The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
hey @Fox and others, like Fox I am also wanting to code through pre-built themes, so responsiveness is built-in an so I don't have to struggle through manually entering lines of media queries. If I want to purchase the theme you gave as an example here, and I end up selling that site to clients, I would need to purchase the extended license correct?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 21.24.39.png
Licenses | ThemeForest

I always pay regular licenses. Always.

I buy the theme each time I do a new job though. I have probably bought some over ten times.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
View attachment 16053
Licenses | ThemeForest

I always pay regular licenses. Always.

I buy the theme each time I do a new job though. I have probably bought some over ten times.

Thanks for pointing this out. One thing I don't understand though. They say we can charge clients for products created under regular licenses. But then the regular license column says this:

kGyYi9X.png

Is that not the same thing? Or do they mean a product that's sold more than once?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks for pointing this out. One thing I don't understand though. They say we can charge clients for products created under regular licenses. But then the regular license column says this:

kGyYi9X.png

Is that not the same thing? Or do they mean a product that's sold more than once?

It means if you are reselling it for someone else to use like another template or software.
Just use regular.

RyanSki

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Mar 17, 2014
Here's what I am planning to do, as my close acquaintances are now starting to request websites to showcase their own ventures.

1) Register the domain on their behalf on my own account (I prefer namecheap)
2) Generate an attractive one pager with Material UI, deploy to AWS S3
3) Generate an AWS Lambda function that has my Stripe credentials, and can create a credit charge, which also takes a parameter dictating the exact cost (roughly $15/year for the domain, and a few bucks a month for hosting, so let's say $39.99 a year)
4) Deploy an tiny API with AWS API Gateway that connects my Lambda Function
5) Insert the API gateway SDK into my one page site, and wire up the few lines of code needed to make the request work
6) Profit.

Now you can send your prospective clients a comfortable link to a beautiful site, have all the advantages of static hosting (fast deploys, next-to-nothing overhead/expenses). They can fill in a short form with their credit card data. When they submit this form, your automated serverless architecture will process the transaction, you'll get whatever margin you deem necessary, and your client doesn't even know or care about DNS registars. The whole setup can be done in a few hours and has all the advantages of AWS tier security, while the serverless nature keeps costs down to almost nothing. The overall expenses of this setup should never exceed a few dollars a year, and rarely, if ever, require maintenance.

So you make one page landing pages for businesses for just $40 per year? I'm guessing these landing pages are very basic and similar. I asssume you pick one niche. Could you explain further? How has this worked out for you?

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
I don't pay for the hosting - my client does. So with that in mind I go with GoDaddy. It is super easy for both of us to use, it is a trusted name, and it is easy for them to take it over afterwards.

If they are already with someone I stick with that (if they are happy) and I will do all the set up for them.

I use GoDaddy myself too since I have only had great experiences with them and I don't mind the few extra dollars a month. I know there are probably a million other cheaper or better suppliers but they are fine + I have never had one problem + I will only lose time (way more than the $$$ I gain) switching. I am very loyal to companies that look after me.
I registered my latest domain with GoDaddy and it appears they sold my info on. Now not only have I been put on a load of impossible-to-unsub-from newsletters but I keep getting spammed with "We are a company in India who would love to make you a website" emails also. Not impressed :/

If you do sign up with GD don't use an email address you plan on keeping!

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
I registered my latest domain with GoDaddy and it appears they sold my info on. Now not only have I been put on a load of impossible-to-unsub-from newsletters but I keep getting spammed with "We are a company in India who would love to make you a website" emails also. Not impressed :/

Always buy privacy. It's well worth it. Just wait until you start getting crap in the mail lol

Javin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 5, 2017
At Home

That's because you didn't opt into the additional privacy for a few extra dollars. That's not just a GD thing.

Radu Ionut

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 6, 2016
Germany
How do you convince the decision makers that the websites you are creating are actually creating sales for them? I know some local business owners that are actually doing pretty good without a web site, or a professional website. I have in mind a dentist that I recommend every time I had the opportunity, and a local kebab restaurant, also locally very succesfull because of a superior customer experience.
even after the website is created, how can the bussiness owner will say, geez I have more sales because of that flashy website?

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
That's because you didn't opt into the additional privacy for a few extra dollars. That's not just a GD thing.
I didn't think I needed it, it was a business domain registered at business office which is all public domain in the UK unfortunatly. I didn't realise this opens you up for abuse, damn, my bad!! Thanks!

Javin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 5, 2017
At Home
How do you convince the decision makers that the websites you are creating are actually creating sales for them? I know some local business owners that are actually doing pretty good without a web site, or a professional website. I have in mind a dentist that I recommend every time I had the opportunity, and a local kebab restaurant, also locally very succesfull because of a superior customer experience.
even after the website is created, how can the bussiness owner will say, geez I have more sales because of that flashy website?

That's where you'd need to look into scripting the buttons to talk to something like "Google Analytics" or "Facebook Pixel". So when the button is clicked on a websites form. It shoots the data to one of the above platforms. Then you could give monthly reports of that data, showing the business owner that their web page is in fact converting.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
I prefer Hover for domain registration. They don't charge extra for privacy (costs your registrar NOTHING anyway).

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015

"That's a great question Mr. Buyer, and I'm glad you asked. You should demand to know that kind of information from your website, and there are tools that I insist to install on every site I make that can provide Click Thru Rates and other tools to help you know exactly how your website is performing..."

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
It comes down to problem solving. Everyone pitches websites, not everyone pitches solutions. Actually, you shouldn't be "pitching" anything. You should be asking the right questions. I've only had a few people tell me "I don't really need the internet for business". Did websites for them @ $3k each because I shifted their perception of their website from being "just there" or informative to something actually resourceful and of value.

As far as "proving" things to them, show them analytics. Show, don't tell. "Mr. Prospect, I've done research through google and found (NUMBER) of people in your area are Googling Kebab shops". Okay, that was a lousy example, but you get the idea. Most of the time, though, I haven't had to show anyone anything. It's all about building a relationship, trust, and unloading massive value.

Then again, you'll still get some prospects that just aren't interested. If you show enough value, most people will be into it, though.
Or stop worrying about closing small, unqualified jobs and move on to bigger and better jobs.

Skyizlimit1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jun 14, 2017
PA
Hey @Fox, or anyone that can help me, how do you use the html templates? I'm currently trying to get away from coding inside a website builder (x theme) and purchased Foundry to play with and can't seem to figure out just what to do with it. What's your process like after you purchase foundry/an HTML template?

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Hey @Fox, or anyone that can help me, how do you use the html templates? I'm currently trying to get away from coding inside a website builder (x theme) and purchased Foundry to play with and can't seem to figure out just what to do with it. What's your process like after you purchase foundry/an HTML template?
The template has code in it, and you can see what it looks like. Rather than writing it all from scratch, you can copy and paste various parts that you need such as the nav, the hero image, list items, etc. and adjust to your liking and change around the CSS, etc.

You still need an editor to do that.

Javin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 5, 2017
At Home

Download Brackets. It's an editor that you use to open up the code and modify it.

Skyizlimit1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jun 14, 2017
PA
The template has code in it, and you can see what it looks like. Rather than writing it all from scratch, you can copy and paste various parts that you need such as the nav, the hero image, list items, etc. and adjust to your liking and change around the CSS, etc.

You still need an editor to do that.
Awesome, thank you. I have some experience with brackets. Using the HTML code makes sense now. I'm trying to take, for example, the navbar from the HTML file in foundry and put it into a new project, do I have to style my own css around it? Where do I find the css for the HTML? I can't seem to find it within Foundry. I just don't know what the process is for making a website using it. I've googled it but can't seem to find anything. I'm a complete noob to the process, my apologies haha.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Awesome, thank you. I have some experience with brackets. Using the HTML code makes sense now. I'm trying to take, for example, the navbar from the HTML file in foundry and put it into a new project, do I have to style my own css around it? Where do I find the css for the HTML? I can't seem to find it within Foundry. I just don't know what the process is for making a website using it. I've googled it but can't seem to find anything. I'm a complete noob to the process, my apologies haha.

Hey, Fox made a video explaining all this here:
View: https://youtu.be/hNPrtZU72vE

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
The theme most definitely has CSS otherwise it wouldn't look the way it does. Look in the HTML head and see where its saved to or search thru all the folders for style.css

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Hey @Fox, just wanted to say thanks for this fantastic thread. I'm looking to get started here but caught in a bit of analysis paralysis... The first site I'm thinking of doing is for someone close to me who owns a car dealership. My concern here is that this isn't a particularly static website as they do run promotions and different deals, new cars, etc. I was wondering if maybe WordPress wold work better for them as they will likely need to manage the website on a semi-often basis. Was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this. thanks!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox, just wanted to say thanks for this fantastic thread. I'm looking to get started here but caught in a bit of analysis paralysis... The first site I'm thinking of doing is for someone close to me who owns a car dealership. My concern here is that this isn't a particularly static website as they do run promotions and different deals, new cars, etc. I was wondering if maybe WordPress wold work better for them as they will likely need to manage the website on a semi-often basis. Was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this. thanks!

Hi and thanks. You could build a static site that links to their FB page (they can upload cars there) or that just grabs their email and phone number (they can email them the current car listings sheet). This cuts down on work for your client and is much easier for them to manage. They would probably prefer to upload content on an FB page than learn WP or pay you to do it. Id pitch it that way.

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Do you think its possible to do all this in 9 months even if someone has a full time job? For example, I work full time and make roughly 60k a year. I am trying to break six figures so I would have to make atleast 40k in my side hustle creating websites for companies. However, how realistic is this?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Do you think its possible to do all this in 9 months even if someone has a full time job? For example, I work full time and make roughly 60k a year. I am trying to break six figures so I would have to make atleast 40k in my side hustle creating websites for companies. However, how realistic is this?

Depends on the person but if you check the FB page people have made massive progress in shorts amount of time. I have had a half dozen people quit their job already which is quite cool. One guy has a full blown team at the moment. I was about 10k shy of 100k first year (but I was full time) but I also didnt have a clue what I was doing for the first six months. It is definitely possible but it will take some hard work.

yyes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2017
Boise Idaho
Depends on the person but if you check the FB page people have made massive progress in shorts amount of time. I have had a half dozen people quit their job already which is quite cool. One guy has a full blown team at the moment. I was about 10k shy of 100k first year (but I was full time) but I also didnt have a clue what I was doing for the first six months. It is definitely possible but it will take some hard work.

Thanks for the reply Fox. It also sounds like you have to get familiar with copywriting, Google Adwords, and SEO. From my understanding, its not just about building the website but we would also have to find keywords to generate traffic for the person or business that way they can get more business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.