The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How often do YOU take breaks or vacations?

Share your FTE moment...

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
I like to think that you can learn a lot from working out.
When you start to get stronger and stronger, the body needs proper rest/periodization/and deloads so you don't over train and burn out.

I have a theory that the mind works in a similar way. You can only push yourself for so long until you find it difficult to keep pushing. You'll accumulate mental fatigue over time (and even faster if it's more intense work).

Maybe I'm thinking too much, but I've been working on this project for 5 months, and right now I'm working on the ebook (about half way done now). I find that when I work on website/marketing and technical work, I can pound it for hours on end until it gets done, but as for creative works (such as this ebook) my brain feels dead and drained after a while. I can keep going but the quality of work decreases tremendously.

Anyways I'm just curious.

What is your consistency like? What is your work capacity like? How many hours can you work in a day on end? How do you know when to take a day off? Is it scheduled or is it on feel?

I think this kind of stuff will be pretty valuable for everyone. It's nice to have something that you can compare yourself to. A certain level of efficiency.

For example, as a powerlifter, you compare your numbers to others that are stronger than you and it #1) shows you what's possible and, #2) Get's you into a competitive mindset to improve.

So I'll start.
I typically log every day and the hours of work I do.
I have an average of 2-3 off days typically on the weekends, and I work 4-6 hours on good days when I do creative works, and if I do technical work, I can easily work 6-8+ hours a day.
Idealy I'd love to work 8+ hours 7 days a week so I can get things done MUCH quicker but I always tend to have 2-3 days where my work just feels pretty terrible and I take the day off (You think it's just in my head?)

I'm also curious if you work HARDER once you "make it" or if you just start to take it easy when you start seeing the revenue.

:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
I have an average of 2-3 off days typically on the weekends, and I work 4-6 hours on good days when I do creative works, and if I do technical work, I can easily work 6-8+ hours a day.

Do you have a job?

Or can you invest all your time into your project?

I learned this the hard way, but "You can't break tackles at marathon pace".

I am somebody who sprints as fast as he can until his batteries are completely empty and the body takes what he needs.

Turns out if I stop before this point and take a break in-between, I recover quicker and come back stronger.

I have my own, strict schedule, because this is how I function.

If you have down-time doing creative work, go for a walk, take a spin in your car (if you have one), go have a coffee with somebody...

It's crucial that you feed your brain something that nurtures your creativity.

I regularly work till late at night/early morning - yesterday, I sat on my desk from 7 am till 1 am, with a break for food and sports in-between.

I get a lot done, but keeping up that sort of schedule is draining and unhealthy.

At the end of the day, you want to restrict yourself so you have to get creative, because...

Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. (C. N. Parkinson)

I think I read somewhere that Tim Ferriss (not that I am a fan) used to bring his laptop without a charger to a coffee shop. This way, he finished all his tasks before the battery was gone...

Get creative, but never be lazy!

Sometimes you just have to show up, put in the work and grind it out.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I can only do work in 1-2 hour chunks. Then I need to do something else. I may just watch tv about 30 minutes and then I can get back to work.

I take a vacation about once every 2 months. It's usually 1-2 weeks and I do do some work during that time but it's just maintenance work, no growth.

Btw the end of the vacation I can't wait to get back home and do work. I get a lot of ideas while on vacation.

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
Do you have a job?

Or can you invest all your time into your project?

I learned this the hard way, but "You can't break tackles at marathon pace".

I am somebody who sprints as fast as he can until his batteries are completely empty and the body takes what he needs.

Turns out if I stop before this point and take a break in-between, I recover quicker and come back stronger.

I have my own, strict schedule, because this is how I function.

If you have down-time doing creative work, go for a walk, take a spin in your car (if you have one), go have a coffee with somebody...

It's crucial that you feed your brain something that nurtures your creativity.

I regularly work till late at night/early morning - yesterday, I sat on my desk from 7 am till 1 am, with a break for food and sports in-between.

I get a lot done, but keeping up that sort of schedule is draining and unhealthy.

At the end of the day, you want to restrict yourself so you have to get creative, because...

Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. (C. N. Parkinson)

I think I read somewhere that Tim Ferriss (not that I am a fan) used to bring his laptop without a charger to a coffee shop. This way, he finished all his tasks before the battery was gone...

Get creative, but never be lazy!

Sometimes you just have to show up, put in the work and grind it out.

That's a great post from @Andy Black , can't believe I missed that one. That's kind of the basis of why I made this thread.

I used to go all out until I was drained as well, but it just wasn't sustainable. I would then get almost nothing done after that and lose interest because of burn out. I would work on things for MONTHS on end without any breaks, only to have it all collapse after. After about 2 or 3 projects of working like that I knew that it just wasn't working. That's when I knew it was better to be consistent for as long as you can, rather than to do large amounts of work for 2-3 months only to give up on it after due to burn out.

I guess it's true that the brain does have limits. Like the body, it still requires recovery to nurture our efficiency back up to par.

But if that's true then it also means that we can increase our work capacity with practice.

Thanks for your input, this is the kind of stuff I was looking for.

And yes, I had a job. Until they let me go for being too smart. (lol). They did't like how I was working in another establishment along with theirs. They wanted me to work exclusively for them.. So they can bully me into working the hours they want (Hah!). That's when I went full-time into "I dont give a F*ck mode" and started getting my feet wet with massive amounts of work into marketing, web development, product development and such and such.

Thanks for your input again (my brain is FRIED right now, it's taking me forever to complete this).

I also completely agree with "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. (C. N. Parkinson)"
For example if you have a simple web page to make that should only take you a couple hours to complete, but give yourself 8 hours instead, you'll subconsciously take 8 hours to complete it.

BUT, what if you learned to maximize your time by overloading yourself with work?

Instead of the single simple web page, you tell yourself you have 4 webpages.
Then you'll work efficiently to complete the 4 web pages in 8 hours instead of focusing on just the single.

The trick is to find more work that you genuinely believe you need to complete lined up after the first task.
I'm not sure if that makes sense. I'm a bit mentally fatigued right now.

EDIT: Don't want to double post. Thanks @biophase, I was actually pretty curious how you worked on tasks as well. Consistency is the name of the game if you want to succeed in ANYTHING, and seeing the difference in how people work really gives you some insights on how you can become better at being efficient.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That's a great post from @Andy Black , can't believe I missed that one. That's kind of the basis of why I made this thread.

I used to go all out until I was drained as well, but it just wasn't sustainable. I would then get almost nothing done after that and lose interest because of burn out. I would work on things for MONTHS on end without any breaks, only to have it all collapse after. After about 2 or 3 projects of working like that I knew that it just wasn't working. That's when I knew it was better to be consistent for as long as you can, rather than to do large amounts of work for 2-3 months only to give up on it after due to burn out.

I guess it's true that the brain does have limits. Like the body, it still requires recovery to nurture our efficiency back up to par.

But if that's true then it also means that we can increase our work capacity with practice.

Thanks for your input, this is the kind of stuff I was looking for.

And yes, I had a job. Until they let me go for being too smart. (lol). They did't like how I was working in another establishment along with theirs. They wanted me to work exclusively for them.. So they can bully me into working the hours they want (Hah!). That's when I went full-time into "I dont give a F*ck mode" and started getting my feet wet with massive amounts of work into marketing, web development, product development and such and such.

Thanks for your input again (my brain is FRIED right now, it's taking me forever to complete this).

I also completely agree with "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. (C. N. Parkinson)"
For example if you have a simple web page to make that should only take you a couple hours to complete, but give yourself 8 hours instead, you'll subconsciously take 8 hours to complete it.

BUT, what if you learned to maximize your time by overloading yourself with work?

Instead of the single simple web page, you tell yourself you have 4 webpages.
Then you'll work efficiently to complete the 4 web pages in 8 hours instead of focusing on just the single.

The trick is to find more work that you genuinely believe you need to complete lined up after the first task.
I'm not sure if that makes sense. I'm a bit mentally fatigued right now.

EDIT: Don't want to double post. Thanks @biophase, I was actually pretty curious how you worked on tasks as well. Consistency is the name of the game if you want to succeed in ANYTHING, and seeing the difference in how people work really gives you some insights on how you can become better at being efficient.
What about just doing one page in two hours, and choosing the most important page to do? Might be worth reading "The ONE Thing" (there's a thread in here where I write my takeaway).

Me, I work 9-2 Mon-Thu and do the school runs. I then do a 9pm till midnight shift.

Friday is a day off with my wife. I'll check in on work via my phone.

I travel to the UK every two weeks for a couple of days to visit my parents.

With summer holidays coming up I'll likely be working 10-2 if we can get a relative to mind the kids.

My business would be a lot further on if I spent more time on it, but I'd spend more time on it so I could spend more time with my family, so I will continue to work this way as long as I can.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Long been an all in kind of person who ends burning herself all out. It's never really been the "I must be seen to be hustling 24/7", it's been more of a not being able to turn off at the end of the day when I had a coding issue that I knew had to fixed the next morning.

Last time I had a proper holiday? I honestly can't remember. The last 5 years have basically been a rollercoaster of business success, business failures and taking on slowlane client work while supporting family through ill health. The first part was sweet... not so much on the rest. Slowlane work stressed the hell out of me as I wanted to spend more time supporting family and when I was with family I was stressed about the work I had to do. Totally crappy (and self-inflicted) situation.

Hit with round three of more family issues in May, just as I quit my slowlane work. Last time it happened I went into panic mode and went full in grabbing any work I could. This time round I've been working on everything that went wrong before.

Issue 1: Working with demanding clients / project managers owning my time - My time is now my own. Clients are delivered products / services without me having to engage with them (unless I want to)

Issue 2: I used to work a 7am - 3pm UK work day and then start work with the US from 10am - 3pm their time (on top of having to fit in family issues in breaks (so no breaks!!) - Now I schedule a normal 9-5 with Pomodoros through the day to give me breaks. Sure I often work longer than the actual 9-5, but it's out of passion, not stress and panic.

Issue 3: Hadn't had a holiday in 5 years - Got to admit I haven't figured this one out as with family in and out of hospital I don't want to be too far away... I am spending at least a couple of days a week working from a local hotel though.. does that count ;)

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
What about just doing one page in two hours, and choosing the most important page to do? Might be worth reading "The ONE Thing" (there's a thread in here where I write my takeaway).

Me, I work 9-2 Mon-Thu and do the school runs. I then do a 9pm till midnight shift.

Friday is a day off with my wife. I'll check in on work via my phone.

I travel to the UK every two weeks for a couple of days to visit my parents.

With summer holidays coming up I'll likely be working 10-2 if we can get a relative to mind the kids.

My business would be a lot further on if I spent more time on it, but I'd spend more time on it so I could spend more time with my family, so I will continue to work this way as long as I can.

Yeah, I agree with you. I typically do the toughest work first so i can get it out of the way. It makes sense to me. It's like spending the most energy with the most important exercises at the gym before you move onto secondary/accessory lifts.

I just have a habit of adding in more work after the next and grinding myself out really hard. Not a bad habit to have, but because of it, I also have problems with finding times to rest and recover. I always feel like I have keep doing something, and keep doing MORE.

But then again I don't have kids or a wife so I can allow myself to do it for now :p
I think if I were in your shoes, I'd probably do what you're doing as well. Prioritizing family over work.
..Afterall, businesses & money comes and goes, but your family sticks with ya through the thick and thins.

Long been an all in kind of person who ends burning herself all out. It's never really been the "I must be seen to be hustling 24/7", it's been more of a not being able to turn off at the end of the day when I had a coding issue that I knew had to fixed the next morning.

Last time I had a proper holiday? I honestly can't remember. The last 5 years have basically been a rollercoaster of business success, business failures and taking on slowlane client work while supporting family through ill health. The first part was sweet... not so much on the rest. Slowlane work stressed the hell out of me as I wanted to spend more time supporting family and when I was with family I was stressed about the work I had to do. Totally crappy (and self-inflicted) situation.

Hit with round three of more family issues in May, just as I quit my slowlane work. Last time it happened I went into panic mode and went full in grabbing any work I could. This time round I've been working on everything that went wrong before.

Issue 1: Working with demanding clients / project managers owning my time - My time is now my own. Clients are delivered products / services without me having to engage with them (unless I want to)

Issue 2: I used to work a 7am - 3pm UK work day and then start work with the US from 10am - 3pm their time (on top of having to fit in family issues in breaks (so no breaks!!) - Now I schedule a normal 9-5 with Pomodoros through the day to give me breaks. Sure I often work longer than the actual 9-5, but it's out of passion, not stress and panic.

Issue 3: Hadn't had a holiday in 5 years - Got to admit I haven't figured this one out as with family in and out of hospital I don't want to be too far away... I am spending at least a couple of days a week working from a local hotel though.. does that count ;)

Cant say you had a boring journey though :p The tougher the journey, the more you appreciate the end result :)
I wouldn't mind having those crazy hours into some of my projects. I hear some people working 12+ hours on things for prolonged periods and I always wondered how. I've worked long hours too, but I was never able to sustain it for long before I burned out.
(Might be kind of weird but I value hard work. I believe hard work is the path to success ;P)

I'm trying to figure out the holiday thing as well. I went overseas to Korea a couple months ago for a few weeks and it took me 4-6 weeks to get my habits back up to par after returning. Mostly my fault though. I went at the worst possible time and I did absolutely no work at all while I was there (due to family AND also thinking that I should lay off a bit).
Next time I'll probably still do SOME kind of work at least to nurture the consistency and have more time for myself.

Last edited:

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I try to work almost every chance I get.

Between my day job, working out and other commitments I try and schedule at least 2 hours per day for important work. I usually wake up to work for an hour before work and then I'll work for an hour or two after I get home from work/gym.

Weekends for now I try to really take advantage of usually working in morning Saturday and Sunday and then for a few more hours in the afternoon.

Sometimes more sometimes less, I tend to get frustrated with myself because I feel like I'm not making enough progress and know I can be pushing harfer.

What is important to me is that I'm getting better and better each week, but still nowhere close to where I want to be in terms of work ethic.

Days off are not really an option right now for me. I am "working" something 7 days a week.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Cant say you had a boring journey though :p The tougher the journey, the more you appreciate the end result :)
I wouldn't mind having those crazy hours into some of my projects. I hear some people working 12+ hours on things for prolonged periods and I always wondered how. I've worked long hours too, but I was never able to sustain it for long before I burned out.

I've got to say it taught me a lot about focus. I worked my UK "day" alone and was fairly productive, but my US day was with a business partner on Skype / Teamviewer with me constantly. I can't say my work was always amazing (it often took twice as long as it would have if I'd been less depleted energy wise), but I would push through because 1) Someone was watching me and pushing me towards a goals 2) I was often exhausted so I wouldn't waste time because I wanted to stop. It showed me what I could achieve when pushed... something even being pretty motivated myself, I would have doubted.

I'm trying to figure out the holiday thing as well. I went overseas to Korea a couple months ago for a few weeks and it took me 4-6 weeks to get my habits back up to par after returning. Mostly my fault though. I went at the worst possible time and I did absolutely no work at all while I was there (due to family AND also thinking that I should lay off a bit).
Next time I'll probably still do SOME kind of work at least to nurture the consistency and have more time for myself.

Truth is I see entrepreneurs like competitive athletes. If you want to keep performing at a high standard then you have to keep training off season otherwise it's an uphill struggle to get race fit again. It doesn't mean you have to be a workaholic, but keeping yourself accountable to put in some effort while you're away does wonders. I know taking a bit of time off recently that it was an uphill struggle to click straight back in!

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
I try to work almost every chance I get.

Between my day job, working out and other commitments I try and schedule at least 2 hours per day for important work. I usually wake up to work for an hour before work and then I'll work for an hour or two after I get home from work/gym.

Weekends for now I try to really take advantage of usually working in morning Saturday and Sunday and then for a few more hours in the afternoon.

Sometimes more sometimes less, I tend to get frustrated with myself because I feel like I'm not making enough progress and know I can be pushing harfer.

What is important to me is that I'm getting better and better each week, but still nowhere close to where I want to be in terms of work ethic.

Days off are not really an option right now for me. I am "working" something 7 days a week.

I know how that feels! When I had my job before I had to get in work whenever I had the time, just like you I was working 1-2 hours before my shifts and after my shifts until 2-3am.

It's tough because your work is so split up, Rather than flowing off of a "good wave" you always have to start, then stop, then start and stop again. You never really get a chance to freely flow for hours and hours.

But at least you keep progressing. It's better than not doing anything. Many people in your shoes would probably spend those hours to kick back and relax from their jobs instead of putting in the work like you're doing.

It's true though, I've gotten the MOST work I've ever gotten done from quitting my job though. You also have to remember that there's a learning curve to everything. Majority of the work is learning to get past the learning curve and becoming proficient at whatever your doing, and if it's an online business you have a LOT of things to learn about (marketing, web design, adwords, fb marketing, copywriting, etc. etc.)

I've got to say it taught me a lot about focus. I worked my UK "day" alone and was fairly productive, but my US day was with a business partner on Skype / Teamviewer with me constantly. I can't say my work was always amazing (it often took twice as long as it would have if I'd been less depleted energy wise), but I would push through because 1) Someone was watching me and pushing me towards a goals 2) I was often exhausted so I wouldn't waste time because I wanted to stop. It showed me what I could achieve when pushed... something even being pretty motivated myself, I would have doubted.

That's pretty awesome. Once you've gone past your limits, you see how much you can handle, and the next big task just becomes "Oh, I've done that before, I can do it again".

Truth is I see entrepreneurs like competitive athletes. If you want to keep performing at a high standard then you have to keep training off season otherwise it's an uphill struggle to get race fit again. It doesn't mean you have to be a workaholic, but keeping yourself accountable to put in some effort while you're away does wonders. I know taking a bit of time off recently that it was an uphill struggle to click straight back in!

That's a great analogy, I've never thought of it that way. But I can definitely see that now. Entrepreneurs do work in High intensity environments ans adapt to it over time. It's just that it's more mentally intensive rather than physical.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
What is your consistency like? What is your work capacity like? How many hours can you work in a day on end? How do you know when to take a day off? Is it scheduled or is it on feel?

Scheduled for sure.

5:30am to 5:00pm Mon-Fri
5:30am to 11:00am Sat
6:00am to 9:00am Sun

Evenings I work on business outside my main business, between house stuff, kid homework, workouts, etc.

Friday and Saturday evenings are reserved for the wife, and I protect those hours. No work, no phone.

Sunday's after 9:00am I spend with the wife and kids, my parents, etc. I protect those hours from work as well.

Once a year I take the wife and kids on a week or so vacation. Following the script on that one lol.

1-2 times a year, in the winter, I get a bit stressed and sick of the cold and fly me and the wife out to somewhere warm for 3-5 days. Usually only give the wife a 3-5 day notice on when we are leaving. Then she has to scramble to get out of work for those days. Says she hates doing that, but she secretly loves it haha.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

It's a way of life, essentially. At some point you just cross over into living it, and not thinking about it.

I'm an entrepreneur, pure and simple. That's my identity.

That's my identity, whether I am a successful entrepreneur at this moment or not.

Would I work for someone else again if I had to? Sure, of course. But it would be a temporary thing, as working for someone else is incongruent with my identity.

G

GuestUser450

I think most get to the point where they find a cruising gear.

I have no scheduled breaks, just whenever my body says so. If I'm tired of screen time, I'll go to the gym or hit range balls. And without fail, something will pop into my mind and I'll want to go back.

When a project comes up, it's all that exists and I hole up with caffeine and a mathrock playlist to focus and burn through it (parkinsons's law).

The only thing we plan are vacations - we're sunbirds and try to get outta dodge before the first 110 degree day.

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
It's a way of life, essentially. At some point you just cross over into living it, and not thinking about it.

I'm an entrepreneur, pure and simple. That's my identity.

That's my identity, whether I am a successful entrepreneur at this moment or not.

Would I work for someone else again if I had to? Sure, of course. But it would be a temporary thing, as working for someone else is incongruent with my identity.

That's a beautiful way to think about it.

When you've trained consistently for a years at a competitive sport (like powerlifting) you start to understand how powerful habits are. That's when I adopted a similar mindset.

Even after years of consistent training, I still get days where I don't want to go to the gym, or cheat on my diet. But I still do it, because it's a part of me now. It's a habit that I've made a lifestyle.

I used the same break through while creating this business. There's still days where I want to take it easy, but habit and lifestyle changes keep me moving forward at a consistent pace (and habits are easy to maintain while a bitch to make all over again).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.