The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I can't stand being on SNAP. . . . .

A post of a ranting nature...

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY
Ok people, you'll probably think I'm crazy for putting this kind of rant out there and I'll probably get some kind of feedback, regardless positive, negative or neutral, but I feel that I have to get this off my chest. Here it goes. . . . .

I can't stand being on food stamps. I feel that I have failed being a father and a husband in providing for my family. Instead of me going out hunting, making the kill, and dragging the prize home so my family could eat, someone else is doing that for me; the government. It's frustrating. :rage:

I wasn't always this way though, I had two franchising businesses back in '07 only for the economy to take me back to square one in '08. Ever since then, I tried to get my family back into security, but only failed job after job after job. I do have a college degree (Arts & Sciences) but it does no good for me as my college loan debt keeps increasing while on deferment because I'm concentrating on supporting my family.

Yep, I am living a sidewalk life and I feel that I'm stuck.

I am doing something about it though. Ever since I read TMF and Unscripted , I am going to get out of this lifestyle and living the life I wanted. I am working on an online business model that has been active since March, but I'm not making any profit as of yet. I guess that I'm too anxious or impatient about growing wealth for my family, spending more time for my kids and helping others. I also wanted to feel as if I created some kind of value for everyone before my life has ended on this planet and not just. . . . .live. You know the feeling that you're living, but not alive; I'm at that place.

Ok I put myself out there and thanks for allowing me to get this off my chest. I don't know what kind of comments for feedback I'm going to receive but I'm game, so go ahead and fire away . . . . . . .

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheRegalMachine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 27, 2017
Moon Base
You are not alone.
Being on SNAP F*cking sucks.
It's a shitty broken system. The process and backwards bureaucracy involved makes you feel even more crummy.
I've been on and off it before. At the beginning of the year I had enough. Got a job and was ready to discontinue my SNAP hell or highwater. The worker I went to meet implored me to reconsider. That I should stay on because I might be able to still get aid. I thought this was odd and was a bit disgusted. Wasn't the point of SNAP and all it's bullshit job search program suppose to get my off the teat? Isn't that the issue with the SNAP program as it is. Too many able bodied people purposely using it as a replacement for employment? Would my being still being on SNAP while employed defeat the purpose?
In the end they expected me to check in one a month, meaning take a day off work to meet with a worker, send in pay stubs, do some online "course" which were nothing but Dailymotion videos tagged on to poorly written quizzes, courses that garnered no real benefit other than keeping people busy, just so I could get I believe it was, $16 a month. No scratch that it was $17 because I got a letter right after saying I was getting a raise in funds.
I stopped contacting them and they eventually cut me off via a suspension which I never plan on rectifying.
It sucks. I know. But you have a family to take care of. So unfortunately you have to eat some shit until you can do better.
Don't be ashamed that you have to get government assistance.
Use that distaste for it all to fuel you.
For your kid's sake.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I almost though this was about being on SNAPchat, the social media platform. LOL.

Anyhow, the fact that you have the desire and the drive to get off the assistance makes a world of a difference.

Yep, I am living a sidewalk life and I feel that I'm stuck.

Sidewalk is a mentality. Based on your post and your dislike for your situation, I don't see Sidewalk thinking, I see Fastlane.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad.

We've all been in places where we didn't want to be. It's a part of the process. Having the awareness and determination to want an escape is the start.

You clearly have that.

Good luck my friend.

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
I almost though this was about being on SNAPchat, the social media platform. LOL.

Yep. Same here.

To the OP, my heart goes out to you and your family. I hope you find your way and become successful beyond your wildest dreams. Anything is possible in this world. Power to you on taking action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Lol, I thought he was going to say Snapchat too. Lol.

I understand what you are saying, I'm reading your words and I feel the pain in your words. However, it is clear that you are making the effort to get off the system and back onto your feet; the beautiful thing, you're equipped with the philosophies of both books - how cool?

So, based on your new business - what is the feedback of your market?
What is the core solution you are bringing to your customers? What problems are you helping them solve?
Based on the actions you have already taken, is there any adjustments to be made with the actual business model, yourself or with the delivery of your business to your customers?

I'm not asking the questions to mind your business, I'm just asking it to bring you back to the aspect of Acting, Assessing and Adjusting to help you see where you are stuck and how you can become unstuck to move onto the next step.

Maybe it is that the emotions of your current situation is holding you back a bit? Yes it will be difficult for a while, but look at it this way - YOU have made a choice to change your situation, you're not waiting for anyone else to do it because You know YOU alone hold that power AND YOU are acting on it now; therefore, you will feel a bit despondent for the moment you are going through this particular hurdle - this hurdle is temporary; hold on strong and keep pushing to building that valuable productocracy bit-by-bit, this is your key to your breakthrough. The forum is here to support you along the way.

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY
You are not alone.
Being on SNAP F*cking sucks.
It's a shitty broken system. The process and backwards bureaucracy involved makes you feel even more crummy.
I've been on and off it before. At the beginning of the year I had enough. Got a job and was ready to discontinue my SNAP hell or highwater. The worker I went to meet implored me to reconsider. That I should stay on because I might be able to still get aid. I thought this was odd and was a bit disgusted. Wasn't the point of SNAP and all it's bullshit job search program suppose to get my off the teat? Isn't that the issue with the SNAP program as it is. Too many able bodied people purposely using it as a replacement for employment? Would my being still being on SNAP while employed defeat the purpose?
In the end they expected me to check in one a month, meaning take a day off work to meet with a worker, send in pay stubs, do some online "course" which were nothing but Dailymotion videos tagged on to poorly written quizzes, courses that garnered no real benefit other than keeping people busy, just so I could get I believe it was, $16 a month. No scratch that it was $17 because I got a letter right after saying I was getting a raise in funds.
I stopped contacting them and they eventually cut me off via a suspension which I never plan on rectifying.
It sucks. I know. But you have a family to take care of. So unfortunately you have to eat some shit until you can do better.
Don't be ashamed that you have to get government assistance.
Use that distaste for it all to fuel you.
For your kid's sake.

Thanks for the encouragement, I need that.

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY

Anyhow, the fact that you have the desire and the drive to get off the assistance makes a world of a difference.

Sidewalk is a mentality. Based on your post and your dislike for your situation, I don't see Sidewalk thinking, I see Fastlane.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad.

We've all been in places where we didn't want to be. It's a part of the process. Having the awareness and determination to want an escape is the start.

You clearly have that.

Good luck my friend.

Thanks MJ. That encourages me.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I can't stand being on food stamps. I feel that I have failed being a father and a husband in providing for my family...Yep, I am living a sidewalk life...my college loan debt keeps increasing while on deferment...I am working on an online business model that has been active since March, but I'm not making any profit as of yet.
Hi @Ivan M., that's quite a situation you've found yourself in.

I'm going to take a different approach than most in this case and suggest a regular 8-5, manual labor, knuckle busting job...instead of something online or fastlane. IMO you need to change your footing before starting a business.

First...stop that sidewalk lifestyle spending. Second, get that dreaded JOB and bust it! Once you have a regular income; you can get off food stamps, pay your debts, provide for your family, and save a little $ to fund your business. Then you'll find the confidence you need to strike out anew. These things you've listed as failures will become the cornerstones of a foundation you can build on. Then you can seek out a fastlane type business from a position of strength, confidence & resources. Admitting it to yourself was hardest part...now you can do this!

Just my opinion though, and your mileage may vary. Best wishes.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
someone else is doing that for me; the government.

That money is from taxpayers, not the government.

Anyway,

I second everything that @OldFaithful said.

Get a job. Watch spending carefully. Having a sense of control will help your pride and confidence for sure. Plus, you'll likely need some cash for your business too.

You had 2 franchises? Well, then you ALREADY know what it takes to be successful.

That's more knowledge than most people have, including most people on this forum. Most are starting from scratch. You already have that knowledge, experience, and skillset...no?

So...what's stopping you? Just the fact that it feels like life punched you in the face?

Trust me, I get it. My last 2 years have been HELL, to put it mildly.

But you just gotta get back in the fight (or some other cliche' analogy haha)

You'll be alright.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You can do it once you set your mind to it. I started with $3.17, sleeping on my friend's couch and no plan at all. No one had the internet and I didn't even know anyone with any business sense that could help. Today is a different story, I do what I want, when I want and buy what I want when I want. It takes time. It won't happen in a week or month and probably not even a year. Focus on the positives. Screw those student loan payments, you need to make sure you have a place to stay, food, electric/water/gas and probably a car to drive since you will need to get a job to make some money until you get other income coming in. Actually, thinking back, for the first 3 years, I worked fast food when I wasn't working my own business. I was sometimes working almost 24/7 and riding my bike to work at Burger King through blizzards in Omaha the first year. All those credit card/student loan/other bills along that line can wait, take care of your family first. I hate telling someone to get a job (I know I coudn't do it) but in your case you need to get a solid foundation before you can start building your empire.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
screen%20shot%202014-02-20%20at%2011.25.46%20am.png

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I was on food stamps not too long ago. Bootstrapped really hard for over a year and couldn't afford much of anything after that. Sucked it up and got a job as that'll help me accelerate my process. You'll make it out. I hated it too :)

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY
I was on food stamps not too long ago. Bootstrapped really hard for over a year and couldn't afford much of anything after that. Sucked it up and got a job as that'll help me accelerate my process. You'll make it out. I hated it too :)
Problem is, that I have 2 jobs (had) and I'm still on food stamps.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Problem is, that I have 2 jobs (had) and I'm still on food stamps.
Stop looking for the “right” career, and start looking for a job. Any job. Forget about what you like. Focus on what’s available. Get yourself hired. Show up early. Stay late. Volunteer for the scut work. Become indispensable. You can always quit later, and be no worse off than you are today. But don’t waste another year looking for a career that doesn’t exist. And most of all, stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that’s consistent with those beliefs. - Mike Rowe

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
someone else is doing that for me; the government

No, it's us dude. The government only spends money, it doesn't make it. We're providing for your family right now.

I'm not one of those "taxation is theft" people. I think the reason why societies like we see now crushed looser affiliations is because certain things which everybody need and which individuals can't freely negotiate for are better deputized to the state. But every time you take that check, realize that it's not some faceless entity, but your friends who are out there working long hours, your dad, your mom, your buddies from work, who are filling the account that check is cashed from. I don't begrudge you or anyone who needs it a helping hand, but you should feel grieved and energized that others are providing for you when you can provide for yourself. You think it feels great to provide for your own family? Knowing you have provided so much for others that you're able to help others voluntarily AFTER your family is provided for is even better than that.

Here, read this thread:

Your Excuses are Now Void (Now With Exact Steps)

It details a procedure you can use in the United States and several other Western countries to give yourself a raise of SEVERAL HUNDRED PERCENT vs. your current job as early as this week, with zero risk and nothing, or very little, to buy. You can even keep your current job and do it until you get your feet under you. All you need is a phone with a camera and an internet connection.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Do you know that there is so much tree trimming work out there that the companies can't keep up? That can be an all year around business. Depending where you live there is probably some type of yard work that needs done at least most of the year. And then during mowing season you could fill in with mowing since it pays the least at $20-$60+ an hour. All kinds of flower bed work is out there at a minimum $20+ an hour. I'm still lost as to why anyone needs food stamps or government help, but I don't really make it any of my business. I have too much money to make while those people are filling out forms at the local welfare office. I have nothing against them, just not sure why it is needed except for elderly and handicapped.

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY
You think it feels great to provide for your own family? Knowing you have provided so much for others that you're able to help others voluntarily AFTER your family is provided for is even better than that.

I don't understand this question. I have voluntarily helped others when my family is taken care of, but I know that I can manage to take care of my family if I could find a better paying job in the meantime. I live in Orlando, FL and there's nothing here but hospitality jobs. But I think I'm going to begin and look for jobs (not careers) elsewhere.

Here, read this thread:

Your Excuses are Now Void (Now With Exact Steps)

It details a procedure you can use in the United States and several other Western countries to give yourself a raise of SEVERAL HUNDRED PERCENT vs. your current job as early as this week, with zero risk and nothing, or very little, to buy. You can even keep your current job and do it until you get your feet under you. All you need is a phone with a camera and an internet connection.

I think this thread is either broken or removed. Can't access it.

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY
Stop looking for the “right” career, and start looking for a job. Any job. Forget about what you like. Focus on what’s available. Get yourself hired. Show up early. Stay late. Volunteer for the scut work. Become indispensable. You can always quit later, and be no worse off than you are today. But don’t waste another year looking for a career that doesn’t exist. And most of all, stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that’s consistent with those beliefs. - Mike Rowe

I now know that. I've been so wrapped up in trying to get a career and living the scripted life that it's hard to leave old habits at my age. I haven't had an inkling of an idea how to live life until I read the Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . Now I'm in the process of implementing and redefining my beliefs about giving value to others while supporting my family at the same time. It's a little challenging.

In the meantime, I'll start looking for jobs that'll at least support my family and thanks for your response.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
You know what you do have?

Motivation. Tons of it. Use it. See your situation now and tell yourself; never again.

The silver lining of a shitty situation is that all that stress and frustration can be channeled into massive action.

As opposed to someone living a comfortable life making 6 figures and owning three houses that will get around to it someday.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I agree with others that nothing comes from the government, but rather is taken from your fellow citizens. However...In the big scheme of things, it sounds like you're the kind of guy who, when the numbers are tallied years from now, will have paid in far more to the system than you've ever taken out.

You're married to the mother of your children. You're working hard to get ahead. You're valuing your family, and conscious of the need to become fully self-sufficient. Already, you're far ahead of those who abuse these safety nets...year after year, generation after generation. That won't be you. IMO, you're no sidewalker. You'll get past this.

P.S. I don't know how old your kids are, but I'd be willing to bet that you're their hero. Love them, love their mom, and someday, you can all laugh together about the hard times you got through. It will make for a great story someday! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.