The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The interesting part of this fight for me is that Conor is so good at the trash talking and mind/mental games.. It was definitely noticeable in the press conferences.. Things like Mayweather wearing lifts the 2nd conference i think and being called out on it and not wearing them for the next conferences.. If he knew about the height difference he would have worn lifts straight away.. the fact he wore lifts the second time show's he noticed and cared...

If look at Conor's mma fights the verbal trash talk causes the opponents to want to knock him out be more aggressive.. Which i don't think Mayweather will fall prey to but i can see Conor laying on the canvas mocking Mayweather's lack of aggresiveness early on, Or enticing the crowd to mock him.. It would be hilarious seeing Conor run from Mayweather or keep his distance just to show that Mayweather isn't coming after him because that is never Mayweather's style.. Would be great if they mic'd the fighters during the fight..

I think Conor's foot work closing distance has been overlooked maybe i'm biased but mma seems to require fighters to cover greater distance moving in and out to avoid kicks and take downs.. where as boxing the distances is more a walking quick step..

The fact he got this fight show's Conor knows how to get things done.. The gloves being changed is something that has never happened i don't think in a Mayweather fight.. Which physically doesn't have a big impact but i think it shows that he has Mayweather thinking differently than when the contract was drawn up..

Also as a fan of both sports Conor is just an exciting fighter.. So win or lose something will be happening..

Don't remember the last time have seen a fighter just try to go balls out against Mayweather.. Conor really has nothing to lose in trying that at some point.. Will probably make him more popular if he did win or lose..

Of course the other guy in the ring the ref will play a big part.. early stoppage, how handle clinch etc..

Or the whole thing could be fixed to begin with..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Let's hope for an exciting fight.

This. My fear is something nutty happens, and it ends in the first round. If it goes at least 2 rounds, and resembles a boxing match, I will be happy.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
50-0

rgl8EMaA.jpg

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
It's ALWAYS process>event.

Respect to both fighters but the result was pretty obvious from the start.

I wouldn't say the result was obvious. Most long time fight fans, me included, thought Mayweather would KO McGreggor in round 1-3. Honestly, I'm shocked McGreggor lasted to round 10 and that he even threatened Mayweather. McGreggor didn't even get knocked down.

This really shows me that TIME is a more important factor than process. McGreggor is 11 years younger than Mayweather. No amount of process can make up for the cost of an aging body (slower reflexes, slower speed, etc.).

Mayweather still won and that's all that matters. I was just expecting a Mike Tyson length fight.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
No matter the result, Conor put up a hell of a fight. Boxers and a bunch of people said he would get destroyed, wouldn't get a single hit on Mayweather, and that he would have no chance. He did an excellent job at keeping up with Floyd's angles and you could see he gave him a hard time. He put up a terrfic fight. Well Mayweather can retire being 50-0, that's pretty incredible. And now @AgainstAllOdds I owe you $1000

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I wouldn't say the result was obvious. Most long time fight fans, me included, thought Mayweather would KO McGreggor in round 1-3. Honestly, I'm shocked McGreggor lasted to round 10 and that he even threatened Mayweather. McGreggor didn't even get knocked down.

This really shows me that TIME is a more important factor than process. McGreggor is 11 years younger than Mayweather. No amount of process can make up for the cost of an aging body (slower reflexes, slower speed, etc.).

Mayweather still won and that's all that matters. I was just expecting a Mike Tyson length fight.
That's silly though. Mayweather is not Tyson. He has not knocked anyone out in half a decade. That's not his game. He is a hit & don't get hit fighter (which casual boxing fans hate about him). The result was obvious

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
just saw on youtube, lol didn't know mcgregor had such weak stamina, and at 29 years old as a professional athlete, that's amazing.

Tomek Starosta

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 17, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Most long time fight fans, me included, thought Mayweather would KO McGreggor in round 1-3.

Why, exactly, would Floyd go fishing for a KO early? It would have put him at risk of Conor landing a lucky shot and destroying his whole legacy.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
In the UFC, Jon Jones and JDS just popped for steroids. Daniel Cormier may retire. Anothony Johnson retired. Ronda Rousey is basically retired. Brock Lesnar popped for steroids and went back to WWE.

Even though Conor lost this boxing match, his stock is way up in the UFC, and he is now the only remaining "star". I expect his price to go WAY up. Also, a bunch of ex-UFC fighters are trying to start a union for MMA fighters, to get more money and health benefits for the fighters.

I have to wonder how the execs at WME-IMG, who just bought the UFC for $4B, are feeling right now.

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I haven't seen the fight yet, but it sounds like Mayweather was never in any danger, and just let Conor punch himself out. Similar to Conor and Nate's first fight. Hopefuly Conor didn't get his brains scrambled, even though that is apparently what he preferred to a stoppage. At this point in Conor's career, I would prefer he retire with his $100M and start a chain of MMA schools in Ireland, and then spread them to America. If he keeps fighting, and eventually he will lose more fights, it will make him look more normal.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
McGregor put his name on the line, took on an impossible fight, and gave it all he got. He is now one of the biggest sporting names on the planets, has MASSIVE global respect, and obviously took home a huge purse.

He took the paradigm of UFC guys fighting for 30k a fight and made his own rules. Jumping weight division to jumping sports - no one has done this stuff before.

When he won that first UFC fight he was pumped to win a 60k bonus. Last night he made close to 1800 times that.

From being on social welfare, to calling out the biggest name in boxing, and giving IMO a hell of an entertaining fight the guy is a complete legend. It's insane he got in a ring first pro fight ever and made it to round ten. Most pros work their way up from six round fights.

To me he fought like a champion and clearly had the heart and soul of a winner. He could have stayed in his original division and probably kept a winning streak for a long time but he prefers to go for near impossible fights. In his own words he is looking to make as much money as possible and get out - he is definitely winning his own game.

Last edited:

Caramel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 19, 2017
The Netherlands
McGregor put his name on the line, took on an impossible fight, and gave it all he got. He is now one of the biggest sporting names on the planets, has MASSIVE global respect, and obviously took home a huge purse.

This sums it up perfectly.

Even after the fight was over due to technical knockout he said "they should've let me keep going. I was just fatigued. Let him take me down so I can get back up again". If those are not the words of a champion then I don't know what are.

Obviously the entire event was an absolute titan. Like others said, people have hyped this up as some "Batman vs Superman" or "Goku vs Naruto" thing far before the event was ever announced. Then they made it happen and holy hell, it sure has packed out well.

I do have to wonder what Mcgregor's thought process has been this entire event. I think there's a strong possibility he knew it would be nearly impossible to win. But obviously practicing boxing for a couple of months for a chance to beat Mayweather and a huge sack of money like that is worth it, Whether you win or lose.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I haven't seen the fight yet, but it sounds like Mayweather was never in any danger, and just let Conor punch himself out. Similar to Conor and Nate's first fight. Hopefuly Conor didn't get his brains scrambled, even though that is apparently what he preferred to a stoppage. At this point in Conor's career, I would prefer he retire with his $100M and start a chain of MMA schools in Ireland, and then spread them to America. If he keeps fighting, and eventually he will lose more fights, it will make him look more normal.
Yes, that is what happened to a T

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
I don't think it will be a walk over though because that's not Floyd's style. I think he'll hold back and be his usual defensive self in the first few rounds. Then I reckon he'll get him by TKO/KO in the 8/9th round after he's sussed McGregor out.

I want to be able to see how Conor could win, but I just can't see it!

Well, I was close to calling it! He put up a good fight though!

He said in a post match interview that he felt tired, rather than hurt, but I really don't think this was the case. In the same interview, he kept repeating himself and you could tell by looking in his eyes that he wasn't aware that he was saying what he just said 1 minute ago. I think he was actually slightly concussed.

I think the ref stopped it at about the right time before any serous damage was done!

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Well, I was close to calling it! He put up a good fight though!

He said in a post match interview that he felt tired, rather than hurt, but I really don't think this was the case. In the same interview, he kept repeating himself and you could tell by looking in his eyes that he wasn't aware that he was saying what he just said 1 minute ago. I think he was actually slightly concussed.

I think the ref stopped it at about the right time before any serous damage was done!
Definitely... Conor said he wanted to go on, but the tape said differently. He was visibly gassed by round 6, seemingly by design. By round 8-9 he was only defending with his face and in #10 he looked drunk. Sure they could have let him hit the mat, but why? He wasn't even fighting back anymore. Getting punched in the head over and over is not a good look

That payday will change his life forever though, so good on him

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Sure they could have let him hit the mat, but why?

Conor said he wanted to get knocked down, so that he could take an 8 second rest before the fight continued. When he said that, he still appeared to be a little out of it. He also said he had some kind of psychological issue where he appears to get physically tired in the middle of a fight, but he's really not tired, and it just takes him a minute to snap out of it. It was hard to tell if he was concussed, insane, or really believed what he was saying.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
That was a good fight.

Now put Mayweather in an Octagon and see if he can make it 10 rounds.
Not a huge fan, but I believe MMA fights only go max 3 rounds or 5 for a title fight (part of the reason for the difference in conditioning).

Highly doubt Mayweather would ever put himself at that kind of disadvantage though
Conor said he wanted to get knocked down, so that he could take an 8 second rest before the fight continued. When he said that, he still appeared to be a little out of it. He also said he had some kind of psychological issue where he appears to get physically tired in the middle of a fight, but he's really not tired, and it just takes him a minute to snap out of it. It was hard to tell if he was concussed, insane, or really believed what he was saying.
Conor stopped defending himself 3 rounds ago. He was done

Twitter - Video of Last Round

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
That was a good fight.

Now put Mayweather in an Octagon and see if he can make it 10 rounds.

It was a good fight. I put a bet on McGregor winning straight up up afterward realized I should have used expected value and bet on Mayweather winning in later rounds given their backgrounds (mma is only 25 minutes). Wife and I had the pleasure of attending (benefit of living in Vegas and having friends with connections - didn't pay 5k for tickets).
03022a223bd82d305860968584568095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Seeing I am someone who paid for MMA and other PPV fights before, I was happy it went longer than 19.4 seconds.

The conditioning of Mayweather was just incredible. He didn't even look like he was sweating or panting. That had to be demoralizing for Conor to be gassing out in the later rounds and your opponent is just sitting there like he's waiting for dinner to be served.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
Anyone dare to go check the comments on social media about this fight?

Anytime I'm unfortunate enough to spot some of the peanut galleries comments, it always reminds me of this quote :
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Another interesting thing about all this, Is that McGregor became the highest paid boxer other than Mayweather I think.. You would think that over the last 10years of Mayweather doing his promoting and how he manages himself other boxers would be trying to mimic that.. McGregor at some point learned that being the best MMA fighter or this case best boxer doesn't matter if he want's to make the most money..
Am sure must be a lesson or better way of putting it..
Somewhere in the world there could be a zen monk type practicing boxer that only care's to perfect his boxing technique and will never make a dollar since is not his goal... Where as someone who want's the money etc.. will do mma if need be or box if need be to satisfy and achieve his goal..

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I'm going to book-mark my comment here; but 95% chance that Mayweather will come out of "retirement" again for an even bigger purse, whether that's for another "show fight" like this or possibly even another un-defeated champ who will rise through the ranks.

I say this because watching Floyd, I can tell he's a bit bored in his life. He's reached a pinnacle in life where if it's not for a certain purpose (in which case; I think boxing fulfills him as well as the spotlight of the nation) - he's sad from missing the void no matter how much money he has.

But has to be within the next 5 years, as I don't think he'll fight again after 45 years old.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.