The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm going to take slowlane path

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
And here is your OUT, clear as day, and endorsed by your father who's response was spot on.

If you want to be an entrepreneur bad enough, you'll create something worthy of dropping out, and get your dad's endorsement in the process.

But even if you don't do it in college but retain the vision, there's no rule book you can't do so after college.

Good luck.
Got it. Thank you for the post. Don't you would like to be my father ? Hahahahahaha

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
My current situation doesn't help
Ahh...the good ole "my current situation" routine.

I'm fat and overweight and my parents tell me I should eat hamburgers and potato chips for dinner every night.

I'm fat and overweight so that means I can't start eating salads and exercising now.

Nope, definitely not.

Maybe when I start eating more hamburgers and potato chips, I will start eating salad.

But nope, not now. Because my current situation means I can't eat salad now...

I'll let you put the pieces together...

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
Ahh...the good ole "my current situation" routine.

I'm fat and overweight and my parents tell me I should eat hamburgers and potato chips for dinner every night.

I'm fat and overweight so that means I can't start eating salads and exercising now.

Nope, definitely not.

Maybe when I start eating more hamburgers and potato chips, I will start eating salad.

But nope, not now. Because my current situation means I can't eat salad now...

I'll let you put the pieces together...
Got it. Thanks for the post. It'll help me

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
They are going to pay. My idea is to find a job (which, in the moment, is difficult because my country is in crisis), save and then build something to make money.

I didnt realize you were in Brazil man. I'd honestly get you and your family into North America, either Canada or the US if you can.

Can you start a business in Brazil or does corruption/etc affect it?

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I grew up with a strict upbringing from foreign parents, who also encouraged (forced) me to go college.

Here's some advice...

YOU need to decide what you want to do. And then do it! It may change on the way but you have to be the one that dictates it.

I spent two years blindly doing an engineering degree because itll make my dad happy that I finish college. It made me miserable.

When I dropped out at the time I couldn't even tell him. So I continued to act like I was studying whilst getting by with internet marketing and playing poker.

If I can show him that I was successful at this, it'll make it easier, I thought.

It didn't.

It took to the point of being diagnosed with cancer and going through chemotherapy to finally talk to him about it in the way I truly felt.

My scenario is pretty extreme but at some point you will need to take control of your life and live it on your terms or life might make you live on it's terms.

All other advice has been given to you by members in the thread. I wish you the best with your decision.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
I didnt realize you were in Brazil man. I'd honestly get you and your family into North America, either Canada or the US if you can.

Can you start a business in Brazil or does corruption/etc affect it?
It's my dream to live into North America, Europe or Australia but it's no possible to me in the moment.
Yes, I can start a bussines if I have some cash. The crisis affect it, but it doesn't turn impossible, in the year of 2015 (when the crisis exploded) it would be almost impossivel, but now the country is not falling also is not growing. My father is a photographer, in 2014 he made a lot of money (we travel to the USA and spend one moth traveling in our country), since 2015 our lives is very different.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
I grew up with a strict upbringing from foreign parents, who also encouraged (forced) me to go college.

Here's some advice...

YOU need to decide what you want to do. And then do it! It may change on the way but you have to be the one that dictates it.

I spent two years blindly doing an engineering degree because itll make my dad happy that I finish college. It made me miserable.

When I dropped out at the time I couldn't even tell him. So I continued to act like I was studying whilst getting by with internet marketing and playing poker.

If I can show him that I was successful at this, it'll make it easier, I thought.

It didn't.

It took to the point of being diagnosed with cancer and going through chemotherapy to finally talk to him about it in the way I truly felt.

My scenario is pretty extreme but at some point you will need to take control of your life and live it on your terms or life might make you live on it's terms.

All other advice has been given to you by members in the thread. I wish you the best with your decision.
Thank you for the post, dude. Desire you the best. Law is not a bad thing to me.

furiousJ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 12, 2017
montreal
Your Parents seem intelligent enough to discuss this with maybe they think this is the best first step to your journey. College isn't necessarily slowlane in fact being in Law school can be a very good thing . At best you find a need while your there,you fill the need and leave with an education in entrepreneurship. At worst you are still engaging the world and you can focus on learning business law, you could essentially create your own practice or even a website offering your service to small business. I personally don't see a downside (except cost) as long as your purpose is to learn what you need to know to get to your goals.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
Your Parents seem intelligent enough to discuss this with maybe they think this is the best first step to your journey. College isn't necessarily slowlane in fact being in Law school can be a very good thing . At best you find a need while your there,you fill the need and leave with an education in entrepreneurship. At worst you are still engaging the world and you can focus on learning business law, you could essentially create your own practice or even a website offering your service to small business. I personally don't see a downside (except cost) as long as your purpose is to learn what you need to know to get to your goals.
Thanks for the post, man. Appreciate. I like law

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
I graduated from college almost 10 years ago and am just getting started in entrepreneurship now. You have plenty of time.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Hey there, fastlaners.

I am going to take slowlane path...for a while at least, it is not something I want to do, but there's no choice. My current situation doesn't help, I do not want to go to college but I will have to.
Let me tell you guys about my life: I have read the TMF , understand about it and want to live this way. Although I didn't find any need/desire/problem to solve and cash in, have no job and money. My parents want me to go to college, because that's their belief to sucess, therefore I will have to take this path, am going to take law school. I hope I will become a entrepreneur while it.

I say if your parents have successfully achieved everything you're dreaming of, go ahead and follow their lead without hesitation.

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Not everyone is fit to be on the fastlane
What is most important is what you want to learn, do not learn because your parents want you to learn.

A thousand times this. It happened to me. I was kindly 'forced' to go to Law-school. "Because you can do anything with it, you'll get a great career... etc.". After one year I dropped out and changed to Psychology. The choice I had made for myself before enrolling into Law-school. Whereas in Law-school I lacked motivation, during Psych I found to have an endless stream of energy... because it felt like my own choice/path I was going on.

Granted, it was/is still a slowlane example.. But coming to my current point in life, I can honestly say that my Psych-background now helps me WAY more than my Law-background ever could. Soft-skills can't be Googled like rules & laws...

Slowlane or not, this apply to all situations: try (if possible) to follow your own path... And also bear the consequences for when it gets rough, you made that choice. In the end it'll be worth it.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hey there, fastlaners.

I am going to take slowlane path...for a while at least, it is not something I want to do, but there's no choice. My current situation doesn't help, I do not want to go to college but I will have to.
Let me tell you guys about my life: I have read the TMF , understand about it and want to live this way. Although I didn't find any need/desire/problem to solve and cash in, have no job and money. My parents want me to go to college, because that's their belief to sucess, therefore I will have to take this path, am going to take law school. I hope I will become a entrepreneur while it.

Go to college, learn how to learn, it is easy for people on here to say don't do this or that, however it is your life. Go and maybe you will meet someone or learn something that will change your life. Or maybe you will become a lawyer and travel and earn the money it takes to start your own business.

Go, just don't settle for the slowlane for the rest of your life.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
Thank you all, especially to those who wrote harsh answers. It will help me very much, you don't know how much. I have untill the next year to decide my path.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Isn't the concept of slowlane saving until your 65 so you can retire? You don't even have a job where you can save.. Your not even in the slowlane yet until you get out of college and get a job that allows you to save. But wait.. if you get a job where you can't even save because all your income goes to supporting yourself - your basically a sidewalker. But with more debt.

RSN

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 5, 2014
There's a lot of business ideas that you can apply in the Brazilian market that are currently not well developed in the country. A lot of things happen in North America first, then Europe and some parts of Asia before it spreads to the rest of the world. For some you don't even need to have a lot of capital to start.

The fact that you can communicate well in English already put you in great advantage to see what already works in other areas that are not yet present in Brazil. It also gives the opportunity to learn from the greatest marketers and entrepreneurs on earth in real time as opposed to the having to wait for the slow process of translation. By the time many ideas and processes get translated it already lost a great deal of its effectiveness.

Two exemples of things you could do that have been proven to be effective in the US in the past few years and haven't been well explored in the Brazilian market are.

Subscription boxes
Podcasts

Hell, you could even do both, thigh them up around the same brand /lifestyle and push it like a used car salesman lol.

There are plenty more but I'm only listing things that don't take a lot of cash to start and the model has been proven at least in North America.

I know there are some, but nobody is doing it as good as the guys here up north.

If you learn how to market well and use the Internet / social media like the brands do in the US you have an open road ahead of you.

Anyways, just a few thoughts.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
Are they paying for you to go?

If not why don't you move out and get a job?

When you get your job start saving your money.

When you have enough money you can start your business...

Why is this hard to understand for people?

Unfortunately people either don't know of other opportunities or they prefer their idea of security through popular conventional thinking...

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
There's a lot of business ideas that you can apply in the Brazilian market that are currently not well developed in the country. A lot of things happen in North America first, then Europe and some parts of Asia before it spreads to the rest of the world. For some you don't even need to have a lot of capital to start.

The fact that you can communicate well in English already put you in great advantage to see what already works in other areas that are not yet present in Brazil. It also gives the opportunity to learn from the greatest marketers and entrepreneurs on earth in real time as opposed to the having to wait for the slow process of translation. By the time many ideas and processes get translated it already lost a great deal of its effectiveness.

Two exemples of things you could do that have been proven to be effective in the US in the past few years and haven't been well explored in the Brazilian market are.

Subscription boxes
Podcasts

Hell, you could even do both, thigh them up around the same brand /lifestyle and push it like a used car salesman lol.

There are plenty more but I'm only listing things that don't take a lot of cash to start and the model has been proven at least in North America.

I know there are some, but nobody is doing it as good as the guys here up north.

If you learn how to market well and use the Internet / social media like the brands do in the US you have an open road ahead of you.

Anyways, just a few thoughts.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Thanks man, I will study what you said

100speed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 2, 2017
London
Thanks man, I will study what you said
Hey Pedro,
I read that you said you cant move to the USA because your currency is weak, why don't you start an online business targeting US consumers and earn US dollars that way? You'll have a lot more purchasing power in Brazil giving you a more comfortable life if you don't decide to move and your dream life in USA if you do. This also solves the problem of Brazil being in crises, as you sell to the USA, (which will hopefully continue to grow at its strong rate) and the fact that your president(s) are being impeached ! I don't know much about how big manufacturing is in Brazil, I assume its a smaller part of the economy than Oil and agriculture, but if you can find a manufacturer of some unique product, develop a brand and website around it (social media, completely free) then start running paid ads on FB or the like - you could start a booming business.
Ever heard of The Elephant Pants? They did exactly that (they were/are my competition) and made $7 million in profit over 3 years for some thin, low quality harem pants that I could sell for half the price and still make 100% margin. When looking for a product look for growing niches, yoga is pretty big, vegan - related maybe?
The world really is your oyster, the fact that you (I assume) also have affordable manufacturers within reach of where you live is also an advantage (mine live a few thousand miles away in Guangzhou!). I would say a law degree is pretty useful and well regarded if you every plan on doing something other than entrepreneurship afterwards but I guess it would only be useful for an entrepreneur if you do decide to set up a business in Brazil.
Anyway, things could be a lot worse, you could live in Venezuela ;)!

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Hey there, fastlaners.

I like you left out all of the pertinent details that are allegedly "forcing" your decision in this situation, thus making it impossible for anyone to actually call you out on your bullshit.

But, you wanted this little game of yours to be called out for the bullshit that it is, right? That's why you shared this, right?

Wait a minute.

Hold on...

My parents want me to go to college, because that's their belief to sucess, therefore I will have to take this path, am going to take law school. I hope I will become a entrepreneur while it.

This is actually fallacious logic. Just because your parents "want" you to go to college does not mean that you have no choice but to be their bitch.

You have a choice to not be a bitch, bro.

My parents wanted me to go to college and get a math degree before my 18th birthday. Otherwise, they threatened, I would lose their financial support.

I called their bluff, and they kicked me out of the house.

I have an evolutionary advantage that allows me to grow when I am put in the dirt. I did not discover this until I was forced to learn and build inside of myself the power and will to survive, thrive and eventually climb to the top.

So, I repeat, in less edited form: F*ck your parents, and their wack, outdated, matrix-robot way of looking at the world. The next time your parents try to tell you to go to college, take a copy of The Millionaire Fastlane , and slap them in the face with it. Then, politely ask them to find out if any of your would-be college professors have more money than MJ. Then point out the fact that MJ is far more successful than just about any attorney (aka, a slave that went to school forever, most likely to be in debt for a ridiculously long period of time). Haha, although, I'm sure MJ has hired many attorneys in his day.

Any, I digress.

And I repeat. You don't have to be a bitch, bro.

Seriously, bro. Don't be a bitch. Don't let someone else tell you have to live your life, because you only get one.

You have to do what you have to do, until you don't.

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 24, 2017
Spain
Hey Pedro,
First of all, how old are you? As you are about to start university I imagine around 17. You don't have to rush and become an entrepreneur tomorrow! You have your path very clear since very young and that is great, the best way in my opinion would be to start taking small steps into that direction. Also I must say from my experience with both Latin America and the USA that doing business in both places is very different and do not underestimate the connections you could make at university. Also, I know many cases for people who started ventures during college (with people they met there) and we're very successful. Also you can learn a lot and help you in yoir path. For example myself, I dived deep into entrepreneurship while pursuing my MBA, that I originally started pursuing the slow lane. The key is not only the destination, the journey is important too and it will take you for surprising paths.
I disagree that going to college is taking the slow lane, especially in your case, it can actually help you in your objective.
As for the choice of what to study, I would recommend you to choose whatever you feel ithat will better prepare you to become an entrepreneur. It could be business, engineering or even law. I disagree with the ones saying law is useless for an entrepreneur. I studied law and was a lawyer for 6 years and I can tell you it helped me a lot, especially if you are in finance or m&a, during my time as a lawyer I have taken a peek into hundres of companies, their contracts, their financing, everything! Also it teaches you critical thinking and looking intothings from different perspectives, and you also learn the rules of the game, which is very useful, especially in Brazil. I am not saying out should pursue law, but just don't discard anything lightly, choose having in mind your objective and make strategic decisions. Also, start your venture while studying, it is totally feasible, especially if your parents support you economically, you will have plenty of free time, use it wisely!
As for studying in the US, unless you manage scholarship, be very careful, as a foreigner things are difficult and, unless you have several indreds of thousands of dollars handy, getting an investor visa (the one you would need) is very hard, even getting a job visa is extremely hard. Not meant to scare you off, just to do your due diligence.
I hope you find this helpful :)

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
I like you left out all of the pertinent details that are allegedly "forcing" your decision in this situation, thus making it impossible for anyone to actually call you out on your bullshit.

But, you wanted this little game of yours to be called out for the bullshit that it is, right? That's why you shared this, right?

Wait a minute.

Hold on...

This is actually fallacious logic. Just because your parents "want" you to go to college does not mean that you have no choice but to be their bitch.

You have a choice to not be a bitch, bro.

My parents wanted me to go to college and get a math degree before my 18th birthday. Otherwise, they threatened, I would lose their financial support.

I called their bluff, and they kicked me out of the house.

I have an evolutionary advantage that allows me to grow when I am put in the dirt. I did not discover this until I was forced to learn and build inside of myself the power and will to survive, thrive and eventually climb to the top.

So, I repeat, in less edited form: F*ck your parents, and their wack, outdated, matrix-robot way of looking at the world. The next time your parents try to tell you to go to college, take a copy of The Millionaire Fastlane , and slap them in the face with it. Then, politely ask them to find out if any of your would-be college professors have more money than MJ. Then point out the fact that MJ is far more successful than just about any attorney (aka, a slave that went to school forever, most likely to be in debt for a ridiculously long period of time). Haha, although, I'm sure MJ has hired many attorneys in his day.

Any, I digress.

And I repeat. You don't have to be a bitch, bro.

Seriously, bro. Don't be a bitch. Don't let someone else tell you have to live your life, because you only get one.

You have to do what you have to do, until you don't.
Nice words, love your writing. Thanks for your time paying attention to me. What you have just wrote made me think a lot, thank you.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
Hey Pedro,
I read that you said you cant move to the USA because your currency is weak, why don't you start an online business targeting US consumers and earn US dollars that way? You'll have a lot more purchasing power in Brazil giving you a more comfortable life if you don't decide to move and your dream life in USA if you do. This also solves the problem of Brazil being in crises, as you sell to the USA, (which will hopefully continue to grow at its strong rate) and the fact that your president(s) are being impeached ! I don't know much about how big manufacturing is in Brazil, I assume its a smaller part of the economy than Oil and agriculture, but if you can find a manufacturer of some unique product, develop a brand and website around it (social media, completely free) then start running paid ads on FB or the like - you could start a booming business.
Ever heard of The Elephant Pants? They did exactly that (they were/are my competition) and made $7 million in profit over 3 years for some thin, low quality harem pants that I could sell for half the price and still make 100% margin. When looking for a product look for growing niches, yoga is pretty big, vegan - related maybe?
The world really is your oyster, the fact that you (I assume) also have affordable manufacturers within reach of where you live is also an advantage (mine live a few thousand miles away in Guangzhou!). I would say a law degree is pretty useful and well regarded if you every plan on doing something other than entrepreneurship afterwards but I guess it would only be useful for an entrepreneur if you do decide to set up a business in Brazil.
Anyway, things could be a lot worse, you could live in Venezuela ;)!
Thanks for your time writing this. It will help, thank you man.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
Hey Pedro,
First of all, how old are you? As you are about to start university I imagine around 17. You don't have to rush and become an entrepreneur tomorrow! You have your path very clear since very young and that is great, the best way in my opinion would be to start taking small steps into that direction. Also I must say from my experience with both Latin America and the USA that doing business in both places is very different and do not underestimate the connections you could make at university. Also, I know many cases for people who started ventures during college (with people they met there) and we're very successful. Also you can learn a lot and help you in yoir path. For example myself, I dived deep into entrepreneurship while pursuing my MBA, that I originally started pursuing the slow lane. The key is not only the destination, the journey is important too and it will take you for surprising paths.
I disagree that going to college is taking the slow lane, especially in your case, it can actually help you in your objective.
As for the choice of what to study, I would recommend you to choose whatever you feel ithat will better prepare you to become an entrepreneur. It could be business, engineering or even law. I disagree with the ones saying law is useless for an entrepreneur. I studied law and was a lawyer for 6 years and I can tell you it helped me a lot, especially if you are in finance or m&a, during my time as a lawyer I have taken a peek into hundres of companies, their contracts, their financing, everything! Also it teaches you critical thinking and looking intothings from different perspectives, and you also learn the rules of the game, which is very useful, especially in Brazil. I am not saying out should pursue law, but just don't discard anything lightly, choose having in mind your objective and make strategic decisions. Also, start your venture while studying, it is totally feasible, especially if your parents support you economically, you will have plenty of free time, use it wisely!
As for studying in the US, unless you manage scholarship, be very careful, as a foreigner things are difficult and, unless you have several indreds of thousands of dollars handy, getting an investor visa (the one you would need) is very hard, even getting a job visa is extremely hard. Not meant to scare you off, just to do your due diligence.
I hope you find this helpful :)
Nice words, thank you man.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.