The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Doubts

OK1988

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Aug 19, 2017
Israel
I have a great idea that can provide great value, and already started working on it. The problem is that sometimes i doubt this idea and tell myself "this is not going to work" or "the world doesn't need this product" and "your'e wasting your time".

What do you do when doubts creep in?
What are your ways to validate an idea before deciding to work on it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sanjeevm301

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2017
IN
I have a great idea that can provide great value, and already started working on it. The problem is that sometimes i doubt this idea and tell myself "this is not going to work" or "the world doesn't need this product" and "your'e wasting your time".

I also have one idea, whenever i have doubt over that, I listen steav jobs Stanford University speech where he said that we can not connect dots of success of failure till we start. So instead of thinking over doubt, think over improving the idea [emoji362].

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Caramel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 19, 2017
The Netherlands
I think it's important to remember that failing won't kill you.

Also, I believe that a lot of people getting into this mindset (fastlane, entrepreneur, value) vastly overestimate how much success their product needs to have for them to earn a lot of money and influence people's lives.
Your product doesn't have to be the next big thing that you'll find in every household (though obviously that's the dream).

Even the smallest countries have millions of households, let alone the entire world. why wouldn't a few hundred thousand want your product?

Last edited:

Gigi Rodgers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
May 30, 2017
Shanghai, China
Test it.

And here are two ways (out of the many) to do that.
  1. Go on sites like Quora, Reddit, or any other online forum - and look up the problem that people are complaining about.
    Are you fixing this problem? Great. If not, do a deep dive into EXACTLY what they're complaining about and then tweak your product/service to fix that problem. This way, at least you know you have a market for it.
  2. Create the SIMPLEST form of this product/service and share it with your audience. Get their feedback. Give them a safe space to rip the project apart and tell you what is, and what is not working. What makes sense and what's confusing. What features they want and what features don't matter. Build it from the ground up with their input.

This guy used scraps of paper - PAPER! - to test out his idea for his product, which is now a full-fledged card game.
Remember, people aren't buying a product or service, they're buying a solution to their problem.
Don't get romantic about your product, calling it "your baby". Be ready to scrap baby if it's not solving your markets needs.
It's not about "your baby", it's about what your market is willing to pay for.

So make sure you test EARLY before spending too much time an energy on your product/service.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
Also I wonder " What is the worst thing that can happen ? "

And then I realize if I fail, it means a loss of time and a few $$$, but also a great experience thats gonna be valuable for my future projects. So for me, starting my business is also some kind of investment in my education.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona

Some of the validation advise already posted is gold. But beyond that, even if the idea is validated, there will STILL be an element of uncertainty. It is not guaranteed. You still need to act to find out if the market wants your product. Acting in spite of uncertainty is kind of what the game is.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
View it as part of your story; it'll help you to understand that you just need to work through it to completion, not quit in the middle of a chapter.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
What helps me is to not give myself too much time to over-think.

To worry.

To be afraid.

To doubt.

I found that the best way to fight doubt is to take action.

I'd suggest to take baby-steps, get feedback from your market as early as possible and adjust accordingly.

Try to get paid to learn your market while you build a solution for your clients' needs and wants.

Before you invest a lot of time and money into building something, you could test the waters with...

...email list subscriptions.

...beta tester sign ups.

...paying clients.

...etc.

Try to avoid being in your head only.

Give people the chance to tell you what they think/need/want.

Engage the market from day 1.

And never stop!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
62eaaeaff11854dd7fa456e94f66a5f1--teaching-posters-classroom-posters.jpg

OK1988

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Aug 19, 2017
Israel
Test it.

And here are two ways (out of the many) to do that.
  1. Go on sites like Quora, Reddit, or any other online forum - and look up the problem that people are complaining about.
    Are you fixing this problem? Great. If not, do a deep dive into EXACTLY what they're complaining about and then tweak your product/service to fix that problem. This way, at least you know you have a market for it.
  2. Create the SIMPLEST form of this product/service and share it with your audience. Get their feedback. Give them a safe space to rip the project apart and tell you what is, and what is not working. What makes sense and what's confusing. What features they want and what features don't matter. Build it from the ground up with their input.

This guy used scraps of paper - PAPER! - to test out his idea for his product, which is now a full-fledged card game.
Remember, people aren't buying a product or service, they're buying a solution to their problem.
Don't get romantic about your product, calling it "your baby". Be ready to scrap baby if it's not solving your markets needs.
It's not about "your baby", it's about what your market is willing to pay for.

So make sure you test EARLY before spending too much time an energy on your product/service.

Actually, something was bothering me, but then i decided to create a survey and i got some really interesting insights, and that was my a ha moment.

Thank you for your tips, i will definitely implement them!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.