The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Committing and No Longer Selling Myself Short

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
Technically, yes. I haven't been working on the business so I haven't done anything else since earlier in the month. I'm sort of at a loss for direction, as sad as it sounds. I'm beginning to see I had no real vision moving forward as I don't entirely know what is possible. I think I've had a very narrow mindset and that I'm not quite thinking big enough. When I was working with my uncle years ago, I was doing the exact same thing I'm doing now and I am not entirely sure that what I was doing was productive for his business -- which is why I think he dropped the accounts and I no longer worked with him after that. It's much more clear now, but it's more or less an obstacle I have to get around. It's like .01% of what I can do so I can't just say "it doesn't work for me" and flip-flop to something else.

I'm getting the itch to try other things that are more internet/computer related like web design, lead generation, etc. But, honestly, I have no idea how to start lead generation from zero. I don't even know if I know what that is. As much as I'm good with a computer, I am clueless when it comes to becoming a "producer" of something, like podcasts, youtube videos, lead generation.

I've also been bouncing the idea around in my brain of trying to get into investment management. I'm a big fan of Warren Buffett and have been investing my own money since 2003. I love the idea of buying businesses that are undervalued. I've had good success with my own accounts in the past. Within the last several years, I've had yearly returns of 42% and 33%.

At the same time I hear @MJ DeMarco yelling at me through his books. :) Maybe that's something for another life.

I was watching a couple videos with Elon Musk and it leaves me in awe how big he thinks and the magnitude of what he's doing. Watching SpaceX launch a rocket is incredible. It makes me think, "What is the biggest thing I could do that seems impossible?"

Also, the past few days I've been listening to the How I Built This podcast (which I highly recommend). It's very cool listening to how people built their businesses and it really shows you that they are just like everyone else. They had an idea that they went after and never gave up.

This went on a major tangent, but I needed to get some things off my mind. I appreciate the help you have given me in PM and I hope to pick your brain a little more.
Honestly, I think you're selling yourself short with the government contracting route. Only you can know if you should switch to something else, but there's a whole wide world out there that doesn't involve working with the government or only "winning" if you're the lowest bidder.

Of course, that's mainly my personal bias based on having worked for the government for over a decade. If I had a do-over, I would never have dipped my toe in that pond, because it turned out to be quicksand.

I'm working on lead gen for local businesses in a specific niche. If you want to discuss how I'm doing that, I'll be glad to share with you. Maybe it will give you some ideas or alternative options.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Honestly, I think you're selling yourself short with the government contracting route. Only you can know if you should switch to something else, but there's a whole wide world out there that doesn't involve working with the government or only "winning" if you're the lowest bidder.

Of course, that's mainly my personal bias based on having worked for the government for over a decade. If I had a do-over, I would never have dipped my toe in that pond, because it turned out to be quicksand.

I'm working on lead gen for local businesses in a specific niche. If you want to discuss how I'm doing that, I'll be glad to share with you. Maybe it will give you some ideas or alternative options.

You're probably right. You know more about the inner workings that I do. My uncle is still mentoring me from a distance so I'm willing to keep hacking away at it and see if there is a different avenue to approach rather than the micropurchases. There has to be a better way. It'll have to be something I look into mid-June when I return and things become more simple.

I appreciate the offer. I'm definitely interested!

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I'm back after being away for a couple weeks. I didn't realize how much stress I was under planning and preparing for my wedding. We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and it was so peaceful and relaxing. While I was there, I kept thinking about how great it felt to have so much freedom without any care in the world. Having planned for this honeymoon/vacation, I knew that my time was dedicated to me. I didn't have to worry about going into work the next day. My time was mine to enjoy. And I needed it. Those two weeks were the first time I took a full day off this year. I have a good schedule that includes time off during the week and every other weekend, but my mind is always in the rotation of my work schedule instead of just being off. It's a different feeling when I'm off when I'm supposed to be working as compared to being off when it's my regular day off.

Being home and already back to work, it's been slow getting back into the routine. My mind has been all over the place whether I want to move onto something new or to keep plugging away at my current business. I'm still having trouble justifying giving it up. I really believe I need to work it harder and go after the different paths this can take. With the wedding behind me, I can refocus instead of having to juggle two or three things at a time and always feeling distracted.

I think it would be fun to do web design or lead generation, but at the same time, I don't want to be that guy who is chasing shiny things. I could go after 10 different things and never get anywhere with any of them instead of staying on the straight path and focusing on one thing at a time. My brain is telling me to work on my business while working on investing on the side and trying the lead generation. I also think about learning programming and designing a website that I have been thinking about for a few years. I'm really all over the place right now. The motivation is there, but the focus and direction is not.

I remember the days when I was daytrading crude oil futures and the e-mini S&P. I would spend 12-15 hours a day working on it, everything from preparing, trading, writing in a journal, reviewing, being in a trading group, etc. Prior to my wedding, I barely spent 2 hours a day on my current business because I don't know what else to do. This is probably a wake-up call. I don't know. Writing this has been more of a brain dump than anything since I've had about a month of not working on anything.

The week before the wedding I had a buyer reach out to me asking for documentation. It was really bad timing because I didn't see the email until that night and they wanted the documentation by the end of business the following day. The problem was that I had to work a 12 hour shift, wasn't able to call the supplier or be on my home computer to do what I needed to do. The company that won that contract bid $3 more than I did. I probably would have won my first contract if I was able to take care of the paperwork. I don't know if that hurt my performance behind the scenes. It probably did, but I don't know.

The last couple days I have been having trouble getting back into the routine. I don't know if it's just trying to get settled in again, thinking about going in other directions, etc. Something needs to get done, though, because I'm not giving up. I started reading The Millionaire Fastlane again while in Hawaii and it really started sinking in. My only alternative is to succeed. I have to stop thinking that "someday" we will be able to quit our jobs or "someday" we'll go back to Hawaii. "Someday" isn't going to create a system that solves a need or design that website or invest that money to create a track record.

ColbyG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 19, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
Great thread so far mate. Just read the whole way through it. I have no experience on the subject matter, but is there an argument for bidding at cost price until you win a contract. Then if (when) you deliver the product on time and to spec, the government is happy with you and will look favourably on you in the future. Kind of like getting your foot in the door.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Great thread so far mate. Just read the whole way through it. I have no experience on the subject matter, but is there an argument for bidding at cost price until you win a contract. Then if (when) you deliver the product on time and to spec, the government is happy with you and will look favourably on you in the future. Kind of like getting your foot in the door.

Yes, that's something I was getting around to doing. I started with 10% margins, including on top of shipping. Then I went down to 10% only on the cost. Now I'm down to around 3% margins above cost. That seems to be about the sweet spot. Then I learned about a government program where they pay half of the shipping and I was able to reduce my bids even further.

There are other companies who quote at cost and then pay with a credit card to get cash back. That is how they generate their income.

Once I saw awards coming in, I realized my past quotes had no fighting chance. That's when I started to lower my bids to try to walk it in. It's still hard to think about how it can turn into anything when you're only making 3% margins. To get to my monthly goal doing only what they call micropurchases, I'd have to win over 1,000 contracts a month. But, I have to start somewhere.

The other route is to go after much larger contracts and try to find the funds to pay for them in advance or go after the departments that pay with a credit card. I'm talking about contracts that are over $25,000+ in one award instead of what I'm doing now at $200 to $400. Doing that may just be a matter of thinking big. The government's money is out there. I just need to figure out how to get it. When you factor in that the government spends around $500 billion a year, you have to believe that the little guys like me are able to get a piece of that.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I keep telling myself I can't give up although the goal going forward is very unclear -- I don't know what the end game is. I'm providing value by helping the government source their purchases at reasonable prices. I like the idea that I might win a contract that directly supports the military. I could source something as simple as a bag of bolts that are used on fighter jets -- I have no idea -- but in the back of my mind I tell myself that is where all of this stuff is going. If you've never seen the movie War Dogs, I highly recommend it.

June was a slow month. I was getting back on my feet after losing some momentum. I finished the month with 14 bids. It's not my highest since starting, but I finished the month on a strong note. I definitely need to do considerably more than that if I want this to really become something. I've been getting impatient because I know there is a better life out there. So far, I've been my own worst enemy. I've been holding myself back. I read a book recently that I think explains what I've been going through. I'm going to create a separate post for that later.

The excitement of starting the business has worn off. It doesn't make me jump out of bed in the morning (on my days off), but I know I have to stick with it and make it work even if I have to take a different path. There has to be a better way and there has to be a way for me to take part in the huge government spending. With that said, the advice I've gotten in this thread is still right there in front of me and I'm afraid that I'm going to hear, "I told you so." At this point, I partly feel committed to the business and not letting my uncle down for helping me get started and only beginning to start giving me advice. I also don't want to be that guy who is chasing the next big thing or trying to chase money. Word has gotten out where I work that I started a business and so I really can't be a failure. I feel like everyone who knows assumes I'm going to be successful. I'm really afraid of spinning my wheels for the next 21 years.

Sometimes it's good to write just to get some things off of my mind. I want to learn more about sales and marketing. The past 14 years have been so geared toward investing. I have a bookshelf within arms reach of me full of investing books and a box full in my closet. I started reading Influence by Robert Cialdini. I've been listening to business podcasts like How I Built This and Masters of Scale and have been listening to Lead the Field by Earl Nightingale on repeat in my car while I'm driving.

My mind is all over the place right now, but it's sort of helping to clear my mind and get myself organized. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
July is coming to an end and I still do not have any good news to report. Life and work keeps me busy. Work has been so busy and with the summer heat, I am just wiped out by the time I get home. Then, on my couple days off I have a hard time recharging my brain to start wanting to make decisions. I am disappointed and discouraged and while I don't feel like a "failure," I feel like I'm failing myself. The work I have been doing on my business has been nearly nonexistent.

In July, I started off with 5 quotes in one day and then I just stopped logging in. The work feels like it's not worth my time. Intrinsically, I know that the government is spending money and the money is out there. The problem is that with the amount of experienced competition and the race to the bottom dollar, I have no way to differentiate myself right now. And with nothing to really sell to them, I don't feel like I'm providing a service or value. For example, if I was a business making airplane parts, I'd have a way to manufacture for them; however, my business is just a supply company. I have no physical product or service I provide other than going out there and quoting them parts that they have to open for bids.

If I'm going to continue with this business, then I need to figure out an alternative and/or solution. I looked at other sites that offer something similar, but most of it was construction projects. I'm not entirely familiar with the other sites so I don't know how to best use them. I've heard of subcontracting/brokering deals, but I don't know how that works.

It doesn't make it any better that I'm not putting forth the effort either so while I can say it's not working for me and I'm not sure I'm going to continue doing it, I can also say it's entirely my own fault for not dedicating myself to it 100%. It is something that has plagued me from the beginning.

One thing I always do is check the contracts I bid on to see if they were awarded. The other day I found one had been awarded to a company and found that I actually bid lower than them. I'm not really sure why I didn't win that one being a low bidder. I sent an email out requesting information so I can learn going forward, but haven't heard anything back yet.

In other news, I was talking to a friend who has just started a photography business. I looked at her website and realized she could use a major upgrade to get away from Wix. I gave her advice on buying her own domain and hosting and that I would help her build a new website. She seemed excited about the opportunity so I was thinking about refreshing my html/css and then rebuilding her site on the side. Once I have something put together, I can show her and let her decide if she is willing to make the switch. It would be a good lesson on web design, copywriting, marketing, etc. and would help to start a portfolio.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Finally have some good news to report. I won my first contract!

I still have some things I'm trying to figure out, but I pretty much have about 2.5 months to fulfill the contract. It shouldn't take that long. I just need to figure out how to do everything correctly to ship the product. Even if I end up losing money on this transaction, it's giving me the opportunity to see the entire sales cycle. I think there is going to be a cost added that I didn't account for -- and that's what I'm trying to learn and figure out how to handle it.

The goal right now is to see this through to the end until I get my payment. From there, it'll prove that I can do it! I think @Andy Black said, if you can make one sale, you can make two. Or was that 100? Anyway, I'll ramp it up and go after winning more. Knowing the entire cycle will give me a better idea how to more accurately quote prices and get a good flow going and to see that there is no big scary monster waiting for me at the end of the tunnel.

I've also been working on redesigning a website for my friend's business. I've been working on that every now and then as I'm still learning a lot. I've been working with her on some concepts and trying to get her to take a wall of text down to simple explanations that are easy to understand and refining her pricing to narrow down the options. She's really been dealing with information overload to the point where she is trying to justify her pricing to potential customers. She does really great work. I think she's underselling herself by a lot, but she has been really receptive to my suggestions, which is good -- almost like I'm consulting her (new business opportunity?).

So, goods things are coming around. Trying to stay humble and just do the work. I signed up for an Audible account and have been listening to Sell or Be Sold by Grant Cardone. It has been a pretty good book so far. If anyone has any suggestions for audiobooks, please let me know! I still have one more free credit that I'm looking to use.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
So, it's been about another month. I've been overwhelmed with trying to figure out the next step and I've been distracting myself when I should be taking action. Earlier in the week when I was off work, I started digging in and figuring it out piece by piece. I have a better grasp on it and was ready to get moving forward and ship the first product. I got everything set up today to ship and then found out that every single little box I had needed a new label on it. Talk about another obstacle! Going through the proper system that generated the labels was only giving me 3 size options. And, guess what? None of those 3 sizes worked for the size of the box they needed to go on. Either they were way too big or way too small.

I was feeling overwhelmed again. Why is there so much resistance with everything I've been doing?

Instead of just throwing my hands up and giving up, I said to myself, "what can I do to make this work?"

It only took a few minutes to come up with a solution. I took a screenshot of the information I needed and then went onto the website of a label company and used their free templates to figure out the right size and be able to generate the label in there. I went out to Walmart and bought a pack of the labels and then printed them 6 at a time. It took me a good 3-4 hours of the day to figure out this label thing. But, progress is progress!

I'll definitely be taking a loss on this first order now that I had to put labels on every single box, but I'm still learning. I know what to look forward to in the future. I tried to go back in to prepare the shipment, but had a question on one section. I called the help desk again, but nobody answered. I'll have to try again next week.

So, with all of this discouragement and obstacles, I'm still not 100% sure this is all right for me. But maybe I'm giving up too soon. I don't know. I just don't know why there has been so much resistance with the amount of things I have needed to learn along the way. Maybe it's a sign that I'm moving in the right direction. Something has to give, though. Something needs to happen so I can really start to move forward with a prosperous future.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So, it's been about another month. I've been overwhelmed with trying to figure out the next step and I've been distracting myself when I should be taking action. Earlier in the week when I was off work, I started digging in and figuring it out piece by piece. I have a better grasp on it and was ready to get moving forward and ship the first product. I got everything set up today to ship and then found out that every single little box I had needed a new label on it. Talk about another obstacle! Going through the proper system that generated the labels was only giving me 3 size options. And, guess what? None of those 3 sizes worked for the size of the box they needed to go on. Either they were way too big or way too small.

I was feeling overwhelmed again. Why is there so much resistance with everything I've been doing?

Instead of just throwing my hands up and giving up, I said to myself, "what can I do to make this work?"

It only took a few minutes to come up with a solution. I took a screenshot of the information I needed and then went onto the website of a label company and used their free templates to figure out the right size and be able to generate the label in there. I went out to Walmart and bought a pack of the labels and then printed them 6 at a time. It took me a good 3-4 hours of the day to figure out this label thing. But, progress is progress!

I'll definitely be taking a loss on this first order now that I had to put labels on every single box, but I'm still learning. I know what to look forward to in the future. I tried to go back in to prepare the shipment, but had a question on one section. I called the help desk again, but nobody answered. I'll have to try again next week.

So, with all of this discouragement and obstacles, I'm still not 100% sure this is all right for me. But maybe I'm giving up too soon. I don't know. I just don't know why there has been so much resistance with the amount of things I have needed to learn along the way. Maybe it's a sign that I'm moving in the right direction. Something has to give, though. Something needs to happen so I can really start to move forward with a prosperous future.
What's Your Problem?

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
This is exactly what I've been thinking about it. I think I have the echoes of you, @MJ DeMarco , and @AndrewNC in the back of my mind when it comes to the idea of hurdles, obstacles, and mountains. That is why I have been fighting through the resistance.

I recently finished the audiobook, The 10x Rule by Grant Cardone. He basically says he loves having problems. Having problems means you're growing and moving forward. If you never had problems, then you would just be doing what the average person does. The average person avoids the problems and they stay in their comfort zone. Every obstacle I've run into I've overcome (so far) and it has given me the experience to be able to get over it in the future. In fact, what seems like such a big obstacle in the beginning is no longer an obstacle when I get around it.

When I was really putting my foot down to figure this out, I basically had to say, "screw it! I need to figure this out!" I was getting anxiety because I hated feeling like a fool reaching out to the buyers and other departments to ask them about their systems and how to do things. I created a "Courage List" that I wrote down the action I took every time I overcame my fear of doing something. All of them are making phone calls and actually talking to people. And this has helped me realize two things:

1. I actually learned a lot by talking to them, and
2. There are some really nice people out there who will take the time to help if you ask.

I'm sure some new fears will crop up soon when I get back to selling; however, right now, focusing on this one shipment, when I have a question, I just pick up the phone and call. I don't even think about the fear of talking to someone or have the fear of feeling like an idiot. I just call and talk.

I'm currently listening to "The Magic of Thinking Big" (recommended in the book thread) and the author states that the cure for fear is action. It's the simple act of doing that thing you're afraid of doing. That is so true! You'll gain the courage to keep going and then you no longer feel that fear anymore.

I also started re-reading Unscripted again. I need that kick in the butt again to keep going. My real-life job is going downhill fast and I need to get myself out.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hmmm... stop reading and start doing?

Problems are *literally* stepping stones on our journey. They are exactly how we move forward.

If you're not encountering new problems, then you're STUCK (or content where you are, which is fine btw).

If you're not there yet then maybe watch this video (sorry for giving you more to consume):
View: https://youtu.be/wBlJ5HbFpYQ

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Hmmm... stop reading and start doing?

Problems are *literally* stepping stones on our journey. They are exactly how we move forward.

If you're not encountering new problems, then you're STUCK (or content where you are, which is fine btw).

If you're not there yet then maybe watch this video (sorry for giving you more to consume):

I basically cut back on reading a lot. I do all of my reading through audiobooks now when I'm driving, doing yard work, working around the house, etc. It's rare for me to sit down and read, but I make an exception for MJ's books.

I've been sort of forced to figure this all out on my own so the process has been slow. I don't have any friends I can talk to about business and I don't come from a business background.

I was stuck for quite some time. I am very fortunate to be in the position I am now, but I'm not content. And that's the thing...I'm not content and the discontent is getting worse. And with it getting worse, I'm sort of in a frenzy to get something working because I have to create something that will allow me to go out on my own before I give up what I currently do. I'm looking for the answers, advice, feedback in any way that I can. I posted something on the Inside, which was meant to search for those answers.

Thanks for the video! I'm going to check it out.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I basically cut back on reading a lot. I do all of my reading through audiobooks now when I'm driving, doing yard work, working around the house, etc. It's rare for me to sit down and read, but I make an exception for MJ's books.

I've been sort of forced to figure this all out on my own so the process has been slow. I don't have any friends I can talk to about business and I don't come from a business background.

I was stuck for quite some time. I am very fortunate to be in the position I am now, but I'm not content. And that's the thing...I'm not content and the discontent is getting worse. And with it getting worse, I'm sort of in a frenzy to get something working because I have to create something that will allow me to go out on my own before I give up what I currently do. I'm looking for the answers, advice, feedback in any way that I can. I posted something on the Inside, which was meant to search for those answers.

Thanks for the video! I'm going to check it out.
Breathe.

Keep that discontent and drive burning, but slow down and start thinking about other people and who you can help.

Maybe check out the radio interviews in my signature, and some of the other calls I've had with forum members.

And the 700 PMs thread.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Spent another 2-3 hours today figuring out the final parts to shipping. I couldn't do it the past 2 days because I was at work all day.

I got the labels printed out (I just taped them to the box) and then submitted the invoice for payment. Labels have to go on a certain way so I hope I did it right. And I put a packing list inside of the box so I hope that is right as well.

I was still confused on submitting the invoice so I was going through the training portal, but it completely skipped over the particular things I needed to know. I ended up calling them to ask and basically it came down to, "You type in your own numbers there and there," and "If it's not mandatory, don't put anything in there." Then he said to go to a certain tab and edit it because there is probably one thing missing, which there was, and I had to enter that in. After that he said to submit it. So for something that looks like a confusing mess, it was literally like 3-4 blocks I needed to click because everything else was automatically filled in. Super simple.

And so, I taped the labels to the box when I decided I was ready to ship and drove it down to the UPS Store. Now, I just wait and hope that everything I did is done correctly and they accept the shipment and pay me. I have a tracking number and I live relatively close to where it's going so it shouldn't take more than a couple days.

**fingers crossed**

In the end, as much agonizing as I did over this whole process and how much it really discouraged me how difficult it seemed, it really wasn't that bad. I could definitely replicate it much faster in the future. There is still a lot to learn, but if I stick to the same type of contracts with similar requirements, I can do it again without any problems and not spend a month trying to figure it out.

Qstyle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 12, 2016
I just read your thread, it's great to see you keep going on after all the hurdles you've already taken.
Seems you're preparing to tackle even more so I like the energy you keep putting in.
As Andy Black mentioned, take a breath when you seem to start drowning. We're all grinding away at our problems, you're not alone.
Keep it up!

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I'm posting this a day late, but wanted to say that yesterday was a good day. My first official payment was cleared into my bank account. It was a slight loss because I didn't take into account having to relabel everything and I was also double charged shipping when I bought the product since they came in two shipments. That was my fault. The labeling was because I really didn't know what I needed to do. It's also probably why I won it in the first place because I was the lowest cost from only adding the shipping in once.

Since getting back into it, I've quoted 2 more contracts. There is a certain criteria that I'm looking for when I review the contracts so a lot of them I pass. Generally, I would say on average there are about 20 new contracts everyday so I'm having to pass on a lot of them. Some of them I'll research and decide it's not right for me right now, whether it's me still not really knowing what I'm doing or just that the contract is out of my price range or they want a quick turnaround that I can't handle. I'm trying to get a good understanding of everything without having to break the bank also.

Where I learned how to handle one thing, another thing comes up that makes me question how to handle that as well. For example, one of the sections talks about how to pack the product. Since I worked through that, now I know how to do that one. Well, then I run into others that are in a code that I have to look up, but then it's talking about special boxes, which I don't know if it's just a regular box or that they want a specific type of box. I'll have to make a phone call and figure it out.

When I look at what I'm doing and try to commit to it, I realize that I'm really not doing enough. I'm not spending hours every day trying to source contracts. I really don't know what else to do. I can get through the one supplier's contracts in about 20 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes if there are a few I'm quoting, but Tuesday I quoted 2, Wednesday I quoted 0, and today I quoted 0. I'm not going to get anywhere with this if I don't start figuring out how to get more involved. And I'm often wondering if I need to start seriously considering something else that I can take more directed action toward.

I look at a lot of the people doing well on here and they could spend a considerable amount of time building something. I'm spending less than a couple hours a week and it's obviously not getting me anywhere. I don't feel like I'm moving myself to be inline with my goals. If I want to gain freedom from a job, I can't continue going this way only quoting 2 contracts a week.

Ever see the movie War Dogs? Great movie, but I'm definitely no where near that level of energy. It would be pretty awesome, though, to have some kind of operation like that.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
On the topic of trying to figure out what more I can do, I found Alex Becker's youtube channel through this forum. He pushes Shopify and his videos are really well made (imo). Then I wandered onto Tanner Fox's channel and he pushes Amazon FBA and retail arbitrage (and walks through how he searches for products).

I'm so conflicted with what I should do. One thing that I know is certain is that I need to stop F'ing around and get busy hustling. I could definitely put a lot more time into ecommerce and try to find a product, which will be taking more direct action toward my goal of freeing my time and getting out of my job. It just feels like I'm giving up on my current business. I just don't know what else I can do to dive head first into the contracting stuff to really build something. It's pretty clear that I am not going to get anywhere quoting for one supplier. I don't know how to break out of the little bubble I'm in to really build the empire I have in my head.

At what point do you say, "it's time to move on?" and have no regrets about it?

Yesterday, I put a lot of time into finishing up my friend's website. I can't say it's the best website ever made, but I think it's a good start for her and I will continue to help her in the future.

I've also had an idea for a website, but I have no idea what tools I'll need to create it. It will require some kind of forum and a database. I don't know of any other website like it out there. Late last year, I started working on it just to try to get something working, but couldn't get one of the parts to work properly. I'm still not really sure where to begin on it. I was playing around with Python in Codecademy yesterday too.

So, I'm trying. I'm a mess right now, though. This progress thread is titled "committing" and I definitely can't say that I have been doing that. And, I'm still "selling myself short" because I don't believe in myself and haven't been doing everything I can to create a better life. It's frustrating and I'm discouraged.

I super appreciate all you guys who have taken the time to offer me advice, whether in this thread or the Inside thread. I'm just feeling a little deflated right now and trying to talk it out so I can sort through my issues.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
On the topic of trying to figure out what more I can do, I found Alex Becker's youtube channel through this forum. He pushes Shopify and his videos are really well made (imo). Then I wandered onto Tanner Fox's channel and he pushes Amazon FBA and retail arbitrage (and walks through how he searches for products).

I'm so conflicted with what I should do. One thing that I know is certain is that I need to stop F'ing around and get busy hustling. I could definitely put a lot more time into ecommerce and try to find a product, which will be taking more direct action toward my goal of freeing my time and getting out of my job. It just feels like I'm giving up on my current business. I just don't know what else I can do to dive head first into the contracting stuff to really build something. It's pretty clear that I am not going to get anywhere quoting for one supplier. I don't know how to break out of the little bubble I'm in to really build the empire I have in my head.

At what point do you say, "it's time to move on?" and have no regrets about it?

Yesterday, I put a lot of time into finishing up my friend's website. I can't say it's the best website ever made, but I think it's a good start for her and I will continue to help her in the future.

I've also had an idea for a website, but I have no idea what tools I'll need to create it. It will require some kind of forum and a database. I don't know of any other website like it out there. Late last year, I started working on it just to try to get something working, but couldn't get one of the parts to work properly. I'm still not really sure where to begin on it. I was playing around with Python in Codecademy yesterday too.

So, I'm trying. I'm a mess right now, though. This progress thread is titled "committing" and I definitely can't say that I have been doing that. And, I'm still "selling myself short" because I don't believe in myself and haven't been doing everything I can to create a better life. It's frustrating and I'm discouraged.

I super appreciate all you guys who have taken the time to offer me advice, whether in this thread or the Inside thread. I'm just feeling a little deflated right now and trying to talk it out so I can sort through my issues.
You're committed to the process and the journey. It's ok to twist and turn, block and tackle.

Not getting feedback from the market is what makes it tough. This is what making your first sale such a sweet thing. It's the feedback you need to make another, and another.

Product-Founder fit. What product/service can *you* offer right now so that you can make a sale within the next 7 days?

If it requires complicated software you've never used, then I'd be concerned you're "building stuff" instead of helping people.

Unless you already know someone who can create this in a couple of days and you've the money lying around to pay to get it done, and can still make a sale in 7 days.

All you really have to do is:

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.

You've already done the first two. Just keep going, but maybe focus on the value you can already offer so that you can make a sale in 7 days?

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
You're committed to the process and the journey. It's ok to twist and turn, block and tackle.

Not getting feedback from the market is what makes it tough. This is what making your first sale such a sweet thing. It's the feedback you need to make another, and another.

Product-Founder fit. What product/service can *you* offer right now so that you can make a sale within the next 7 days?

If it requires complicated software you've never used, then I'd be concerned you're "building stuff" instead of helping people.

Unless you already know someone who can create this in a couple of days and you've the money lying around to pay to get it done, and can still make a sale in 7 days.

All you really have to do is:

You've already done the first two. Just keep going, but maybe focus on the value you can already offer so that you can make a sale in 7 days?

Are you referring to my current contracting business or to moving onto something else?

I've been trying to think of better ways to create value in the government, but I'm not sure what is possible. I'm not very creative when it comes to seeing the opportunities. My uncle has mentioned about calling government departments and asking what they need to buy so that I can open up a line of communication with them as a supplier. I don't even know where to start with that and/or how to pitch to them. I think that will get around having to deal with the competitive quoting and then waiting a week or two to find out I didn't win. I've said it many times, but I constantly tell myself that there has to be a better way to do this. I'm realizing more and more that I didn't know what I was getting myself into and I really had no idea what I was doing.

Part of me wants to get in to something else too. Investing, web design, the website idea that I've had in my head for a few years, something to do with aviation, ecommerce... Yes, I'm all over the place. I've also been trying to think of something related to my line of work.

The one thing that annoys me about my work is that there is no way to stop people from committing crimes. So, then I started thinking about, "what can we do to deter people from committing crimes or what could I create that would help people be more safe and secure?" I don't have anything yet, but I'm trying to figure out what that could be.

It's been hard to commit to the government thing when I feel like I'm just an impostor who wanted to say he started a business. I feel like a sham not having anything tangible to actually sell.

I want to be that guy who just gets sh!t done and doesn't overthink it. I want to create something and crush it. But yet, here I sit like a fish out of water not getting anything accomplished and feeling like I'm making zero progress.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Are you referring to my current contracting business or to moving onto something else?

I've been trying to think of better ways to create value in the government, but I'm not sure what is possible. I'm not very creative when it comes to seeing the opportunities. My uncle has mentioned about calling government departments and asking what they need to buy so that I can open up a line of communication with them as a supplier. I don't even know where to start with that and/or how to pitch to them. I think that will get around having to deal with the competitive quoting and then waiting a week or two to find out I didn't win. I've said it many times, but I constantly tell myself that there has to be a better way to do this. I'm realizing more and more that I didn't know what I was getting myself into and I really had no idea what I was doing.

Part of me wants to get in to something else too. Investing, web design, the website idea that I've had in my head for a few years, something to do with aviation, ecommerce... Yes, I'm all over the place. I've also been trying to think of something related to my line of work.

The one thing that annoys me about my work is that there is no way to stop people from committing crimes. So, then I started thinking about, "what can we do to deter people from committing crimes or what could I create that would help people be more safe and secure?" I don't have anything yet, but I'm trying to figure out what that could be.

It's been hard to commit to the government thing when I feel like I'm just an impostor who wanted to say he started a business. I feel like a sham not having anything tangible to actually sell.

I want to be that guy who just gets sh!t done and doesn't overthink it. I want to create something and crush it. But yet, here I sit like a fish out of water not getting anything accomplished and feeling like I'm making zero progress.
I meant as a side-hustle.

The day you make some money and it's outside of your job is the day you realise you can be independent.

Do anything. Website design for someone sounds like a good place to start. See @Fox's thread.

Have you listened to both the radio interviews linked to in my signature?

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I meant as a side-hustle.

The day you make some money and it's outside of your job is the day you realise you can be independent.

Do anything. Website design for someone sounds like a good place to start. See @Fox's thread.

Have you listened to both the radio interviews linked to in my signature?

You're right. I don't believe that I can really build something that is "something." I think I'm an example of a fixed mindset even when I try to learn so much. I never put it into practice -- and I was thinking earlier and realized that I always try to never lose money so I'm always on the defensive. I can invest my money into an index fund and let it sit there. And I can go and buy some random, useless junk that just turns into spent money. But I rarely willingly try to take the money I have saved for so long and use it in a way that will return more in the future because I subconsciously worry about losing money or that I can't replicate the success that seemingly comes so easy to everyone else. (I'm not seeing the pain and struggles of everyone, I only feel how I feel and I avoid that pain too.)

I've sold things on eBay before, but it was always just one sale at a time. I never had anything that was reoccurring. And I flipped one toy on Amazon that I bought from Walmart just to see if I could sell it. So, I know I can sell some random things here and there, but it's not really creating a business that is going to lead me to gaining my freedom.

I've read Fox's thread and I'm also in the Facebook group. I've learned a lot and it is why I took on redesigning my friend's website. I enjoy the computer coding and creating something. I just haven't taken the steps to reach out to businesses. The course he has created is enticing, I just see the cost and go into defensive mode.

I looked up your radio interviews and listening to the first one, I remember listening to it awhile ago. I am going to listen to both of them again and really focus on what you're saying.

I say thanks a lot, but I really do mean it. It means a lot to me that you're taking the time to respond even when it seems like it might not be getting through to me. haha

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I don't know if this will get seen enough, but I feel bad posting this question in someone else's thread and/or starting a new thread for it.

Ever since I found Alex Becker and Tanner Fox's youtube channels, my Youtube feed is all of their videos and it's even popping up on my Facebook newsfeed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Tanner's Amazon FBA course? Or whether it might be worth checking out?

I'm trying to decide whether I should put the contracting aside for a little bit and go for ecommerce or web design right now, but I'm not sure which one to focus on. Not saying I'm going to take the course, but wasn't sure if anyone had advice on whether it was worth it or not.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I don't know if this will get seen enough, but I feel bad posting this question in someone else's thread and/or starting a new thread for it.

Ever since I found Alex Becker and Tanner Fox's youtube channels, my Youtube feed is all of their videos and it's even popping up on my Facebook newsfeed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Tanner's Amazon FBA course? Or whether it might be worth checking out?

I'm trying to decide whether I should put the contracting aside for a little bit and go for ecommerce or web design right now, but I'm not sure which one to focus on. Not saying I'm going to take the course, but wasn't sure if anyone had advice on whether it was worth it or not.
Other folks start new threads to get feedback about stuff.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

All that free content out there can be useful. Just bear in mind it's often there to turn you into someone else's consumer.

My personal preference for someone who's comfortable at a computer is to ...

Go find someone who needs a website or who needs visitors to that website, and offer to build them a website, or get them more visitors.

Keep asking till someone bites.

Then get to work delivering.

This means you don't dip your hand in your pocket buying courses.

You don't spend any more time vacillating between options.

You don't spend time and money building something that doesn't help anyone.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
All that free content out there can be useful. Just bear in mind it's often there to turn you into someone else's consumer.

My personal preference for someone who's comfortable at a computer is to ...

Go find someone who needs a website or who needs visitors to that website, and offer to build them a website, or get them more visitors.

Keep asking till someone bites.

Then get to work delivering.

This means you don't dip your hand in your pocket buying courses.

You don't spend any more time vacillating between options.

You don't spend time and money building something that doesn't help anyone.

You're right (I've said that before!). I really have what I need now to get started with web design. The big numbers of FBA that he spouts are enticing and I feel like it's either web design or ecommerce that can lead me to where I want to be. It would literally change my life if I had even half the success in web design that @Fox has.

The other ideas I have can wait until I have the ability to focus on a side project. I was actually laying in bed last night with my eyes closed trying to go to sleep and had an idea for a book to write pop into my head. In fact, it's the second idea for a book I've had. I almost jumped out of bed to write down the idea so I wouldn't forget it.

Regarding courses, I have been contemplating Fox's course. I feel like it would be a good way to learn from the best and start with a foundation.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You're right (I've said that before!). I really have what I need now to get started with web design. The big numbers of FBA that he spouts are enticing and I feel like it's either web design or ecommerce that can lead me to where I want to be. It would literally change my life if I had even half the success in web design that @Fox has.

The other ideas I have can wait until I have the ability to focus on a side project. I was actually laying in bed last night with my eyes closed trying to go to sleep and had an idea for a book to write pop into my head. In fact, it's the second idea for a book I've had. I almost jumped out of bed to write down the idea so I wouldn't forget it.

Regarding courses, I have been contemplating Fox's course. I feel like it would be a good way to learn from the best and start with a foundation.
Focus. Forget books. Don't take *any* courses yet.

Get a client (even if a non-paying one).

Do it by Friday.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Focus. Forget books. Don't take *any* courses yet.

Get a client (even if a non-paying one).

Do it by Friday.

To be fair, I have been working on a friend's website for her photography business. I am about 85% finished with it, but it has been slow because I've been having to learn as I go and I work on little pieces at a time trying to organize everything. Also, my "real" job has been busy this month so that has been holding me back as well. It's tough on the days I'm working, but I've been working on fixing the issues I've been having with energy.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
To be fair, I have been working on a friend's website for her photography business. I am about 85% finished with it, but it has been slow because I've been having to learn as I go and I work on little pieces at a time trying to organize everything. Also, my "real" job has been busy this month so that has been holding me back as well. It's tough on the days I'm working, but I've been working on fixing the issues I've been having with energy.
Finish the site and then write/talk about it to others. Use it to gain momentum. Don't lose that momentum by switching to some other project.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.