The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Our Kickstarter Is Live! Follow Along!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thought I'd post this because it might help some of you who use Shopify in the future:

The share page I linked to in the first post (www.boneowl.com/pages/share) was a TOTAL PAIN to get working in Shopify.

Shopify is FANTASTIC when you use the tools they give you to make minor modifications to their themes but is TERRIBLE for doing anything "traditional" with.

For example - I had the html for my "easy share" page and it took me hours to figure out how to get it to talk to shopify. Hours. To get HTML onto a website. Just think about how stupid that sounds. Traditionally it would literally be as easy as uploading to ftp in 10 seconds. Shopify has NO OPTION to let you do this that I can tell. They don't even let you upload HTML files to their file section.

The page editor in shopify lets you view and edit the HTML for a page but it won't let you use all the normal tags and so trying to paste the html into the html section on the page editor just breaks the html in HORRIBLE ways with extra characters being added in as it tries to interpret what you gave it. horrible.

Here's the fix:

1. Get a third party page editor like Shogun. There are a bunch but this is the one I use.
2. Go into you "edit html/css" section on the theme you've chosen, create a new page template, name it whatever you want.
3. Delete the pre-populated crap in the template and replace it with this and save it:

<style>
nav { display:none; }
header { display:none; }
footer { display:none; }
</style>

{% layout none %}
{{ page.content }}

4. Go to your pages section in shopify and create a new page. Select the page template you made, and then under "more actions" open the page in shogun.
5. Use the HTML drag-and-drop widget to put an HTML entry onto the page.
6. Past your HTML into the html section.
7. Save and publish the page.

If you have css/js files that need referencing (as I did), then:

8. Open up one of your other, normal pages, or home page, or whatever and view the source code.
9. Find reference to a css file like "styles.css" somewhere in the code, like this: "//cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1891/5565/t/5/assets/styles.css"
10. Copy the path up until "styles.css" - this is your assets path for your store (is this stupid yet?)
11. Upload your css/js files to the assets section of your shopify store.
12. Go back into your HTML through shogun as before and replace all the paths pointing to css and js files to the path you copied from step 9, and just throw the file name of your css/js file at the end to make one complete file path.

Now it should work.
If it doesn't, check to make sure shogun didn't accidentally select a different page template along the way to one of your default ones that apply a ton of themes settings to every page.

Thank goodness Shopify didn't give us some easy way to do this. Think of all the problem solving we'd miss out on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014

Thanks man. I took krowdster for free test drive a little while back. Seems pretty legit on the surface. With any lead service there's always unknowns with the quality of the data though.

Nope - and it's a pretty sore spot for international project creators as well. The USA is the biggest backing market for most projects and not being able to setup a campaign native to USD seems silly IMHO. That's why you see a lot of projects (like mine) with the USD rate in the reward titles

You just need a US entity/person to get around this. As an Aussie, that's what I'm doing so I don't have to raise in our weakling currency.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As an Aussie, that's what I'm doing so I don't have to raise in our weakling currency.

Our Canadian dollar is on par with yours.

I feel you.

You need USA banking and/or a corp, neither of which I had. Also a US corp introduces a lot of legal/tax headaches so I'd really recommend against it unless you've talk to a lawyer/accountant.

I probably could have gotten a friend to use their bank account though as an individual, which now that I think of it would have made a lot more sense but it's far, far too late for that.

I wish you the best of luck with yours :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just backed, campaign looks fabulous. Hoping ya kill it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just backed, campaign looks fabulous. Hoping ya kill it.

Thanks so much!

I'm still blown away at the number of Fastlaners who have backed this. This place has been a bastion of support through this whole project :)

I can't wait to get these puzzles out to everyone.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio

Trixii

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
May 5, 2015
These look amazing! I clicked over to back you and buy one as a gift for a relative who loves jigsaws but at 1000 pieces they are too big for her. I'm sure you have a very good reason for chooing the size, but just a little customer feedback, fwiw :D

Do you have plans to release different sizes (500 pc) in the future?
I will probably buy myself one anyway - can't wait to see it irl!

Last edited:

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
(@MJ DeMarco approved this before posting)

As many INSIDERS may know I have a pretty extensive progress thread on the inside for my new jigsaw puzzle company: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/progress-insider-bone-owl-puzzles.72873

About an hour ago we officially went live!!!

Check it out: Bone Owl Jigsaw Puzzles

View attachment 15916

It would mean the absolute world to me if you help spread the word about this project that has been almost a full year in the making.

This is easily the most ambitious project I've ever worked on and I've put a TON of time and money into making sure every aspect of this company has been considered from a quality-first standpoint. No shortcuts.

Here's a few of things that we think make this special:

- We hired artists directly to produce original, never before seen images.
- We focused on themes that are largely completely ignored in the jigsaw puzzle world.
- We found the top jigsaw puzzle factory in the USA to keep quality/consistency extremely high
- We are paying extra for thicker pieces which hold together better
- Likewise we're adding a linen texture finish which only the top puzzle companies in the world utilize. Adds a seriously nice look/feel to the pieces.
- Each piece is random cut, not ribbon cut, which is a fancy way of saying the pieces are a far more interesting shape.

In typical Gary V fashion, I've been "jab, jab, jabbing" on this forum trying to help as many people on here as possible over the years and I've never truly asked for much in return.
Now I need a "right-hook" kind of favor.

If you love puzzles - consider backing the project. The puzzles are awesome.
If you just want to help spread the word - that is also EXTREMELY helpful.

I've made a dead easy share page to take all the work out of sharing this: www.boneowl.com/pages/share

(And as always - ask any questions you have, I'm busy beyonD belief but I'll get to every question, I promise)

Just pledged. Crush it brother :)

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Awesome!! Been following this for awhile on the inside been looking forward to this to come to fruition!

Pledged!!

I think i'll want the one wiht the snek... but I'll have my wife choose..

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
How about creating a donation level of $500, where you offer the five puzzles, plus one of every puzzle you create in the future? If not, I'll just donate to one of the existing levels...

You know, I struggled coming up with something higher value other than a "retail pack" for this project but the numbers fell apart pretty quickly since I was discounting for more puzzles purchased.

But that that "lifetime subscription" for $500 is a pretty good idea though.

Give me a few minutes to mull this over. I might very well throw that onto the project this morning.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Do you have plans to release different sizes (500 pc) in the future?

We chose 1,000 piece puzzles because they are by far the most popular size for most people.

We could see ourselves doing other sizes in the future (larger and smaller) but I can say there's no "immediate" plans for either at this very moment. Not until we get stable and running smoothly anyway.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
How about creating a donation level of $500, where you offer the five puzzles, plus one of every puzzle you create in the future?

I had this very thought yesterday. Even though I was willing to pledge more, I only pledged the min amount to get the 5 puzzles. Had there been a higher level, I probably would have bit on it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Even though I was willing to pledge more,

Yeah okay I need to do something about this today then.

Clearly I'm not thinking big enough if two of you are trying to give me money and I'm not letting you.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
But that that "lifetime subscription" for $500 is a pretty good idea though.

@JScott May have just given you a potential business idea...

After KS validates the business, what about offering a puzzle subscription program? That way you could guarantee regular revenue flow.

Just a thought to write down and revisit after the KS crazy is over.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
@JScott May have just given you a potential business idea...

After KS validates the business, what about offering a puzzle subscription program? That way you could guarantee regular revenue flow.

Just a thought to write down and revisit after the KS crazy is over.

THIS. I know about 30 people who would subscribe off the bat. People who do puzzles, LOVE puzzles and love to do NEW puzzles regularly. My mother-in-law buys a new puzzle every month, if not more. I see an issue with being able to produce enough quality art to keep things fresh and keeping track of each puzzle each customer already has in their puzzle library -- but it could be done!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Love the subscription idea, don't puzzle people do them often?

So happy to see all of the forum supporting you. And BTW, they're supporting you not because of charity, but because you genuinely have created something worthwhile and of value.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Okay,

After brainstorming some ideas I introduced a $245 tier to let people get any 10 puzzles from the current release (2 of each, 10 of 1 design, etc...).

I really, really thought hard about introducing a subscription model or future designs into a pledge tier but it really didn't sit right with me offering a reward that included currently non-existent items that would only be available at "some point" in the future. Also if I offered 12 or 24 future designs I also have no great idea on how long it will take to hit those milestones and if I didn't know the facts and numbers myself I didn't want to promise them to paying backers.

I would LOVE to introduce a subscription once I have a really solid and stable handle on release schedules when this business is chugging along but in the early days it's just so variable that it didn't sit well with me.

I did however introduce a really cool tier I love: for $999 someone gets all 5 puzzles plus helps us work on the next immediate design. Picking the theme, choosing artists, working through revisions, and getting credit for it on the website. This would be like a puzzle design ride-a-long for 1 backer. It was hard coming up with the price tier but for it but given how involved this would be it seemed fair and also in line with other projects offering similar "permanent company influence" kind of rewards.

Also had a great podcast interview today with "Crowdfunding Cast". Never heard of them before today but the 30 minutes of my time resulted in a great conversation so I'm happy about any additional exposure that brings.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
1 week down, 75% funded. Not bad.
I'm positive we'll hit funding at this point.
Hopefully this coming week.

Some updates:

- We've had almost no media uptake, which has been frustrating. We were really hoping to get into a few blogs, news sites, and facebook pages and it's fallen largely on deaf ears. We honestly think what we're doing is pretty cool but it's all crickets in the media world. We'll keep pressing but with zero "ins" it's all cold contacting which always has a very low % chance of working.

- Most traffic at this point has been from Facebook sharing, some Twitter sharing, and Reddit posts (we're actually doing better than we expected here). We continue to try and encourage sharing of our project and so far it's been pretty successful. Not viral or anything but every little bit helps.

- Here's a neat tool we registered our kickstarter at - it's called Kicktraq. It tracks all our data in a cool way (daily pledges, averages, number of backers, etc...). I know we got a few backers from here which was unexpected but nice. I just read that clicking the "view project" button from this page helps with the KS algorithm somehow (requires more research, I read it in another project I follow and they seem to be doing pretty well). So if you have a second feel free to give it a try to help us out (or just look at the stats for your amusement): Kicktraq - Bone Owl Jigsaw Puzzles

So.
1 week down in our first ever kickstarter.
I'm pretty happy with things on the whole.
Stay tuned for more updates as I have the time to post them :)

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
We've had almost no media uptake, which has been frustrating. We were really hoping to get into a few blogs, news sites, and facebook pages and it's fallen largely on deaf ears. We honestly think what we're doing is pretty cool but it's all crickets in the media world. We'll keep pressing but with zero "ins" it's all cold contacting which always has a very low % chance of working

Sorry to hear man! Those media folks can be a finnicky bunch.

What angle/s have you been pitching? Reworking the story you're pitching could be an idea for a second push.

Obviously also hitting your goal gives you a strong new angle.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Obviously also hitting your goal gives you a strong new angle.

We've done two reach out to our core list already. I'm going to build a larger, broader list and try again when we hit 100% - we agree that it would be a fresh new angle and a bit more "newsworthy" than 75%.

(Actually i just checked and we're at 79% after the most recent email/social announcement 30 minutes ago, cool)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Purchase a list.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
We've done two reach out to our core list already. I'm going to build a larger, broader list

Have you just been pitching purely on the product/campaign? Or building some sort of wider story?

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
86% after the weekend.

Was at a cottage and didn't spend a lot of time pushing this out like I have been every other day. Had our first "zero backer" day over the weekend as well, which was really depressing but also helps confirm that very little happens when we aren't making it happen.

It seems like whenever we can make an outreach of any real impact we'll get a few more pledges but it's certainly a slow trickle at this point. Still think we'll hit funding either this week or shortly into next but it's a sloooooow climb to the top.

14% to go.
Average pledge seems to be hovering around $44.
That's about 31 more backers needed in the next 21 days.

We're getting there :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.