The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$100k 2017

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Don't really like the idea of factory jobs. Have done it before and it's a very negative environment to be in, which is what I'm escaping ATM being a labourer in construction. Being verbally abused constantly is mentally draining. Lol, the sad desperation of a paycheque....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I think the next best thing will be a job in food service, if I can eat at work for free an save money on food and dump 100% of my money from work into my "buisness" that would be the most efficient strategy I believe. Ah having the butterflies!
I've worked in food service. I never got free food. I got like a 10% discount...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hm, usually your supposed to get a free meal here and there. Maybe your company was just to cheap! Lol
I've worked in food service. I never got free food. I got like a 10% discount...

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
will be pulling the trigger on importing products within the next couple of months, this will be a big step for me. wont be updating the thread for a while as all i need to do is work on researching etc (the boring parts) so dont think ive disappeared in the script! unless ive been eaten by a bear in the woods...

I don't plan on taking this route until a later time, but there's plenty of threads here around this concept. Keep researching, getting contants, Vietnam I hear is a good source these days more so than China.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I don't plan on taking this route until a later time, but there's plenty of threads here around this concept. Keep researching, getting contants, Vietnam I hear is a good source these days more so than China.
Interesting, I've never heard about Vietnam much in regards to production although am fairly uneducated on the import production game. Seen a nice thread around here about importing and also biophase seems like a good person to stalk on the forum aswell a ptp!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Oddly enough mr Trudeau is in Vietnam for some business, remembered you posted about Vietnam. Maybe some new doors will be opening.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Just saw it's my 1 year anniversary of the forum! Holy...... Lots of time pissed away slaving in poverty for low paying jobs, now being more confident and heading into the right direction for 2018, I have a strong belief as long as (WE) focus on escaping the rat race and bringing joy into the lives of others, it will return back to us. At first joining the forum , my big secret idea was to open up gaming cafés and launch a haunted house. Time went on and my focus changed onto other things. Now having closd an online sale I'm confident I can repeat history as long as the right product is being sold. The focus will be the pet industry and 2018 is the year of my semi retirement. I cannot wake up at 7am anymore for 5 days a week. I cannot take a bus to work anymore. I cannot ride a train around the city anymore. I cannot stand to be bullied at work and be treated like an actual slave. I cannot sell my soul for much longer. My physical health is declining and I feel my sanity slipping away. I've put in my time and have cash saved up To be fired away for building my business, which will produce freedom for me as long as I provide for the world first. No one deserves anything at all, it is to be earned. Looking forward to the upcoming year, rough calculations of 2018 expenses are around $25k, hitting this magical number is literally freedom, to sleep in Monday to Sunday granting me the ability to sit around all day picking my nose if I so desire. When I first joined the forum MJ asked me a question, why am I joining the forum? I said to buy an aventador in cash. Looking back at that comment with the knowledge I've absorbed on this forum and reading both books I realize how ignorant and moronic such a comment is that is based on selfish desires which is the opposite of entrepreneurship. My motives have changed to leave a positive impact in the world before I fully check out and have an eternal nap, well and have a better life aswell! ( not all of the selfish desires went away! ) To the people posting in the thread so far thank you for sticking along and giving input to a bonehead like me! 2018 is the year I am no longer financially dependent on a job, the plan is by quarter 2 of the year at the latest.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Do you have a more specific goal other than "be free by Q2 2018"? Why not write down a rough outline of HOW you're going to accomplish that? A timeline, so to speak.
That is a good idea, I'll put up a detailed plan after some thought and when I get another computer, spilled water on my new one and it died. Do have a rough idea although my problems in the past that everyone can learn from is lack of proper planning. For instance my landscaping business I didn't have targets and goals, just went out and did cold Acq + recurring customers, stupidity on my part . Chicken with its head cutoff as someone in the thread mentioned earlier. Also may have a place lined up, dec 1st I should have my own room in calgary,

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Promise to post my plans later! Meanwhile I've just collected a couple of paycheques from my legal slavery job ( both 4 figures still not cashed) and closed my second official sale a few minutes ago, entrenpeneural heroin is an amazing drug, with long lasting side effects of happiness and freedom. Wailing around bad bath and beyond looking around placing myself in the position of a consumer. Cool to check out what attracts my eye and learn from the best. Have a good night fastlaners. 2018 is the year. No more slavery for sparechange. Progress is slow and unfocused.

Last edited:

Grahamj

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Sep 9, 2012
2018 is still 6 weeks away... while you're cruising through 2017 looking forward to next year, your future competition is working on 2018 now. I recently started on a new project and it's amazing how much you can accomplish when you change from one year at a time to one day.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
2018 Retirement Plan

aye! this is just a rough outlook. things planned never go as planned! lets start out with my expenses for 2018

# my rent should be anywhere from $600-$800 for a single bachelor room
# food expenses i guess? would be around $300 at most

so assuming $800 for rent and $300 for food, my 2018 expenses just to exist in basic comfort and not goto a job is a grand total of ...

$13.200

that means i can pursue my PASSION of sitting around and doing nothing all day & pick my nose for 365 days, a full calendar year of not going to work, hitting an alarm clock trading 160 hours of my life every month to come up with basic living necessities, before I am fully bankrupt and starving! (lol please dont think i will do this) but nose picking.. yes i will continue to purse that passion.

on this forum to some people a measly 5 figures seem like a laughable amount, and i guess it is, but! its a year of freedom for me!

so how can we have this magical number? product or services exchanged for value vouchers. now i dont have any hard real numbers, for simplicity sake, we need around 500 - 2000 customers, not taking into account re targeting customers, up selling, down selling blappity blap blap blah. we'll just assume $10 profit on an item we sell.

how many sales for $13.2k at $10 ? 1,320!

now ill be having varying priced products so its not possible to calculate the exact amount of sales required although i think its safe to assume our customer base will need to be only 1-2k

in the world of online sales this is a low number. combined with having a physical presence in the real world id say its very achievable.

How will we get there?

# I will be building a pet brand with my focus on various products
# Have product ideas in mind
# Sell a xxxx amount of product via online sites / real world / referrals etc (this will need to be re tuned in terms of strategy and exactly how i go about it.
# saving money from a job > reinvesting into my brand

some problems i could anticipate are struggling with marketing, still find it hard to build a following online, to fix this.. a few hours away from me is Edmonton mall, its the 10th largest mall in the world afaik? so market place approval or denial can take place there, shoppers at the mall are partaking in the value competition talent show! armed with money the winner of a value competition talent show receives value vouchers!

also since ill be relocating to calgary, ive recently checked the weather there and they'll be receiving some snow on sunday, if you recall at the start of my thread i had a small snow shoveling gig, weather permitted.. i dont see why i cant do it all over again and scale it even better to make a bit of side cash. hey its a good workout to!

one more thing, even if i fail the goal of $10k+ ill consider it a victory if my financial situation improves significantly with sales etc, the most important thing is detaching my time trade for basic living necessities i need my time for building my own dreams, not someone elses. understand it might not be a while before i get there, although even if half of my life is earned that is a small success.

sales targets will have to be put in place with deadlines

well thats the rough plan...please comment and share your thoughts and opinions, if you've read this far thank you for your time. will adjust as time goes on...

to close, today i sold my lawnmower and the buyer was a 15 year old entrepreneur! was amazing to see, after i learned he will be doing the exact same thing i did, i gave him as much information as possible quickly and gave him some of my clients addresses/phone numbers.

oh! youve most likely thought about full retirement the whole time! the goal is semi retirement, as in being not financially dependent on a job to feed or shelter myself

woops almost forgot the timeline.

# november slaving my job saving up money (have a few grand only now)
# dec get settled in calgary * order in samples / product *
# dec/january start selling
# feb scale further
# march repeat
# april repeat & have multiple months of living expenses saved up (from working a job/business)

May 2018: Celebrate my freedom

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Another lovely week of working in the rain ahead, the final paycheque soon, looking forward to seeing snow and sunshine. Still don't have a job or room lined up which makes things exciting. Grab the popcorn boys and girls.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
What are your regrets in life? Did you waste it playing safe? Have you experienced life at its fullest? If you watched a movie of your life right now what would you think, would you be happy or sad? Picture I took a few months ago after a long boarding session with a friend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 24

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
.... why are you talking about 2018 when it's only Nov 19?

Why aren't you hitting the end of the year hard to at least get somewhere?

And also, why would you lower your goal? Was the first goal not good enough?

I'll give you one thing: you've shown tenacity by posting in this thread consistently. I truly hope you turn into a great success story.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
The remainder of my year is going to be about slaving the last bit away at my job that I'm quitting and finding one to replace it as I'll be moving to a different city and sourcing overseas, never ordered from china and will be teaching myself the process. For the goal I'll still go for the 100k , as I think it's possible, 8 more months after April! We will make this a success story with time. Nothing is overnight and my dues are nearly paid in full.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Been procrastinating it for a while / haven't found a good deal although just picked up an iPhone 5s so I can use instagram, have an account launched now. Saw some good information on this forum about growing an account, also considering to reach out to influencers to promote products in the near future.​

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Got a few followers although they are other pet themed pages, hm.. One thing I've noticed is there is a kajillion billion different pages. What will make me different?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Lots of businesses are following my page, ha...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Well it’s possible maybe to monetize Instagram by having my products sold on other pages and give commissions etc. Don’t know what I’ll do but will keep building the account, see where it takes me, also could advertise on mine. Only have a couple people following then a bunch of buisness accounts

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Got real potential customers on insta from my fb (I actually know that these are real people and not bots) the key here will be building a customer experience ( lululemon , Starbucks ) and bringing joy to the lives of others

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Ahhhhhhhhhh I cant find a room in Calgary! Really wanna just get the helll outta here

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
May close a third sale today after work.. =). Going into 2018 strong and ready to conquer the world. Instagram growing a bit to which is nice. One way ticket to retirementville.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You think you can order samples in December and start selling by January?

I’m going to ask you what your pet product is. Personally I think you would be safe mentioning it because it’s not about the product. It’s execution. I can tell you instantly if you would be successful in it.

To give you background, I’m in the pet industry and sell everything from dog leashes, collars and harnesses to dog beds, supplements and toys. Even starting to get into dog food and treats now.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
You think you can order samples in December and start selling by January?

I’m going to ask you what your pet product is. Personally I think you would be safe mentioning it because it’s not about the product. It’s execution. I can tell you instantly if you would be successful in it.

To give you background, I’m in the pet industry and sell everything from dog leashes, collars and harnesses to dog beds, supplements and toys. Even starting to get into dog food and treats now.
Never ordered overseas before but think it’s a realistic timeline for December / January, for products, I’m thinking car seat covers, beds (dog/cat) and custom designed leashes. Considering toys as a customer acquisition tool/give away as wholesale prices are less than $5 (alibaba) this will be my first retail buisness. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, curious to hear your opinion!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Have a $500 room locked up and roommate is a ski/snowboarder. Holy shit balls. Everything is going my way right now. #conqeur 2018.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Getting closer to firing off shots into the import game.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Attachments

• DBB184FB-DCFC-4473-B7D6-2A351E777840.jpeg
    DBB184FB-DCFC-4473-B7D6-2A351E777840.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 10

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Rent will be about $3k - $3.5k for 6 or 7 months. A good month and I can pursue my nose picking dreams and not waking up to an alarm clock. Will visit Vancouver in the summer as I still need to board a few hills round here. I’ll be posting a lot of money stuff (cash flow) just like losing or gaining weight you need to look at the calories put in / burned off

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Never ordered overseas before but think it’s a realistic timeline for December / January, for products, I’m thinking car seat covers, beds (dog/cat) and custom designed leashes. Considering toys as a customer acquisition tool/give away as wholesale prices are less than $5 (alibaba) this will be my first retail buisness. Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, curious to hear your opinion!

Ok, so car seat covers... I sell those too. Have you done your numbers on those? What price are you selling at? What is going to make yours different than the others?

Beds? what's your selling price on them? Even the $20 beds are huge to ship.

Toys at $5? You need to be at $1.5-$2 a toy max. I can't imagine what toys you are buying at $5?

I'd love to see what your estimated pricing is on these. Because I don't see alot of profit in there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.