The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Amazing Unknown Secret to Finally Unlocking Your Million Dollar Idea

Idea threads

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I write this because this was something I was ‘stuck’ with. For too long…

This was something I wish I would’ve read a year or so ago. Luckily, I got snapped out of it by a good friend. This post is here for you, to do the same.

So I have big dreams… as I’m sure many of you do too.

I had plans, lots of them, I knew what I wanted. I knew what colour my Ferrari was going to be. I had read all the books, I had my goals, I had my vision.

But I just couldn’t get started…

Why?

I had it all planned out.

My idea had to be unique, protectable, satisfy CENTS, and I had to be able to see the pathway to my revenue goals.

So there I was each day, sitting there on my laptop, waiting, looking busy, feeling busy, but not really doing a whole lot of anything. Telling myself that I was ‘saving’ myself for that one idea I knew that I could get behind 100%.

So I know you are familiar with the 2 words ‘Take Action’ yeah, we love it around here... It is the cure-all for any situation. It is prescribed so often that the words unfortunately lose some of their punch.

But, there really is so much magic in these 2 words

And here’s why…

(This could get messy)

I was sitting at point A (waiting for my big idea) thinking about point Z (My billions, private island, red Ferrari etc etc).

But the only options I can see at point A, was B and C.

“Il wait” - I thought, the options I have at the moment won’t get me to where I want to be. I will have that flash of insight, that idea that I’ve been waiting for…

“I can’t take option B, because there’s no barrier to Entry, and I’m not really sure if there's a Need and it’s gonna be hard to Scale”

“And well, option C is out of the question. The business model has no Control, and if it did take off someone would probably steal my idea… no point moving forward with that...

And so at this point here. Instead of B and C, you do... nothing…

You’re still sat at A.

Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Waiting for that insight to get you straight to Z. Waiting for that event…

Now, here’s the magic.

What if you took action on option C?

Despite all the ‘problems’ with the idea, the limit as to how far you think you can take it, and your feeling that this business isn’t ‘the one’ - you move forward.

And when you move forward, something magic happens.

When you advance with option C, something strange happens, you begin to see new stuff, new problems, new ideas, new frustrations, new markets. Stuff you would have never seen had you sat at point A behind your laptop, waiting, ‘saving yourself’ for the big idea, the juicy, venture capital backed, superstar idea.

And look what’s happened…

Now you're at C, you see options D,E,F and G… Wow!

These new options could be problems within the industry you now see as a result of being deep in the trenches. Or, it could be an improvement on a product or service that you can now see customers crying out for. Or it could be something completely unrelated…

Point is, move the f forward. Wherever you are.

And guess what when you take action on option F it’s still not gonna be perfect, there is gonna problems, limits, barriers, competition. But it’s your job (yes you) as the entrepreneur to figure this shit out, make it work, and WIN.

And guess what… now you’re at F, we now see options H, I, J, K, L, M and even N!!!! A lot closer to Z, then you were when stuck at A.

MOVE FORWARD. TAKE ACTION.

Realise who you are, where you are, and what you currently are. Have some perspective on your situation.

You are making £0? Well your goal is to make £50.

And when you’re at £50 guess what now make £250.

You're making £250? You guessed it, go earn £500…

There is no salary cap in entrepreneurship...

RINSE & REPEAT.

Hollywood entrepreneurship would love you to believe that you are just sitting there one day, you are enjoying a breeze in the air, and that billion £ idea just smacks you in the face.

Of course, from that point on you are somehow fully equipped to execute flawlessly on this idea and hit your 9 figure goals.

“But what about….. He did it…”

Sure it can happen on your first shot, but so can hitting a hole in 1 on a par 4.

I’m not saying don’t dream big. Dream huge. But be aware of where you are now. Realise that everything you dream of isn’t going to land on your lap… You have to get filthy dirty in the trenches and just move forward (take action) everyday.

Stop waiting. Start doing.

You don’t need to see all the steps, you just have to take the one you can see now, right there in front of you… You can wait all you want... That elevator to the top you called, isn’t coming.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
Brilliant, Rep+. Just be sure options B and C aren't action faking. As Kevin O'Leary said, "there's nothing wrong with being a cockroach". Small ideas can still make millions when executed properly.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Back when I used to follow Gary Vee he used to talk about the clouds and the dirt, which I thought was a cool way of putting it.

You need that vision (clouds), the colour of your Ferrari, your private islands, you need that. Without it you have no focus, nothing to aspire to.

But you also need to work damn hard in the dirt (actually taking action and know what you do, and doing it well)

Both are required to achieve each other. Without the clouds you won't work in the dirt, with the dirt you will never reach the clouds.

Anything in the middle is meh.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Businesses that end up satisifying all of CENTS, don't always start out that way in the beginning.

You have to see if that business can long-term meet those critera, even if in the short term it violates some.

And then yes, take action, and the pathway through the forest becomes more clear.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Yep this is me.

Thanks, really needed to hear this

Glad to help!

Brilliant, Rep+. Just be sure options B and C aren't action faking. As Kevin O'Leary said, "there's nothing wrong with being a cockroach". Small ideas can still make millions when executed properly.

I think the idea of the big idea is overplayed. This especially becomes evident during shark tank when people turn seemingly awful ideas until 1m+ revenue companies in months.

Great post, real world perspective on getting it done. thanks for the insight.

Glad to have helped.

Cedric U

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 21, 2017
Switzerland
I write this because this was something I was ‘stuck’ with. For too long…

This was something I wish I would’ve read a year or so ago. Luckily, I got snapped out of it by a good friend. This post is here for you, to do the same.

So I have big dreams… as I’m sure many of you do too.

I had plans, lots of them, I knew what I wanted. I knew what colour my Ferrari was going to be. I had read all the books, I had my goals, I had my vision.

But I just couldn’t get started…

Why?

I had it all planned out.

My idea had to be unique, protectable, satisfy CENTS, and I had to be able to see the pathway to my revenue goals.

So there I was each day, sitting there on my laptop, waiting, looking busy, feeling busy, but not really doing a whole lot of anything. Telling myself that I was ‘saving’ myself for that one idea I knew that I could get behind 100%.

So I know you are familiar with the 2 words ‘Take Action’ yeah, we love it around here... It is the cure-all for any situation. It is prescribed so often that the words unfortunately lose some of their punch.

But, there really is so much magic in these 2 words

And here’s why…

(This could get messy)

I was sitting at point A (waiting for my big idea) thinking about point Z (My billions, private island, red Ferrari etc etc).

But the only options I can see at point A, was B and C.

“Il wait” - I thought, the options I have at the moment won’t get me to where I want to be. I will have that flash of insight, that idea that I’ve been waiting for…

“I can’t take option B, because there’s no barrier to Entry, and I’m not really sure if there's a Need and it’s gonna be hard to Scale”

“And well, option C is out of the question. The business model has no Control, and if it did take off someone would probably steal my idea… no point moving forward with that...

And so at this point here. Instead of B and C, you do... nothing…

You’re still sat at A.

Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Waiting for that insight to get you straight to Z. Waiting for that event…

Now, here’s the magic.

What if you took action on option C?

Despite all the ‘problems’ with the idea, the limit as to how far you think you can take it, and your feeling that this business isn’t ‘the one’ - you move forward.

And when you move forward, something magic happens.

When you advance with option C, something strange happens, you begin to see new stuff, new problems, new ideas, new frustrations, new markets. Stuff you would have never seen had you sat at point A behind your laptop, waiting, ‘saving yourself’ for the big idea, the juicy, venture capital backed, superstar idea.

And look what’s happened…

Now you're at C, you see options D,E,F and G… Wow!

These new options could be problems within the industry you now see as a result of being deep in the trenches. Or, it could be an improvement on a product or service that you can now see customers crying out for. Or it could be something completely unrelated…

Point is, move the f forward. Wherever you are.

And guess what when you take action on option F it’s still not gonna be perfect, there is gonna problems, limits, barriers, competition. But it’s your job (yes you) as the entrepreneur to figure this shit out, make it work, and WIN.

And guess what… now you’re at F, we now see options H, I, J, K, L, M and even N!!!! A lot closer to Z, then you were when stuck at A.

MOVE FORWARD. TAKE ACTION.

Realise who you are, where you are, and what you currently are. Have some perspective on your situation.

You are making £0? Well your goal is to make £50.

And when you’re at £50 guess what now make £250.

You're making £250? You guessed it, go earn £500…

There is no salary cap in entrepreneurship...

RINSE & REPEAT.

Hollywood entrepreneurship would love you to believe that you are just sitting there one day, you are enjoying a breeze in the air, and that billion £ idea just smacks you in the face.

Of course, from that point on you are somehow fully equipped to execute flawlessly on this idea and hit your 9 figure goals.

“But what about….. He did it…”

Sure it can happen on your first shot, but so can hitting a hole in 1 on a par 4.

I’m not saying don’t dream big. Dream huge. But be aware of where you are now. Realise that everything you dream of isn’t going to land on your lap… You have to get filthy dirty in the trenches and just move forward (take action) everyday.

Stop waiting. Start doing.

You don’t need to see all the steps, you just have to take the one you can see now, right there in front of you… You can wait all you want... That elevator to the top you called, isn’t coming.

I really needed this. This has just made me really angry at myself for just wishing and hoping. I need to take action, not tomorrow or next week but right now! Thanks again for that extra boost!

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, been kinda stuck in the rut for a while now. Lost passion (major headwinds where I am), but there is no reason why I can't keep taking small actions (and honestly I do, but I could way more).

Thanks for writing the post. Some chump rep. sent your way. :)

ColbyG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 19, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
I read that title, and thought, 'here we go', haha. But very well said. The hardest thing in the world is knowing what you don't know. But by doing stuff, whatever that stuff may be, you can get closer.

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
Really GREAT WORKS PURE A !!!
It is THE BASIC an entrepreneur need to LEARN and READ.

I needed to find a BOOSTER like this right now, you did it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You've basically described KE, or Kinetic Execution. Act, Assess, and Adjust.

Entrepreneurship is entering the forest without knowing exactly what's in there, or how to get through it.

TLDR: 3As and quit being the "tell me exact steps" guy.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Great post @PureA

Myself and most millennials get dazzled seeing these 19-year old, pimply kids gracing the cover of Forbes and think 'How lucky'

Then, when you actually dig into the story, you realize for 3-5 years, they worked in the industry as an intern or for dad's company. Thus, they got to experience the industry and learn the ins-and-outs.

I just finished reading the June Forbes edition
CarolynRafaelian.jpg

Carolyn grew up working in her father's jewelry business before leaving, going to college, getting married and having kids. After that, she went back to work for her dad for 10 years in the jewelry biz before launching Alex and Ani (now a billion dollar company).

Your big ideas, as you said @PureA , don't come from sitting around and thinking. You have to get your hands dirty, talk to people, go to conferences, email, phonecalls all with people in various industries digging for ideas.

Your BIG IDEA for a business will come from research and time. Not some God-given inspiration. Normally, those God-given inspiration ideas are pretty crappy.

My wife and I were walking back from the store and a car drove by smelling of gasoline. I turned to my wife: "Hey, what about perfumes for cars...girls would love that!"

Moment of inspiration. Terrible idea.

For years I read blog posts about "How to have a business idea." You don't come up with one...you dig for it by doing something!!!

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Even though this was mentioned in MJs book and everywhere else, you really put a different persepective on it by using the alphabet to describe the process. GJ!

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
You describe waiting for all the lights to become green before hitting the gas, but it's true that that is just not how it works. You approach every intersection and make another decision. Assess and adjust. Act again, etc. I keep hitting better intersections because I keep making better progress. They all started with my own point A. Then I had a couple of different point Bs, then a few Cs... later I had to circle back for a different point C.
When I was a kid, the youth pastor had a bumper sticker that said "God Allows U-Turns"... I think we need to give ourselves a break too and keep looking for that next great action step.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.