The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Masters in engineering vs management

Mr.Robot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 22, 2017
Leb
hello everyone,
I am having a dilemma on whether an engineer should continue his education in masters in the domain of engineering or he should immediately go for a master in management and entrepreneurship

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

D.Davis

Ingeninja
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 8, 2017
Texas
You're going to get a lot of different answers on this because different people will have different perspectives. I will give you mine from experience:

You cant go wrong with the M.E because this is a very rigorous program that will challenge you, deepen your problem-solving aptitude, and enable you to hone your skills through research and application of whatever discipline of Science/Mathematics that you choose. This personally inspired me to dig deeper into my innovative methods and bridge the gap between imagination and reality in my prototypes.

I have a long way to go into the study of Entrepreneurship, but (in my honest opinion) going to College for it is a waste of time. There is plenty of good literature and mentorships that are much cheaper than a college tuition in this area. Fail early, not after you've dished out 30k on an education that you can pick up through Youtube, Books, Fastlane Forums, a couple of free SCORE mentors, and action.

As far as Management, I've always personally disagreed about going to College for it because I picked up my Leadership style through a long stint in the Marines. Some will disagree here.

Also, if you're going into debt by pursuing your Masters, dont waste your time. Use that 30k + for Marketing and Research.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
You're going to get a lot of different answers on this because different people will have different perspectives. I will give you mine from experience:

You cant go wrong with the M.E because this is a very rigorous program that will challenge you, deepen your problem-solving aptitude, and enable you to hone your skills through research and application of whatever discipline of Science/Mathematics that you choose. This personally inspired me to dig deeper into my innovative methods and bridge the gap between imagination and reality in my prototypes.

I have a long way to go into the study of Entrepreneurship, but (in my honest opinion) going to College for it is a waste of time. There is plenty of good literature and mentorships that are much cheaper than a college tuition in this area. Fail early, not after you've dished out 30k on an education that you can pick up through Youtube, Books, Fastlane Forums, a couple of free SCORE mentors, and action.

As far as Management, I've always personally disagreed about going to College for it because I picked up my Leadership style through a long stint in the Marines. Some will disagree here.

Also, if you're going into debt by pursuing your Masters, dont waste your time. Use that 30k + for Marketing and Research.
I feel a degree in both fields should suffice. Work experience is a better leverage than a Masters.
A few internships would be a better fit.

And on leadership, I myself picked up a few hints on it from my old days at high school in band and in uniform groups. Leaderships is never best taught or learned by reading books. It's something you do, and ultimately live. At some point, it becomes a part of you and you don't need to consciously think up theories or whatever to support X decision or whatever...it becomes almost automatic.

Mr.Robot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 22, 2017
Leb
What do you want to be doing in 5-10 years?

Well, that question is the reason why I asked mine in the first place.
Personally, my goal is to contribute to the innovation and the development of the world because I know I have the potential for it. So far I have acquired great leadership skills and I am great in teamwork (I can tell that from my teammates who counted on me in numerous team projects) but at the same time I like to dig into the engineering of things and I'm really good at it.
And I’ve realized that the courses that relate to robotics and control do intrigue me, and I don’t want to be wasting any of my skills but I really want to know on what to focus.
I think where I want to be in the upcoming years is in a good company and leading a team that would be working on a great project but yet at the same time being able to understand the engineering behind the project or maybe having my own company one day (that is too cliché I know but I do have a creative mind and good idea)
but yet what makes me so anxious about my career is that I am afraid that I won't get the opportunity to be where I want to be, because couple a days ago I had a major set back I didn't get accepted to a great university where I could have finished my engineering degree and it would have opened up great opportunities due to the reputation of the school. and i was working hard for it and I am a hard working person (I am in the top 5 of my class). however my resilience is currently pay in of as it is pushing me to get back on my feet and work even harder but my main interest now is to put things into perspective so I can focus on one thing and work hard for it
now I know many of you have different opinions on this subject but I would really like to hear them out, take your advice and gain from your experiences.

thank you all.

Mr.Robot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 22, 2017
Leb

Also, if you're going into debt by pursuing your Masters, don't waste your time. Use that 30k + for Marketing and Research.

college tuition is really something to look at because to me it's like an investment. but I think the money you pay for in management or entrepreneur degree is mainly not for learning but it is like a passport to land a great job or to get promoted or that even a company would consider reading your cv. I come from a university in Lebanon so I don't think I have a big advantage so to me a master is more of the way to create job opportunities.
and yes you may tell me that someone who is really good will have the chance to prove himself a way or another, but let's face it and doest happen while your sitting down.
and if it comes to me, I would love not to do any master but only if I get the chance to prove my leadership skills ( i have good ones :p).
and speaking of failure i think that really brought me here because as I said it I just got turned down by a great school in france where I had good chances of getting accepted but I guess I made a mistake along the road that got them to turn me down, and know I m kind of in retaliating mode where I really wanna achieve my dream and get things working. and now I'm trying to put together a new plan form my career and I'm looking forward to listening to you and profit from your experience.

thank you all.

Mr.Robot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 22, 2017
Leb
I feel a degree in both fields should suffice. Work experience is a better leverage than a Masters.
A few internships would be a better fit.

And on leadership, I myself picked up a few hints on it from my old days at high school in band and in uniform groups. Leaderships is never best taught or learned by reading books. It's something you do, and ultimately live. At some point, it becomes a part of you and you don't need to consciously think up theories or whatever to support X decision or whatever...it becomes almost automatic.

the major thing is the opportunities that I'm afraid I won't have, and yes I know sometimes a master in management may not teach you something new, but unfortunately, it's great to put it on your cv.
and the main reason I'm looking for masters is simply to get the opportunities because in our country we have very few chances where we can land a great job and I have done internships in the best companies in the country and it still feels like that doesn't get close to my ambitions. and I also have the chance to go in consulting mainly Booz Allen Hamilton I could get a good salary but yet I don't wanna go for it just for the money.
and if I can continue my education in another school abroad but less important than the other one you think I should go for it?

Thank you all.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
You are asking tough questions. I ask myself tough questions everyday as well.

Should I add sprinkles on my Ice cream waffle cone? Yes, today I finally try sprinkles on my ice cream waffle cone.

GnkDMPF.gif

Mr.Robot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 22, 2017
Leb

Should I add sprinkles on my Ice cream waffle cone? Yes, today I finally try sprinkles on my ice cream waffle cone.

GnkDMPF.gif

that's powerful, man and it kind of makes sense! but from what I know I m not missing a chance to add those sprinkles!

NateTheGreat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 25, 2016
It honestly depends on the type of engineering. After reading your posts, it seems like you're in the mechanical/electrical realm. As I am a Master's student in Industrial Engineering myself, I can assure you that a Master's degree will be helpful. If you are able to obtain a graduate tuition waiver, that will be your best avenue. Many professors offer free tuition as long as you will complete a thesis or perform research under them. This can be a great way to obtain a free Master's degree in the engineering realm.

I struggled with deciding between an MBA/entrepreneurship/management Master's or an Engineering Master's after getting my Bachelors. A Master's degree can open a lot of doors for you because you are more close with your professors and they have connections even outside of the academic world. You will be exposed to a lot more opportunities while you are there which could also help you start a new business or continue your career at a company.

In short, a Master's degree in either Engineering or MBA/entrepreneurship/management will give you more opportunity. An Engineering Masters will give you more technical background and broaden your horizons for potential job opportunities. An MBA/entrepreneurship/management master's will also give you new job opportunities minus the technical background. It depends if you'd like to move more towards management and managing people, or dive more-so into the design and technical side of things. It also depends on the company you'd like to work for. Good luck

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I use the skills obtained as a landscaper at the age of 18 more than math in my business. I have never once used calculus to solve a problem outside of school. Coming to a forum of budding business people and asking about education may not get you the answer you are looking for.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

GnkDMPF.gif
I prefer my ice cream plain. No add-ons.
I like the plain and clear taste of unadulterated ice cream:playful:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Asking this question here is really a primer into getting not very good feedback for your personal situation.

Here's why:

Most people here will comment from their perspective from their country and from their economic and entrepreneurial outlook.

You are from Lebanon.

Different economy.
Different school system.
Different culture.
Different entrepreneurial environment.
Different everything!

Asking me in the states, in Arizona, in the Sonoran Desert is like me asking someone in Scotland their opinion on landscape techniques in arid conditions.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I’m not really qualified to steer you in a direction, I only have a GED. But I do know that Eningeering is a job, performed by an Engineer that typically works for an Entrepreneur. An Entrepreneur manages people, including Engineers.

Let that sink in a little while before you decide, if your end goal is to be an owner and not owned.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
hello everyone,
I am having a dilemma on whether an engineer should continue his education in masters in the domain of engineering or he should immediately go for a master in management and entrepreneurship
I would go ahead with the engineering degree. The management & entrepreneurship education is best done as a personal learning quest, that includes a lot of hands on experiences. I have a LOT of formal (multiple college degrees and thousands of hours of professional training), and 41 years of being a self employed entrepreneur as the basis of my opinion.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Given that you are from overseas and Lebanon, the ultimate question is where do you want to LIVE and settle down? Do you want to come to USA? Then you are on the path... depending on the immigration cuts made by govt, you may need to take masters in management or something do some SAP modules to get in to the usa quicker and efficiently.... If you’d rather stay in Lebanon, then focus on what type of business you can start up and scale in your home land. Lubnan is a beautiful country that has a lot to offer to the rest of the world i am sure. I know Beirut is slowly coming back on the rise.... See if there is something that the good people in your country need and then fill that need somehow.. this forum can help you only if you allow it.

TKRR

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 27, 2017
Ohio
My 2 cents.

I'm an electrical engineer and act as a lead and project manager. I often lead both msee and bsee with mbas. Those degrees in my field have very little value imo. Technically I don't see any improvement with the MSEE people and taking classes doesn't make someone good at business or management. For that matter neither does time of service (by itself).

If you want to be an entrepreneur, even in a tech field, just do it. That is what I'm working on putting together right now. By the way, the CEO at my current 100 plus million dollar a year company only has his BSEE and all the presidents and directors only have their bachelors.

I'm in automation.

Worth considering.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
My 2 cents.

I'm an electrical engineer and act as a lead and project manager. I often lead both msee and bsee with mbas. Those degrees in my field have very little value imo. Technically I don't see any improvement with the MSEE people and taking classes doesn't make someone good at business or management. For that matter neither does time of service (by itself).

If you want to be an entrepreneur, even in a tech field, just do it. That is what I'm working on putting together right now. By the way, the CEO at my current 100 plus million dollar a year company only has his BSEE and all the presidents and directors only have their bachelors.

I'm in automation.

Worth considering.
Yes, that was what I noticed too.
But well...word around town these days in my country is that Masters are the latest craze.

I suppose employees have their attribution biases these days...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.