water system and set up.

Best Value:

KEF Q500, bought it on sale for 50% off. Use it for HOURS every day. I get maximum enjoyment out of audio. The $ value I got per hour of use is unbeatable. Only will get lower as time goes on. Even though the entire setup was $2k+, worth every penny I would do it again.

product_479586_45743.jpg

George Foreman Grill. <$45
I used to use this every day in college, just close it and wait. Cooks frozen.

I'm looking into slow cookers but I don't like how everything cooked on a slow cooker is soup-y and moist.

GR136B_prd1_HR.ashx

Macbook Pro. I don't care what anyone says about it being over priced or useless. You either get it or you don't. I can never replace this for productivity.
Name one alternative that satisfies all of the following: Amazing color accurate screen, superb touchpad for photo editing and accurate tracking, really good battery life, very good build quality, holds resale value well.

There is none. I paid $1500+ for it and pennies per hour of use.

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy80OTg5L2cvYXBwbGUtbWFjYm9vay1wcm8tMTMtMjAxNi1udy1nMDIuanBn

How I Quantify Value:

This is something I came up with when I would research and think about making an impulse purchase. It's obviously not a clear rule, sometimes if I want something I just buy it.

But I estimate the amount of value I get out of the product/service that I want to pay for in terms of consumption. (For ROI and business, it's a different story).

I give it a rating between 1-10 on how much enjoyment I get out of using it.

For example, speakers are 10/10, maximum enjoyment. Very little tops good audio and listening to music in terms of the level of pleasure I get from it.
Watching a movie, maybe around 7/10 or 8/10.

Then I estimate how many hours of use it would realistically get, and the expected life span of product. So if I use it about 5 hours/day, maybe 5 days/week. 25 hours/week = 100 hours/month = 1200 hours/year.

Total Cost/ Total hours = $2400/1200 = $2 per each hour of use. For the first year.
If the expected life span is 5 years (more for speakers usually), it's $2400/6000 = $.40/hour.

I use my speakers more than this. and even if I didn't, the enjoyment I get out of it is 10/10.

Compare that to other consumption and fun activities:
- a movie in West LA for $16 for 2 hour run time. About $8/hr. Enjoyment only 7/10 usually. Sometimes less.
- eating out at an average weekend dinner place + tip + tax. $25/person minimum + $10 refreshments + gas, etc. $50/night. 4 hours. $12.50/hr
- go carts? I dont know probably like $30/hr

Not a clear and hard rule but when you look at how much enjoyment you'll get out of something and how much it will cost you per HOUR of consumption or use, it puts into perspective how much it's costing you.

A lot of equipment that seems expensive actually ends up being very cheap and full of value given how often you use it. I stopped spending money on things that don't give me a high level of enjoyment, has a high cost $ per hour, or isn't sentimental or important.

Noticed a lot more purchases focused on things that last and get frequent use, over temporary things.

Obviously you can easily be in self denial and talk yourself into buying a new Corvette because it's only $30/hr extra over the next car. This only works if you're honest with yourself and how much you can afford to begin with.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Let's take this science / pseudo-science debate to another thread.

One of the worst sources of value I've ever spent is my time in arguments regarding what is and is not a "fact" as it pertains to subjects of "science".

Regardless of who is right, it's not really relevant here.
Agreed.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
Question for anyone...how does your butt dry after cleaned / sprayed? Thanks.

Step 1: Clean your butt using water. I just sit there and let the water clean my butt for 3-5 minutes. I use water until it's 100% clean.
Step 2: Use toilet paper to dry your butt.

But here's the catch: The pressure of the water should be enough to clean the mud, otherwise it won't work.

After using this method you will never return back to what you're doing right now.

Eisenstein

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Dec 1, 2017
Heidelberg, Germany
The best values I ever paid for:
a computer, internet connection and books, books, books.

Mainly I buy ebooks, since I rather read digitally and not physically. Best thing, ebooks are cheaper, and I like to have 100+ very good and helpful books available in a movable computer. Besides that, I somehow live in the Internet, it's kind of a home. It's crazy how much opportunity the internet is giving us, you can see on Instagram how other people live, you can see what's possible or not, and it encourages you to create your own life actively. This burst of enormous knowledge will help us to change the world in a better way dramatically! I'm so thankful to be a "digital native" and to experience all this opportunities.

With books and learning from the experience of others I can develop much faster and reach my dreams and targets. It's so valuable. It's crazy that some of the most life-changing knowledge only costs 5€ (e.g. this was the price I paid for TMF ).

fortu1992

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 24, 2017
Mileto VV Italy

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perhaps premature as I haven't dealt with the maintenance yet, but thus far I'm enjoying my off-road machine as a great value. I feel like a kid in this thing, whipping around the sand, the trails, and conquering mountains. I also get the enjoyment of "hiking" in some incredible picturesque nature-scapes without the fatigue. There is also an incredible feeling of defiance in it ... when you see a large hill composed of rock boulders, you can say, "FU", I'm going up it!

While I knew I lived in a great place for nature and exploring, I never really spent time really digging into all the great places. This range and the big canyon is just minutes from my house.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

My German Shepherd.

+1. Ours was just a few hours away from being euthanized. The pound labeled him a danger. The truth turned out that he is the most friendliest dog I ever owned, let alone met. You could put a t-Bone steak on your face and he would gracefully remove it, then lick your face dry.

Not a day goes by when I realize how f*cked up animal care is around the world, even for man's best friend, the dog.

IMG_0054.jpg

My huge mouse pad/desk mat.

OMG that's great. I'm a buyer on that.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Do you recommend a particular model?

If you have big hands you might want to go with the long handled version. Some of them open differently to change the blades, but they all do basically the same thing. Choosing the right blade is more important, a lot of the japanese ones are high quality and very sharp.

killa_graham

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 25, 2014
Texas
Squatty Potty. Or generic knockoffs.

Seems dumb until you use it for about a week.

Then you realize your toilet hygeine has been wrong your whole life and you can never go back.

Also just discovered Movie Pass. Unlimited theater entry (1 movie/day) for $10/mo. Great value if you go more than once a month.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
Perhaps premature as I haven't dealt with the maintenance yet, but thus far I'm enjoying my off-road machine as a great value. I feel like a kid in this thing, whipping around the sand, the trails, and conquering mountains. I also get the enjoyment of "hiking" in some incredible picturesque nature-scapes without the fatigue. There is also an incredible feeling of defiance in it ... when you see a large hill composed of rock boulders, you can say, "FU", I'm going up it!

While I knew I lived in a great place for nature and exploring, I never really spent time really digging into all the great places. This range and the big canyon is just minutes from my house.

View attachment 17127

View attachment 17128

+1. Ours was just a few hours away from being euthanized. The pound labeled him a danger. The truth turned out that he is the most friendliest dog I ever owned, let alone met. You could put a t-Bone steak on your face and he would gracefully remove it, then lick your face dry.

Not a day goes by when I realize how f*cked up animal care is around the world, even for man's best friend, the dog.

View attachment 17130

OMG that's great. I'm a buyer on that.
A man can never go wrong with a good dog!

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
Lots of great items on this thread!

Mine:

Instant Pot: Pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker---it does everything. Including save my marriage.

Amazon Kindle: So many hours of reading (and not lugging around books)

Nubian Heritage African Black Soap---the smell is incredible and costs the same as the junk from your supermarket.

Amazon Prime membership: Free shipping, a Kindle lending library, and their streaming service? No-brainer.

Apothic wine: A fantastic red blend for $8? Yup. Better than most $30-40 bottles out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Lol, whatever. If you want to fill your body with chemicals that are very similar to estrogen be my guest but when I see you walking down the street with man-boobs, dont be mad if I chuckle.
CHEMICAL IS ONLY INSIDE YOUR MIND.

BrettA

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Aug 18, 2017
Miami
Cool thread.

Kindle - check
MJ's books (Among others) - check

Current BEST value - this thing. Posture pump works better than any any upper thoracic chiropractic adjustment I have EVER had. My neck lost it's natural curve somewhere in life and this is fantastic.

I know it looks dopey but well worth the $120. spent posture pump.jpg

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Your statements are out of context and generic.
In flaxseed there are not health-threatening estrogens but only Phytoestrogens.
Natural Phytoestrogens, Lignans, in minimal quantities are not harmful to health and the contrary held to the body antioxidant functions.
One spoon of flaxseed in the breakfast has only positive effects for Health.

DavidK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
May 23, 2017
Hurricane, UT
Audible- Have learned so much for a mere $25 per month...
Protein/Meal Replacement Powders- Convenient and a huge time saver, don't forget the mixer bottle (another high value item).
Exercise Bands- I spend most days in hotels for work, these are great for travel.
Beachbody on Demand- Stream any BB program for only 99$ a year, amazing value if you are serious about fitness and enjoy BB programs.
Kuhl Clothing- Especially the "Renegade," line of pants/shirts. I have sold so many coworkers on these... just look them up if you're looking for some good outdoor clothing.

Time for someone to start the worst "value" thread...

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
A good computer with a solid state drive. Just bought it on Black Friday weekend and it is already one of the best purchases I have ever made. The speed that it opens and loads webpages is absolutely insane. I normally buy $2-300 computers and only spent about $500 for this one. It is well worth the additional cost.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWZ7JB2/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

jms0717

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 31, 2017
San Angelo, TX
Blowing mud out??? What have you been eating... dietary fibres and seeds???:rofl::rofl:

You remind me of my principal, who used to term it,'making cake'.

I didn't know shit could get that bad:shit:
You know healthy stools aren't supposed to be in lumpy mud form, right?

Shit aside, I used this for cleaning purposes in college:
41CAkzhUCPL._SY355_.jpg

Not that I have a baby to wipe, but it's a great hack for wiping tables, dirt and dust off floors and spring cleaning in ten minutes.

Surprisingly good time saver.

Great alternative to lugging around heavy vacuum cleaners or squeezing out washcloths with weariness.

Now that I have a baby, I don't understand why people don't just buy them. I wipe my makeup off with them, I clean my surfaces (that don't involve food) with them, I clean my hands (sticky stuff, not bathroom stuff), I clean my toddler, I can use them in a pinch if we're out of toilet paper. They're amazing.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
Sodium bicarbonate

AKA: baking soda (whatever brand)

41GG7dRJLLL.jpg

My favorite use: a natural body deodorant

Seriously. Better than 99% of crap out there. Dirt cheap.

Mix with just a small amount of water to make a paste, rub it under armpits and let it dry. I wash it off after a few minutes as I have sensitive skin and gets irritated if I don't, but some people just leave it on the skin.

Don't take my word for it. Try it. Thank me later.

Sodium bicarbonate: an excellent deodorant by John Henderson Lamb, m.d.

Last edited:

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Step 1: Clean your butt using water. I just sit there and let the water clean my butt for 3-5 minutes. I use water until it's 100% clean.
Step 2: Use toilet paper to dry your butt.

But here's the catch: The pressure of the water should be enough to clean the mud, otherwise it won't work.

After using this method you will never return back to what you're doing right now.

I don't remember where I heard it, but I switched to baby wipes after hearing "Imagine stepping on dog shit and trying to clean it off your shoes with dry toilet paper".

Have a pair of the Luxe Neo 185 bidets being shipped as we speak to try this out.

As far as the best value, every video game I buy turns out to be an incredible value for me. For $60 I get weeks/months of fun, compared to at least $100 for just one night out with my wife. I keep my brain and hand-eye coordination in good shape, and it exercises the creative and problem-solving parts of my brain. (As an added bonus, we tend to eat out less while I'm saving the world for those few weeks)

One of my recent favorites:

Hv5WVGS.jpg

Steppenwolf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jan 30, 2017
Germany, Augsburg
alpine_musicsafe_pro_w_01.jpg

First I was like shit all the nice items have already been picked (Blackroll & alternative odor blocker)

1.Alpine Musicsafe ~ 20 €

Since I am going out to clubs and festivals alot.

I damaged my ears on a 12 hour rave when i was 19 and then had a tinnitus, got infusions to increase blood flow in the head to help recover the ears.

I have been wearing these now for 5 years bought 4 pairs since then. You can hear people way better in loud venues with these and they keep all the extreme high noises out. + Nobody even recognizes that I am wearing them

Keep your ears safe lads, your old self will thank you alot.

2. The Prodigy Concert ~ 60 €
Insane experience, surviving in the moshpit for 1 1/2 hours felt like a ritual.

bose-companion-3-multimedia-lautsprecher-system-klinke-anschluss_z2.jpg

3. Bose Companion 3 ~ 300 €

Good audio quality is a must in my eyes.
This 2.1 System is producing such a well sound, I would hate to miss them in my everyday life.
Small yet loud - if needed.

mustang.png

4. These Mustang Boots. ~ 80 €

I wear them from September till April here in Germany.
You can easily take minus 20 degrees celcius with those and easily + 15 degrees.
Already bought a second pair. One to go out with and the other for fancy occasions.

nasensp--ler----nasenk--nnchen-nasensp--lk--nnchen-gro--_28_0.jpg

5. Neti Pot

The Neti Pot has been a game changer when you`re starting to get a cold.
(You can also do it preventive)

Warm water, sea salt
Let it rinse through your nose

It`s really unconfortable at first but it works way better than anything you'll get from big pharma.

It treats stuffed nose and throat issues. Since your throat often gets infected by the bacteria coming down from your nose.

31bLXJwHXlL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6. The One Thing

Out of all books this one blew my mind the hardest and the lessons learned from it will definitely make myself a fortune. I read this just 2 months ago and this Book was exactly what I needed for my current life situation and where my business is currently at.

Last edited:

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
For me it's always been my utility bills; water/sewer, gas, and electric. Fresh water in, waste water out. An endless cooking flame or source of heat. So much electricity that even Clark Griswold couldn't kill the nuclear electric power plant with his 250 string 25,000 white Christmas bulb extravaganza (once the right switch was flipped, of course).

I noticed some of you said "Internet" but maybe you're taking these other things for granted? No electricity, no Internet. No water and all your fancy toilet paper, pre-moistened wipe debates head right outside to that lovely little outhouse. Try going without indoor plumbing or electricity for a week (or even a few days) and then come back here and tell me it's not an amazing value for a modest amount per day. Or just turn your water heater off and see how that goes over with the family. I'm a landlord and trust me it gets real ugly real fast when I have to turn the water off to my building to replace a section of leaking copper pipe. The nicest of people get antsy within a few short hours. In Africa there are families thrilled to tears, literally, with a small solar panel and a single light bulb so their kids can read inside after dark. We're all spoiled and that's why it's so challenging to come up with a way to add that oh-so-elusive thing called value to the lives of people living in the First World. If you could travel back a few hundred years and tell people we eventually come up with a way, year round, for other people to grow your food, transport your food, and then cook that food in a restaurant so someone else can pick it up and deliver it within minutes still steaming hot to your front door,well, they wouldn't have believed it. So, for me, basic utilities are the best value going. But I did read through this entire thread and some of your gadgets and must-haves were pretty cool.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
An ergonomic keyboard for sure.
7332059_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

I have this $30 one, and it feels so much more natural than a regular flat keyboard. It takes an hour or so to get used to, but then it's smooth sailing from there.

Additionally, a vape to quit smoking. Nothing like ripping puffy clouds and changing weather patterns while typing on my ergonomic keyboard.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.