The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Coconut oil vs canola oil

ProblemSolving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 4, 2017
?
At the supermarket today, I was about to buy coconut oil.
A quick look online said that coconut oil less healthy than the canola oil.

But I was still compelled to buy coconut oil.
Why?
Because coconut oil was more scarce.
Plus the beautiful, healthy looking package.
Plus the higher price.

So it's a good marketing lesson.
But it's a bad health decision to get coconut oil.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Canola oil has major ties to the food processing industry so naturally, there will be propaganda out there promoting it's benefits and denouncing the benefits of whatever alternatives are trendy.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Pretty sure canola oil pretty regularly makes the "avoid this shit" lists pretty much everywhere, and where it doesn't I've never seen it on top of the other healthier oils like avocado, coconut, olive, etc...

Personally I use ghee (clarified butter) for cooking, because it makes everything taste better. Everything!
I use olive oil for mostly cold applications (dressings and marinades and such)
I only grab for the "shit" oils (canolda, corn, veg, etc..) when I'm basically deep frying. And if I'm deep frying - I'm not terribly concerned with health at that moment.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
In years past the coconut oils, lard, and butter have been shown to be good choices compared to hydrogenated shortening and margarines. The Scandinavians consume a lot of canola oil, just like the Italians consume olive oil, and they have good longevity and low rates of heart disease compared to the US. I try to cook with coconut oil over olive oil because olive oil forms double bonds and oxidizes when exposed to high heat. I reserve good California EVOO for dressing pasta and salads and things. Only grass fed butter for my toast, rich in vitamin K2 and heart protecting substances. Yum!

TheNewRich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
May 17, 2017
usa
The only oil I use for cooking is coconut oil. It is a way way way better choice, stick with Coconut oil..... Avoid Canola, Vegetable etc.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
Coconut oil and olive oil are the only oils I use. I've heard great things about avocado oil and grape seed oil but haven't used it. Those other oils are extremely processed and will have you on the phone dialing blue cross customer service asking for the silver or gold package. I hope people begin to take their health very serious and know that there is a direct relationship with the food and pharmaceutical industries. Your never 100% safe because all the foods in the store is still refined or sprayed with something a little bit. Unless of course your growing your own food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
I use pretty much anything natural. Coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, grass-fed butter, tallow, pastured lard, duck fat.

You may argue that these are all unhealthy, but remember: these are the oils/fats people used for cooking before the obesity crisis was a thing.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
With so much conflicting information on the subject of health and diet, the best advice I can give is to enjoy everything in moderation. We know our ancestors enjoyed eating copious amounts of fat, and they also died in their thirties or early forties from any number of maladies, usually before late age diseases like heart disease and cancer could set in. Benjamin Franklin lived to be a ripe old 84, and he died in 1790! He lived more than twice the average life expectancy of his day, and exceeded the average life expectancy for American males in 2017 as well! He exercised, got plenty of rest, eschewed alcohol and ate lots of vegetables and enjoyed things in moderation.

My mom ate margarine and avoided fats and cooked with olive oil, and yet at 61 she completed a triple heart bypass surgery last summer--clogged arteries. I moderate my fat intake, eat carbs in whole grain form and eat NO refined sugar to lower my overall risk of disease, because going Fastlane demands that you maintain your most precious asset above all else: your health.

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
IMG_0795.jpg

I'll just leave this here.... iodine, Vitamin D and Omega 3s are key vitamins so many people lack. As entrepreneurs we need to be at top performance mentally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Coconut oil and canola oil aren't healthy for most people because they're very high in omega 6's and high in calories. Coconut oil is worse because it contains lots of saturated fat. If you want to help clog your arteries then use coconut oil.

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Apologies for my lack of energy. I was only starting out to make videos.

One of the things I mentioned in the video was that those fats besides the fact that are more stable at higher temperatures, they also help us to get a better ratio between Omega-3 and Omega-6.

An easy explanation I can give to all of you is to see Omega-3 as anti-inflammatory fatty acid and Omega-6 as an inflammatory fatty acid. The truth is that we need both, however, nowadays Americans are eating a ratio of 1 to 16. This means they get a lot more inflammatory than anti-inflammatory fatty acids. And that becomes a problem, or in fact, many.

So an easy solution for avoiding those problems is just to avoid those type of oils as much as possible and to consume a supplement of Omega-3 (if possible).

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Coconut oil and canola oil aren't healthy for most people because they're very high in omega 6's and high in calories. Coconut oil is worse because it contains lots of saturated fat. If you want to help clog your arteries then use coconut oil.

MCT Saturated Fats are slightly different than most saturated fats. MCT fats are actually good for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.