The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Keto

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Has anyone here tried Keto? I have been reading good things about it and am particularly interested in the mental clarity that it supposedly helps you attain because of the more stable blood sugar levels.

Thanks,
MG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Been on strict keto for 2 years. Much more stable blood sugar, dont need to eat as often. but i got a gout attack a year in. so i would cheat every once in a while

G

GuestUser450

Yep, I did strict keto for 6 months, the time between 2 doctor's appts. I wasn't overweight or sick, just wanted to see how low I could get my BF and if it made a difference in blood tests.

My thoughts are:

I'm convinced it's the healthiest way for people to lose large amounts of weight, safely. I joined a keto community, and watching severely obese and ill people become healthy without the yo-yo effect is incredibly cool.

As an all-purpose therapy, keto could rival many pharmaceuticals in the way it reduces inflammation.

My results: bodyfat did seem to drop, but very little compared to my current regime. My blood tests were approximately the same and no markers were worse despite copious amounts of butter, bacon, eggs and mct oil.

Moving forward: Keto is not the right long term program for me; I'm active, move weight around in the gym and am fortunate not to have any chronic illnesses or genetic gremlins. I've gone back to 18/6 intermittent fasting (not iifym) while eating pretty clean, but I eat what I want (had a cheese quesadilla and a Kellerweis tonight at dinner just cuz - but I did track it in myfitnesspal). I feel better now, much more balanced. So I think everyone is different and should test to see what their body responds to.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I am lifting and doing MMA, I can feel my body asking for more calories and water. I eat relatively clean and am in the middle of reducing my carbohydrates. Keto flu is real...then again I think most cultures have gotten used to cheap and mass produced carbohydrates - pasta, rice, etc. I hate how my body craves fast absorbing carbs, I am realizing that I need to gradually draw down as much as I want to go all-in.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I tried it, but I race triathlons and am currently in the middle of Ironman training so the diet and my training schedule didn't mesh well (at least for me). I've heard and read a lot of really great things about it though, between mental clarity and potentially cancer fighting effects- I think it is for sure a great thing to try

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
I really think different diets and foods depend on different body types. Some people do well on vegan or vegetarian diet, I would die.

When first starting keto it takes a while you feel weak and you get a lot of head rushes from cutting out carbs due to your body adjusting but after 2 weeks you really dont crave carbs as much. However, once you eat carbs, you start craving it again cause it messes with your blood sugar so much.

I have a really fast metabolism so I always get hungry but with keto not so much. It's hard for me to gain or maintain weight on Keto though.

Sugar and carbs makes you want to eat. Even after a meal you want dessert. Keto you really never get that feel or urge to top off your meal with something sweet. It's crazy how the body adjusts itself.

The best way to describe it is stable. everything is much more stable, i dont get as crabby. and for women who want to lose weight, its a real good diet to try

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
I've always been a big fan of the primal "diet". It's similar to paleo, with more fat from meat and dairy. I find myself slipping into and out of ketosis on it, by merit of limiting fruits mostly to berries or local/in season stuff. No processed carbs.

I feel pretty good, stay slim despite an extremely stressful job(which I'm hoping to quit soon), and don't have trouble putting on some muscle.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Been on keto for 9 weeks.

For background I lift 5-6x a week and cardio 3-4x a week. 6ft 185lbs 12% bf 22 y/o.

I too began the diet for mental clarity and focus. I have ADD tendencies (don't we all) and I am basically to go to any length to increase my performance mentally and physically naturally, without drugs.

I have really enjoyed keto, it does take some getting used to for sure. I combine it with IF - I have my first meal approx midday.

Just recently I have begun to experiment with CKD. This is where you add in 100-150g of carbs to your last meal every 3-7 days. From research this mitigates any potential concerns with the keto lifestyle. For instance, I was getting dry eyes. Since adding in some carbs once a week, it has subsided and I still keep all my keto benefits.

The game really, is finding out what works for you. Some people do great on a vegan diet, where as I bloat, feel low energy etc (even though I tried to convince myself otherwise during it, lol).

Experiment. Find out what works for you.

But keto is definitely worth a shot IME.

p.s. If interested check this out How To Get Into Ketosis: The Quintessential Guide - It goes above and beyond what you need to start, a fantastic article that covers EVERYTHING.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
I have mixed feelings about keto.

I like being on it because it makes me suffer (probably some issues there!) and I like the constant dehydration and urination cycle when easing into it. But from then on it is boring and I find incredibly hard to do if you go out.

I tend to lose more weight and have more fun just doing 1500kcal per day and trying to nail the right macros (ie not too many carbs) than hardcore keto. The only thing I have noticed is cognitive efficiency because your brain has a steady flow of energy and not the ups and downs of carb power. For meditation this is awesome, also as noticed by people like Tim Ferris.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
..mental clarity..

That is the one reason I fast for as long as possible. If you're really trying to get ahead, the clarity is so good that you'll put it before hunger or cravings.

If you haven't already, check out Carb Backloading by John Keifer

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.