The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rural areas vs. Urban

Anything related to matters of the mind

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
You will find no science or empirical data here - just conjecture and about a years' worth of personal experience.

I recently moved to a rural area and I love it. Solitude, pleasant people, no traffic, etc., etc.

But the businesses.... They seem to be operating on "island time". Closing early, no call-backs, hours late to appointments. Went into one business and it was like I was bothering him.

I moved from a large city where it always felt like people were hustling. Now that I'm in the country I see the opposite more than I expected.

Now sure, some people move-out here for that pace - but I'm talking about fledgling businesses. Some examples:

I called a "new" landscaper in town for help. Texted for a few days then he disappeared.

Stopped-by a new bakery down the road and the people inside had closed and locked the doors 10 minutes early - this place JUST opened. And they still had product!

Hired a guy for a job on the house - missed the appointment completely (no call/text) then asked to come-by the next day at 7AM. And even then he was three hours late.

I went in one place for some help on my business and the guy (who has my correct e-mail) said he'd follow-up with a quote. Never did. Called him and he said he forgot! I just said "thanks - I'm all set".

Any one have a similar experience or know how to explain it?

/rant.

Note: Upon reflection and re-reading - this isn't rant. I'm worried. I can't exactly describe it, but it's like they either don't care or no one has taught them that with an ounce of hustle they could probably be running a business instead of doing the work themselves...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Fair to say the more relaxed culture in most rural areas attracts people who aren't hyper focussed on maximising the profits in their business or taking much notice of deadlines.

Since I live in a rural area but occasionally visit the cities, I've observed the following-

My city relatives/friends are generally far more formal in communication, have more degrees and awards on walls, are more punctual, make more money on average and generally seem to be doing things at a faster pace and taking them more seriously. They're also far more stressed, worry about a much wider range of things and seem fixated on social status and signs thereof. They also seem quite disconnected from any particular culture, as cities seem to make everyone anonymous. You might drive past a funeral in a city but you almost certainly don't know who it's for.

My rural relatives/friends generally don't bother with formalities in either communicating or education, are more interested in lifestyle than money beyond a certain point of comfort, and generally tend to talk slower and complete tasks more slowly. Some can be relaxed to the point of appearing to be sedated. I've seen accountants and dentists doing their work while seemingly dressed for a beach party.

The more rural you go the more extreme this gets including a few people who just wander off into places with no reception and vaguely indicate when they might be back. I could see how this would get a bit much for someone who had just moved from the city. And this is excluding the dropout stoner types who just settle somewhere and get high while completing just enough work to get by with no real long term interest.

I'd also suggest in smaller towns you have to remember much of the commerce is with people already in your social circle to some degree. Visiting a shop is as much about the chance to talk about various things with the owner who you've been buying things from all your life, as opposed to the city where you're served by someone you may never see again and in and out you go in 2 minutes. And when you need your roof redone you don't google it to get some random person in, you contact your friend who does that or your cousin's husband or the guy you talk to at sports on the weekend.

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
I hate living in a real area, I can't wait to move away. Lots of people looking for handouts, ignorant, and impulse minded. There isn't anything to do around here. The jobs in this area are almost all minimum wage jobs, and I'm so tired of everyone driving and walking around with a cigarette hanging out of there mouth with a dumb impartial look on their face. There is a rant!

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
This is why I call in folks from the big city to fix anything. I do not call the guy down the street. "Everyone" uses him, but he's a. nosy as hell and b. on island time.

And I don't use the other guy down the street either because one day he's going to be that guy on the news. And not on "island time", but more like "island courtesy". "hey man, it's all good if I block your driveway, you work at home, right?". Which is actually fine and I don't say anything back, because one day, he will be that guy on the news...

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I grew up in a mid-size town in the Midwest surrounded by a sea of corn and soybeans. There is this "bare minimum effort" mindset that permeates everything. Businesses don't provide quality, and honestly it seems like a lot of customers aren't willing to pay a premium for quality, speed, and professionalism. The entire culture tends toward the lowest common denominator.

Over time, the problem gets worse because there's this Darwinian selector mechanism whereby anyone with any drive gets the hell out, and so the town gets more saturated in general ennui with each generation.

Think of what the demographics of Illinois are going to be after another 20 years racing to the bottom. It's sad.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
I live in a rural area, but am thirty minutes or so from a small-medium sized city. I feel like I get the best of both worlds.

Honestly, I don't see the stark difference between city/rural. People are people no matter what their environment is. I run into issues with people from all over every day, no matter where they live. Maybe I don't live enough in the backwoods, I don't know.

I like both the city and the country. I could do either. And wherever I lived I would expect people to not follow up/be on time/complete work as promised. That's just the world we live in...and I'm happy when I see it. It means there's still TONS of opportunity for us conscientious entrepreneurs to get out and PROVIDE VALUE!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think it's a product of environment.

The big city is hustle, traffic, people moving quickly -- and it's highly competitive.

The small town is relaxed, no traffic, and slow moving -- and it's not very competitive.

You're not the only one who has noticed:

Rant - The Town With No Hustle

When I first moved from Chicago to Phoenix, I even noticed a difference in service and attentiveness. Mind you back then Phoenix was much smaller. That's one thing I do miss about Chi-town living; the service and attention to detail was always markedly better.

CycleGuy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jan 16, 2015
Midwest
A great book into the insight of rural white areas across the country is Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance.

It shows some major insight on small poor rural areas.

@Veloce Grey is spot on in his observing on both sides as well.

One side thought to add: Op you're an outsider to these rural people. They don't care about you. Most city outsiders come off as pretentious to rural folk. It tends to make them just want you to leave their area and never come back. These people are just close-knit, family oriented, with money being a "worry" but never a priority. I suggest to be as nice to everyone as possible. Maybe volunteer at some type of events to help the community. It will show you're trying to better the area and help others in the town.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Thanks everyone for the responses, including that post on 'The Town with No Hustle' - missed that in my search for other posts.

I noticed another thing, and it's essentially a passage from Unscripted . I used to work-out at a gym with really fit people and I'd drive a bit farther to get there. Here, the nicest gym in town is the YMCA (and it's actually really, really nice). But when I'm the fittest person there we're in trouble.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
One of my motivations to work hard is so that I don't get forced to take a job in the middle of nowhere. It's almost happened many times and I lucked out

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
You will find no science or empirical data here - just conjecture and about a years' worth of personal experience.

I recently moved to a rural area and I love it. Solitude, pleasant people, no traffic, etc., etc.

But the businesses.... They seem to be operating on "island time". Closing early, no call-backs, hours late to appointments. Went into one business and it was like I was bothering him.

I moved from a large city where it always felt like people were hustling. Now that I'm in the country I see the opposite more than I expected.

Now sure, some people move-out here for that pace - but I'm talking about fledgling businesses. Some examples:

I called a "new" landscaper in town for help. Texted for a few days then he disappeared.

Stopped-by a new bakery down the road and the people inside had closed and locked the doors 10 minutes early - this place JUST opened. And they still had product!

Hired a guy for a job on the house - missed the appointment completely (no call/text) then asked to come-by the next day at 7AM. And even then he was three hours late.

I went in one place for some help on my business and the guy (who has my correct e-mail) said he'd follow-up with a quote. Never did. Called him and he said he forgot! I just said "thanks - I'm all set".

Any one have a similar experience or know how to explain it?

/rant.

Note: Upon reflection and re-reading - this isn't rant. I'm worried. I can't exactly describe it, but it's like they either don't care or no one has taught them that with an ounce of hustle they could probably be running a business instead of doing the work themselves...

It's not just small towns. I'm in a mid-market city (~$2.5 mil) and it's as if people don't want to be in business. They'll pay to run ads, but won't return calls. They'll come to do a bid, then won't deliver it. They'll f@@k up on a service call, but won't own it (as happened with the HVAC contractor I fired last week). As a homeowner, it's maddening, but it also presents an opportunity. If you are in any service business, it doesn't take much to stand head and shoulders above the rabble. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
It's not just small towns. I'm in a mid-market city (~$2.5 mil) and it's as if people don't want to be in business. They'll pay to run ads, but won't return calls. They'll come to do a bid, then won't deliver it. They'll f@@k up on a service call, but won't own it (as happened with the HVAC contractor I fired last week). As a homeowner, it's maddening, but it also presents an opportunity. If you are in any service business, it doesn't take much to stand head and shoulders above the rabble. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!

That size of market is suitably anonymous that someone could do a really bad job and still be in business if they're getting fresh customers in at a low enough cost. Not a great plan but possible to still exist.

In a small town if they mess up really badly a few times then word gets around very quickly and if there's any alternative option they'll be in trouble. People in small towns are very happy to tell you when someone did a really good job, and a thousand times keener to tell you when someone did a bad one.

My sisters would never bother checking something like Yelp as they've already heard countless reviews of just about every business and professional in town from their friends. And having overheard a few of these conversations, when they run out of comments on the service provided, they just happily continue on discussing the personal life and backstory of the business owner or professional in very minute detail. It's actually hard to avoid learning everyone else's business.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
As someone who's worked in a small store in the country...imagine getting five customers after 4 pm in six months. Leaving at 4:50 doesn't seem like a big deal because the odds of a customer coming in is almost 0. But if you say you're going to be open until 5 then you should be open until 5. Not calling someone back is dumb no matter what. That's why you're in business in the first place!

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Honestly, I don't see the stark difference between city/rural. People are people no matter what their environment is. I run into issues with people from all over every day, no matter where they live.
My experience has been like that of @cutthroughstatic, I've had terrible service in the city as well as the country. I've also noticed excellent service in the country as well as the city.
If you are in any service business, it doesn't take much to stand head and shoulders above the rabble.
Regardless, I'd guess that @LuckyPup is right on the money!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.