The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't know where to start? A guide to choosing an industry and cold emailing.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Don't know where to start? A guide to choosing an industry and cold emailing.

OK first thing's first: Go read the GOLD - No network? No money? No idea? No education? NO PROBLEM! thread by @IceCreamKid.

This post will be addressing step one of the above thread:

1. Find the top 100 performers in XYZ niche and contact them through various methods for an interview.

So first thing we need to do is to pick an industry. How do we know which industry to pick?

Here are ten criteria that I like to use when selecting an industry to target:

Criteria Number 1: The business currently pays for tools of some kind that increase their efficiency or profitability. This shows that they are interested in taking initiative to grow.
Criteria Number 2: Lucrative (highly profitably) industries are preferred.
Criteria Number 3: Has a profit driven business mindset.
Criteria Number 4: More than 10,000 businesses (or more) in the market.
Criteria Number 5: Reachable by phone, email, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or message boards.
Criteria Number 6: Can get person with pain point on the phone
Criteria Number 7: The average successful business earns at least $100k per year in revenue, and ideally profit (estimate this).
Criteria Number 8: The business will not have to change their behavior that much when they use whatever you eventually sell them.
Criteria Number 9: The industry has minimum 0.5% annualized growth until 2021.
Criteria Number 10: The industry is spread out geographically.

Now you may be asking, where will I find all this data.
Here is the main source that I use: IBISworld Industry Reports
(Tip: You may be able to get full access to all the reports through an old university account.)

Throw all your potential industries into a spreadsheet along with all the data from IBISworld:

upload_2017-7-25_22-49-43.png

I assign a weight to each criteria and quantitatively rank each industry by normalizing the data points. This is basically a decision matrix as MJ mentions in his books. I then compare the top 5 ranked industries with the three main criteria, average revenue, margin, and growth. Depending on how you weigh each criteria, you will get a different result.

upload_2017-7-25_22-48-56.png

Choose your industry from your top five results. Or choose a different industry that didn't make top 5, but still meet the above criteria. There are business opportunities in all industries, we just want to increase the probability of success.

Next we need to niche down, please see the difference between industry and niche in this thread: Target Market vs. Ideal Client

To pick a niche within the industry I recommend looking at the current hot trends in the industry. These can be found by Google search and looking at what the top movers and shakers are doing in the industry.

Speaking of the movers and shakers -- how do we find the top 100 performers in our chosen niche?

As suggested by ICK:
1. If your niche is more of a local thing, get on Yelp and observe the reviews. Check who has a lot of reviews or many customers then pick up the phone and call them.

2. Join associations on LinkedIn and message the movers n' shakers through PM there. It is imperative that you join associations so that you don't look like some random spammer. If you're in the same club as someone that you're trying to get in contact with then they're more likely to be open to speaking with you.

To add on to this, I suggest looking at who is spending money on advertising. Keep your eye out for local billboards, see who ranks high in Google, see who stands out in terms of website design/content.

A quick and dirty way to get the top 100 off Yelp is to use Web Scraper for Chrome. It's easy to scrape the company names, website, phone, and address within a couple minutes. I can share my Yelp scraper script if people are interested.

Next comes the dirty grunt work. Visiting each site and finding the decision makers name and contact email.

I will not get too far into detail about finding email addresses as other posts already have done so, but here are some of the tools that I use for finding email addresses.

1. Whois lookup (sometimes the domain owner is the decision maker)
2. Email Permutator (copy paste this result into 3)
3. Bulk email verification
4. Single email verification (I use a combination of 3 & 4)
5. Linkedin Xray Search (search business name and "owner")
6. BBB

Once you have captured all the names and email addresses of the top 100 you can now send them an email. There are multiple services that you can use for a bulk email like this, MailCheat(Chimp), Mailerlite, ConvertKit, Quickmail, HubSpot, the list goes on. However, most of these are paid services geared towards professional bloggers and will ban you if they think you are not complying to anti-spam laws.

Personally, I like to use YAMM, as it allows for complete customization and it works off a Google Sheet, and best off all it's free for up to 50 emails a day. Add some referral emails and you can send 400 emails a day -- more than enough for what we are doing now. I recommend tracking open, reply and bounce rates as well. If you want you can split test multiple subject lines or content by making a separate column for that in your Google Sheet.

I recommend trying to find something you have in common with each decision maker on your list and add this as an intro sentence on top of your standard email. Maybe you went to the same university, maybe you saw a blog post they wrote and it stood out to you, maybe you both love hot dogs. Whatever it is, just try and build some rapport in the intro sentence.

Give this article a read, it is written by the founder of Quickmail. He also has a book on cold emailing if you are interested.

In your email I suggest you politely give a call to action to schedule an interview or call with you. You can provide them with a Calendly link that will allow them to schedule a call directly into your calendar.

You must have an attitude of servitude at all times during this process. You are in it to help them.

It's that easy! Now get talking to people. "Spend your money on diesel and coffee"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser450

1. Can you explain how this has worked for your current business?
2. What are your current open/response rates for unsolicited email?
3. Who should I migrate my mail to after google disables my account for spamming with yamm?

In all seriousness, great intent, but a little fast and loose with accepted mail practices. In fact, instead of emailing, I'd recommend working harder to warm up the lead through social and messaging them there.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
1. Can you explain how this has worked for your current business?
2. What are your current open/response rates for unsolicited email?
3. Who should I migrate my mail to after google disables my account for spamming with yamm?

In all seriousness, great intent, but a little fast and loose with accepted mail practices. In fact, instead of emailing, I'd recommend working harder to warm up the lead through social and messaging them there.

On past campaigns I have seen around 80% open rates and 50% reply/click rates. I consider a click as valuable as a reply as the link I send is to schedule a call. I am still in the process of taking calls with decision makers, but I have had a lot of valuable conversations with industry leaders and uncovered many potential problems that I could solve.

I would rather spend 80% of my time uncovering a really painful problem and understanding all the dynamics around that problem and the other 20% of my time building a solution for that problem.

I agree that it would be a great intermediate task to warm up potential clients by reaching out through social media first. Great tip.

I haven’t had any problems with being reported as spam, if you are offering yourself in a genuine way willing provide value to people’s lives they are generally very accepting. Make sure if you are using a new gmail account you “warm up” your account by sending and receiving small quantities of emails before sending in bulk. If you are still worried about getting banned, send the emails in smaller chunks using YAMM.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
I'll leave my market analysis spreadsheet here for anyone who wants to make use of it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Market Analysis - Fastlane Forum.xlsx
    53.2 KB · Views: 29

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I've done something similar for a while now and,
now, starting to offer it as a service to others.

Working out the kinks for sure, but I dig using
mailshake for what you're currently doing.

It has a lot of very useful automation features
that I have not seen anyone else come up with for
cold outreach.

For example, if you send someone an email, you can
have automation rules in place to send them follow
up if a condition is met, such as if they open it,
if they've clicked on a link, etc.

You can pretty much send as many of these things
as you want as long as you don't run afoul of
Gmail's smtp quota's.

Right now I've pretty much jimmy rigged a system
that sends out 600 emails a day to targeted leads.

Are all of them interested?

No, but that's ok because this thing allows for massive
value gives, connections, conversations and OPPORTUNITY.

Anyways, this tool has helped me do a lot of cool stuff
in a b2b lead gen capacity.

Shows you open rates, click rates, bounce rates, how
many times client viewed emails and more.

The other cool benefit is they provide for
CAN-SPAMM opt out compliance stuff, which is
always pretty useful.

Right now using the system to generate a
guaranteed deal for 2 clients that I'm working
with.

Should be an interesting case study.

Thanks for the YAMM alternative recommendation.

Regards,

Los

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Working out the kinks for sure, but I dig using
mailshake for what you're currently doing.
Since I posted this, I actually switched to using a LinkedIn strategy. Getting much higher response rates since they are basically a warm lead after connecting for the first time, plus they see mutual connections.

This method actually landed me a really nice partnership opportunity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.