The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here goes nothing! (My Story)

College Dropout

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Hello All,

I don't quite know where to start this or if I'm going to end up making an a** of myself but I'm going to do my best to keep this introduction short and sweet. Growing up, I had my fair share of mental issues that hindered me in many aspects of life, especially socially.

This year, I moved away to college and it was the social equivalent of Disneyland. Although I still struggled socially, I had a fantastic time and met lots of people; then it happened, my FTE. Before I could blink, I went from partying on the beach to being moved in with my parents at their new home in North Carolina alternating between binge watching Netflix in their basement and taking lengthy mid-day naps out of boredom.

It would seem that universe decided swiftly and suddenly punt me in the right direction as I soon found myself in the perfect environment to pursue my entrepreneurial aspirations that I had essentially put on hold to enjoy the social aspect of college life. I am now seeking help for the mental issues that have plagued me my entire life, I am going to the gym everyday, and I feel a sense of mental clarity that I have not felt for a long time.

However, the most significant impact of the sudden change in my life is that I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, unscripted entrepreneurship and my life thereafter. In the next two months, I will be moving out and starting my journey. Time to get started!

@MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Welcome what are your plans?

College Dropout

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Welcome what are your plans?

I am assuming you mean entrepreneurial plans. I honestly do not know as of right now. I have been finishing up Unscripted and implementing some of the methods MJ talks about for finding ideas but I haven't found anything that really stands out to me as something that would work. However, I have list after list of potential ideas. None of them were created by listening to the market as described in Unscripted so I am unsure as to whether or not they are viable. Either I need to get better at assessing potential opportunities or I need to just pick the best idea I've come up with and run with it. Maybe I just need to read the book again. I am clearly missing something and I don't wear "wantrepreneur" well. If you or anyone else would like to offer insight into this it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
For ideas just keep thinking of problems you can solve or things you can make better, you are either selling a service or product. Look up the gold threads to, lots of free information

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Welcome;

I am situated in upstate SC. Glad to see more southerners on FLF. Different and the right minded individuals make up the majority of this great forum.
All i can say is from my experience, education isn’t confined to four walls and a campus; there is a plethora of educational options online or at the local library. When i was struggling and in my lean days, the local library was my safe haven; (kept me out of trouble and led me to increase skills and get moving). You just have to figure out mentally that this is what it is. Life will hit you and it should light a fire under your @$$. If you gotta hustle hustle hard and smart and then try to work on your project or venture that you can put all 110% in.

If you are ever in Greenville or charlotte let me know. Would like to arrange a FL Meetup perhaps in Charlotte;

College Dropout

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Welcome;

I am situated in upstate SC. Glad to see more southerners on FLF. Different and the right minded individuals make up the majority of this great forum.
All i can say is from my experience, education isn’t confined to four walls and a campus; there is a plethora of educational options online or at the local library. When i was struggling and in my lean days, the local library was my safe haven; (kept me out of trouble and led me to increase skills and get moving). You just have to figure out mentally that this is what it is. Life will hit you and it should light a fire under your @$$. If you gotta hustle hustle hard and smart and then try to work on your project or venture that you can put all 110% in.

If you are ever in Greenville or charlotte let me know. Would like to arrange a FL Meetup perhaps in Charlotte;
Will do! A meetup would be great! Thank you for the advice! I couldn't agree more.

Also, just a little update (I hope this is allowed on this thread): I have been brainstorming ideas for quite a while and I finally settled on a simple yet unique product that I could see being potentially successful. This is something that, to my knowledge, has not been done before but there are somewhat similar products that have sold very well on amazon. More than anything I am excited to move past the idea/ action faking stage, even if the product ends up being a dud. The main concerns I am having thus far lie in the simplicity and obviousness of the product (which seems like something that might prevent trademarking?) as well as the lack of substantial volume in complaints regarding the issue I am addressing. MJ talks about listening to what the market wants but I have only found less than ten forum posts, etc. asking specifically for solutions to the problem I am addressing. I am going to try and determine how to best gather substantial soft proof tomorrow and get to work. I also went ahead and subscribed to Maker's Row to look for manufacturers, which I realize is a bit of a mental masturbation/ action-fakeresque thing to do; it was just too tempting. Still, the service appears useful and I have reached out to one manufacturer already. Any advice?

The more I practice, the more I am able to see potential ideas/ opportunities to create value and it feels great. Even though I have not actually accomplished much, I can tell that I am learning.

Last edited:

College Dropout

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
I thought I'd post an update just for kicks. If anyone is interested, feel free to read.

In the last few months, I've been fortunate enough to have learned an incredible amount about myself and what I want out of life. I've come to the realize my calling, which is certainly business/sales. I work long hours at a tough, high stress, sales job, and I love every second of it! I love waking up in the morning ready to kick a$$, brushing my teeth while listening to podcasts by Grant Cardone and Victor Antonio, and rehearsing what to say to prospects on the ride to work. I love grabbing cheap coffee early in the morning, practicing pitching and overcoming objections, modifying my phone script(s), and setting appointments. I love hard-selling people through the phone and in person when I know it's in their best interest. I love cold calling. I love turning words into money. I love helping people. Nothing gets me more excited than learning how to project my best self through my words and influence people. Hell, when I'm not working, I miss it. Sorry for all the "me... me.... me..." I just felt the need to share. Your thoughts are appreciated! Feel free to share your own stories/ progress reports as well. I'd love to hear!

Lord Business

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 24, 2018
finland
I thought I'd post an update just for kicks. If anyone is interested, feel free to read.

In the last few months, I've been fortunate enough to have learned an incredible amount about myself and what I want out of life. I've come to the realize my calling, which is certainly business/sales. I work long hours at a tough, high stress, sales job, and I love every second of it! I love waking up in the morning ready to kick a$$, brushing my teeth while listening to podcasts by Grant Cardone and Victor Antonio, and rehearsing what to say to prospects on the ride to work. I love grabbing cheap coffee early in the morning, practicing pitching and overcoming objections, modifying my phone script(s), and setting appointments. I love hard-selling people through the phone and in person when I know it's in their best interest. I love cold calling. I love turning words into money. I love helping people. Nothing gets me more excited than learning how to project my best self through my words and influence people. Hell, when I'm not working, I miss it. Sorry for all the "me... me.... me..." I just felt the need to share. Your thoughts are appreciated! Feel free to share your own stories/ progress reports as well. I'd love to hear!

Epic! The best natural talent for an entrepreneur imo is selling. You are on a right path! Also, glad to see that you have a clear vision and will. If you already haven't done it, i'd suggest Jeb Blound Fanatical Prospecting and Sales EQ, also Jordan Belfort new book on sales.
Are you selling your own product or something else?
Also - I feel kind of related - because I have a chronic illness, so check out my intro and progress report from time to time if you like :) cheers!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Great news, this will help you your entire life. Just be careful, persausion can be used for good or bad. Bro-marketers use it to push junk products, just like The Wolf of Wall Street used it to push worthless stocks.

Thanks for the update.

College Dropout

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 22, 2017
Winston-Salem, NC
Great news, this will help you your entire life. Just be careful, persausion can be used for good or bad. Bro-marketers use it to push junk products, just like The Wolf of Wall Street used it to push worthless stocks.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks so much MJ! I never sell to anyone who doesn't need what I have to offer. If I can't qualify my leads, I stop trying to sell. Granted, I've only been at it a few months and have had almost no guidance whatsoever from my company. Everything I've learned, I've learned on my own. It's been truly amazing. I'm busting my a$$, and even teaching my general manager how to sell. The only issue is, although I am learning more than I could have ever hoped, the pay is horrible and regardless of how well I sell for my company, it will be months before I make over $20k per-year and there are very limited options for moving up. I think I'll post a new thread on this seeking advice.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Everything I've learned, I've learned on my own. It's been truly amazing. I'm busting my a$$, and even teaching my general manager how to sell. The only issue is, although I am learning more than I could have ever hoped, the pay is horrible and regardless of how well I sell for my company, it will be months before I make over $20k per-year and there are very limited options for moving up.

Process man, process.

Consider all of this *work* the words behind your big story.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...