The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sheep mentality in the gaming community

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
IMG_0838.PNG IMG_0839.PNG IMG_0840.PNG
It looks like there are opportunities to be taken advantage of in gaming/esports for those who don't have a superiority complex!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

qaerst

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 13, 2017
Antarctica
View attachment 15798 View attachment 15799 View attachment 15800
It looks there're opportunities to be taken advantage of in gaming/esports for those who don't have a superiority complex!

I'm well aware of the e-sports scene.
But ask any"eSports athlete" and they'll say to just go to college because there is SO much that can go wrong.
No sponsors , people paying you late, getting kicked out of your team for whatever reason and the list goes on.

But we're talking about the people who waste countless hours in a game.
27 000 hours? There is no way you can justify playing 27000 hours in a video game.
That's 3 years of your life OR 7 years of 9-5 work.

Gaming is a good stress reliever. But you can't deny that there are people who take it to the extreme.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I'm well aware of the e-sports scene.
But ask any"eSports athlete" and they'll say to just go to college because there is SO much that can go wrong.
No sponsors , people paying you late, getting kicked out of your team for whatever reason and the list goes on.

But we're talking about the people who waste countless hours in a game.
27 000 hours? There is no way you can justify playing 27000 hours in a video game.
That's 3 years of your life OR 7 years of 9-5 work.

Gaming is a good stress reliever. But you can't deny that there are people who take it to the extreme.

My points are :
1. Gaming and esports is growing with no signs of slowing down
2. Getting people to change is hard
3. Given there are so many fanatics, seems like it's a great market to make money from rather than to criticize the consumers

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
when i was a kid i spent so much time playing EverQuest which was the big MMO before warcraft took over... then one day stepdad's credit card expired and my journey was over lol

These days I like to enjoy Single Player games, mostly RPG's or a well made FPS.
Such games are like reading a visual novel that you can also play.
Currently im playing Witcher 3 which is F*ckin incredible. So goddamn incredible.
I'm taking my time with it, but probably got around 35 hours into it, overall probably will take 100+ hours to thoroughly enjoy the game.

But so what, non of us work fastlane 24/7, some people watch a movie, some party, some play an excellent video game, some read a book, etc etc...
Nothing is inherently bad until it becomes an addiction.

3000+ hours in counter strike is pretty brutal i agree. Some diversity in entertainment is important. This individual probably lacks much social contact lol
I have a friend who loves Counter Strike but has 996 hours after a long long time, years i guess.

It's really the repetitive multiplayer games that are such a timesink, cause... they dont end!

As a teenager i probably put in over 1000 hours into a certain multiplayer star wars game, i dont really regret because i had an absolute blast playing with friends from real life, playing with strangers, and even making friends with one on facebook for years now who i met in game. we had a game clan too and it was just F*ckin fun man. Games are awesome.

Youngkody

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 10, 2017
Cornwall, Ontario
@Weixin Yes sheep mentality is displayed everywhere and its significantly displayed by the gamer community. Living in a fantasy world will never bring us life's simple pleasures.

We're so fixated on progression in our virtual worlds we neglect the real world altogether.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I've seen this pointless and ridiculous thread pop up one too many times so I'm going to put the nail in the coffin.

Maybe you've never heard of streamers who literally play video games as a full time job, yet earn thousands in passive income from Twitch, YouTube and other sponsors.

Maybe you aren't aware of competitive eSports players who have to earn a MINIMUM of $75K per year, but also get sponsorship and earn hundreds of thousands in prize money.

Maybe you haven't heard of Gaben Newell who's a game developer and a billionaire several times over, and has played thousands of hours of Dota.

Maybe you don't you that the eSports scene is generating hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue and is expected to grow to over a billion by 2020, that's why companis like Blizzard, Riot, and Valve keep investing in growing it.

The idea that playing video games makes you lazy or stupid is not a new concept. Actually it's a common narrative in the mainstream media and is a favourite to repeat among soccer moms and school principles. But I don't care, insult gamers all you want because with your perfectly-acceptable-by-societal-standards bias, you're the sheep, not us.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
7 hours on facebook per day, after hearing that I automatically thought about ways to avoid getting to that point one day.
I find it interesting because in their sheep mentality, they stated I was a narcissist for telling them it would be a positive thing to have some structure, goals, organization. You all have to scream because Mattie is in the house and they might have to do something different than feel sorry for themselves. :)

surfer92

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jun 17, 2016
CS:GO is quite an addictive game. I have sunk 1000 hrs into it since 2014.
What I liked about it was the more I practiced the better I got, playing competitive games, getting a higher rank and making friends.
I am not surprised this guy dropped 3.5k+ hrs, the game has been out since Aug 2012.
If he was streaming, making videos for youtube and building a brand from playing CS:GO. It would probably worth it but a lot of people play video games to escape.

At the end of the day you can bring the horse to water but can't make it drink...

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
CS:GO is quite an addictive game. I have sunk 1000 hrs into it since 2014.

A game doesn't restrain you to a chair and force you to play. You make the choice to play.

people play video games to escape.

Even if the OP's friend isn't playing for money, does that really make him wrong? What if he knows something you don't. What if he's the one living how he wants? Assuming we're all going to die, a statement most agree with, then what does it matter how one spends his life?

At the end of the day you can bring the horse to water but can't make it drink...

Have you considered the horse may not want to drink your water?

He certainly didn't ask to be lead there. He can't speak.

Denis from BE

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Apr 3, 2017
Belgium
Yep... I think about my colleague who spends a lot of his time during work hours watching games streams, reading games related forums,... all this thinking about which game he gonna buy once he'll got his salary or next Steam reductions day. He has no vision of his future, he doesn't even think about it, like a sheep grazing herbs.

surfer92

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jun 17, 2016
A game doesn't restrain you to a chair and force you to play. You make the choice to play.

True because I get an instant release of dopamine from getting a kill or winning a round and since I like the feeling I want to play more and more!

Even if the OP's friend isn't playing for money, does that really make him wrong?

No of course not. I spend time watching others play games to entertain myself.

Have you considered the horse may not want to drink your water?

Yes, I can share my views of why but if they don't agree, that's there choice and so be it! :)

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Yep... I think about my colleague who spends a lot of his time during work hours watching games streams, reading games related forums,... all this thinking about which game he gonna buy once he'll got his salary or next Steam reductions day. He has no vision of his future, he doesn't even think about it, like a sheep grazing herbs.

Oh the horror. He has a hobby he enjoys and is really into. Shame on him, he should spend his time trying to live up to your high and mighty ideals.

$pendi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 7, 2017
Miami
You gotta calm down there a lil' bit though... You shouldn't just bump people into such a generalized category like that just because the program shows a certain amount of hours "played". I can assure you that less than 50% of those hours are actually active. For example, I have about 7,000 hours on a game that came out a year ago. Anyone with half a brain would be able to assume that me (as a high school student) would not physically be able to clock in that much time into a game. I would just leave the game open all of the time doing its own things since the game had those features.

Although, this guy you are referencing is a dumbass for what he said you also have to realize that he is the 99% of the population. Remember that the only reason that this forum exists is because of people like him.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.