The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Friend keeps bringing up my failures

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Hi,

I have a friend who continues to bring up my failures, he offers to help me in my entrepreneurial endeavor but what is his solution? Amazon affiliate marketing (this forum always brings up affiliate marketing = no control). Then on top of that he wants me to stop what I'm working on and produce content for his site (wut?).

What should I do? I tell him his advice sucks but his response is always you haven't succeeded / made much $ etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Hi,

I have a friend who continues to bring up my failures, he offers to help me in my entrepreneurial endeavor but what is his solution? Amazon affiliate marketing (this forum always brings up affiliate marketing = no control). Then on top of that he wants me to stop what I'm working on and produce content for his site (wut?).

What should I do? I tell him his advice sucks but his response is always you haven't succeeded / made much $ etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PNQre2MiME

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
He's not a friend. Treat him with the same contempt he's treating you and spend less time around him. Keep him as a friend but only as long as he's not bringing up your failures. What's the point of that? Any fool can point and laugh at someone. He thinks very little of you. People like him number in the billions. Don't hang around people like that. They make your life worse in too many ways. You're better than that.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hi,

Start a progress thread on this forum. Your friend might be a dick. Or he might be trying to do you a favor by pushing you away from a shitty business towards what he knows (Amazon affiliate marketing).

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
What's his tone? Is it condescending or is it like a mentor trying to help you see the light?

Big difference between the two, IMHO.

The latter means they are coming from a place of genuine concern, and are a real friend. They may be right, they may be wrong - only time will tell. Either way, you can't really fault them for trying to help, even if they are sharing something that is contrary to what you want to hear.

The former means they need a 1 way ticket to dump city.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Start a progress thread on this forum. Your friend might be a dick. Or he might be trying to do you a favor by pushing you away from a shitty business towards what he knows (Amazon affiliate marketing).

Hesitant about progress thread I like to go at my own pace - He has never made money online so it's not what he knows. All he's done is made a weebly site and claims to have the equivalent expertise of someone who studied computer science and a few dozen followers on some insta pages. I have produced a few products here and there.

What's his tone? Is it condescending or is it like a mentor trying to help you see the light?

Big difference between the two, IMHO.

The latter means they are coming from a place of genuine concern, and are a real friend. They may be right, they may be wrong - only time will tell. Either way, you can't really fault them for trying to help, even if they are sharing something that is contrary to what you want to hear.

The former means they need a 1 way ticket to dump city.

Yea the problem is that It does seem like he's trying to help. Thing is he hasn't made any $ online either, he has 0 experience in affiliate marketing - he just found out about it actually

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This is high school level politics.

If someone's being a meanie to you - drop them.
If someone you really value and care about is being a meanie - confront them.

This isn't rocket science.
Either continue to accept what you've been accepting or do something about it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How about talking about what you've done instead of what you're going to do?

I either keep quiet and get on with it, or talk about things that I've achieved (which includes learnings from "failures" btw).

It could be he's a friend you don't talk business to, but do other stuff with instead. It certainly sounds like he hasn't learned what a "failure" is. Maybe you can discuss Edison with him? Maybe he's someone you can go on this journey with, once you set some ground rules?

This thread might be useful?

Something I do when someone is pissing me off is to go over the top exuberant.

"You failed at creating a forum."

"Oh yeah!! That was great! I made some money but realised running a paid forum wasn't right for me. It was an aha moment to learn I prefer working with the DFY types than the DIY types. I'm so glad you reminded me!!!"

strobe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
One of my favourite quotes is "Protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies".... If this resonates with you then you'll take that advice accordingly.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Sounds as if your friend is looking for a business partner but doesn't exactly know how to say - "I need your help, wanna partner up?" You mentioned that he has a weebly site and that you have experienced sales with products here and there, but, the real question is 'what is your motivation at this point where entrepreneurship is concerned?' I ask this because it would possibly guide you in the direction you see where you can add value, even if it is by partnering with your friend to build a successful venture.

We all make mistakes in life - that's what life is about - the make or break is when we can take the failures and see where we went wrong and how to rectify it when next we move in similar directions; therefore, dependent on where you wish to add value in business, use the lessons learnt from your failures to decide what your next move is.

Last edited:

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
There are two reasons that any of us push against people who keep criticizing up and what we're trying to do.

We know they're actually right in what they're saying and we just don't want to hear it.
We know that what we're doing is the right direction for us, we're not deluded about the effort needed and we're committed.

If you can honestly say you're the second, which it sounds like you are, then just tell him straight that you appreciate the help/support, but it's really important to you that you try to strike out on your own. If he's a good friend he'll understand and support you. If he continues in the same way then as many others are saying - he's not a friend.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Well some time has passed and I have had minimal contact with him but just agreed to be mentored by him, I'm talking with him tomorrow. He pointed out my weaknesses & strengths and asked me to let him coach him for a bit. He did point out I should be utilizing my sales skills better and he will help with that.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
Well some time has passed and I have had minimal contact with him but just agreed to be mentored by him, I'm talking with him tomorrow. He pointed out my weaknesses & strengths and asked me to let him coach him for a bit. He did point out I should be utilizing my sales skills better and he will help with that.

Did you not say that he's not making much either though?

Not trying to be harsh here, but it kind of sounds like the blind leading the blind?

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Did you not say that he's not making much either though?

Not trying to be harsh here, but it kind of sounds like the blind leading the blind?

he does make 'good' money but not from affiliate marketing which is the direction he was pointing me towards, probably because he knows I am tech savvy.

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016
he does make 'good' money but not from affiliate marketing which is the direction he was pointing me towards, probably because he knows I am tech savvy.

Well there is nothing wrong with making good money. Why don't you start from there? For a tech savvy person, this should not consume the most of your time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.