The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Giving a Job Interview for a Slowlaner Made me Realise...

Anything related to matters of the mind

DeppyJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 19, 2017
Greece
Hello,

My name is Deppy and I am from Greece.

This post is about my experience in an job interview I gave few hours ago.

To introduce myself, I am a civil engineer graduate and chose this major in college because of parent and school pressure as a result of being an A student in school. I never felt it right, my gut told me "NO" but my brain (and environment) told me "YES" so my imature, non-thinking 18-year old self decided to go for it. I wanted to study Marketing but the university was in another city and my parents couldn't financially support me there. I didn't want it badly so I didn't insist and I chose a school close to home.

Fast forward 10 years later, I have never worked as a civil engineering nor have I shown any interest in pursuing this career. In my free time (which is plenty since I don't have a "traditional" kind of job at the moment) I am in Kindle Publishing. I have a good insight but zero official knowledge (I mean degree) in any other aspect of the social media - promoting side of publishing. I am doing all the learning etc myself, through learning platforms and exposure. Investing in the book creation and marketing is essential and when there's no money to invest, a slowlane job is needed. Jobs here is Greece pay averagely 500E/mo and that is the good case, if the job is mainly full time. Most jobs here are part time and they pay about 300E-400E, and if you do jobs like waitressing or sth, the rate is 3E/hour.

I've done several jobs but I don't want to ramble on my difficulties, we all have our own obstacles and our cross to carry. The purpose of this thread is not not to tell you my life story, but because few hours ago I went to a job interview for a civil engineering company. I don't want to be a civil engineer but I figured if I want to make more money than a waitress then I might as well find a job in the field I have a degree on.

I was talking to the head chief in there who is a very kind guy but very old as well, smelling like cigarettes and smoke and as the interview was evolving, the conversation went from me trying to persuade him to employ me, to him trying to persuade me to chase the civil engineering career. He told me I have a distorted image of what civil engineers do and that I am a fool not to want to work as one. According to him and his slowlane mindset, civil engineers make very good money (he mentioned an example of what glorious money is 120E in a day for a permit, which made it hard for me to laugh). In this day and age we live in, this is the perfect job.

In his exact words, he said "not pursuing the civil engineering career that we all want will be the wrongest decision you will ever make and that you will regret it for the rest of your life". He said I need to do this now because in 4 years from now I will be off the market. When he said that I will leave the profession at the age of 67, my stomach knotted. I saw my whole life in front of me and the vision stopped with me being him, a 60 year old grey-haired old person who on a beautiful Saturday morning was working full time.

I posted this thread not because I need advice as I know deep inside my heart that I need not follow any scripted path in this F*cking small life of mine because some random dude I barely knew 2 hours ago said so, but because I realise, wherever I look, that EVERYONE HERE lives like this. They all go about their small lives doing what everyone is doing. They don't wonder, they accept everything. From my family to my boyfriend to my friends, they all have this mindset and I feel so sad. So sad not because I feel sorry for them but because I love them. They are beautiful souls with huge hearts and will for life and I don't want to lose them, not because they will leave, but because I may need to leave. I may need to keep distance from them. Small talk just doesn't do it for me. I don't want to lose my loved ones and our connection, but on the outward no one craves for change and I desperately do.

Right now there are zero people in my life that live or embrace the mindset (except for one guy who I barely know) and to talk to about that/ for some mentoring, for some real people discussion - support, apart from this forum and its people. All I have is my vision, my faith & trust in the Fastlane and my hunger for a fullfiling life experience. And this forum lol. I believe those are enough but as a "weak" human existence, support is always welcome.

Thank you again for the chance to post on this forum. MJ, I love you for your spirit.

x,
Deppy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
According to him and his slowlane mindset, civil engineers make very good money (he mentioned an example of what glorious money is 120E in a day for a permit, which made it hard for me to laugh). In this day and age we live in, this is the perfect job.

Didn't the global recession teach these people a lesson? Civil engineering? Please. That job is completely dependent on outside factors like a robust economy. Which, especially in Greece, you should be suspicious about.

EVERYONE HERE lives like this. They all go about their small lives doing what everyone is doing. They don't wonder, they accept everything. From my family to my boyfriend to my friends, they all have this mindset and I feel so sad. So sad not because I feel sorry for them but because I love them. They are beautiful souls with huge hearts and will for life and I don't want to lose them, not because they will leave, but because I may need to leave.

In order to ever have the chance to wake people from their slowlane slumber, you will need to become a model for success. Once you are a model for success, some of them will look for answers from you. Some won't. Some will stay asleep forever. And some will get answers and do nothing with them. And that's okay. Not everyone can be great. You won't lose them, you'll only lose the ones who don't care.

DeppyJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 19, 2017
Greece
Didn't the global recession teach these people a lesson? Civil engineering? Please. That job is completely dependent on outside factors like a robust economy. Which, especially in Greece, you should be suspicious about.

Aha. And these guys give advise to young people.

In order to ever have the chance to wake people from their slowlane slumber, you will need to become a model for success. Once you are a model for success, some of them will look for answers from you. Some won't. Some will stay asleep forever. And some will get answers and do nothing with them. And that's okay. Not everyone can be great. You won't lose them, you'll only lose the ones who don't care.

You know what you're abolutely right. Being in the emotional state I was for the last few hours this wasn't the first thought I had. With the minor success I had in the publishing business so far, my parents stopped bugging me to find a civil engineering job, but they don't take me seriously either just yet.

Thank you for your reply Mr.Brandtastic :)

DeppyJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 19, 2017
Greece
There is nothing wrong with starting your money making career with a job. Where are you at with your fastlane goals?

Thank you Steve for your reply :)
I agree but in my case it is not a waitressing job or sth that anyone can do.
it's a job where I'm a graduate with no experience, meaning when I first get employed I won't be paid at all, I will be doing training and to be trained needs lots of studying, meaning lots and lots of time. Time where I could be using building whatever it is that I'm building?

This guy said he can train me for one or two months, maybe more and that I have to be going to the office at least 4 hours/day to pratice. He will start paying me once he employs me. And he isn't willing to invest in me if I'm going to leave the office in 6 months.

I am working towards my fastlane goals everyday but right now, I have very little profit coming back. I keep building...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Hello,

My name is Deppy and I am from Greece.

This post is about my experience in an job interview I gave few hours ago.

To introduce myself, I am a civil engineer graduate and chose this major in college because of parent and school pressure as a result of being an A student in school. I never felt it right, my gut told me "NO" but my brain (and environment) told me "YES" so my imature, non-thinking 18-year old self decided to go for it. I wanted to study Marketing but the university was in another city and my parents couldn't financially support me there. I didn't want it badly so I didn't insist and I chose a school close to home.

Fast forward 10 years later, I have never worked as a civil engineering nor have I shown any interest in pursuing this career. In my free time (which is plenty since I don't have a "traditional" kind of job at the moment) I am in Kindle Publishing. I have a good insight but zero official knowledge (I mean degree) in any other aspect of the social media - promoting side of publishing. I am doing all the learning etc myself, through learning platforms and exposure. Investing in the book creation and marketing is essential and when there's no money to invest, a slowlane job is needed. Jobs here is Greece pay averagely 500E/mo and that is the good case, if the job is mainly full time. Most jobs here are part time and they pay about 300E-400E, and if you do jobs like waitressing or sth, the rate is 3E/hour.

I've done several jobs but I don't want to ramble on my difficulties, we all have our own obstacles and our cross to carry. The purpose of this thread is not not to tell you my life story, but because few hours ago I went to a job interview for a civil engineering company. I don't want to be a civil engineer but I figured if I want to make more money than a waitress then I might as well find a job in the field I have a degree on.

I was talking to the head chief in there who is a very kind guy but very old as well, smelling like cigarettes and smoke and as the interview was evolving, the conversation went from me trying to persuade him to employ me, to him trying to persuade me to chase the civil engineering career. He told me I have a distorted image of what civil engineers do and that I am a fool not to want to work as one. According to him and his slowlane mindset, civil engineers make very good money (he mentioned an example of what glorious money is 120E in a day for a permit, which made it hard for me to laugh). In this day and age we live in, this is the perfect job.

In his exact words, he said "not pursuing the civil engineering career that we all want will be the wrongest decision you will ever make and that you will regret it for the rest of your life". He said I need to do this now because in 4 years from now I will be off the market. When he said that I will leave the profession at the age of 67, my stomach knotted. I saw my whole life in front of me and the vision stopped with me being him, a 60 year old grey-haired old person who on a beautiful Saturday morning was working full time.

I posted this thread not because I need advice as I know deep inside my heart that I need not follow any scripted path in this F*cking small life of mine because some random dude I barely knew 2 hours ago said so, but because I realise, wherever I look, that EVERYONE HERE lives like this. They all go about their small lives doing what everyone is doing. They don't wonder, they accept everything. From my family to my boyfriend to my friends, they all have this mindset and I feel so sad. So sad not because I feel sorry for them but because I love them. They are beautiful souls with huge hearts and will for life and I don't want to lose them, not because they will leave, but because I may need to leave. I may need to keep distance from them. Small talk just doesn't do it for me. I don't want to lose my loved ones and our connection, but on the outward no one craves for change and I desperately do.

Right now there are zero people in my life that live or embrace the mindset (except for one guy who I barely know) and to talk to about that/ for some mentoring, for some real people discussion - support, apart from this forum and its people. All I have is my vision, my faith & trust in the Fastlane and my hunger for a fullfiling life experience. And this forum lol. I believe those are enough but as a "weak" human existence, support is always welcome.

Thank you again for the chance to post on this forum. MJ, I love you for your spirit.

x,
Deppy

Pay your bills, work on your fastlane, and chill at the fastlane forum.
I get the same stomach knot feeling when thinking bout 60+ full time worker future. I feel you. I also don't have any fastlaners in my life, this forum is all I have to feel a common kinship.

D.Davis

Ingeninja
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 8, 2017
Texas
People will disagree with me here, but I'll risk it and say I honestly think you should take the job. I for one think that the slow lane is a ticket to a life of disgusting mediocrity that makes me want to puke. However, I must take it for what it is and say that the education received from cooperations is as valuable as many books you'll read, and a billion times more valuable than whats taught in a University. If you're taking only a little profit and don't see it looking up for you soon, take a break. It's not like you're riding the Slowlane here because you aren't planning to do this long-term and you're just looking for another angle. You're pulling over for a second. The worst that can happen to you is you end up proving yourself right- you hate Civil Engineering, resign, and walk away with money that you've saved (30-40% a month maybe) to fund your new Fastlane venture while decreasing the cost of your lifestyle. During your time at the Slowlane, you can spend your free time studying why your current venture only gave you a small profit while planning what it will cost/ effort required to put you back on track. Best case? You discover that you like Civil Engineering and gain an education to build your own firm of Civil Engineers, discover a problem and invent a new process, license a patent, or even write a new Civil Engineering book that will sell Millions!

Last edited:

DeppyJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 19, 2017
Greece
Pay your bills, work on your fastlane, and chill at the fastlane forum.
I get the same stomach knot feeling when thinking bout 60+ full time worker future. I feel you. I also don't have any fastlaners in my life, this forum is all I have to feel a common kinship.

Thank you luniac for your reply. We don't have any fastlaners in our life...yet! I believe that's the spirit :)

DeppyJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 19, 2017
Greece
People will disagree with me here, but I'll risk it and say I honestly think you should take the job. I for one think that the slow lane is a ticket to a life of disgusting mediocrity that makes me want to puke. However, I must take it for what it is and say that the education received from cooperations is as valuable as many books you'll read, and a billion times more valuable than whats taught in a University. If you're taking only a little profit and don't see it looking up for you soon, take a break. It's not like you're riding the Slowlane here because you aren't planning to do this long-term and you're just looking for another angle. You're pulling over for a second. The worst that can happen to you is you end up proving yourself right- you hate Civil Engineering, resign, and walk away with money that you've saved (30-40% a month maybe) to fund your new Fastlane venture while decreasing the cost of your lifestyle. During your time at the Slowlane, you can spend your free time studying why your current venture only gave you a small profit while planning what it will cost/ effort required to put you back on track. Best case? You discover that you like Civil Engineering and gain an education to build your own firm of Civil Engineers, discover a problem and invent a new process, license a patent, or even write a new Civil Engineering book that will sell Millions!

Thank you D.Davis for your reply and for deciding to take the risk and speak up your mind :)

I partly agree with this, this is why it's still a question to me whether to get this chance and work for this guy now. The only thing that makes me think is that I need to be doing lots and lots of studying for the civil engineering job, if I want to be employed, and I will lose so many hours of work on my current venture. But I see what you're saying...

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I wouldn't accept it if the condition is you are looking at an untold amount of time of unpaid training. Are there possibly other ways to support yourself while working on your fastlane? If you are writing, you could check out Upwork or other freelance platforms. If you are planning on publishing a book, you can offer those same skills online and get paid for it. I wouldn't go ghostwriting other peoples' books, but even simple editing skills can be in high demand on Upwork.

I am also of the mindset that you can publish your Kindle book with basically zero marketing. I think that's what a few people did here on the forum; the quality of the content outweighs the cash you pump into marketing it. I would just build a simple website for the book or yourself, like an author website, and start writing away.

I stock a grocery store twice a week. Helps give me some physical work even if it is a bit monotonous. The rest of my time I am building websites, writing, and editing for clients. Part time work is great because you are granted more liberties than a full time worker; basically, aren't enslaved. There are of course downsides like no benefits.

DeppyJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 19, 2017
Greece
Hey Dark Water, thanks for the reply and for your insight.

I wouldn't accept it if the condition is you are looking at an untold amount of time of unpaid training. Are there possibly other ways to support yourself while working on your fastlane? If you are writing, you could check out Upwork or other freelance platforms. If you are planning on publishing a book, you can offer those same skills online and get paid for it. I wouldn't go ghostwriting other peoples' books, but even simple editing skills can be in high demand on Upwork.

The options are a bit limited here in the town I live. Unemployment is a perpetual condition here.
I can do that, I've thought about it again actually, but I couldn't find a skill I could sell...until what you said. Editing isn't a bad idea...so thank you! I will elaborate on that. Except for Upwork there is Fiverr too.

I am also of the mindset that you can publish your Kindle book with basically zero marketing. I think that's what a few people did here on the forum; the quality of the content outweighs the cash you pump into marketing it. I would just build a simple website for the book or yourself, like an author website, and start writing away.

I know you can, I've done that and had great success with it...until one day the book stopped selling. Because all I had was an Amazon Author Profile and the book. I see your point. You can do that if you get a GREAT book out, a book that you will pay a lot to the ghostwriter to write it for you. Specifically if you publish fiction. But if you publish non-fiction, you can get a good (not great) book out, a book of value, but there will be other books better than yours and then the competition will drink your blood. You will still get sales, but they won't be sustainable.

What do you mean "start writing away"? Like a blog on the website?

I stock a grocery store twice a week. Helps give me some physical work even if it is a bit monotonous. The rest of my time I am building websites, writing, and editing for clients. Part time work is great because you are granted more liberties than a full time worker; basically, aren't enslaved. There are of course downsides like no benefits.

Well done for you. Very interesting. Keep up the good work.
I have one question - do the website building, writing and editing feed your fastlane vehicle or is it a way to make a sort of income in order to build your fastlane?

Roulf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 6, 2017
Ontario
Hi Deppy.

I understand your feelings. I am a civil engineer too, graduated without no experience and only started working with construction/design well later.
Besides my best friend, I don't have anybody else close that has a fast lane mentality. It is so sad to look at loved ones and basically see the strings on them, being pulled around like puppets, following the script and considering it the life.

If you want to talk more about anything, I am in a similar position as of right now and would much like to chat about fast lane with you and others. Shoot me a message if you're interested.
Have a good weekend =)

DeppyJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 19, 2017
Greece
Hi Deppy.

I understand your feelings. I am a civil engineer too, graduated without no experience and only started working with construction/design well later.
Besides my best friend, I don't have anybody else close that has a fast lane mentality. It is so sad to look at loved ones and basically see the strings on them, being pulled around like puppets, following the script and considering it the life.

If you want to talk more about anything, I am in a similar position as of right now and would much like to chat about fast lane with you and others. Shoot me a message if you're interested.
Have a good weekend =)

Hey Roulf, thank you for reaching out!

I've just PMd you :)

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi,

If you're looking for a job related to your background PM me.

I can't promise you to find a job in Greece, but I have a huge network of recruiters who may help you find a job in Ireland, including relocation. You'll bank a decent amount of money as Civil Engineers are in a huge demand in Ireland at the moment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.