The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What laptop should a starting online entrepreneur buy?

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Yes, one of my IT friends has told me the same thing. I was lucky both when it comes to price and the condition. The big shock about the listing and price is that the reason he decided to sell it was that he wanted a bigger screen because.. *drumroll* he was a programmer. So you can imagine my confusion. Maybe someone else started this action for him? No idea, especially that there's an i7 sticker. I later asked him why he listed it so, and he didn't seem to care to elaborate on that ("hmm.. Yeah? I don't know") when we spoke on the phone as he wanted to ask if I like the laptop, how was the shipping etc. Weirdest and luckiest auction ever. Anyway, a recommend and looks like many people in this topic are on the same page.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I think a far better investment for you would be to get an USB powered monitor.

How have I not heard of this?!

This is going to be an instant purchase with my next laptop. That's Amazing.

It changes the game from having a "travel laptop" to having a "travel workstation". Thanks for this.

Caramel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 19, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes, one of my IT friends has told me the same thing. I was lucky both when it comes to price and the condition. The big shock about the listing and price is that the reason he decided to sell it was that he wanted a bigger screen because.. *drumroll* he was a programmer. So you can imagine my confusion. Maybe someone else started this action for him? No idea, especially that there's an i7 sticker. I later asked him why he listed it so, and he didn't seem to care to elaborate on that ("hmm.. Yeah? I don't know") when we spoke on the phone as he wanted to ask if I like the laptop, how was the shipping etc. Weirdest and luckiest auction ever. Anyway, a recommend and looks like many people in this topic are on the same page.

Most programmers I know are clueless when it comes to hardware. Which is okay, ofcourse. They're into software, not hardware.

Maybe he just looked up his laptop model on Google, and got redirected to a page displaying a newer or better version of his model.

Either way, win-win for you!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My office PC is seriously nothing special. Spent less than $500 on it I think. Discount processor + 8 gigs of generic ram with a solid state drive:

upload_2017-8-19_11-8-26.png

With this discount build, I go from "off" to editing in Photoshop in 40 seconds:

Now, this isn't a laptop, but this is why I'm an SSD pimp when these subjects come up. I'd have recorded my Lenovo boot time but nobody has 10 minutes to watch that bullshit.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How have I not heard of this?!

This is going to be an instant purchase with my next laptop. That's Amazing.

It changes the game from having a "travel laptop" to having a "travel workstation". Thanks for this.

Just ordered this on Amazon.

I can't wait to never click between things again. Especially for typing customer addresses... what a pain!

This is going to save me several frustration-filled minutes a day

I found out about this when my brother got one. In fact, he is doing 3 monitors now. 2 USB powered and his laptop. You can look like a douche and take over the entire row of tray tables in an airplane if you sit in the middle seat! LOL

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Question regarding SSD hard drives.

Is it just faster when loading programs like excel and word? How does it affect your web browsing? Is the bottleneck still the internet connection then?

I managed to fill up my 500GB HD on my desktop. I use dropbox and after all these years, my ecommerce businesses have amassed a ton of video and photo files. That's why SSD hasn't been appealing to me as the drives are too small. Can I do an SSD for operating system and have a 2nd HD in a laptop? I'm not interested in a external HD for a laptop.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Is it just faster when loading programs like excel and word? How does it affect your web browsing? Is the bottleneck still the internet connection then?

I managed to fill up my 500GB HD on my desktop. I use dropbox and after all these years, my ecommerce businesses have amassed a ton of video and photo files. That's why SSD hasn't been appealing to me as the drives are too small. Can I do an SSD for operating system and have a 2nd HD in a laptop? I'm not interested in a external HD for a laptop.

It's faster when loading all software since it has no "drive" that needs to turn like HD. For web browsing depends on internet connection.

It would be wise to use an SSD for your main workstation and programs like Excel and Word, and a huge HD for storing your files (like I do on my desktop). But I don't think you can have both in a laptop (and also the main reason why I own a desktop). Maybe NAS or homeserver would be an option for you.

Edit: see more specific and technical explanation below.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

The SSD removes the latency of the hard drive as the bottleneck to system performance. Any task that involves fetching data locally will be dramatically sped up. You also don't have to worry about windows fragmenting your drive, since data retrieval is so fast it really doesn't matter if it's spread across separate sectors. This means no more time spent defragging your system.

General tasks (such as loading software into RAM) will see some speedup from an SSD, although RAM is a bigger constraint there. Having more, and faster RAM, will give you a bigger boost than getting an SSD - though you do get a noticeable boost when switching from a hard drive to an SSD.

In web browsing the biggest constraint is network requests to and from the website. Very little data is loaded locally - even if you cache a bunch of images and revisit the same sites over and over again, the difference is going to be marginal.

You can certainly use an SSD for your OS and a regular hard drive for long term data storage. I'd recommend a 250GB drive for OS. 120GB is generally too small since windows is such a pig.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

So the BEST option in your case would be a dual-drive setup.
An SSD AND a mechanical.

- The SSD gets used for all your programs. This means the OS, excel, photoshop, word, chrome, etc... everything that "runs" goes on the SSD.
- The normal HDD gets used for all your "data". This is video files, photos, and all the stuff you generally open in your programs.

The SSD significantly reduces load time. This is why in the video I posted a few moments ago my pc turns on and I can open photoshop in less than 40 seconds. Chrome opens instantly. Same with word, excel, etc... I barely see splash screens on opening anything because they just pop open right away. I can restart my pc and be ready to work again in less time than it takes to go to the kitchen, pour another coffee, and come back.

Accessing data, however, doesn't need to be that quick. Pretty much anything you do from a loading data perspective is already next to immediate, even on a normal hard drive.

A good work-around for this if you can't find a laptop that supports dual harddrives is to use a newer USB 3 external hard drive for data storage. Also means you can move back and forth between a work pc and laptop by just plugging in the hard drive.

To answer this question though:

How does it affect your web browsing? Is the bottleneck still the internet connection then?

It won't speed up your internet connection (downloads / uploads won't happen faster) but if you experience chrome being a bit slow, or your browser takes a while to open new tabs, open the program, etc... then all the "program" related stuff will be extremely faster.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks everyone. I'm not quite there yet then. I don't usually sit there and complain about my PC speed in loading things. It's mostly web stuff that I think is too slow.

LRG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
363%
Apr 14, 2016

Buy a 1TB SSD for $300. That's what I did. Problem solved.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
What set up would you guys recommend for a PPC freelancing set up?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Buy a 1TB SSD for $300. That's what I did. Problem solved.

Yes, but that effectively doubles the price of my laptop. And I don't think I get $300 worth of efficiency out of it.

Caramel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 19, 2017
The Netherlands
Can I do an SSD for operating system and have a 2nd HD in a laptop? I'm not interested in a external HD for a laptop.

Maybe I missed it, but which laptop do you have?

A lot of laptops either have a second slot for a hard disk, or you could always bust out the DVD-drive and replace it with a hard disk.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
And I don't think I get $300 worth of efficiency out of it.

Yeah, dual drive is really the way to go. You can get two internal hard drives in most laptops. Sometimes it means losing the cd drive (which literally nothing NEEDS anymore - hell even Windows comes on USB drives now)

There's zero benefit IMHO to using a SSD for file storage. It's main and most important benefit is related to program load and run times. So any dollar spent on SSD storage is a waste.

That being said. I couldn't even put a price on how much more efficiency I get out of my 128GB SSD for running programs. Far more than $300. In fact at this point I just straight up will not buy a computer without one so the cost of not having one might as well be infinite.

So in short: I would never use a laptop/pc without a SSD for running programs on, but every dollar spent on file storage with an SSD is wasted. That's my 2 cents anyway.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
and do light video stitching together for FB ads.

So I'm just about to start getting into making video ads for FB.

What software/programs do you use for video editing? Pros/cons of said software?

Just looking for something that is intuitive and easy-ish to learn, that is powerful enough to do whatever I would want to do.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I found out about this when my brother got one. In fact, he is doing 3 monitors now. 2 USB powered and his laptop. You can look like a douche and take over the entire row of tray tables in an airplane if you sit in the middle seat! LOL

Holy cow, this monitor is so light, and it came with a soft case... bonus. I think I literally wouldn't notice it if I put in my backpack with my laptop. Perfect mobile workstation.

Photo_Aug_20_9_22_22_AM.jpg

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

What software/programs do you use for video editing? Pros/cons of said software?

Just looking for something that is intuitive and easy-ish to learn, that is powerful enough to do whatever I would want to do.

The GoPro app Splice on IOS is super easy to use and comes with a lot of background music.

I can make video and put it all together using just my iPhone. It makes "good enough" video for short FB ads. Nothing fancy.

Ironic that I end up recommending using the phone after all this laptop talk.

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Holy cow, this monitor is so light, and it came with a soft case... bonus. I think I literally wouldn't notice it if I put in my backpack with my laptop. Perfect mobile workstation.

Is it a standalone computer or a dual screen? Looks nifty

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
SSD is pointless for storage UNLESS you are hosting a server, where they become pretty pointful due to super quick random file access times (no spindle to power up for example) they also don't require defragmentation like a HDD with a lot of writes does.

blong00

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 1, 2016
Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti - 1TB Hard Drive + 128GB SSD - Black

I just bought this and waiting for it to get shipped in a week. I'm basically trying to do the same thing you're doing (build websites, video editing, adobe photoshop and illustrator, and maybe some light gaming) and was buying in your price range. This laptop can do all of that and the new shipment comes with a nice IPS screen.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
The GoPro app Splice on IOS is super easy to use and comes with a lot of background music.

I can make video and put it all together using just my iPhone. It makes "good enough" video for short FB ads. Nothing fancy.

Ironic that I end up recommending using the phone after all this laptop talk.

That's really interesting. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Is it a standalone computer or a dual screen? Looks nifty

It's just a USB screen that plugs into the laptop. Super light. It's whichever one @biophase recommended earlier in the thread.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

I've used open shot a fair amount ( it's free and works on Linux ) and think it's solid for simple editing. It won't get you into the pro tier of video editing, but the price is right and it's straight forward to use. It's very similar to camtasia, if you've ever used that.

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia

Been looking for a USB monitor as well.

How do you find the color accuracy and viewing angle / glare?

In some reviews they said it can be an issue for photo editing because the colors looked different compared to other monitors and the viewing angle was limited due to anti-glare surface.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

In some reviews they said it can be an issue for photo editing because the colors looked different compared to other monitors and the viewing angle was limited due to anti-glare surface.

Angle/glare doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Looks to be a wide range, and it's veiwable from the entire range.

Colors look the same to me as on my laptop... but I'm no pro photographer. I have no complaints though.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

I think ASUS makes some that have an IPS panel - those will probably be better for color accuracy and viewing angle. The one that biophase posted is a TN panel I believe, which is great for low price but not so great for quality

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
i have a 17" toshiba i carry to/from office with 27" monitor at office, and a 32 at home. i'm holding off getting reader glasses by having larger screens ;) SSD is nice, heck my samsung phone came with a 256g microsd card. unreal. i think the latest USB is plenty fast access so 1TB external USB storage (i think now under 100 bucks) is fast as mechanical hard drive, in addition to server at the office. tons of storage options not to mention online, and just keep active files on SSD for quickest access.

i bought a few new acer 15.6" just under $400 for employees with new processor that brags a 12 hr battery life as they are more mobile around the my manufacturing facility.

i got 100Gigabit coming into office but recently found out we were using an old 10Gigabit hub. cutting 90% the speed at the front door, ooooops.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.