The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Apple enforcing templated apps ban

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Apparently Apple announced this 6 months ago, and is now enforcing it. From what I've seen, some templated apps are fine, but most are garbage that obscures real software in the App Store. I wonder if graphical assets will be affected, or if they will be looking at code. A lot of indie developers buy graphical assets for otherwise unique apps.

Report: Apple cracking down on template applications, giving developers January 1 deadline

"Apple has been working diligently over the last year to clean up the App Store and rid it of spam and clone applications. A new report from TechCrunch, however, outlines the effect that Apple’s newfound efforts are having on apps built around templates…

The report explains that Apple is cracking down on applications that are built from a “commercialized template or app generation service.” While Apple had included new rules about these types of apps following WWDC in June, only now is it starting to crack down.

Apple has been sending emails to companies taking advantage of templates, telling them that any new applications will be rejected. It’s unclear, however, what approach Apple will take to existing applications. TechCrunch explains that some developers have been able to continue to update their apps, but now fear that Apple could change its tone at any point."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Apparently Apple announced this 6 months ago, and is now enforcing it. From what I've seen, some templated apps are fine, but most are garbage that obscures real software in the App Store. I wonder if graphical assets will be affected, or if they will be looking at code. A lot of indie developers buy graphical assets for otherwise unique apps.

Report: Apple cracking down on template applications, giving developers January 1 deadline

"Apple has been working diligently over the last year to clean up the App Store and rid it of spam and clone applications. A new report from TechCrunch, however, outlines the effect that Apple’s newfound efforts are having on apps built around templates…

The report explains that Apple is cracking down on applications that are built from a “commercialized template or app generation service.” While Apple had included new rules about these types of apps following WWDC in June, only now is it starting to crack down.

Apple has been sending emails to companies taking advantage of templates, telling them that any new applications will be rejected. It’s unclear, however, what approach Apple will take to existing applications. TechCrunch explains that some developers have been able to continue to update their apps, but now fear that Apple could change its tone at any point."
It's one of those "Who Moved My Cheese?" situations representing both big pain & big opportunity at the same time. Clearly there will be winners and losers here, but as always, once things shake out, there will be opportunity for smart entrepreneurs to capitalize. All those businesses who were depending on templated apps are going to need a solution, right?

Another lesson here is that you can succeed temporarily while violating the principle of CONTROL, but sooner or later, you are bound to get BURNED. Happened before to me, and it will happen again. Apple (or Facebook/Google/Amazon/etc) both giveth and taketh away...

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

So are apps produced by free app makers (drag and drop) in the red?
Usually people just copy and paste on those platforms, and yes, follow templates.

EDIT: Ok @BrooklynHustle thanks for answering that for me...(red face)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Doh. No surprise IBM is exempt from having to do anything original.

"Not surprisingly, Apple’s partnership with IBM, which involves IBM building template-based apps for enterprise clients, is not impacted by the new rules."

Apple’s widened ban on templated apps is wiping small businesses from the App Store
As one successful appreneur friend once put it "Apple is in business for Apple".

Best not to get too romantic about these things. There are absolutely different sets of rules.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
And maybe NEED too.
I mean, does EVERY business need an app?
Doubt it. For many I'm sure it's just FOMO, although I'd guess most businesses are under-leveraging the attention available on mobile.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.