The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ethics

Yashvi Divecha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 5, 2017
India
I have read The Millionaire Fastlane and it has completely changed my perspective towards life and goals.
Sharing my first experience at my first job and why I refused 9 to 5 and making my way towards Entrepreneurship.
I was always scared of listening to my inner self and constantly pursued things that were easy(for a temporary period).

After getting a degree in Accounting I joined an accounting firm to gain experience in this field.
A new law (GST) is passed and it is going to change the taxation structure in India.
We were told to prepare presentations to help the client understand how it will impact the business. As I finished, I sent it to my manager for review and was asked to delete a few slides from it. But if I were the client I would want those files to be included in my presentation as it would have a huge impact on my business (Not going in to the practicalities). After a long discussion it was finalised that those files have to be deleted and I was supposed to follow the instructions.

On the final day, my manager asked me if everything was ready, I agreed, I never deleted those slides from the presentation and he had to present it to the client against his wish.
The client changed his perspective which in turn caused lesser revenue to my firm.

At the end of the day the higher authorities asked an explanation for my behavior, I expected they would fire me from the job very same moment but they didn't do so. When I shared this with my trusted aide, he immediately disagreed with my behavior and lectured me for not getting a hike or bonus at the end of the year or no promotion.

We have learned about Ethics in school that is what I followed that day. My inner self denied to agree with the manager's decision. I was scared at the very first moment but later I was happy that what I have done is something right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
We have learned about Ethics in school that is what I followed that day. My inner self denied to agree with the manager's decision. I was scared at the very first moment but later I was happy that what I have done is something right.

You didn't do anything right. You embarrassed your boss, as he had to present material he was not expecting to present. This was sneaky, underhanded, and unprofessional.

You agreed to delete the slides, and then you didn't delete the slides. You broke his trust.

The correct approach would have been:

Boss: "I need you to delete the slides".

You: "No, I'm not going to delete the slides".

Boss: "I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. Delete the Slides".

You: "I understand that you are telling me to delete the slides. However, I'm not going to delete the slides".

This is almost word for word a conversation I had with my building principal on my last year of teaching. Just replace "delete the slides" with "be here on the Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving break".

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
You didn't do anything right. You embarrassed your boss, as he had to present material he was not expecting to present. This was sneaky, underhanded, and unprofessional.

You agreed to delete the slides, and then you didn't delete the slides. You broke his trust.

The correct approach would have been:

Boss: "I need you to delete the slides".

You: "No, I'm not going to delete the slides".

Boss: "I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. Delete the Slides".

You: "I understand that you are telling me to delete the slides. However, I'm not going to delete the slides".

This is almost word for word a conversation I had with my building principal on my last year of teaching. Just replace "delete the slides" with "be here on the Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving break".
Agreed. Raise your ethical concerns properly - first directly to the manager, and then above them if it doesn't get resolved. If you get fired and it isn't resolved, contact the regulatory agency over the accountants.
Blindsiding your boss is just embarrassing for everyone, and in the US they could probably go after you for damages due to loss of business based directly on your actions.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
This is an interesting thread to me because I highly value ethics & morals. I'm not saying that I'm perfect in adhering to my principles, but just that they are very important to me.

@Yashvi Divecha, I think the other members have given you some helpful suggestions to better apply your ethics in your job and I have little more to add to their comments. I will commend you though for trying to do what you thought best. Kudos! Next time you will be better prepared to stand for your principles. It will happen again. Don't give up and don't give in!

BTW, I've been in ethically challenging situations many times and tried to handle them in various ways. No 1 solution has worked out consistently...I believe one's response has to be tailored to the people and the context.

Best Wishes!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
In every job I've ever had I've held to me ethics and it's going up to bat with those who may not be ethical. In my case, I wasn't going down for other individuals, and really never got anything but a warning. I think you're the only one who will look out for yourself in this world. There are consequences and I suppose it depends on the situation, the price you will pay, and consequences for actions.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I have read The Millionaire Fastlane and it has completely changed my perspective towards life and goals.
Sharing my first experience at my first job and why I refused 9 to 5 and making my way towards Entrepreneurship.
I was always scared of listening to my inner self and constantly pursued things that were easy(for a temporary period).

After getting a degree in Accounting I joined an accounting firm to gain experience in this field.
A new law (GST) is passed and it is going to change the taxation structure in India.
We were told to prepare presentations to help the client understand how it will impact the business. As I finished, I sent it to my manager for review and was asked to delete a few slides from it. But if I were the client I would want those files to be included in my presentation as it would have a huge impact on my business (Not going in to the practicalities). After a long discussion it was finalised that those files have to be deleted and I was supposed to follow the instructions.

On the final day, my manager asked me if everything was ready, I agreed, I never deleted those slides from the presentation and he had to present it to the client against his wish.
The client changed his perspective which in turn caused lesser revenue to my firm.

At the end of the day the higher authorities asked an explanation for my behavior, I expected they would fire me from the job very same moment but they didn't do so. When I shared this with my trusted aide, he immediately disagreed with my behavior and lectured me for not getting a hike or bonus at the end of the year or no promotion.

Let's be real here - you were dishonest. If you had told your higher ups that you did not intend to delete the slides that would have been better, but instead you tried to make a statement out of it. I respect your intentions and you should of course do what you think is right, but in my opinion you went about it the wrong way.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You cost your employer money. When you're an employee you must be a team player or be prepared to no longer be an employee. What if it was your company. Management gets to make the decisions. Sometimes your opinion might be welcome but after you have given it, you should follow orders.

This will happen again. Think twice about being right.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.