The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TinyOldLady is learning JavaScript

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hello everyone!

I am a tiny old lady from Germany, originally from Kazakhstan (yes, the Kazakhstan from the Borat movie ;) )

My story:
-loved chemistry -> worked as chemical laboratory worker
-realized that physics is even better than chemistry -> quit job, got phd in physics
-hated physics -> back to job (engineer in automotive industry... some lovely people there, the "chain of screaming" is real)
-realized I became the person whose only wish is to buy a house (I used to laugh about such people)
-quit job to become an entrepreneur (1 year ago)
-got frightened and gave lectures at a university = stupid decision made out of fear = huge time waste, leading nowhere
-stopped the lectures -> now finally concentrating on the real reason why I quit my job
(and I love physics again :smile2:)

My current goal: programming a browser application that simulates something (kind of pre-design-tool for a certain handcraft). Thanks to @Fox ‘s thread I discovered Codecademy and completed some courses there. Now I am learning JavaScript in a great book (at least I could get nice free ebooks at the university library :smuggy:).

I am also writing a science fiction novel, but it is an incredibly hard work and I just passed the 5000 words mark. But I am still astonished about my boldness to start with that seriously. @ChickenHawk ‘s thread is helping a lot with motivation regarding writing! Thank you so much!

In May this year I discovered TMF and since June I am studying this forum‘s threads. Also I am currently reading Unscripted . Thank you @MJ DeMarco for your precious work! I told my husband, that for Christmas I only wish an INSIDERS subscription, so waiting for his present :smile:.

My current problem is: I should work faster and more efficient and often I am angry with myself for my slow progress. Adapting to my completely new situation takes time and patience and I have to remind myself of that every time I feel bad about my performance. Anyway I see constant improvement in my focus and motivation, so I am optimistic. I use a kaizen-list, that has the heading: "pain of discipline or pain of regret" (from Unscripted /Rohn), to remind myself of my choice.

I wish you all (and me :smile2: ) success!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Welcome!

I'm a chemist that turned school teacher that turned back to a chemist that currently codes websites.

I wouldn't be upset with your 'slow' progress, because its progress regardless. Its all about mindset, if there was work done, work was done!

Good Luck!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the introduction and welcome to the forum.

slow progress

"slow progress" is better than "no progress" -- don't beat yourself up too much and enjoy the ride.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
My current problem is: I should work faster and more efficient and often I am angry with myself for my slow progress. Adapting to my completely new situation takes time and patience and I have to remind myself of that every time I feel bad about my performance. Anyway I see constant improvement in my focus and motivation, so I am optimistic. I use a kaizen-list, that has the heading: "pain of discipline or pain of regret" (from Unscripted /Rohn), to remind myself of my choice.

You are using Kaizen” methods haha when you are ultimately “LEAN”

Fellow quality guy here and your expertise in automotive I hope wasn’t as bad as it seems.

Adapting is frustrating and takes time but is well worth it. Weeds out the excess and allows you to grow. Keep your choices concise and execute; you will be fine. You already have the academic credentials (so patience was essential for that) now time to just mirror that practically by failing and failing wel.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I wish you all (and me :smile2: ) success!
Hang in there. Forgive yourself. You'll get there -- IF you don't fall over your own feet! Progress and learning curves take time and good sense of humor, rather than forcing yourself. Just set aside the time and go through the motions until you began to get a feel for the new information and the joy that comes with learning a new skill set. I too am an old woman, who is learning new things and skill sets. At first I was resistant and rejected the whole idea of putting out that much effort. I didn't want to be bothered by going through that long learning process. After all, I could have just hired some young buck to do it all for me! But, watching is not the same as doing...

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Welcome!

I'm a chemist that turned school teacher that turned back to a chemist that currently codes websites.

I wouldn't be upset with your 'slow' progress, because its progress regardless. Its all about mindset, if there was work done, work was done!

Good Luck!

Hi Jpanarra!
Thank you very much for your welcome! Interesting how similar our carreers are :smile:! I will check your threads when I am done with replying. You are right, the important thing is moving forward and the more progress I will see the more motivation will come.

Thank you and good luck to you too!

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the introduction and welcome to the forum.

"slow progress" is better than "no progress" -- don't beat yourself up too much and enjoy the ride.

Hello MJ,

Thank you very much for the welcome and for this forum and for all your work! I am happy to be here :smile2:

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You are using Kaizen” methods haha when you are ultimately “LEAN”

Fellow quality guy here and your expertise in automotive I hope wasn’t as bad as it seems.

Adapting is frustrating and takes time but is well worth it. Weeds out the excess and allows you to grow. Keep your choices concise and execute; you will be fine. You already have the academic credentials (so patience was essential for that) now time to just mirror that practically by failing and failing wel.

Hi Arun Siva!
Thank you for your encouragement! Sorry, I didn't get the joke about "LEAN" :happy:.
About automotive industry: I guess I had bad luck. I was in a group with bosses that loved to put psychological pressure, and there were so many of them! A whole chain of bosses, or rather a tree with branches of bosses. After two years of hell I changed to a different company. Anyway, its over! It was just a shocking experience after the nice atmosphere at the university.

Keep your choices concise and execute; you will be fine.
Thank you! I will do that :smile::praise:

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hang in there. Forgive yourself. You'll get there -- IF you don't fall over your own feet! Progress and learning curves take time and good sense of humor, rather than forcing yourself. Just set aside the time and go through the motions until you began to get a feel for the new information and the joy that comes with learning a new skill set. I too am an old woman, who is learning new things and skill sets. At first I was resistant and rejected the whole idea of putting out that much effort. I didn't want to be bothered by going through that long learning process. After all, I could have just hired some young buck to do it all for me! But, watching is not the same as doing...

Hi WJK!
Thank you for your nice words! :smile2: I agree with everything you said and I feel much better about my progress now after all the nice encouraging replies here. I wish you good luck and persistence :smile:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...