The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Naming Your Startup or New Company: Practical Tips and Helpful Tools

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Hey ya'll,

As you may know, I'm almost a month into my new SaaS Software Startup (you can read about the project or participate on this thread!)

I was able to make it a month deep into the project before picking a final name for my company. But, at a certain point I had to move forward and select a name.

I don't want ANYONE to "get stuck" on picking a name for their Company.
Two reasons:
1) Your Execution and Process matters *much more* than the Event of picking a Company Name.
2) Picking a Company Name doesn't need to take weeks (Paul Graham, founder of Y Combinator, says he and the founders of multi-billion payment company Stripe 'came up with name in 20 minutes.')

So, it's much more important to build a good company than to pick a name.
But, it's undeniable - a BAD NAME can sink your company.

A BAD NAME can hurt your ability to scale and grow.
A BAD NAME can get you into copyright troubles or other legal issues.
A BAD NAME can confuse or mislead your customers.
A BAD NAME can impact your company for years or decades.

So, this thread is about TACTICS and TOOLS for picking a New Company Name.
It's from a "Software Company" point of view, but I believe it's applicable to almost any entrepreneur.

Hope you enjoy!

--------------- Don't Name Your Company for What It Does --------------

Feel free to disagree with ALL of the following.
But here's what I think I've learned in my research:

- The STRONGEST names are completely made-up: 'Kodak', etc.
- VERY STRONG names are made of two existing words: 'FaceBook', 'Pinterest', etc.
- STRONG names are using unrelated marks together: 'Apple Computers,' etc.
- WEAK names use words connected to their industry: "Fast Cleaning," etc
- The WEAKEST names use un-trademarkable terms in related industries: 'Texas Computer Repair Guy #2, Inc'

Surprisingly, this means that naming your company after what it does is actually a BAD thing in most cases.

This blew my mind when I realized it, but it seems confirmed almost everywhere I look:

Strong Global Brands named after nonsense:
"Jimmy Johns" <- how would you know that's a sandwich shop?
"Uber" <- how would you know that's a transportation company?
"Mac" <- did this make anyone think of computing before Steve Jobs? Nope.

Then driving down the road today I see...

Weak Local Brands named after what they do:
"Texas Limo Company" <- Boring, unmemorable name. Anyone expect this brand to do super-well because of how great its name is?
"Speedy Sprinkler Repair" <--- I wonder how many identically-named competitors exist in the US... do you think that helps or hurts this business when it tries to scale up?
"Panda Tutoring" <--- Basically similar problems to the above-two.

You don't have to take my word for it.
Start looking around the world outside you.

Huge, global, fast-scaling brands have ONE type of names.
Small, local, unscaleable brands have ANOTHER type of names.

Try to notice the differences between them, and think for yourself.

----------- My Key Criteria for Naming Your Company -----------

To help make my search quicker I made the following list of top criteria.

Remember, it's largely about avoiding a BAD name.
You have to DISCARD a lot of options that you might like at first.
Keep brainstorming, then apply these criteria to your ideas.
  • Entire Name is 10 characters or less. Long names are harder to remember, harder to type, and easier to mispell or mis-hear. 10 characters or less is the sweet spot.
  • Business Name is difficult to mis-spell or mis-hear. Carefully evaluate the name as if its the first time you heard it, and you're on a crackly cell phone with static. You want a name that would be VERY HARD to mis-hear or mis-spell. Make it so easy that a kindergardner could spell it correctly after hearing the word one time. Think anyone would get the spelling of 'Facebook' wrong?
  • EXACT '.com' domain for your Business Name is available. Don't compromise or you'll regret it. '.com' is still the standard. And, you want the EXACT domain for your business name... not "getmycompany" or "my-company" or "my.company" or "mycompanysoft". Get "mycompany.com" or find a new name idea.
  • Name is Memorable.This is obviously subjective, but do your best here. Get external feedback if you can. Do your friends and family remember your EXACT Business Name Idea in a week, without prompting? If not, it's not very memorable.
  • No competitors (similar names, concepts, or sounds) in Google. This rule is tough to follow, but you MUST. Even if the domain is available, there may be other products, websites, or businesses for related concepts or similar-sounding names. Google is your friend. IMMEDIATELY discard any Business Name Ideas with similar pre-existing companies or products.
  • A Company Name you're proud of and excited to say out loud. After everything is said and done, you must be PROUD to say your company name. Try it out loud. "I'm the founder of Oogaloo." Does that get you psyched up? Do you look in the mirror and feel like a tiger? You'll probably be stuck with this name for 5-7 years a minimum... make sure YOU think it's cool. Try giving your favorite name ideas a week, then coming back to see if they still resonate.
  • Nothing forced, keep looking for ‘lightbulb’ names. Never 'force' a name to fit a company. If a name doesn't 'click the lightbulb' for you, then discard it - even if it fits all the criteria above.

If you can't tell, this is a pretty HARD list to satisfy!

But, if you can discard any name that breaks these rules, you will almost certainly avoid a BAD name that will hurt your company's growth in the future.

This is why I take a "brainstorm" approach over a period of 1-2 weeks. Push yourself to come up with 2 good Company name ideas each morning and each evening. In a week, you'll have almost 30 name ideas! Then you can narrow down using the criteria above.

---------------- Other Incredibly Useful Resources for Naming Your Company -----------

Favorite In-Depth Article: '16 Tips for Picking the Perfect Startup Name'
I read at least 10 articles on naming new companies, and this was my favorite. If you don't get a ton of ideas from this article, you aren't reading closely enough. Take written notes!

Favorite Tools (make a bookmark folder of these - you might want them all open at once):
  • NameMesh.com - Input 2-3 base keywords and it generates hundreds of interesting variations. Of course, many of them are NOT ".com", which is really what you want.
  • 123Finder.com - Seeks out available URLs, limited by character length ('no URLs longer than 8 characters). Most are ugly, but can help you envision what's actually available out there in the "URLs less than 10 characters" range.
  • Naque's Word Mixer - A personal favorite, if you have some patience. Add 2-5 words and it will randomly mix them up into 2- and 3-syllable nonsense combinations. Easy to find available '.com' domains from the results... if you can find a combo that sounds good and makes sense.
  • Naminum.com - Input 1 base keyword and it generates about a hundred variations by adding suffixes or prefixes. Creates some very cool-sounding Company Name ideas based on familiar words; then check if the '.com' of that word is available.
  • NameBird - I haven't used as much, but despite this website's cheap appearance, it looks very powerful to me. It can also filter for taken '.com' words, which could save you a TON of time. I should use this more now that I see this.
  • Naque's Word Generator - rapidly creates lists of 'nonsense' words that don't exist yet. Most of the results are ugly or ridiculous, but you'll occasionally spot some ideas that you can mix into the other tools in this list.
  • Thesaurus.com - Step away from the ultra-common words like "Fast" and find awesome synonyms with an online thesaurus. Then you can mix those words into the tools above and start coming up with crazy Company Name combinations, really quickly!
--------------------------------

Hope this helps other folks who are coming up with Company Names and want to avoid common mistakes and Bad Names, but also want to move forward on building their companies without getting stuck on naming for weeks on end!

If you have any questions, just ask!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
- VERY STRONG names are made of two existing words: 'FaceBook', 'Pinterest', etc.
- The WEAKEST names use un-trademarkable terms in related industries: 'Texas Computer Repair Guy #2, Inc'

A lot of good in this post, but I disagree with this.

Let's say I'm a plumbing contracting company. Naming my business "Uber" is stupid. Nobody is going to find me or know what I do. They have have to investigate me just to find out the basics.

Now, what if I call myself "Plumbers Direct"? Suddenly my potential customers know what I do. Path of least resistance.

Naming a company is hugely subjective. A just two hugely successful companies here in the U.K. That came to mind which break your rules.

WeBuyAnyCar.com
InjuryLawyers4U (I mean just look at that ugly a$$ name, but it's memorable.)

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
A lot of good in this post, but I disagree with this.

Let's say I'm a plumbing contracting company. Naming my business "Uber" is stupid. Nobody is going to find me or know what I do. They have have to investigate me just to find out the basics.

Now, what if I call myself "Plumbers Direct"? Suddenly my potential customers know what I do. Path of least resistance.

Naming a company is hugely subjective. A just two hugely successful companies here in the U.K. That came to mind which break your rules.

WeBuyAnyCar.com
InjuryLawyers4U (I mean just look at that ugly a$$ name, but it's memorable.)

Heh, true. Honestly my list is complete nonsense, purely subjective - but if it gets people thinking, I'm happy :)

There are HUGGEEEEEEEE global businesses built that completely violate every 'rule' I've suggested.

Go with whatever works! It's about the process and the hard work anyway, not the name!

EDIT: One other thing - by "STRONGEST" vs "WEAKEST" I partially meant from a Trademark point of view.
In a naming dispute or contest, it's much harder to defend a startup named "Injury Lawyers 4 All" than one named "Kodak" or "Google".

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
I can see value in both opinions on this. Some thoughts:

Waspy's point is very good, for specialized businesses. For folks that know what they do, and know they will continue to do that exclusively this is an appropriate tactic.

I can see the value in Young-Gun's approach as well for those of us entrepreneurs that don't want to be shoehorned into one thing and one thing only. If I named my business "JMusic's Website Design co." it would be harder to pivot even if I wanted to start side offerings ancillary to my core business, like SEO or back-end SaaS type products.

Trouble is, the whole thing can easily become a quagmire of action-faking. After awhile of playing around with the tools, I'm realizing that I'm thinking too hard and should just pick one and go!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Strong post although I might disagree on just a wee bit of it. Rep+

Also I want to make mention that I spend an hour a GoDaddy the other night just to see what kind of domains where still available: I was quite shocked to learn there are a TON of brandable dot-coms still unregistered. If you're saying "All the good dot coms are gone!" my guess is you aren't thinking out of the box and being creative enough.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
Yup. I found some promising .coms with some mashups I made using NameMesh (from above) then looking to see if they're available to register. I won't be sharing them here though for obvious reasons. :)

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I don't know, in my opinion I think the cool technological companies can get away with non-releated words like uber and Apple. Internet related businesses should have those cool looking names, for example Spotify or Shazam.

When it comes to an industry service like plumbing and laundry, then it makes sense to include a word related to what it is your company services. Like for example, Plumbers Direct.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't know, in my opinion I think the cool technological companies can get away with non-releated words like uber and Apple. Internet related businesses should have those cool looking names, for example Spotify or Shazam.

When it comes to an industry service like plumbing and laundry, then it makes sense to include a word related to what it is your company services. Like for example, Plumbers Direct.
Name your company however you want. Have domain names that are fit for purpose. They don't have to be the same...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Shreyas Nampalli

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jan 3, 2017
NJ
Hey ya'll,

As you may know, I'm almost a month into my new SaaS Software Startup (you can read about the project or participate on this thread!)

I was able to make it a month deep into the project before picking a final name for my company. But, at a certain point I had to move forward and select a name.

I don't want ANYONE to "get stuck" on picking a name for their Company.
Two reasons:
1) Your Execution and Process matters *much more* than the Event of picking a Company Name.
2) Picking a Company Name doesn't need to take weeks (Paul Graham, founder of Y Combinator, says he and the founders of multi-billion payment company Stripe 'came up with name in 20 minutes.')

So, it's much more important to build a good company than to pick a name.
But, it's undeniable - a BAD NAME can sink your company.

A BAD NAME can hurt your ability to scale and grow.
A BAD NAME can get you into copyright troubles or other legal issues.
A BAD NAME can confuse or mislead your customers.
A BAD NAME can impact your company for years or decades.

So, this thread is about TACTICS and TOOLS for picking a New Company Name.
It's from a "Software Company" point of view, but I believe it's applicable to almost any entrepreneur.

Hope you enjoy!

--------------- Don't Name Your Company for What It Does --------------

Feel free to disagree with ALL of the following.
But here's what I think I've learned in my research:

Surprisingly, this means that naming your company after what it does is actually a BAD thing in most cases.

This blew my mind when I realized it, but it seems confirmed almost everywhere I look:

Strong Global Brands named after nonsense:
"Jimmy Johns" <- how would you know that's a sandwich shop?
"Uber" <- how would you know that's a transportation company?
"Mac" <- did this make anyone think of computing before Steve Jobs? Nope.

Then driving down the road today I see...

Weak Local Brands named after what they do:
"Texas Limo Company" <- Boring, unmemorable name. Anyone expect this brand to do super-well because of how great its name is?
"Speedy Sprinkler Repair" <--- I wonder how many identically-named competitors exist in the US... do you think that helps or hurts this business when it tries to scale up?
"Panda Tutoring" <--- Basically similar problems to the above-two.

You don't have to take my word for it.
Start looking around the world outside you.

Huge, global, fast-scaling brands have ONE type of names.
Small, local, unscaleable brands have ANOTHER type of names.

Try to notice the differences between them, and think for yourself.

----------- My Key Criteria for Naming Your Company -----------

To help make my search quicker I made the following list of top criteria.

Remember, it's largely about avoiding a BAD name.
You have to DISCARD a lot of options that you might like at first.
Keep brainstorming, then apply these criteria to your ideas.
  • Entire Name is 10 characters or less. Long names are harder to remember, harder to type, and easier to mispell or mis-hear. 10 characters or less is the sweet spot.
  • Business Name is difficult to mis-spell or mis-hear. Carefully evaluate the name as if its the first time you heard it, and you're on a crackly cell phone with static. You want a name that would be VERY HARD to mis-hear or mis-spell. Make it so easy that a kindergardner could spell it correctly after hearing the word one time. Think anyone would get the spelling of 'Facebook' wrong?
  • EXACT '.com' domain for your Business Name is available. Don't compromise or you'll regret it. '.com' is still the standard. And, you want the EXACT domain for your business name... not "getmycompany" or "my-company" or "my.company" or "mycompanysoft". Get "mycompany.com" or find a new name idea.
  • Name is Memorable.This is obviously subjective, but do your best here. Get external feedback if you can. Do your friends and family remember your EXACT Business Name Idea in a week, without prompting? If not, it's not very memorable.
  • No competitors (similar names, concepts, or sounds) in Google. This rule is tough to follow, but you MUST. Even if the domain is available, there may be other products, websites, or businesses for related concepts or similar-sounding names. Google is your friend. IMMEDIATELY discard any Business Name Ideas with similar pre-existing companies or products.
  • A Company Name you're proud of and excited to say out loud. After everything is said and done, you must be PROUD to say your company name. Try it out loud. "I'm the founder of Oogaloo." Does that get you psyched up? Do you look in the mirror and feel like a tiger? You'll probably be stuck with this name for 5-7 years a minimum... make sure YOU think it's cool. Try giving your favorite name ideas a week, then coming back to see if they still resonate.
  • Nothing forced, keep looking for ‘lightbulb’ names. Never 'force' a name to fit a company. If a name doesn't 'click the lightbulb' for you, then discard it - even if it fits all the criteria above.
If you can't tell, this is a pretty HARD list to satisfy!

But, if you can discard any name that breaks these rules, you will almost certainly avoid a BAD name that will hurt your company's growth in the future.

This is why I take a "brainstorm" approach over a period of 1-2 weeks. Push yourself to come up with 2 good Company name ideas each morning and each evening. In a week, you'll have almost 30 name ideas! Then you can narrow down using the criteria above.

---------------- Other Incredibly Useful Resources for Naming Your Company -----------

Favorite In-Depth Article: '16 Tips for Picking the Perfect Startup Name'
I read at least 10 articles on naming new companies, and this was my favorite. If you don't get a ton of ideas from this article, you aren't reading closely enough. Take written notes!

Favorite Tools (make a bookmark folder of these - you might want them all open at once):
  • NameMesh.com - Input 2-3 base keywords and it generates hundreds of interesting variations. Of course, many of them are NOT ".com", which is really what you want.
  • 123Finder.com - Seeks out available URLs, limited by character length ('no URLs longer than 8 characters). Most are ugly, but can help you envision what's actually available out there in the "URLs less than 10 characters" range.
  • Naque's Word Mixer - A personal favorite, if you have some patience. Add 2-5 words and it will randomly mix them up into 2- and 3-syllable nonsense combinations. Easy to find available '.com' domains from the results... if you can find a combo that sounds good and makes sense.
  • Naminum.com - Input 1 base keyword and it generates about a hundred variations by adding suffixes or prefixes. Creates some very cool-sounding Company Name ideas based on familiar words; then check if the '.com' of that word is available.
  • NameBird - I haven't used as much, but despite this website's cheap appearance, it looks very powerful to me. It can also filter for taken '.com' words, which could save you a TON of time. I should use this more now that I see this.
  • Naque's Word Generator - rapidly creates lists of 'nonsense' words that don't exist yet. Most of the results are ugly or ridiculous, but you'll occasionally spot some ideas that you can mix into the other tools in this list.
  • Thesaurus.com - Step away from the ultra-common words like "Fast" and find awesome synonyms with an online thesaurus. Then you can mix those words into the tools above and start coming up with crazy Company Name combinations, really quickly!
--------------------------------

Hope this helps other folks who are coming up with Company Names and want to avoid common mistakes and Bad Names, but also want to move forward on building their companies without getting stuck on naming for weeks on end!

If you have any questions, just ask!

So after finding the perfect name for my new business and after buying the domain name i found out that there is an organization with the same name.

Their name just has an "s" at the end making the word plural, is in a different geographical location and has absolutely nothing to do with my business. Their domain also ends with a .org while mine is .com.

So for example ,my site is Hypersalad.com and I sell winter jackets in the US , theirs is Hypersalads.org and they are a group to develop communities in Australia.

Do you think this will cause any problems? Thanks in advance!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.