The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Long time wantrepreneur...

Tim Monda

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 9, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hey Gang,
I've read MJ's books and am definitely a fan of the Fastlane approach. Admittedly, I've been a wantrepreneur since ready The 4 Hour Work Week back in 2011. I've read dozens of business books and not made a lot actually happen for myself. I've half assed a couple physical product ideas that never got out the door, joined Amway for a year and half, then just cruised in my cushy engineering job for several years. I somewhat recently decided to give it another go and see if I could make a SaaS product. I chose the craft beer brewing market due to the fact that it is a booming industry in my area (Seattle, WA). I approached several breweries and literally discussed their businesses and the pains they have in daily operations. I was essentially handed an idea for a software product by 3 breweries in this area. This is the direction I'm going now.

A little more background on myself. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I worked for Boeing in Seattle for the past 6 years. But after saving up a good chunk of cash I decided to quit that job in Sept 2016, do some traveling, and work on my entrepreneurial dreams. And that's what I did. I just got back from 4 months traveling SE Asia and had an awesome time. To bring in some bucks now, I'm doing some freelance/contract mechanical engineering. I've also picked up photography over the past couple years and shot for a couple locals brands in the Seattle area. But I have a dream to create a real product business and that is where I am focusing more on now.

The good news is I have 3 breweries in my area that have discussed this pain they have and that my software could solve. My problem has been in the execution of the idea. I am not a programmer and so I need to rely on someone technical to get the product built. However I feel like I probably could have figured out how to code this thing up myself by now had I just tried to learn. I'm sure this is a somewhat commonly discussed topic here. Nonetheless, I brought on a technical co founder, but I did a shitty job vetting him and he turned out to not have the actual skills required to get the job done. We recently parted ways, thankfully, and I'm in the market for a new technical person. However, I'm also considering outsourcing the project overseas to 1) save money of dev costs and 2) not give up any equity yet.

After reading Unscripted , I decided I should join this community. I only have a couple friends interested in entrepreneurship and would like to change that.

Thanks Everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro and a formidable background as well. Love the idea you are pursuing.

Thank you for joining and welcome.

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Hey @Tim Monda - Dan Norris has a startup craft brewery here in Australia called Black Hops. Dan sold his last business WP Curve to GoDaddy in the past twelve months and has written a book on it called "Operation Brewery". It might be worth reading that book for some insights into how they think about their business - bit of market research for you.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
[Fellow engineer here.....]

Quit considering and start doing.

What will you have done by this time next week?

Start a slack.com team and start fleshing this out and setting up some milestones.

Get something done!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tim Monda

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 9, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hey @Tim Monda - Dan Norris has a startup craft brewery here in Australia called Black Hops. Dan sold his last business WP Curve to GoDaddy in the past twelve months and has written a book on it called "Operation Brewery". It might be worth reading that book for some insights into how they think about their business - bit of market research for you.
Hey Sean! Thanks for this info. I will definitely check out that book.

Tim Monda

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 9, 2015
Seattle, WA
[Fellow engineer here.....]

Quit considering and start doing.

What will you have done by this time next week?

Start a slack.com team and start fleshing this out and setting up some milestones.

Get something done!!
Thanks for the push! And respect to a fellow engineer.
Next week I plan to have my app wire frames sent to at least 5 developers for quotes. I will report back!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...