The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Diving in entrepreneurship

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

Deleted48117

If you'd like to read my introduction post, here's the link. Thank you.

4 years. It's been almost 4 years since I hopped on the internet marketing train.

And here's my brutal truth : I've never achieved anything significant in it.

Creating WordPress blogs, posting 2 or 3 articles. Giving up. Repeat a dozen times.
Having this amazing idea, creating mockups. Giving up. Repeat a dozen times.
Having this amazing idea ... Giving up.

It was just an idea anyway. I'm the "Idea Entrepreneur". Heck, the "idea guy" is a better fit.

"Oh look man, I've had this idea. Oh look, they raised 1 million €. That could've been me".
"Oh look man, I've had this idea. Oh look, they get 500.000 visitors/mo. I could've done that".

All the things I could've been, done, and have.

If only I hadn't been action-faking.
If only I hadn't lack execution.
Discipline.
Drive.

Enough.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwMVMbmQBug

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
This post is NOT about change or "Diving in entrepreneurship". It is NOT a Progress Thread. What this post is, IS another action fake. #WalkTheTalk #Landfill

Last edited:
D

Deleted48117

Here we go.

I won't reveal the idea ; however, what I can tell you is that I intend to connect people looking for a specific service, and people offering this service.
You might call it lead generation. I'm okay with that.

Does it make CENTS?
Control: this would be a web platform so I will have total control over it ; traffic would mainly come from paid advertising and search engine results.

Entry: this platform requires to be developed ; I consider this to be a barrier to entry. As for now, I have two options: learn to code (I have some knowledge, but I need to learn and practice the hell of if I plan to do it alone (was thinking RoR)), or ask a dev friend to help me in this venture.

Need: according to ME (and my research), there's a big need/gap. However, it's just ME. So I need to validate this first.

Time: as it is an internet venture, this would be detached from my time as it grows.

Scale: scale is limited to the number of pros in this industry. As I mentioned in my introduction post, it's more than 15.000. People looking for this service is approximatively equivalent, and will only grow in the future.

So, what is the first step?

Validate the idea
In order to validate the idea, I need to have the people offering the service (let's call them "the pros") showing a proof of interest. By "proof of interest", I mean that they would consider paying for the service I intend to provide (or at least register on it).
Also, I would LOVE to have people looking for the service (let's call them "the clients") to show a proof of interest. At the moment, I don't know how I'll do this. Food for thought.

To do so ...

• I need to setup a landing page:
    • create the landing page (either using a template or creating it from scratch => involves learning HTML/CSS + webdesign, eventually motion design).
    • write copy to present my offer: actually reading "Copywriting 101 — How to Craft Compelling Copy" from Copyblogger.
    • write a lead magnet to encourage pros to show a proof of interest.
    • + proof of interest from clients (haven't found a solution since I wrote it above).
  • Then drive traffic to it:
    • Pros: with Facebook Ads, which means I gotta define who is my target (age, gender, interests, education, etc.).
    • Clients: with Google Ads (almost no competition, low CPC).
  • So I can collect emails with a subscription form (thought of MailCheat(Chimp), but will look at other possibilities).

Deadline: I have absolutely no idea how long this will take, so let's say I expect the landing page to be set up on July, 23rd.
Ah, and I'm doing my internship in the meantime. So I absolutely don't know if all this is realistic. But I plan on doing it anyways.

I'll keep you guys updated.

D

Deleted48117

Quick update of the day.

I spent the whole day setting up the landing page and writing copy. It is now live.
First time doing this ; I had absolutely no idea how to do it, so I made my research.

I use Leadpages Pro (14-day free trial) and launched a Facebook Ads to drive traffic to it (35€ budget over 7 days).

Next steps:
- improve the Facebook Ads targetting as it runs ;
- also improve my landing page as well as split testing it.

Godspeed my friends.

D

Deleted48117

Like a Angie's List, HomeAdvisor type deal?
Exactly. "Get matched to [pros]" to use HomeAdvisor's slogan.
You'd be able to find a pro according to your area and the specific service you're looking for. Then clients would browse among pros' profiles and contact them.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
So will ratings and reviews be included in their profiles? Will they be checked to be legit licensed contractors or whatever the case might be? Or is it more a yellow book type service where you just have a list of the "pros" in your area?

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Exactly. "Get matched to [pros]" to use HomeAdvisor's slogan.
You'd be able to find a pro according to your area and the specific service you're looking for. Then clients would browse among pros' profiles and contact them.

In that case you should check out @Andy Black threads if you haven't done so already.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
I actually had this idea as well a couple months ago. I would agree that there is a need for it. However, when I looked into it a bit, seems like there are quite a few others already doing this.

This is not to say that it can't be done, but you will definitely need to be unique in someway to stand out. The barrier to entry is lower than you think on something like this.

Another problem you will have to deal with is the chicken/egg problem. To get users you will need pros, to get pros you will need a proven user base. How will you overcome these?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Get clients first, then get the pros? It's the clients who have your money.

Mind you, I quite like getting a pro to pay me to learn how to get clients using his ad spend...

You may want to check out my signature.

D

Deleted48117

First of all, I'd like to thank you for showing interest in this progress thread.

Now, onto the questions.

So will ratings and reviews be included in their profiles? Will they be checked to be legit licensed contractors or whatever the case might be? Or is it more a yellow book type service where you just have a list of the "pros" in your area?
Yes, ratings and reviews will be included in their profiles, as I want to offer the best experience for clients, as well as pros.

In that case you should check out @Andy Black threads if you haven't done so already.
I've done it indeed, but I will be going more in depth in the near future.
AdWords is the perfect channel to drive clients traffic to the platform ; Facebook Ads are more relevant for pros.
By the way, I quickly need to learn more about the latter, as well as optimizing the landing page. And the copy.
I only got 5 clicks from the ads and 0 conversions. Not surprising as it's only been a few hours, but I know I can improve.
"Act, assess, adjust".
Also, I have to create a lead magnet to encourage pros to sign up. I thought of "X tips to develop your online presence". More on that soon.

I actually had this idea as well a couple months ago. I would agree that there is a need for it. However, when I looked into it a bit, seems like there are quite a few others already doing this.

This is not to say that it can't be done, but you will definitely need to be unique in someway to stand out. The barrier to entry is lower than you think on something like this.

Another problem you will have to deal with is the chicken/egg problem. To get users you will need pros, to get pros you will need a proven user base. How will you overcome these?
IMO, competition is good. IMHO, competition is better when it's sh*tty (I'm thinking of poor user experience and/or not niched down only to this specific market). There's a large gap that needs to be filled.
The first step is to get pros, by getting them to sign up to the landing page.
You may be right concerning the barrier of entry, however it's one thing to pass by the barrier, it's another to keep walking.

Where are you now with your idea?

Get clients first, then get the pros? It's the clients who have your money.

Mind you, I quite like getting a pro to pay me to learn how to get clients using his ad spend...

You may want to check out my signature.
Totally agree with your last sentence. It's been my plan from the beginning: pros pay to have a personnalized profile on the platform ; with the €, I drive clients traffic from AdWords to the platform (as I wrote above).

Reinvesting everything back in the business.

I've read some threads of yours, superb content. Just so you know, I plan on buying PPC Jumpstart when I'll have to deal with clients.

Thanks guys.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
First of all, I'd like to thank you for showing interest in this progress thread.

Now, onto the questions.

Yes, ratings and reviews will be included in their profiles, as I want to offer the best experience for clients, as well as pros.

I've done it indeed, but I will be going more in depth in the near future.
AdWords is the perfect channel to drive clients traffic to the platform ; Facebook Ads are more relevant for pros.
By the way, I quickly need to learn more about the latter, as well as optimizing the landing page. And the copy.
I only got 5 clicks from the ads and 0 conversions. Not surprising as it's only been a few hours, but I know I can improve.
"Act, assess, adjust".
Also, I have to create a lead magnet to encourage pros to sign up. I thought of "X tips to develop your online presence". More on that soon.

IMO, competition is good. IMHO, competition is better when it's sh*tty (I'm thinking of poor user experience and/or not niched down only to this specific market). There's a large gap that needs to be filled.
The first step is to get pros, by getting them to sign up to the landing page.
You may be right concerning the barrier of entry, however it's one thing to pass by the barrier, it's another to keep walking.

Totally agree with your last sentence. It's been my plan from the beginning: pros pay to have a personnalized profile on the platform ; with the €, I drive clients traffic from AdWords to the platform (as I wrote above).

Reinvesting everything back in the business.

I've read some threads of yours, superb content. Just so you know, I plan on buying PPC Jumpstart when I'll have to deal with clients.

Thanks guys.
I presume you've checked search volumes on Google of consumers looking for pros? If not there's a free module in my course showing how to do this and, if I recall, I also breakdown how poor competitor ads are in my example.

Another client acquisition strategy for you to consider is generating consumer leads first and using them to contact pros. I haven't focused on this yet (too many inbound leads at the moment), but makes sense and I had some good experiences trying it.

Thanks for reading and consider my course. If you have any queries about it then just ask away in the course thread.

Good luck!

D

Deleted48117

Update of the day.

Fell asleep at 4 in the morning, to get up at 8. I'm not feeling tired, however :
- I won't be drinking coffee too late anymore ;
- I need to stop thinking about business when it ain't business time ;
- I have to stop smoking cigarettes. Like, for real.

Now.

I read Neil Patel's guide to Facebook Ads, it has helped me see things more clearly.
Stopped the ads for now, as I'm going to read some other resources (2 hours max) and then act (update the ads, launch again).

Today I discovered Canva, and I find it freakin' useful. Outsourcing with a tool what I suck at (doesn't mean I'm not eager to learn and/or practice, but for now I have to get things moving).

Also, I think I'm going to switch plans : first, offer a lead magnet to pros ; then, presenting the offer.
Maybe they're too cold to sign up, and according to me, my copy doesn't help. Really appreciate this advice from @Imgal on this thread :

[...] jumping into the entrepreneur groups on Facebook. [...] [to] get a real feeling for the language they're using which can really help with copy.

Definitely doing this.

I presume you've checked search volumes on Google of consumers looking for pros? If not there's a free module in my course showing how to do this and, if I recall, I also breakdown how poor competitor ads are in my example.

Another client acquisition strategy for you to consider is generating consumer leads first and using them to contact pros. I haven't focused on this yet (too many inbound leads at the moment), but makes sense and I had some good experiences trying it.

Thanks for reading and consider my course. If you have any queries about it then just ask away in the course thread.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply Andy.

Yes, I've checked Google's keyword planification tool ; this was part of identifying the need. But I'll definitely look into the module.

As for generating consumer leads first, I haven't thought of a way to engage them yet. I'm pretty sure it would be interesting to do that and then telling pros "hey guys, there are 500 people waiting for you to join the platform, what have you been up to ?!" aha.

This goes up on my priority list.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
IMHO, competition is better when it's sh*tty (I'm thinking of poor user experience and/or not niched down only to this specific market). There's a large gap that needs to be filled.
If you haven't read Unscripted yet, do it. In particular Chapter 35 MJ gives some great examples of value skewing.

I didn't proceed with the idea. When I had the idea I had not read TMF or Unscripted and my mindset was not right, as soon as I saw competition I made the excuse that it has already been done instead of trying to exploit all the weaknesses of the competition and skew the value in my favor.

Something I thought of while pondering this idea is the possibility of skewing the value such that your business only deals with the best of the best pros. Have you heard of TopTal? I'm sure you have if you've listened to any Mixergy. They select the top 3% best developers by running them through a series of tests. Obviously this is easier on the internet and might prose some significant challenges in order to "test your pros" in each city. However I think this would be a significant value skew and would prompt me to use your service rather than a competitors if I was getting the best of the best to come renovate my house (for example).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As for generating consumer leads first, I haven't thought of a way to engage them yet. I'm pretty sure it would be interesting to do that and then telling pros "hey guys, there are 500 people waiting for you to join the platform, what have you been up to ?!" aha.

This goes up on my priority list.
At a guess, pros don't want to "join a platform", and you're not "building a platform" either?

Obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat, but these might give you some tips:

D

Deleted48117

Hey fellas.

@Andy Black, you are right.
Pros do not need to join a platform, nor do they want to. I am not building a platform either.

Here is what I am doing.

I am helping pros getting what they need and want, i.e. more clients for their business.

So here is how this week went:
- setted up a brand new landing page, using Instapage;
- got my hands dirty with AdWords and drove people to the page;
- received a dozen requests from people looking for pros;
- cold called pros to GIVE them the clients' contact information.

Here is how things are going:
- eventually doing due diligence (thanks Billy at ForeverJobless) on competition;
- skewing values more (thanks for the reminder @inputchip).

I am making moves. Having fun.

Last cigarette? 6 days ago.
I am a non smoker.

See you soon, fellas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content