The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many action fakes can the fastlane come up with??

Tha-Don

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 10, 2013
"I have to find the best idea ever and then I will start!"
"I'll first get a job to gain experience and after 1 year I'll be able to start a business" - ends up a consumers with a big loan.

azntitan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 17, 2017
NYC
I action faked a shit ton everytime I talked to a friend about one of my ideas. I'd go over the entire idea with them because i wanted validation and in some way for them to work on me cuz i was scared of doing it alone. Wasn't confident I had the ability to execute especially in areas I'm weak at.

Talking to your friends about your ideas just because you are scared of executing = action fake, procrastination, whatever you want to call it. Most of your friends don't give a shit about your idea and 99% of people aren't gonna help you with it.

Doing is the hard part but it's what you have to do. Talking about it to everyone who will listen is NOT doing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"After I wake up at 4 PM, I'm going to optimize my website. Then I'm going to write down my list on what I'll do tomorrow. After that, I'm going to watch TV." ;):rofl:

Don't forget to grade your effort a B+

*Looks up idea competitors*

" There's too much competition; no point in trying to sell my product now."
Or
"This market is over saturated, my product will never sell."

(I've been guilty of both of these.) o_O

Ahh the Crowded Room Myth...

"The market is too crowded and competitive here to make any money.."

then you have the Empty Room Myth...

"No one is selling this, there must be no money to be made."

Both justify no action.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A frequent pattern I see around here is people who write a whole wall of text and basically the TLDR is this: I want the awesome life, but I also want to remain comfortable. Tell me how...

Start a daily progress thread and fill it with garbage bullet points such as "cleaned my desk today".

Ha Ha, don't forget "Went to Costco" and "Made Chile."

Koen_88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 6, 2017
Netherlands
On my 20th birthday I will get after it...
On my 25th birthday I will get after it...
On my 30th birthday I will get after it...
On my 35th birthday I will get after it...
On my 40th birthday I will get after it...

Starting a brand course - Done
Starting a business course - Done
Coding Course - Done
App Course - Done

Oh look! A course on how to make money selling courses! - In Progress...

Guilty as charched.. My 30th is around the corner and I have downlaoded, subscribed, bought more courses than I need or will ever finish...

But I read somewhere that awareness is a start of solving your problems, sooo let me just look up where I found that and read a few articles and a book about it and then I'll start.

good thread!

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Logging into my Wordpress site and moving a button 10 pixels up, changing the color of that text, replacing that banner image.

Login the next day and move the button 12 pixels down, change the color of the text to something lighter, remove the banner section and replace it with a slider carousel.

Repeat this for weeks. Yes, I'm guilty of this until I read about action-faking in Unscripted and now I've stopped this crap cos' it's not getting me anywhere.

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hey guys.

Here's everything I did today in pursuit of my business goals.

Woke up at 6AM. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
Made a pot of coffee.
Poured coffee into a cup.
Arranged paper, pens and pencils on my desk.
Realized that I didn't have any blue pens, only red and black.
Drove to Staples and bought ten boxes of blue pens.
Spent an hour in the computer aisle starring at sexy laptops and imagining myself as a character on "House of Lies." Made a mental decision about which computer I would buy once I was ready to pursue lucrative consulting gigs.
Drove back home. Picked up coffee on the way.
Re-arranged my desk to accommodate the blue pens.
Realized that I hadn't had anything to eat all day. A creative mind needs high quality fuel, so I ordered take-out from a vegan place that only uses organic ingredients.
Too hungry to be creative. Waited one hour for food to arrive.
Ate food.
Made a list of potential business ideas.
Looked at clock, realized that it was 9PM.
Hungry again, tired of being at home. Go out and hit a craft beer joint. Ate a burger and drank the Banana Wheat Lager, The Confusion IPA and The Back 9 Milk Stout.
Got home about 12:30. Put my pens, pencils and paper away. A place for everything, everything in it's place. A cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind.
Went to bed at 2AM.

Just another day in the life of a motivated entrepreneur. No sidewalk for me!

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
On my 20th birthday I will get after it...
On my 25th birthday I will get after it...
On my 30th birthday I will get after it...
On my 35th birthday I will get after it...
On my 40th birthday I will get after it...
On my 65th birthday I will ge-*dies*

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
"Not worried about money at this point."

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
"Not worried about money at this point."

There's definitely a time and place where money doesn't need to be worried about.

Let's say that you have an idea for a niche piece of software that will save a certain niche category of businesses a lot of time/money. The problem it would solve is too small for established software companies to take notice of it, but you're confident that you can bang out the solution in about 500 hours of coding. Since you've worked in the industry for ten years, you don't need to worry about logos, marketing or other games, since you're on a first name basis with about 50 people who will gladly pay $2000+ for a solution this problem, which is costing them $5000 in man-hours to deal with each month, and they've told you as much. And you can count on word of mouth reaching another 200 people. You have a means of ensuring that no one just shares your software around for free, so you don't need to worry about only selling a few copies of the software and having the rest ripped off.

This is a good time to not worry about money. You've got all the tools you need to see this through to the end.

However, this isn't usually the case. When I was younger, I had a number of really great ideas that really could have been something. Unfortunately, I never got anywhere because I needed help from others to act on the ideas (as I lacked all the necessary skills and knowledge to create the value I believe was necessary) and I had absolutely no money to pay them. Very few people are motivated by profit sharing schemes, so I got no where.

Thinking back, I should have been doing two things.

(1) Putting all my free time into earning as much money as I could (I already was earning my income freelance and could have easily increased my hours with a little effort) and

(2) Put in the work that I was personally able to with my skills and knowledge, so at least some of the value was created while I was earning money to pay others.

In actuality, I did neither of these things (until years and years later) and as a result, failed to meet my goals. Fortunately, I learned from my mistakes, and was eventually able to overcome the things that were holding me back.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There's definitely a time and place where money doesn't need to be worried about.

Let's say that you have an idea for a niche piece of software that will save a certain niche category of businesses a lot of time/money. The problem it would solve is too small for established software companies to take notice of it, but you're confident that you can bang out the solution in about 500 hours of coding. Since you've worked in the industry for ten years, you don't need to worry about logos, marketing or other games, since you're on a first name basis with about 50 people who will gladly pay $2000+ for a solution this problem, which is costing them $5000 in man-hours to deal with each month, and they've told you as much. And you can count on word of mouth reaching another 200 people. You have a means of ensuring that no one just shares your software around for free, so you don't need to worry about only selling a few copies of the software and having the rest ripped off.

This is a good time to not worry about money. You've got all the tools you need to see this through to the end.

However, this isn't usually the case. When I was younger, I had a number of really great ideas that really could have been something. Unfortunately, I never got anywhere because I needed help from others to act on the ideas (as I lacked all the necessary skills and knowledge to create the value I believe was necessary) and I had absolutely no money to pay them. Very few people are motivated by profit sharing schemes, so I got no where.

Thinking back, I should have been doing two things.

(1) Putting all my free time into earning as much money as I could (I already was earning my income freelance and could have easily increased my hours with a little effort) and

(2) Put in the work that I was personally able to with my skills and knowledge, so at least some of the value was created while I was earning money to pay others.

In actuality, I did neither of these things (until years and years later) and as a result, failed to meet my goals. Fortunately, I learned from my mistakes, and was eventually able to overcome the things that were holding me back.
Yea I agree - probably should have clarified. There are times where money isn't the goal at the moment, but your goal should always be to be profitable as soon as possible. Can't deliver value to anyone without being able to fund your business.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Ilias87

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
One year ago, I wanted to try blogging. I am not a native English speaker but my girlfriend was speaking English fluently. I said to her "blogging sounds a great idea but I will make many mistakes if you could check my articles I would start today..."

She said " sure, write one today and I will check it tomorrow".

I was never expecting that answer because she was really busy these days. After that I was thinking "shit, I have to write something".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.