The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why is Scottsdale so awesome?

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
I have heard in passing quite a bit over the years that Scottsdale is an awesome place to live.

I notice MJ is from there so did some research over the weekend, unfortunatly it digged up threads from slowlaners complaining about the place (dubbed "Snotsdale") so nada.

My dog has a heart murmer, he is 4, predicted to live 'till 8-9. I plan to emigrate somewhere at this point. I was looking at Toronto. I live in the UK and want out of the EU / UK permanently. So I am doing all my due dilligence and research now.

Scottsdale sounds amazing to live in in the winter... 75 degrees F is around 20 degrees C. In the winter here, it is around -5 degrees C.

But it doesn't sound good in the summer. The hottest place I have spent time in is southern Greece, I actually had to go to hospital with heatstroke :/

So for RICH / affluent people, who don't have to worry about jobs and commuting, why is the place so great?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
I have heard in passing quite a bit over the years that Scottsdale is an awesome place to live.

I notice MJ is from there so did some research over the weekend, unfortunatly it digged up threads from slowlaners complaining about the place (dubbed "Snotsdale") so nada.

My dog has a heart murmer, he is 4, predicted to live 'till 8-9. I plan to emigrate somewhere at this point. I was looking at Toronto. I live in the UK and want out of the EU / UK permanently. So I am doing all my due dilligence and research now.

Scottsdale sounds amazing to live in in the winter... 75 degrees F is around 20 degrees C. In the winter here, it is around -5 degrees C.

But it doesn't sound good in the summer. The hottest place I have spent time in is southern Greece, I actually had to go to hospital with heatstroke :/

So for RICH / affluent people, who don't have to worry about jobs and commuting, why is the place so great?

Thank you.
I'll chime in.

Moved to AZ in 1984...moved back to Buffalo for a year in 1992...moved back to AZ(Scottsdale) in 1993...moved to IN 10 years ago...moved back to AZ(Scottsdale) 2 years later...still here.

So ya- it's the desert...it's hot in the Summer- for about 5 months. We escape from here as much as we can, when the kids are out of school. But like the past week or so...we're in the backyard throwing the ball once the sun is setting and the yard is shaded. A cold beer and a jump in the pool helps as well.

And for the other 7 months...it's really nice here.

Now- if you're looking for a change of seasons...you won't find that here. If you are looking for endless opportunities to build a business, get a job, make new friends- you can do that here...easily.

And it's crazy the amount of super cars that you see here flying around...kinda cool to be around that kind of money- even if some of it is financed.

But we dig it...good a place as any to raise a family and live the good life, or any kind of life you wanna live.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
We moved here almost 4 years ago. Mesa is where we lived the first 1.5 years here. We now live in Fountain Hills which is east of Scottsdale. Incredibly beautiful and scenic. No other place like Fountain Hills here in Arizona. However, the median age is about 92, it's pretty secluded with not a lot of shopping & entertainment options. We will likely be moving to Scottsdale within the next year. BUT, it is a great place to live. We're fairly close to the Salt River and Four Peaks area which are perfect for recreation activities like river tubing, kayaking, paddle boarding, boating, hiking, fishing, camping, off-roading, exploring, etc. We often see free roaming wild horses along with other native wildlife like bobcats, javelina, coyote and snakes. Not of fan of wildlife? Don't live in Fountain Hills, lol.

Experience Fountain Hills

Scottsdale has a pretty vibrate nightlife, lots of shopping & entertainment, cultural activities and great restaurants everywhere. There are also great places to hike.

There are places other than Scottsdale. Places like Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek and Tempe that are equally as nice but more affordable.

One of the things we love most about living here is the diversity of our state. Too hot? Drive an hour to Payson where temps are about 20 degrees cooler and you have lots of waterfalls to enjoy. Miss the snow in winter? Drive two hours to Sedona and take in the beauty of white snow on red mountains.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We moved here almost 4 years ago. Mesa is where we lived the first 1.5 years here. We now live in Fountain Hills which is east of Scottsdale. Incredibly beautiful and scenic. No other place like Fountain Hills here in Arizona. However, the median age is about 92, it's pretty secluded with not a lot of shopping & entertainment options. We will likely be moving to Scottsdale within the next year. BUT, it is a great place to live. We're fairly close to the Salt River and Four Peaks area which are perfect for recreation activities like river tubing, kayaking, paddle boarding, boating, hiking, fishing, camping, off-roading, exploring, etc. We often see free roaming wild horses along with other native wildlife like bobcats, javelina, coyote and snakes. Not of fan of wildlife? Don't live in Fountain Hills, lol.

Experience Fountain Hills

Scottsdale has a pretty vibrate nightlife, lots of shopping & entertainment, cultural activities and great restaurants everywhere. There are also great places to hike.

There are places other than Scottsdale. Places like Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek and Tempe that are equally as nice but more affordable.

One of the things we love most about living here is the diversity of our state. Too hot? Drive an hour to Payson where temps are about 20 degrees cooler and you have lots of waterfalls to enjoy. Miss the snow in winter? Drive two hours to Sedona and take in the beauty of white snow on red mountains.
Jeez was that 4 years ago?

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I'll be in Scottsdale at the end of September. Probably my favorite city I've been to, really just love everything about it so far (been there 4 times). Simply cannot deal with living in Western New York anymore, especially with our long, BRUTAL, sunless, winters.

That will be the second last time I visit prior to moving in June 2018.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
My family and I moved to Arizona a little over a year ago. We live further south (San Tan Valley) where the houses are cheaper. We actually don't mind the summer heat. We stay inside or in the pool during the heat of the day. After the sun goes down it isn't too bad.

A few nice things about the Phoenix area are: beautiful views, lots of things to do, only a few hour drive to the ocean, a couple hour drive into the mountain, amazing weather!

Cons:
hot during the summer
(I'm sure there are others but we haven't come across any yet)

To us the pros greatly outweighed the cons so we moved here. We absolutely love it. To us it feels like a vacation all the time.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
My employer was paying to relocate people to AZ and flew me out. I really enjoyed Tempe a lot more than I thought I would. Its not as congested and suffocating as Los Angeles. And I like the heat, although AZ its a bit too much.

Only bad would be no lane splitting for motorcycles.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
My family and I moved to Arizona a little over a year ago. We live further south (San Tan Valley) where the houses are cheaper. We actually don't mind the summer heat. We stay inside or in the pool during the heat of the day. After the sun goes down it isn't too bad.

A few nice things about the Phoenix area are: beautiful views, lots of things to do, only a few hour drive to the ocean, a couple hour drive into the mountain, amazing weather!

Cons:
hot during the summer
(I'm sure there are others but we haven't come across any yet)

To us the pros greatly outweighed the cons so we moved here. We absolutely love it. To us it feels like a vacation all the time.
I had no idea you moved here. We should meetup sometime.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
What about downsides? I checked but all I really got was stuff about water running out, having to be imported, and lots of things about "The Worst Sheriff" who Trump is about to pardon and may become Governor, as well as "how the politicians own all the prisons" or something.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Uh dont get a DUI or youre going straight to tent prison. So hot that there are underground tunnels from parking structures to work. It's the desert, kiss your lawn goodbye.

I remember something ridiculous like 70% of all people in AZ are not natives. There's good job and housing market, lower cost of living and only an few hours drive to California so the appeal is all that stuff. But if you dont like heat, probably not a good place. Probably the #1 deciding factor, this summer I saw it was 120 degrees in Phoenix

f325605d18cf4469ee82a93d7ee1604a.jpg

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
I'm from New England and my first visit driving north towards Sedona was like landing on Mars. It was beautiful to visit and everyone should drive that road (Route 89A?) through Slide Rock State Forest but otherwise give me four seasons and a temperate forest biome any day.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Let me just say this.

If it was truly miserable in the summer and it didn't outweigh the winters. Why are those who can choose to live anywhere in the world, living here?

Disclaimer: I now spend the major portion of the summer in Colorado. But that just started a few years ago.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I've never been to Arizona in the summer, so I can't comment on that state specifically.

However, after going to Vegas in the summer I can definitively say that a dry 112 (44.4 C) is about 1000x better than a humid 95 (35 C).

I was in Vegas recently over the summer and it was 112 F. I walked pretty much everywhere during the day. Hell, I walked from the LV Convention Center to McCaran in the afternoon heat. It was hot and I was sweaty. But I didn't sweat nearly as much as I do in a hot humid place.

The dry heat myth is true.

Edit: If Greece gave you heat stroke, then AZ in the summer might literally kill you. All the Florida people that are already used to the heat though. Not that bad.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If it was truly miserable in the summer and it didn't outweigh the winters. Why are those who can choose to live anywhere in the world, living here?
As Dave likes to say, "We live where people vacation."

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Uh dont get a DUI or youre going straight to tent prison. So hot that there are underground tunnels from parking structures to work. It's the desert, kiss your lawn goodbye.

I remember something ridiculous like 70% of all people in AZ are not natives. There's good job and housing market, lower cost of living and only an few hours drive to California so the appeal is all that stuff. But if you dont like heat, probably not a good place. Probably the #1 deciding factor, this summer I saw it was 120 degrees in Phoenix

f325605d18cf4469ee82a93d7ee1604a.jpg
They closed tent city when the new sheriff took over. I've got a green lawn. 120 is no big deal. It's the same as 105 or 110. You do the same thing everyone else does in almost every other state in the summer (stay in the AC or pool).

I moved to AZ from the Midwest. We had 100+ degree summers and 10-20 below winters. I will take 120 in the summer and 60 in the winter.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
What about downsides? I checked but all I really got was stuff about water running out, having to be imported, and lots of things about "The Worst Sheriff" who Trump is about to pardon and may become Governor, as well as "how the politicians own all the prisons" or something.
The sheriff everyone was all up in arms about was voted out last election cycle. Water is actually something we did some research into and were satisfied with the measures Arizona has taken and is taking. If there is a water issue it will hit all the farmers (there are a lot) that grow cotton, alfalfa, corn etc. the hardest as that would be the first thing they would cut off.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Before everyone climbs into their car and moves here, let me say that a lot of things have changed since I first moved here.

#1, Real Estate has gotten god awful expensive, especially in Scottsdale. I can't believe the crap I'm seeing now for $1.5M.
#2, Traffic has gotten insane.
#3, It is really really HOT in the summer.
#4, The politics are changing as more Californians are moving here and bringing their idiotic politics with them.

Basically, I'm lobbying for you all to stay where you're at. I'd like my next 20 years here to be like the first. ;)

BUFFALOBT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 11, 2013
I'll be in Scottsdale at the end of September. Probably my favorite city I've been to, really just love everything about it so far (been there 4 times). Simply cannot deal with living in Western New York anymore, especially with our long, BRUTAL, sunless, winters.

That will be the second last time I visit prior to moving in June 2018.
I'm from Cheektowaga-

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Before everyone climbs into their car and moves here, let me say that a lot of things have changed since I first moved here.

#1, Real Estate has gotten god awful expensive, especially in Scottsdale. I can't believe the crap I'm seeing now for $1.5M.
#2, Traffic has gotten insane.
#3, It is really really HOT in the summer.
#4, The politics are changing as more Californians are moving here and bringing their idiotic politics with them.

Basically, I'm lobbying for you all to stay where you're at. I'd like my next 20 years here to be like the first. ;)
I was torn between singing the praises or warning people to stay away, lol.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Never understood that. People move to X country and then try and make that country change. We have the same issue in the UK but I will stop here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.