The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dear MJ, I have three questions.

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
First of all, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum section. I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the different subforums.

I just got done reading Unscripted , and I have these questions that are bugging me.

I hope you don't find them stupid, and I appreciate you taking your time to read and perhaps responding to them.

Okay, here we go:

Question 1:
Can I make a product that was shown off in a movie, a reality without being sued?

I'll give you a prime example.

Ever see the movie Total Recall (the original one)? There is a nail scene in the movie, where the woman changes the color of her nails. Here is the 39 second YouTube clip, so you can see for yourself if you don't know what I'm talking about:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in7QyUBV6Fk

What if I wanted to make that "fantasy" a reality, by making acrylic nails for women, that they can change the color of their nails anytime, with some sort of stylus? What if women wanted something like that?

My main concern, is that if I did make that a reality, could they turn around and sue me, because that was in their movie? I know, this might sound ridiculous to you, but I wanted to be sure. I'm ignorant of copyright/patent laws and things of that nature.

Obviously I would test the market to see if something like that was desired, but I just wanted to know if legally I would be allowed to even do that.

Question 2:
In TMFL you said as entrepreneurs, we don't have to make an original thing. Just take an original thing, and make it better. What about infringing copyright or patent rights? I was always confused about this. How do you make a "better" product if there is already a copyright on the original product? And if you do, are you able to copyright your own "better" version of the product? Again, this is just a confusing topic for me, about copyrighting and patenting.

Last Question:
Should you make a rough blueprint and copyright an idea before testing the market to see if people like your idea, to prevent it from potentially being taken?

The first and last questions I got from reading Unscripted . The second question, I had when I read TMFL.

Thank you for your time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Since you're new Ill just go ahead and give you a heads up. No one on the forum owes you an answer to your questions that can be found via Google.

You should read the forum rules and the gold threads.

Most of your questions have probably already been answered they just need to be searched.

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
My second and third questions, I suppose if I look harder, I could find the answers to them. But the very first question, I have done some searching on that, and I honestly can't find a direct answer to it. And this is by searching with Google. I have tried several different queries.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
You answered your own questions right here:
I'm ignorant of copyright/patent laws and things of that nature.

Stop being ignorant. Go look this stuff up and you will find your answers.

You can't ask us every question you have without doing your own research first.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
First of all, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum section. I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the different subforums.

I just got done reading Unscripted , and I have these questions that are bugging me.

I hope you don't find them stupid, and I appreciate you taking your time to read and perhaps responding to them.

Okay, here we go:

Question 1:
Can I make a product that was shown off in a movie, a reality without being sued?

I'll give you a prime example.

Ever see the movie Total Recall (the original one)? There is a nail scene in the movie, where the woman changes the color of her nails. Here is the 39 second YouTube clip, so you can see for yourself if you don't know what I'm talking about:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in7QyUBV6Fk

What if I wanted to make that "fantasy" a reality, by making acrylic nails for women, that they can change the color of their nails anytime, with some sort of stylus? What if women wanted something like that?

My main concern, is that if I did make that a reality, could they turn around and sue me, because that was in their movie? I know, this might sound ridiculous to you, but I wanted to be sure. I'm ignorant of copyright/patent laws and things of that nature.

Obviously I would test the market to see if something like that was desired, but I just wanted to know if legally I would be allowed to even do that.

Question 2:
In TMFL you said as entrepreneurs, we don't have to make an original thing. Just take an original thing, and make it better. What about infringing copyright or patent rights? I was always confused about this. How do you make a "better" product if there is already a copyright on the original product? And if you do, are you able to copyright your own "better" version of the product? Again, this is just a confusing topic for me, about copyrighting and patenting.

Last Question:
Should you make a rough blueprint and copyright an idea before testing the market to see if people like your idea, to prevent it from potentially being taken?

The first and last questions I got from reading Unscripted . The second question, I had when I read TMFL.

Thank you for your time.

MJ is not an expert on intellectual property law and cannot give you a legal opinion on your specific questions. Consult an attorney. Do some homework.

eagleye101

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 24, 2013
Athens, Greece
Hi,

I'd jump in and say that there are no stupid questions. We aren't born by knowing everything and we ask to learn. With that said, I'd add for you to do the work and search before asking because sometime the answer could be right in front of you. Also, as said before, nobody would answer something that could be googled (even if you have to to to page 7 in the google search).

Now, since we're here and you asked, I could add with an answer that is an opinion and not an advice. If you want to offer soemthing that was mentioned in a movie, you could rename it and offer it. Simple as that. Do you think Apple had to ask for permission from Star Trek for creating the iPhone?

Do your research, see if there's a need. Confirm that you have the capability to cover this need. Test and evaluate your idea and act until echo...

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
To answer your first question, your invention and their movie magic are not the same thing. You'd need to lookup patents to find out if someone has your product/method patented. A patent attorney would be the right person to ask for that. I wouldn't look that answer up on the internet.

Jerwood

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Sep 10, 2017
Paignton, Devon, UK
Okay. Thank you guys for your advice. :)
At face value it might feel like you've been shot down a little on this post, please don't take it as a negative.
As @eagleye101 said, there are no stupid questions.

You'll find on here everyone is putting in hard work to progress themselves and expect you to do the same.
Take everyone's responses as friendly advice (it is!).
Jump on google and educate yourself :)

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
1) if it looks and works pretty much like what is in that clip, you're outta luck on owning the patent. However, so is everybody else so it's free game to make and distribute, because patents grant monopolies, which no one can have in this case on that particular product. Look up the term "prior art".

2) if you take something and make it objectively better, it is no longer that thing. So you probably aren't violating any IP laws. Look at a few patents under the search term "blade" and observe.

3) that depends on many factors, too many to cover here. I suggest reading a book on patent law.

I'm not a lawyer and can't give you legal advice. You assume any and all risk you take by following this or any advice on this forum. I've only shared a semi-informed opinion.

Finally, as others have said, do your homework. The mark of any entrepreneur is self-reliance. It's antithetical to come here expecting others to just hand you things.

People here respond much better to those who learn, do and then teach. They expect all to do likewise, because that's what keeps this forum true to its mission.

Having said that, those are great questions and you'll find that you'll be a better entrepreneur if you answer it yourself (because you'll know the answer going forward from then on).

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Everyone starts off timid and unsure at first. Once you get your feet wet with entrepreneurship, you'll have a better understanding of what it really takes:

1. Action taking
  2. Persistence
  3. The undying urge to learn all the time
  4. Failure
It takes time, it's not easy, but if you're cut out for it, you'll know it.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
My second and third questions, I suppose if I look harder, I could find the answers to them. But the very first question, I have done some searching on that, and I honestly can't find a direct answer to it. And this is by searching with Google. I have tried several different queries.
What you're seeking is the key words patents and copy rights. And like they stated, you can find most answers through Google on most of your questions, and reading through the feeds in Fast lane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.