The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How is Johnny Deep worth 200 million? What value does he produce?

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
What value does he produce??

Just came across this piece of information.. He doesn't do anything other than act in a few movies right? I guess (successful)movies are super fastlane?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
He is worth millions because movie studios are willing to pay him millions. Movie studios pay him millions because starring Johnny Depp increases their profit by even more millions.

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
I believe MJ said something along the lines of affect millions and you will make millions in one of his books.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
A-list acting almost keeps all CENTS commandments.

Entry: tough. I mean anyone can say I’m an actor, but getting an A-list role on a feature film is hard.

Need: duh

Scale: make one movie; “print” and sell, rent millions of copies

Time: between auditioning (which Depp doesn’t do), rehearsing, memorizing (which he might not do ;P), shooting, reshooting, promoting the film, etc, it’s busy, but definitely has its downtimes

Control: yikes. You work for hire. Although someone of Depp’s status can have some control, based on contract stipulation. Still, it basically fails this commandment by and large for many reasons. You don’t make the movie, you don’t market it (promoting is a cog in the advertising wheel), you don’t provide customer service for it. And oh yeah, one of the other big names on the project could pull a Weinstein and kill the whole thing before the first sale but after you’ve put all the work in.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I heard recently he was spending $2M a month to fund his lifestyle and had to file bankruptcy as a result.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
... What?

If anything, you should be surprised he is worth just that. Of course, demented divorces and lifestyle are to blame.

D

Deleted50669

One thing people aren't talking about is the much broader distribution network that employs Johnny Depp. Mr. Depp is not directly selling content to audiences, that would be damn near impossible, unless he operated through youtube (which in this day and age, may not be too bad an idea, ask this guy:

A 23-year-old YouTube star just bought a $4.5 million mansion in Hollywood).

Anyhow, Johnny is employed by a production company that has monopolistic control over creative media. In doing so, he is dealt his (relative) pittance for whoring out his emotions and physique to a director for X amount of time. The people really raking it in own the rights to the media - in most cases not the actors. Now, the reason he makes as much as he does, is again the media monopoly held by Hollywood producers. The actor's goal isn't to create content and sell it for millions. The actor's goal is to convince a producer that they can whore themselves out well enough to generate interest for the producer's product. Thus, you have sexual abuse scandals.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
The greater lesson to be learned from this is that no matter how much money you make, if you're stupid with money you will end up broke. Johnny Depp is broke right now, which is likely part of the reason why he stumbled up the red carpet puke drunk at the latest award show.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Congratulations on creating a thread more pointless than a Willy Wonka re-make.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
What value does he produce??

Just came across this piece of information.. He doesn't do anything other than act in a few movies right? I guess (successful)movies are super fastlane?

giphy.gif

Puppy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 21, 2017
new york
Well if you think its that easy and he doesn't deserve it then I'm sure you can do the same damn thing in no time can't you? I'll be waiting to see your first movie and the string of studio successful ones after that lol

Edit - I'm not gonna delete this but I will apologize for sounding snarky.

Last edited:

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Dude Hollywood A-lists, drew crowds especially the ones from yesteryear (before the advent of hulu and youtube). He is a quality actor too as well.

Also, he helped Nicholas cage when cage was gambling and in debt etc, because cage helped johnny when he was in 21 jump street from 90s.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If a movie makes billions of dollars, and he carries the movie with his acting, and his involvement is the prime reason people come to see it, he's producing value

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
People love to immerse themselves in a movie fantasy world in an effort to escape the mundane and frustrating scripted despair that is their life.

Depp provides that.

That's value.

I mean, how much will people spend this Friday (in time and money) to fill their entertainment needs?

D

Deleted50669

People love to immerse themselves in a movie fantasy world in an effort to escape the mundane and frustrating scripted despair that is their life.

Depp provides that.

That's value.

I mean, how much will people spend this Friday (in time and money) to fill their entertainment needs?

In my demographic it’s taboo not to waste money on Friday night.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
There are several methods you can used to understand this.

One is the accounting method of "follow the money".

His movies reach millions of people around the world. People pay to watch those movies in the forms of tickets and licenses etc. Him and the company that made the movie get a share. Simple.

I mean I don't really see the point your making. As if acting and making a movie isn't hard work? It's an incredible amount of work and stress. And as if johnny depp doesn't constantly practice to stay on top of his game. Cause after all he is still competing with other actors who want these roles.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
... What?

If anything, you should be surprised he is worth just that. Of course, demented divorces and lifestyle are to blame.

By 2013, Depp’s expenses had ballooned to $2 million a month, TMG claimed—a burn rate disputed by his new attorney. The Mandels’ cross-complaint describes 14 residences, including the château in France and a four-island chain in the Bahamas. There were also a 156-foot cash-guzzling yacht and 12 Los Angeles storage facilities full of memorabilia, including 70 collectible guitars, plus major artwork by Klimt, Modigliani, and Basquiat, among others. Forty full-time employees cost Depp $300,000 a month, they claimed—although Waldman says there are only 15 employees, some of them consultants. Round-the-clock security for himself, his two children, and various family members costs $150,000 a month more. In addition to the $10 million supporting friends and family, he spent $30,000 a month on wine “flown to him around the world,” the lawsuit alleges, and $5 million for a blowout memorial service for the late gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, including blasting his ashes from a 153-foot custom-built cannon at Thompson’s home in Aspen.

D

Deleted50669

By 2013, Depp’s expenses had ballooned to $2 million a month, TMG claimed—a burn rate disputed by his new attorney. The Mandels’ cross-complaint describes 14 residences, including the château in France and a four-island chain in the Bahamas. There were also a 156-foot cash-guzzling yacht and 12 Los Angeles storage facilities full of memorabilia, including 70 collectible guitars, plus major artwork by Klimt, Modigliani, and Basquiat, among others. Forty full-time employees cost Depp $300,000 a month, they claimed—although Waldman says there are only 15 employees, some of them consultants. Round-the-clock security for himself, his two children, and various family members costs $150,000 a month more. In addition to the $10 million supporting friends and family, he spent $30,000 a month on wine “flown to him around the world,” the lawsuit alleges, and $5 million for a blowout memorial service for the late gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, including blasting his ashes from a 153-foot custom-built cannon at Thompson’s home in Aspen.

That's the most absurd, awesome thing I've read today. And that includes the news.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

$200M at 5% interest is $833,333/mo, so he's very much spending in the red if he's at $2M/month burn. Could be a Sidewalker waiting for guaranteed financial ruin.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
$200M at 5% interest is $833,333/mo, so he's very much spending in the red if he's at $2M/month burn. Could be a Sidewalker waiting for guaranteed financial ruin.

Deff, and that's if hes 200m cash/bonds/stocks or whatever. Im sure they factor in the 14 residences into his 200mill which I would bet have zero cash flow. He doesn't seems like the guy to rent out his houses or yacht, seems to arrogant for that. I bet every month hes eyeing the mailbox waiting on that royalty check. There is zero diffence between him and the guy earning 30k a year living paycheck to paycheck. Jonny's problems just have alot more zeros on the end. It will be interesting to see where he ends up, if he ends up filing for bankruptcy etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.