The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Project Management consultancy

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Hi All!

Is there anyone here running a PM consultancy business/ Project Management services?

I'm experienced and well educated PM working for a large company and want to start doing it on my own.

I will start tomorrow cold mailing companies here in Europe to see how it goes, what are their needs, etc.

After I get fair amount of projects, my plan is to hire more PMs for the work and let myself manage the portfolio.

Is it good idea to start with Freelancer or Fiverr?

Any feedback will be much appreciated :)

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi All!

Is there anyone here running a PM consultancy business/ Project Management services?

I'm experienced and well educated PM working for a large company and want to start doing it on my own.

I will start tomorrow cold mailing companies here in Europe to see how it goes, what are their needs, etc.

After I get fair amount of projects, my plan is to hire more PMs for the work and let myself manage the portfolio.

Cheers!
Start with people you already know?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Thank you guys.

@Merging Left I only know that such platforms are out there, but I have no experience with using them so I have no idea which one is more valuable for a starting such biz.

@Andy Black right now my network is not really impressive

@ZCP IT but I can run projects in different areas. Even if I don't know something, with maniac's approach I will get down to it and learn ;)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
So why should a company hire your consulting firm vs just hiring you as a contractor?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When I was an IT contractor I know the IT PMs were on a higher daily rate, like double.

I have an IT contracting thread somewhere. Might be worth checking out.

gatorgus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
May 17, 2017
Golden, Colorado
Hi All!

Cheers!
I'm considering starting the same PM business model where I live. I think that in addition to pursuing PM's I already know, as Andy Black suggested, I would recruit from my local PMI chapter. They have training events, dinners etc., and many of the participants are out of work or soon to be off-contract PMs who are networking for their next gig.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
thank you guys for your valuable insights. I will start with the portals today and prepare the 'cold email' :) I will start as contractor then hire more PMs on a gig to gig basis when more works pour in. I will keep updates here. Have a great evening!

gatorgus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
May 17, 2017
Golden, Colorado
thank you guys for your valuable insights. I will start with the portals today and prepare the 'cold email' :) I will start as contractor then hire more PMs on a gig to gig basis when more works pour in. I will keep updates here. Have a great evening!
I'm interested in how you word your email to indicate the value you can add over a project manager the company could hire through other channels. Also, will you specifically target companies that already have needs for PMs on local job boards? Or will you just blanket email a bunch of companies? I'm rooting for you, but I'm afraid you'll have a challenge getting responses. Of course if you don't get a response rate you're happy with, there are other avenues to try to meet companies in person. Good luck.

Last edited:

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
I'm interested in how you word your email to indicate the value you can add over a project manager the company could hire through other channels. Also, will you specifically target companies that already have needs for PMs on local job boards? Or will you just blanket email a bunch of companies? I'm rooting for you, but I'm afraid you'll have a challenge getting responses. Of course if you don't get a response rate you're happy with, there are other avenues to try to meet companies in person. Good luck.

I will spend some time to write a quality pitch email :). Since I'm working full time I can't catch everyone at once because I want to keep 100% customer satisfaction rate. I need to start 'slow' and see what is the workload. My plan is to start with sites like upwork, craiglist, etc to find gigs. Other than LinkedIn I don't really know where to look for companies in need so I must spend more time to research this topic. I realize that sending emails may not bring fantastic results but I will see. Right now I am on the side where projects are coming my way (job, internal projects for our offices and manufacturing plants globally)- now I will need to find a way for other ones to pour into my own venture :)

What I have accomplished so far:

1. Business email- gmail had my fav name taken so I got a free .eu domain and directed it to my server. Now I have @my own business email to seem legit from the beginning :)
2. Because I needed to buy a domain, I'm gonna build a one pager landing site- this is not my main focus, I want to get customers first.
3. Booked FB page (to use it in future and avoid someone stealing it).
4. Having a biz email will allow me to create upwork and other accounts using it. This will help keep my personal one clear and easy to manage biz communication.
5. Tonight- account creations in gig sites & craiglist searches & adverts. Here in EU craiglist is not popular but we have other big sites to search through.

Keep ya posted, have a great weekend!

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Alright. Sorry for not posting for a couple of days but I was sick and not really productive. I rarely get sick but when it happens I fell like total crap. I managed to polish my upwork account and today I placed my first bid. Can't wait for the result!

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
Fiverr account is also live and I posted my gig there. I'm not sure if my perception is right but these sites are not really full of PM opportunities. Tomorrow I will start pitching businesses. I'd love to get even a first small gig and build my position :)

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
My profiles are up & running and I started to apply on Upwork. So far no responses.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
What is your elevator pitch?

And if they say 'tell me more'?

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015
What is your elevator pitch?

And if they say 'tell me more'?

I am approaching each job posting individually. I respond to their needs and offer how can I make their job professionally done. No BS, no long letters, not too much BS greatness about me. Summing up- my proposals were not rejected, 4 are still open and others just disappeared. I will see how it goes, it is really the beginning. Now I need to focus more on approaching the companies on web/ search on LinkedIn.

RobiN0963

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 17, 2020
What kind of projects are you going to prepare for? You need to specify the industry you are operating or planning to enter. I would recommend you before starting cold calls and emailing, to look at how others work. We recently found one consulting company on https://barkersprocurement.com/procurement-consultancy but they didn’t call us or emailed us. We looked for different recommendations about this company, and when we started working with them, we were impressed with the quality of their service. So, before you start cold calling your potential clients, think of what you can offer them, and can someone provide you with recommendations.

Last edited:

DChamb3

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 11, 2021
Hi All!

Cheers!
I know this is an older thread, but I was really curious as to how you ended up proceeding with this?

Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.