The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does the Insiders look like?

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
I currently do not have a subscription due to lack of funds, but I do plan on joining once I get my hustle on in the coming months. Basically I just want to know what to expect once I join. I heard MJ mention once in a podcast about his option trading strategy I am very interested in that and also building a money system.
& Thanks ahead of time for everyone thats replied.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I currently do not have a subscription due to lack of funds

I heard MJ mention once in a podcast about his option trading strategy I am very interested in that

IMO, that thread is worth millions if someone is willing to spend some time in it. Unfortunately, if you don't have much money to work with, it is hard to implement. It can be attempted with $10K minimum, but $100K is more advisable.

So if you have "no funds", that thread will only be eye-opening and educational.

There’s more action and less stupid questions on the inside.

At least we try.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I currently do not have a subscription due to lack of funds

Isn't it $20-30 for 3 months?

Surely you could find $20-30 if you wanted to.

I don't claim to know your situation of course but I'm just pointing out that it's hard to believe someone who sees the value in the subscription couldn't scrounge up the money for it.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Challenge: create enough value / bootstrap / hustle to get enough money to pay for your first year subscription. get it done in the next two weeks.

show some initiative instead of excuses and my guess is you may just get a sponsor for your second year....

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
I don't claim to know your situation of course but I'm just pointing out that it's hard to believe someone who sees the value in the subscription couldn't scrounge up the money for it.
I'll tell you a little bit about myself I am a 21 year old kid who dropped out of college & is staying with my grandparents I have a father who sees me every other week and gives me a 20 every time he sees me.

Challenge: create enough value / bootstrap / hustle to get enough money to pay for your first year subscription. get it done in the next two weeks.
Ive been using the money my dad gives me every now and then & buying things at the local dollar store & selling it on ebay for a decent profit right now my ebay has a sellers limit of only letting me sell 5 items a month. I plan on becoming an INSIDERS as soon as I can afford the 1 year subscription.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I'll tell you a little bit about myself I am a 21 year old kid who dropped out of college & is staying with my grandparents I have a father who sees me every other week and gives me a 20 every time he sees me.

Ive been using the money my dad gives me every now and then & buying things at the local dollar store & selling it on ebay for a decent profit right now my ebay has a sellers limit of only letting me sell 5 items a month. I plan on becoming an INSIDERS as soon as I can afford the 1 year subscription.

You need a job my friend.

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
You need a job my friend.
Need is such a strong word. I know the ebay thing is about to blow up once I can afford to buy other things (Like importing from china) than the dollar store item plus my sellers limit is soon to be 10 items.

Do you mind me asking what do you do?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Need is such a strong word. I know the ebay thing is about to blow up once I can afford to buy other things (Like importing from china) than the dollar store item plus my sellers limit is soon to be 10 items.

First, do you mind my asking have you ever had a job?

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
First, do you mind my asking have you ever had a job?
No not at all growing up my grandpa owned a fencing company & I used to help him build fences until he got sick. That's the only "job" i think I ever had

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
Okay, your 21 no job and no money, just wtf exactly do you do?

He has an eBay business... haven't you been following this thread? Here's his formula:

1. Gets $40/mo from Dad
2. Buys 5 items a month from the Dollar Store with the money
3. Resells items on eBay
4. Profit

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I get that someone your age feels "above" having a job but it's simply not the case.

The fact is, you can't afford $30 and are justifying your unemployment through unproven and lofty future business expectations.

You say you sell things on ebay for "good profits" but can't sell more than 5 items per month?

Come on man.

You could get a job at McDonalds TODAY almost anywhere in the world and be making minimum wage. Call it $7.25 an hour. Work full time (or get a second fast food job to make it full time hours). That's $58 a day, $290 per week, $1,160 per month.

Until you have a history of profiting more than $1,160 per month doing anything (ebay, whatever), you should probably consider just getting a damn job.

How much could you import for $1,160 per month?
How much faster could you increase your seller limits with that cash?
How many different things could you try and fail with that cash?

By all accounts you are doing things the hard way by being stubborn about work.

A wealthy mindset doesn't include being stubborn about having a job. A wealthy mindset is about making the best out of the situation you have. Whether that's working one job, two jobs, three jobs, hustling your a$$ off, flipping things on the classified ads, hauling scrap to the scrap yard, starting your own door to door lawn care company - whatever.

You hustle to bring in the cash needed to start your mini empire.
A wealthy mindset isn't arguing the semantics of whether someone with no money "needs" a job.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA

I work a job. I’ve been doing some local lead gen via AdWords for some supplemental income to fund my next business.

The need I will be fulfilling in my next business I discovered working at my job. If not for that job I wouldn’t have come up with the idea in a million years.

The sweetest bit is that I realistically expect this to be my first moderately successful business. All thanks to a job.

You need a job.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
He has an eBay business... haven't you been following this thread? Here's his formula:

1. Gets $40/mo from Dad
2. Buys 5 items a month from the Dollar Store with the money
3. Resells items on eBay
4. Profit

Silly me, his business model went right over my old gray head. I must have had a senior moment.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Do you receive government assistance? Are my tax dollars paying for you to say things like “need is such a strong word”?

If not that, then you’re what, leeching off your grandma? Taking advantage of an old lady?

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
I get that someone your age feels "above" having a job but it's simply not the case.

The fact is, you can't afford $30 and are justifying your unemployment through unproven and lofty future business expectations.

You say you sell things on ebay for "good profits" but can't sell more than 5 items per month?

Come on man.

You could get a job at McDonalds TODAY almost anywhere in the world and be making minimum wage. Call it $7.25 an hour. Work full time (or get a second fast food job to make it full time hours). That's $58 a day, $290 per week, $1,160 per month.

Until you have a history of profiting more than $1,160 per month doing anything (ebay, whatever), you should probably consider just getting a damn job.

How much could you import for $1,160 per month?
How much faster could you increase your seller limits with that cash?
How many different things could you try and fail with that cash?

By all accounts you are doing things the hard way by being stubborn about work.

A wealthy mindset doesn't include being stubborn about having a job. A wealthy mindset is about making the best out of the situation you have. Whether that's working one job, two jobs, three jobs, hustling your a$$ off, flipping things on the classified ads, hauling scrap to the scrap yard, starting your own door to door lawn care company - whatever.

You hustle to bring in the cash needed to start your mini empire.
A wealthy mindset isn't arguing the semantics of whether someone with no money "needs" a job.
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to write this. I never really looked at it that way. The way I see it is if I had a job it would take away from my routine I have basically what I do is
  1. 5:30 AM-7:00 AM: Wake up go to the rest room do what I gotta do. Read for about an hour.
  2. 7:00 AM-11:00 AM: Researching products to import while looking for the dollar store equivalent of that product while listening to podcast usually Joe Rogan.
  3. 11:00 AM- 1:00 PM: Do my little workout routine after workout I have my 1st meal Im currently doing an IF(Intermittent Fasting) routine
  4. 2:00 PM-4:00 PM Do some house/yard work. After might eat again
  5. 5:00 PM-9:00 PM I'm reading its usually the same books over & over again dont want to get influenced too much from other books. This is due to change once I start having real "problems" I'll have to start reading books about those problems.
  6. They its time to catch some
I didn't mention TV in there because I only limit that to Saturdays & only watch like 30 mins any Dragon Ball Super Fans out there.
Also I feel like if I get a job I might grow content with the $1160 a month. & might not want to leave. I wish I could put into words how bad I want that "Passive Income" system MJ talks about in Unscripted . Ive been reading this book by this guy named Scott Adams he talks about what are you willing to pay to get what you want. I don't have a social life, I don't drink, do drugs like a lot of my peers & I'm fine with that because I know its going pay off in the long run.
Sorry for this "rant" man thanks again for the advice

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I plan on becoming an INSIDERS as soon as I can afford the 1 year subscription.

Don't think an INSIDERS subscription will help you at this stage of your life.

1) Get a job.
2) Learn how to save and invest money.
3) Get off welfare, whether it be government or grandpa.
4) Continue your entrepreneurial dreams, not just with eBay and importing, but overall. (Congrats on doing this already.)
5) When you encounter obstacles and challenges with your business progress and growth, then consider joining.

Also I feel like if I get a job I might grow content with the $1160 a month.

The job is there to pay your bills and give you some options in growing your business. Some jobs also expose you to opportunity. If $1160/mo turns into a new toy, then you don't want it bad enough and entrepreneurship is really viewed as a lottery ticket.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thank you papi016 for at least considering what we've had to say.

Believe me when I say it's rare to hear that in threads like these.

Also I feel like if I get a job I might grow content with the $1160 a month.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is the thought process of a child who has yet to start their adult life.
If you want to do just about anything in life, you'll need more than this.
The only way to become content with $1k per month is if you never move out and never pay your own bills.

Besides, as MJ said, your job should provide the necessary income to fuel your goals.
If your goals are wealth, your own business, etc... then use your job to fuel your business.

A job is an infinitely renewable source of "burn" money in your situation. And by "burn" I mean you can throw 100% of that cash towards testing things out, bringing in inventory, testing business models, etc... and every month you get it again to play with.

Throw $1,000 towards ads, and if it doesn't work, throw another $1,000 next month.
Bring in $1,000 worth of widgets, try to sell them, try again next month.
Once something starts working, throw the money towards scaling it - more ads, more products, more tests.

A job is an accelerator. Particularly useful for the young who haven't left the nest yet - you have no rent. No food bill. No car. No expenses. A job for you means more entrepreneurial flexibility than most adults get.

Consider it.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to write this. I never really looked at it that way. The way I see it is if I had a job it would take away from my routine I have basically what I do is
  1. 5:30 AM-7:00 AM: Wake up go to the rest room do what I gotta do. Read for about an hour.
  2. 7:00 AM-11:00 AM: Researching products to import while looking for the dollar store equivalent of that product while listening to podcast usually Joe Rogan.
  3. 11:00 AM- 1:00 PM: Do my little workout routine after workout I have my 1st meal Im currently doing an IF(Intermittent Fasting) routine
  4. 2:00 PM-4:00 PM Do some house/yard work. After might eat again
  5. 5:00 PM-9:00 PM I'm reading its usually the same books over & over again dont want to get influenced too much from other books. This is due to change once I start having real "problems" I'll have to start reading books about those problems.
  6. They its time to catch some
I didn't mention TV in there because I only limit that to Saturdays & only watch like 30 mins any Dragon Ball Super Fans out there.
Also I feel like if I get a job I might grow content with the $1160 a month. & might not want to leave. I wish I could put into words how bad I want that "Passive Income" system MJ talks about in Unscripted . Ive been reading this book by this guy named Scott Adams he talks about what are you willing to pay to get what you want. I don't have a social life, I don't drink, do drugs like a lot of my peers & I'm fine with that because I know its going pay off in the long run.
Sorry for this "rant" man thanks again for the advice
@MJ DeMarco nailed every point.

I just want to add that you are just as complacent now, as you could be earning $1,160 a month.

The flip side?

You could have $1,160 more, per month, than you do now.

Something to think about.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You are in between 3 major universities. Time to start craigslisting. Expand your market and opportunities.
Get to work. Get a part time gig to get out and learn a market and meet people.

Give yourself a time limit on when you will move out and be on your own.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
@papi016

Tell you what.

I need to re-activate my subscription, since it's just recently gone out. I'll buy you a 3 month subscription, too, so you can get a glimpse.

But, first, I need something from you.​

Good news is, it won't cost you anything but time, of which you have more than enough, it seems.

Bad news is, you may have to interrupt your little routine and do something actionable.

I'll give you 24 hours to respond.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
  • 5:30 AM-7:00 AM: Wake up go to the rest room do what I gotta do. Read for about an hour.
  • 7:00 AM-11:00 AM: Researching products to import while looking for the dollar store equivalent of that product while listening to podcast usually Joe Rogan.
  • 11:00 AM- 1:00 PM: Do my little workout routine after workout I have my 1st meal Im currently doing an IF(Intermittent Fasting) routine
  • 2:00 PM-4:00 PM Do some house/yard work. After might eat again
  • 5:00 PM-9:00 PM I'm reading its usually the same books over & over again dont want to get influenced too much from other books. This is due to change once I start having real "problems" I'll have to start reading books about those problems.
  • They its time to catch some
Replace reading books with earning income. You seem to be somewhat productive between 7 am and 4 pm, but you're not really making a ton of progress towards your goals. If I were in your shoes, I would get a job in a restaurant or any job where the hours are in the evening (5 pm to midnight or so). You probably won't love it, but it wouldn't impact your daily routine very much and give you cash to spend on your entrepreneurial efforts i.e. importing or flipping bigger ticket items.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I heard MJ mention once in a podcast about his option trading strategy I am very interested in that and also building a money system.

I wish I could put into words how bad I want that "Passive Income" system MJ talks about in Unscripted .

The INSIDERS's doesn't contain some magical short-cut where you get to skip the hard work part and go directly to a "passive" income money tree. (passive in quotations because there's really no such thing anyway)

A "passive" income system is where the saying "it takes money to make money" actually has a ring of truth to it (it's a bullshit saying in most situations though)

I trade options. Trust MJ when he say's $100k is a more advisable place to start with it. This has been my experience as well, as I started with far less than $100k in my account.

Options trading and other "passive" investments are like stomping the accelerator on your wealth vehicle, but you gotta build the vehicle first!

Also, good work taking the advice here with an open mind and positive attitude. (keep it up!)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The INSIDERS's doesn't contain some magical short-cut where you get to skip the hard work part and go directly to a "passive" income money tree.

+1

Options trading and other "passive" investments are like stomping the accelerator on your wealth vehicle, but you gotta build the vehicle first!

Also, good work taking the advice here with an open mind and positive attitude. (keep it up!)

I think metaphors are the best way to expose short circuits in logic and thought.

Here's one for what you just described.

Q: NFL teams are extremely profitable and it's my dream to own one. Can someone give me the secret to buying a NFL Team?

A: Yes, build a business that makes you a billionaire.

+1

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
+1

I think metaphors are the best way to expose short circuits in logic and thought.

Here's one for what you just described.

Q: NFL teams are extremely profitable and it's my dream to own one. Can someone give me the secret to buying a NFL Team?

A: Yes, build a business that makes you a billionaire.

+1

Q: Amazon best sellers are extremely profitable. Can someone give me the secret to launching one?

A: Yes, write a book full of metaphors.

:D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.