The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Australian and Canadian Folks...

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi guys,

I have been living in Ireland for roughly ten years. I've come over here from Spain, where we spent 3 years. I am 25 now, living in a comfort zone and not really progressing anywhere in life. I am surrounded by the same people, life isn't challenging nor rewarding due to my addiction to comfort zone.

I am university educated, with five years office experience and in a progress of opening my semi automated business.

I have roughly €10k in savings and am looking to emigrate to either Australia or Canada. I have never been there before, but those two countries are most appealing to me due to their culture and business environment.

Can someone who's living in abovementioned countries provide some feedback or suggestions? Anything related to relocation.

I would be willing to work anything. No matter how challenging it is and hustle on the side. I simply want to move out of my comfort zone.

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
I've lived in Vancouver from 0-18 years old and lived in Sydney from 18-23 years old.

I'm now a 23 year old tech entrepreneur.

I've launched multiple ventures in Sydney and also understand the business environment in Vancouver.

Let's talk via DM to see if we can connect.

--

Vancouver and Sydney both recently ranked around the same on the global start up index of top start up cities at around #16-#18, so you're choosing good business cities.

Both are the most liveable (and most expensive) cities in the world, so keep in mind that you'll likely need income whilst living here once the $17K CAD/AUD runs out.

However, you can always live in the outer suburbs of these cities (Eg. Vancouver/Sydney metro) where it is more affordable.

I can help you get set up here and we can potentially even do some business.

Do you know when you would be coming?

Jimyy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Feb 3, 2017
Perth Australia
Depending on your profession a long term visa to Australia may also be a problem, check your options there. I second the above, living costs are high, with your cash you'd need to hit the ground running.

Amazing lifestyle though.

DanInSyd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Nov 7, 2016
I havent been to Vancouver, but i hear great things about it.

I do live in Sydney though, and its a great city. There is plenty of business going on right now, that's for sure. As mentioned above, it is an expensive place to live though.

Numbeo is a good place to start, and this is a summary of what they have to say:

You would need around 1,112.04€ (1,649.35A$) in Sydney to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 1,000.00€ in Dublin (assuming you rent in both cities).
Indices Difference
Consumer Prices in Sydney are 5.54% higher than in Dublin
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Sydney are 11.20% higher than in Dublin
Rent Prices in Sydney are 20.42% higher than in Dublin
Restaurant Prices in Sydney are 15.37% lower than in Dublin
Groceries Prices in Sydney are 23.85% higher than in Dublin
Local Purchasing Power in Sydney is 23.87% higher than in Dublin

As you're only 25, you should be able to get on to the working holiday visa pretty easily, which will get you here for a year. There is an option to extend, but bear in mind you will have to spend about 3 months of that working rurally. I assume you are a Spanish passport holder, so you can find the info here: Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) . There are opportunities for sponsorship after that, but its unlikely that Entrepreneurship is one of them, so look into the 'sponsored visa's' section too think longer term. Australia is very difficult to get in to, and to stay. (I'm lucky that my wife is a citizen, although my visa was still over AU$5k!)

I don't have any business for you, but all i can say is that I have really enjoyed my first year here, its a very outdoors living kind of place, and the weather is great.

All the Best,
Dan

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Wanna come to Canada?

The short answer is: don't, it's not worth it.

The long answer is: it's not easy, but it's possible. Not only that, if you're able to get funding for a business that (1) operates in Canada and (2) is funded by a Canadian group, you could move to Canada under a start-up visa.

Canada is a very difficult country to immigrate to. I would know: I'm doing the process now. There aren't provisions in the law that will allow you to sit illegally and then immigrate legally like in the US.

If you want to live here part of the year and own property here, that's honestly more reasonable. Depending on your citizenship + the visa you get, you may be able to chill in Canada for half the year (aka spring, summer, and fall). US citizens don't need a visa, but it seems that you are not one, so you'll need one to visit. But Canada will let you stay a while, most likely.

Property ranges from 'pretty cheap' to 'holy F*ck expensive'. It's only pretty cheap in the places nobody wants to live. Rents, same deal.

But immigrating here is difficult. There are pretty strict quotas. You're an EU citizen, which means that moving to Ireland was probably pretty easy but moving to Canada absolutely will not be. Even if your English/French were perfect, they require a test to prove it. If you're not married to a Canadian or working a funded business, you need to immigrate under something called the Canadian Experience Class, which requires Canadian work experience.

Your 10k euros should be enough to prove sufficient funding to support yourself IF you wanted to actually move here.

Immigration and citizenship

Give a Canadian city a visit sometime and see how you like it. Moving here isn't an easy thing.

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I'm Canadian and have lived in Australia for 20 years, so I'm familiar with both.

Sydney is stupidly expensive by any measure as @DanInSyd mentioned.

The problem with migrating now to Canada or Australia is that the qualification process - the immigration process is geared towards importing skilled labour in areas where there are skill shortages.

Business owners can qualify for a particular class of Visa in Australia but you need to basically be running a business doing over AUD$500,000 for a couple years and have $500,000 in net assets.

The days of just moving to Australia and Canada because they are great places to live are over.

If you could somehow move to either and choose (like I can), then my choice is probably Sydney because the weather is more agreeable. I grew up in Toronto and lived in Ottawa for four years - Ottawa is lovely, Toronto is like any major city, but the weather is yucky.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
You could look intro the Express Entry page of the official immigration website. Canada is divided into provinces, each one having its own rules and its own needs which you can look into. If you are into programming, it is a huge + since you might be lucky and find a company that can look to hire you, otherwise don't bother. Also, don't bother at all visiting the country and trying to land a job. If you are not eligible to work, nobody will reply to you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.