The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quitting my Investment Banking Job and Moving West

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
It's getting real, guys! Just told my roommates tonight (lived with them for 4 years, they were friends from college and we all got investment banking jobs in NYC) that I'm moving out once the lease is up in December of this year.

I have a few months, but am going to start doing research for apartments in San Diego to see realistic expectations of how much I'll pay.

Will keep this post updated as I progress more with my journey.

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
ok..so why are you leaving investment banking?

Can i ask you a question about PUBCO's and taking companies public?

Good luck

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
ok..so why are you leaving investment banking?

Can i ask you a question about PUBCO's and taking companies public?

Good luck

I ended up moving jobs over a year ago and the culture in this office is extremely toxic. The best story I can use to drive home that point is that I was given a very hard time for taking off time when I had a death in the family last year.

Everyone in my office is miserable but no one is taking action.

It made me reevaluate what I wanted and the more research I did into entrepreneurship, the more I realized it wasn't as big of a risk as common wisdom made it out to be. I'm in a position to take a calculated risk (26 years old, no wife or children).

I'm very optimistic for the future and am excited to work hard and actually give value instead of staring at Microsoft Excel all day.

To answer your other questions, feel free to send me a private message and we can go into further details!

Thanks

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
San Diego is a beautiful city @GuitarManDan ! Congrats on taking the bold leap and good luck!

I am a few hours north of you having transplanted, sort of, from the East Coast myself. Can't say I like California all that much yet, but I definitely enjoy SD. Good choice.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
San Diego is a beautiful city @GuitarManDan ! Congrats on taking the bold leap and good luck!

I am a few hours north of you having transplanted, sort of, from the East Coast myself. Can't say I like California all that much yet, but I definitely enjoy SD. Good choice.

Thanks man! My lease is up here Jan 1st so I've already started looking at apartments.

Do you have any specific areas you'd recommend? Preferably looking for a one bedroom in an area that's reasonably safe. Not sure how much cheaper the Phoenix/Scottsdale area is, but I'm considering that as well.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Well of all the places I have lived outside of Florida, I loved Overland Park, KS (suburb of Kansas City) the best. It isn't bad here in Pismo Beach, CA. San Diego is one of my favorite cities though. Cali prices for property and shitty state politics around a lot of things makes it pricier for no real payback.

Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo are both ridiculously safe though. You will pay for it. It is not cheap. Not even for a 1 Bedroom.

I have always wanted to try Arizona but never done it. I will though at some point or at least buy some property there. I know for a fact it is considerably cheaper than SD.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
sub'ed. I think you'll be amazed at just how different every aspect of your life is when you get out of a toxic office culture.

Also, to piggyback @Aaron T have you considered other cities? I don't know what your financial situation is, but there's plenty of places where your dollar will go farther, and San Diego might not be as enjoyable if under financial stress.

Wife and I are looking to move early next year and checking out some cities. Short list so far is:
Austin, TX
Oklahoma City, OK
Santa Fe, NM
Boulder, CO
Couer D'Alene, ID

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I'm just at the point where I'd rather fall on my face 100 times on business ventures than keep doing what I've been doing in the slowlane banking jobs. I know that I'll work my a$$ off and will learn from any challenges/mistakes that occur while I'm learning the process of growing my business.

This is it! That is the decision. That attitude alone will be all it takes to put the effort into getting where ever it is you are trying to go!

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Nice! Congrats on the jump :)

I'm doing something similar actually. Hopefully you swing by the how to use forums and Facebook groups thread as well.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I can be a perfectionist, so I kept trying to focus on not perfecting the videos, but instead, just creating the material. I want to take the actions to the best of my ability and then assess feedback from customers and adjust afterwards.
Nice. I agree with this. It's my plan also. I don't want to do a half assed job on the videos, but the main thing is the content.

I've seen someone spend soooo much time on his video (what got me interested in this process to begin with), like months, with reshooting etc, that now looks unnecessary. Worse than that, it looks too professional and all of his great personal character that helped make his course cool as shit when I saw it live in person (as a presentation at a coworking space) is goooone.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Nice. I agree with this. It's my plan also. I don't want to do a half assed job on the videos, but the main thing is the content.

I've seen someone spend soooo much time on his video (what got me interested in this process to begin with), like months, with reshooting etc, that now looks unnecessary. Worse than that, it looks too professional and all of his great personal character that helped make his course cool as shit when I saw it live in person (as a presentation at a coworking space) is goooone.

One place I feel like I would be an Action Faker is with video. I have so much good content to put into video. So much I want to share. Yet, for some reason I feel like I would do a horrible job and I would be overly perfectionist at it. I don't like my video presence and even how my voice sounds (funny as I am speaking at the BOLD conference this week, ugh.) I would continually reshoot, try different things, whatever and in the end never get anywhere.

I commend you and @GuitarManDan for going for it!

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Much kudos to you on your quest, switching things up are often just what the spirit requires to move ahead in all greatness, so I wish you all the best as you move on your new journey.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I already know this is going to be a GOLD thread that will go down in this forum's history. Anybody who is starting up a business will benefit greatly from subscribing to this thread and following Dan's journey.

As Dan mentioned in his first post, I've been talking to him via Skype following every step of his progress; and out of the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people I see go through this forum over the years, there are those that you know are going to be successful...and then there are the rest (the action fakers and the ones on the fence). And this business Dan is starting is destined to be a success.

From going straight from work to his computer working for hours every night, doing it from a standpoint of giving to others (and not just trying to take money), to practicing what he preaches (to a fault) with his coaching...I'm excited to see where this business goes.

I don't like my video presence and even how my voice sounds (funny as I am speaking at the BOLD conference this week, ugh.) I would continually reshoot, try different things, whatever and in the end never get anywhere.

That was me back in 2015 when I started my YouTube channel.

The voice thing is something you get used to after you watch through 50+ of your videos on YouTube. I hated my voice at first! Now it's just normal and I'm desensitized to the feeling and the self-judgement by now. If this is something you truly want to do, it's worth pushing through any of these things holding you back from it! It definitely sounds you have a lot of great stuff to share from your posts on here!

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I already know this is going to be a GOLD thread that will go down in this forum's history. Anybody who is starting up a business will benefit greatly from subscribing to this thread and following Dan's journey.

As Dan mentioned in his first post, I've been talking to him via Skype following every step of his progress; and out of the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people I see go through this forum over the years, there are those that you know are going to be successful...and then there are the rest (the action fakers and the ones on the fence). And this business Dan is starting is destined to be a success.

From going straight from work to his computer working for hours every night, doing it from a standpoint of giving to others (and not just trying to take money), to practicing what he preaches (to a fault) with his coaching...I'm excited to see where this business goes.

That was me back in 2015 when I started my YouTube channel.

The voice thing is something you get used to after you watch through 50+ of your videos on YouTube. I hated my voice at first! Now it's just normal and I'm desensitized to the feeling and the self-judgement by now. If this is something you truly want to do, it's worth pushing through any of these things holding you back from it! It definitely sounds you have a lot of great stuff to share from your posts on here!

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I speak publicly often at conference, investor meetings, corporate events, and the like. I think I have finally gotten used to that vocal sound. Then I hear myself on video. I don't get why it is so cringe worthy to me. However, I do plan on giving the video thing a try at some point.

Back on topic with this thread, what you are saying about the idea, @GuitarManDan and this thread becoming gold has me excited. I can't wait to see this ride! I absolutely love success stories and what all goes into them.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Nice one man, keep up the grind!

What's your style going to be for the videos? As it seems your market is people who are professionals, I suppose it is going to be of a more professional nature?

I'm looking at the different options now. Professional with a green screen etc, casual, and also a less structured conversational style, kind of like a recorded podcast with a topic outline in a way, where I interview/discuss the topic with experts I know. I'm likely going to mix it up between option 2 and 3.

Good luck finishing the outline. I'm doing the same right now. Trying to find the right balance between giving info/value but not dragging it out and keeping people highly engaged.

One thing to consider maybe before you go further. I have noticed in the course platform Facebook discussion groups there is talk of demand for an audio only course to accompany the video, so people can do the course in more situations (on the train, bus, at work etc). Has changed how I'm going to put mine together a bit, so I can accommodate that if necessary without there being too much of a difference between the video and audio course. Bit harder for you I imagine as yours would need to use info slides with stats and numbers etc when mine doesn't.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Love it! Rep sent.Looking at the free personalised coaching to begin with as well, to help shore up the future drafts of the book and course by finding out more accurately what they want.

It's tempting to go all out and try to "build your audience" first. Sounds like you have been listening to Andy ;)

Last edited:

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
@GuitarManDan had you chosen San Diego I would have suggested we meet up and work together! I currently live here and have been heading to cafe's after work for a few hours to work on my app. Enjoy Phoenix! What swayed your decision that way?

Its great to hear you progressing my friend.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
@GuitarManDan had you chosen San Diego I would have suggested we meet up and work together! I currently live here and have been heading to cafe's after work for a few hours to work on my app. Enjoy Phoenix! What swayed your decision that way?

Its great to hear you progressing my friend.

Hey Ray,

I was pleasantly surprised how much cheaper the rent was in the Phoenix area compared to San Diego. As I start off in my business, I'd like for the rent to be reasonable.

I plan on getting a flexible lease in Phoenix in case I want to move to another area but I've heard excellent things and am excited to make it out there.

More than happy to speak via PM or a call sometime to hear your background and how your business is doing!

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017